1. Stocks flat after recent runs. Metals flat to up.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Am. Gold is up slightly, +.5 to 1264, while Silver is up 2 to 1739. Crude is down 44 to 4918. The USD is down 5 to 9887.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

Woman Finds Her Own House for Rent on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Other Investments' started by Scorpio, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Woman Finds Her Own House for Rent on Craigslist
    By
    Credit.com

11:00 am ET
    March 29, 2016

[​IMG]
    KaraGrubis/iStock

Imagine looking at ads on Craigslist one day and seeing your family home for rent, only you didn’t post the ad and have no intentions of renting out your home.

That’s what happened to Lourdes Guerrero, who owns a home in the greater Los Angeles area, according to a local CBS news affiliate.

A friend reportedly showed Guerrero the ad, and she called the listed phone number. The man on the other end “went silent when she told him she was the homeowner,” according to the CBS2 report.

The news affiliate called the number later and received a “mailbox full” message. Fortunately, the ad did not include Guerrero’s address, according to the report.

“This is where I’m supposed to feel safe with my kids,” Guerrero reportedly told CBS2. “I don’t need random people coming here. That’s scary.”

The situation didn’t end so well for Samantha Sari.

Sari reportedly saw the ad on Craigslist, which listed the home as a rent-to-own for $1,100 per month. When she called about the home she was asked for a $40 application fee and provided her credit card information.

How rental scams work
    Both women encouraged renters to do their homework before paying—good advice given rental scams happen all the time. They usually involve bogus advertisements for desirable rentals at affordable, if not bargain, prices. And, as in this case, you’re asked to submit an application for a “background check” or given another reason that requires personal information such as your Social Security number, bank account, or credit card accounts—everything an identity thief needs to make fraudulent charges on your dime or open new accounts in your name.

Last year, a Florida family actually moved into a home that was part of a Craigslist rental scam. It turned out the house was a bank-owned foreclosure that sat vacant for a few months, but someone reportedly advertised it for rent, eventually getting more than $2,000 in rent money from a woman and her boyfriend, WESH-TV reports.

Protecting yourself
    Craigslist did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Guerrero’s story or rental scam ads in general. However, it recommends that users refrain from giving out financial information, not rent or purchase sight-unseen, and refuse background or credit checks until they have met the landlord, among other things, to avoid scams.

To protect yourself in general, if you’re dealing with a manager or agent, it’s a good idea to ask for proof that the person has a right to sign a lease on behalf of the owner, and check the information with the owner. If dealing with a real estate agent, search for the person’s name at the Association of Real Estate License Law Officials or contact the licensing office in the agent’s state.

Finding a home or apartment to rent can sometimes be complicated, especially if you have no credit or a bad credit history. Before you start searching for a new place, get an idea of where you stand—you can get a free credit report summary every 30 days on Credit.com—and consider trying to improve your credit before you look for a new home. If that’s not an option, you may be able to find a broker or apartment-finding agency that can help you find landlords willing to work with bad-credit applicants.

———

This article was written by Costance Brinkley-Badgett and originally published on Credit.com.

http://www.realtor.com/news/real-estate-news/woman-finds-her-own-house-for-rent-on-craigslist/

platinumdude, glockngold and searcher like this.
  2. latemetal

latemetal Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Nasty surprise, I wonder if she should have called police...?

Usury likes this.
  3. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Man who stole a HOUSE and sold it for $500,000 after forging a judge's signature so he could claim ownership is jailed for 15 years
    • Joseph McCray, 54, jailed for stealing a Brooklyn brownstone in 2015
    • He forged a judge's signature to claim ownership of the brownstone
    • McCray then illegally sold property in Bedford-Stuyvesant for $500k
    • He was jailed on Wednesday for seven-and-a-half to 15 years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3988940/Joseph-McCray-jailed-stealing-Brooklyn-brownstone-forging-judge-s-signature.html#ixzz4RaN9uwpz
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

4. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    Never steal anything you can't move

The owner will always be able to find it

5. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yet the killinton krime klub runs free in a wake of death, prepaid favors and corruption as far as the eye can see.

