• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

70's silver art bars

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
ya know dont forget teh first art bars were made in the 60s, I think by foster mint, one of them being what was called the eagles nest collection.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
ya know dont forget teh first art bars were made in the 60s, I think by foster mint, one of them being what was called the eagles nest collection.
That is correct Southfork. I have seen those before in the past on ebay. Those are Foster Mint bars. As far as I know, the Foster Mint is the only private mint that was making silver art bars in the '60's.

Last edited:

Chester-Copperpot

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Picked up a cool 70's art bar today. Paid $34 for it, which was the going rate for silver today. Tried doing a little research on the bar, but didn't find any matching listing or images.
Cool little bar.

artbar.jpg
artbar 2.jpg

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Picked up a cool 70's art bar today. Paid $34 for it, which was the going rate for silver today. Tried doing a little research on the bar, but didn't find any matching listing or images.
Cool little bar.

View attachment 12033
View attachment 12034
Generall speaking, Madison Mint art bars are fairly common. Independence Day and Bi-Centennial silver art bars that were minted by Madison Mint and other private mints during the '70's are fairly common pieces based on what I have observed at LCS's and on ebay. I looked in a couple of my silver art bar guidesbooks and I did not find any specific information on how many of this particular Madison Mint silver are bar were minted. However, like most Madison Mint silver art bars, they will more than likely sell in the high $30's/low $40's on ebay given that spot silver price is in the $31 range. The price you paid for it is not a bad price IMO considering that dealers are raising premiums on .999 generic silver.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Lawrence,

That is the first time that I have seen a Tri-State Refining silver round. I am not familiar with Tri-State Refining but I looked in one of my silver art bar price guides and there were several Tri-State Refining silver art bars that were minted in the 1980's with the same reverse type as your silver round. Based on what I have seen in the price guide, most of those Tri-State Refining bars were "special occasion" themes such as Happy Birthday, New Baby, Happy Anniversary, Mother's Day, etc. Those seem to be common-minted silver bars and I suspect that that round is a common-minted silver round.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've got a few too. The only one above water is my dragon. I think there I have a couple different designs that are somewhere on the ocean floor that I am unable to get to for a picture.

Attachments

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Lawrence,

That is the first time that I have seen a Tri-State Refining silver round. I am not familiar with Tri-State Refining but I looked in one of my silver art bar price guides and there were several Tri-State Refining silver art bars that were minted in the 1980's with the same reverse type as your silver round. Based on what I have seen in the price guide, most of those Tri-State Refining bars were "special occasion" themes such as Happy Birthday, New Baby, Happy Anniversary, Mother's Day, etc. Those seem to be common-minted silver bars and I suspect that that round is a common-minted silver round.
Does "common-minted" mean something particular in this context? You'll have to forgive my ignorance.

I've seen a few like mine on eBay in the past.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Does "common-minted" mean something particular in this context? You'll have to forgive my ignorance.

I've seen a few like mine on eBay in the past.
What I mean by "common-minted" when I refer to a particular silver art bar means that there were a lot of those minted or there seems to be a lot of those floating around at various local coin shops and/or on ebay. These are not rare silver art bars. Silver art bars with high mintage numbers can be also common-minted silver art bars. At times, this can be subjective. In the post that you quoted, The Tri-State Refinery silver art bars are common-minted because even though the one of my guidebooks does not list a mintage number, the rarity value tends to indicate that it might be common-minted silver art bars. This is not a universal definition but when I say "common-minted", it helps me when I write a post when I describe or talk about a particular silver art bar especially when it comes to how rare it might be.

Examples of "common-minted" silver art bars.

1. Merry Christmas (with some exceptions)

2. Holiday-themed bars (ex: Thanksgiving, Independence day, Labor Day, etc.)

3. Mother's Day

4. Father's Day

5. Hamilton Mint bars (most of them typically have mintage numbers range from 5,000 to 10,000 per bar)

6. Silvertowne art bars (with some exceptions)

7. Madison Mint bars (with some exceptions)

8. Mother Lode Mint bars (with some exceptions)

These are some example of "common-minted" bars or bars that are in abundance at various coin shows and local coin shops. These are the art bars that you will more than likely will see in the .999 generic silver bin of a local coin shop and these are treated as .999 generic silver and are priced like .999 generic silver.

