• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

6.5 Grendel AR Upper came in

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This came in today and will go on a Colt Match lower that's been tricked out. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can wring out of it & be mostly hand loading as soon as all the crap arrives.

I can only hope that it shoots as good as it looks. I've shot a lot of benchrest in addition to other things over the years so it takes a LOT to impress me for accuracy.

As you can tell from the pictures, I bought it from Grendel Hunter, a relatively new outfit, based on several web claims of very good accuracy. It cost about $600 but that's as a complete assembled upper with bolt and bolt carrier, hand guard, flash suppressor, etc. Not bad since I've been paying around $425 for match grade chambered barrels for my competition bolt rifles.

The 6.5mm Grendel round upper will fit onto any milspec AR15 lower and feed rounds using magazines that will fit into any standard AR. It likes 6.5mm (.264) bullets from 107 to 125 grains and, depending on barrel length, will launch them at up to 2700 fps. The 6.5mm bullets have such high ballistic coefficients that the round will stay supersonic well past 1000 yards. Energy levels at any range are well past 5.56 levels.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
What method do you use for working up a load?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I had no Idea you could send a Grendel that fast. I thought they were more like 23/2400 FPS

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What method do you use for working up a load?
It helps if you have a compact reloading rig that you can easily set up at the range. It also helps that, compared to my usual bolt guns, loading for this will eliminate one of the main variables, bullet seating length. But that still leaves bullet type, powder type and weight and, to a much lessor extent, primer. I've found primer manufacturer to be a smaller variable compared to the others. I just tend to feed eveything Federal 205M and 210M. I've also used CCI and I've even got a case of Wolf small rifle magnum primers back there. I've also found that the occasional Unicorn barrels that I've lucked into that will put out consistent match winning accuracy tend to shoot damn near anything I feed it. Probably the most important variable tends to be bullet seating length which I can't play with on a magazine fed autoloader. You can if you want to single load.

I've got 3 bullets and 2 powders to start. I'll pick a bullet/powder load about 2 grains below max and load 5 of each type of bullet and do it again for another powder. After shooting all that, definite preferences are usually showing up. Then I start playing with charge weight. You can only have 1 variable change with each test. That's why I load at the range, I can get it done in a day. If I had to go home to load at each stage, it would take forever.

Or you can really get lucky and have one of those rifles.

I understand that Grendel is a round that really rewards hand loading. Not too surprising since 6.5 Grendel is a necked up 6mm PPC, the most accurate cartridge ever.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Looks like fun.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
That looks like a nice piece of equipment.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
What bullets and powder do you plan to use to work up your loads?

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As soon as my dies and brass comes in I'll start with Exterminator and Benchmark because I already have them. For the same reason, I'll start with Sierra 107 & 120 BTHP and also Nosler 120's. I'll buy some 8208 powder and Hornady 123 ELD because that combo seems to come up a lot for a really successful load. If I can get this thing well sub-MOA, it may be fun to shoot it in a 600 yard F-Class match. My home club, Riverbend Gun Club in North Georgia has those matches monthly. It would also probably work well for 500 meter silhouette.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I got some parts in today. Fun little 10/22 build
10 22 victor titan.jpg

Replaced the factory barrel with A Kidd 18" heavy, slid it into a Victor Titan stock with a rear anchor bolt. 20 MOA EGW scope rail, with Seekins rings and an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5x27x50 optic. A BX trigger group should be showing up sometime this week. Victor also advertises a full length Swiss Arca rail designed for this stock but are currently out of stock.
Sorry for photo quality, Not everyone can be a TomD