Flight2gold likes this.
  6. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Because they have something on just about everyone who would prosecute them,
    #pizzagate, extortion, fec, death threats

7. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Angry neighbor sues Brooklyn brownstone owners who painted their historic million-dollar house BLACK
    • Evette Simmons was stunned when her tenants informed her that her new neighbor had painted her brownstone black - AND hers
    • She came home to find her exterior wall was painted pitch black, and a black railing was installed on her wall
    • She said the neighbor agreed to compensate her for the damage but when she hired a lawyer they stopped returning calls
    • The brownstone has been in her family for over 100 years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4431370/Woman-s-brownstone-painted-black-neighbors.html#ixzz4eu4R1ewH
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Ensoniq likes this.
  8. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    Lol

Colorblind or bored

Brown is the new black or something

searcher likes this.
  9. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Hmmmm...if I saw something of mine on CL for sale or rent, I'd inquire about a face to face Meeting. Make that a fist/boot/bat to face meeting on second thought....

10. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    That has happened here. The thing is that the people doing the paper work are bored and slack, they just transfer the feckin title because no one would sell a house they don't own... right? The ball buster is that once transfered, even in error, it seems to be hard to reverse!

God love the government!

11. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

http://fox8.com/2017/03/21/man-charged-in-deadly-akron-shooting-over-stolen-dirt-bike/

Man charged in deadly Akron shooting over stolen dirt bike
    Posted 6:17 pm, March 21, 2017, by Dave Nethers

AKRON, Ohio- A 24-year-old man was shot and killed late Monday after offering to sell a dirt bike on social media.

A local family believed the $4,000 Yamaha dirt bike to be the same one that was stolen from their garage in February 2016.

When they learned that it was being offered for sale online, they began communicating with 24-year-old Keith Johnson. The family agreed to meet him on Danmead Avenue in Akron.

"We do know there was some communication on Facebook messenger so they are making the communication, they attempt to hook up to see the bike and they finally meet last night," said Akron Police Lieutenant Rick Edwards.

"They meet on Danmead, they get into an argument over who owns the bike. The bike is reported stolen. The 40-year-old actually has a title for the dirt bike saying he reported it stolen, that its his bike," Edwards said.

Johnson's father, Shawn Johnson, told FOX 8 News his son had the bike for only about three months after buying it from a friend and had no idea it was stolen.

"He told them he didn't steal it and he bought it, and he wasn't just going to give it to them. They could give him some money, they could have it back. And he tried to leave and they shot him," Shawn Johnson said.

A caller was on the phone with 911 when the shots were fired. The caller was attempting to get officers to the scene to help them convince Johnson to give back the stolen bike.

Noises, like a motor revving, can be heard on the call. Then a man takes the phone away and confesses that he believed his family was being threatened so he fired the fatal shot.

William S. Knight, 63, explained he is a CCW permit holder and he felt Keith Johnson was going to hurt his son-in-law. He said his son-in-law was trying to prevent Johnson from leaving with the dirt bike.

"The (bike's legal owner) grabs onto the bike and the suspect that's on the bike. And that's when the father-in-law fired a shot and struck the 24-year-old male that was on the bike and struck him in the head," Edwards said.

Knight was arrested and charged with felonious assault and involuntary manslaughter

12. latemetal

latemetal Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

My brothers bike was stolen, and then listed for parts in a local paper, he arranged for a cop to be around when he looked at the bike...the juvie was arrested, but he was allowed to move out of state to be with his dad. My brother did get his bike back.

13. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Some redneck adult knocked me off a Schwinn Stingray I owned back in the 70s. I was about 12 years old and bought it from the original owner who was my best friend's brother who got it as a new Christmas gift in 1968. I chopped it and put on a 10-speed seat like we used to back then. I rode it past some guy's house and he charged out and knocked me off the bike. He flipped it over to read the serial number and figured out he got the wrong bike.

I never said anything to anybody because it would have started a war in my neighborhood.