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Thanks. Not '70s, but that reminds me of something. Do your books say anything about New Millenium Group silver art bars? They were minted by the Franklin Mint for a guy who started a ponzi scheme and used them as bait. I have a couple but I don't know much more.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks. Not '70s, but that reminds me of something. Do your books say anything about New Millenium Group silver art bars? They were minted by the Franklin Mint for a guy who started a ponzi scheme and used them as bait. I have a couple but I don't know much more.
I am not sure. I need to check my silver art bar guidebook to see what info I can find. There might be something in the 5th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar price guide but I do not have that 5th edition. However, I do know a little bit about Franklin Mint. From my past observations, most of the Franklin Mint silver art bars that I have seen are sterling silver but there were a few .999 pure silver art bars. There were some 1000-grain bars that were minted in the 1970's that had a name of a bank from each of the 50 states. There were 50 different 1000-grain Franklin Mint "Bank" sterling silver bars that were minted at that time. Those bars are fairly common.

There were also some 500-grain Merry Christmas sterling silver art bars that were minted throughout the '70's. I do not have any Franklin Mint silver art bars because I usually do not deal with sterling silver.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
These are 1oz bars of .999, if the markings are honest.

I have seen that silver art bar before. As a matter of fact, I think that I recall seeing that bar a few months ago at my main dealer that I go to but I did not buy it at that time because it was not on my wish list. I did find that silver art bar listed in one of my silver art bar guidebooks but there is not much mentioned about it. Honestly speaking, I did not know anything about this silver art bar except from what I read in your earlier post and the fact that I have seen it a few months ago.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I Really like that eagle bar. Thanks for posting Lawrence (thanks button gone)

Gold Rush

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Found this one today, at a lcs for a 1.10 over spot..has 1977 saturday evening post on the side edge, and .999 f.s on the other side edge wish the guy would have had more of these..I liked the fact, that it was a Norman Rockwell scene..also when I threw it on my scale, it came out to 31.9 grams...

Attachments

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Found this one today, at a lcs for a 1.10 over spot..has 1977 saturday evening post on the side edge, and .999 f.s on the other side edge wish the guy would have had more of these..I liked the fact, that it was a Norman Rockwell scene..also when I threw it on my scale, it came out to 31.9 grams...
Good score Gold Rush. Some 1-oz Hamilton Mint bars tend to weigh slightly more than a troy oz. Sometimes as much as 32.6 oz's. It depends. Sports-themed silver art bars are good to collect but then again I am biased since I love to collect sports-themed silver art bars and rounds. That is a good price that you paid for that silver art bar. $1.10 over spot is a good price to pay for ANY silver art bar. Congrats on your purchase. :)

Gold Rush

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Thanks Silver Art, yeah he had it in a box with some generic rounds..like I said, Wish he had more of them..I like the sport theme, and the Norman Rockwell theme as well...thanks for letting me know about the weight on them also..I'm going to make it a point to stop in more often to see what else he gets in..

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks Silver Art, yeah he had it in a box with some generic rounds..like I said, Wish he had more of them..I like the sport theme, and the Norman Rockwell theme as well...thanks for letting me know about the weight on them also..I'm going to make it a point to stop in more often to see what else he gets in..
That is why I like to go to various local coin shops because I never know what silver art bars that I will find when I go in. Most of the LCS's in my area treat silver art bars like any other .999 generic silver and price it accordingly (with some exceptions) and I know that I will get a good price whenever I find one. This year and in past years, I found several rare and semi-rare silver art bars by going to several LCS's and paid only .999 generic silver premium for them. Whenever I have extra cash, I always make it a habit to stop by a few LCS's to see what they have.

Shiny

Silver Member
Silver Miner
collecting support

I, for one, would like to thank "Silver Art" for all his support to all the potential art bar collectors. I have picked up some coca-cola bars based on the useful information he has made available on this, and other, forums.

What would be real good for the collecting community would be reasonable access to the various guides. It seems the available material is itself rare and expensive, when found. I am wondering if the informtion from the guides could be available on a website, assuming that copyright issues could be cleared. It would surely make it possible for potential collectors to get information about their objects of love/affection/lust.

I am thinking along lines of the silver strikers website where pictures and nominal info on mints and mintages could be found. Anybody know of any such site for silver art bars?

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Re: collecting support

I, for one, would like to thank "Silver Art" for all his support to all the potential art bar collectors. I have picked up some coca-cola bars based on the useful information he has made available on this, and other, forums.

What would be real good for the collecting community would be reasonable access to the various guides. It seems the available material is itself rare and expensive, when found. I am wondering if the informtion from the guides could be available on a website, assuming that copyright issues could be cleared. It would surely make it possible for potential collectors to get information about their objects of love/affection/lust.

I am thinking along lines of the silver strikers website where pictures and nominal info on mints and mintages could be found. Anybody know of any such site for silver art bars?
You are welcome Shiny. :) I am glad that the information that I posted was able to help you pick up some Coca-Cola bars. I love the silver art bar hobby very much and I just express that here (and elsewhere) and share what information, experience, and observations that I have gained over the years.

As for the silver art bar price guides, they are hard to find especially the Archie Kidd 5th edition silver art bar price guide. I have seen these 5th edition guidebooks selling for as much as $300 on ebay. I do not have the 5th edition but I have the 4th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook as well as a most recent 2009 silver art bar price guide. I use those mainly as reference books especially when I need to look up mintage numbers for a particular art bar.

As for rarity values, the guidebooks are way off on certain rarity values but I do not use the rarity values except to get a vague feel of what a particular silver art bar will sell for on ebay. The guidebook is just that.......A guidebook. In my opinion, ebay winning bids gives you more of a "real world" value of what a silver art bar is worth and the demand for it. Ebay BIN prices that actually sold at that price are also a good indicator of what the demand and rarity value. Ebay is close to a real marketplace as you can get IMO.

As far as I know, I do not think that there is such an official "silver strikers" type website for silver art bar but, in theory, that would be a good idea to have a website for that but, as you mentioned, there might be copy write issues involved but I am not very sure on that. I do not know if there will ever be a website that is dedicated to silver art bars and "real world" rarity values but it would make sense to me. Maybe IASAC (International Association of Silver Art Collectors) might one day decide to do that.

When Archie Kidd (and others) put together these art bar price guides, it must have been a lot of legwork involved to get mintage information, name of the private mint that minted a certain art bar, as well as how many were initially minted. You have to consider that there were hundreds of private mints that produced silver art bars as well as thousands of different art bars that came out especially during the 1970's decade. Archie Kidd did a good job IMO to put these guidebooks together when while he was alive and if it was not for those books, then I would not have gained the knowledge to help me find the silver art bars that I want to add to my collection.

The same also goes with the Tom Mock Coca-Cola guidebook. That took a lot of legwork on his part as well as help from other advanced collectors and other people who were involved with minting the Coca-Cola bars during the '70's and early '80's.

I applaud what Archie Kidd, Tom Mock, and others have done (via producing art bar guidebooks) to educate people like me who are still learning about various silver art bars. Even though I have been collecting silver art bars for just over 3 years, I still consider myself a "student" of the silver art bar hobby because I am constantly trying to learn and observe certain things pertaining to the silver art bar hobby.

Last edited:

Shiny

Silver Member
Silver Miner

As far as I know, I do not think that there is such an official "silver strikers" type website for silver art bar but, in theory, that would be a good idea to have a website for that but, as you mentioned, there might be copy write issues involved but I am not very sure on that. I do not know if there will ever be a website that is dedicated to silver art bars and "real world" rarity values but it would make sense to me. Maybe IASAC (International Association of Silver Art Collectors) might one day decide to do that.

When Archie Kidd (and others) put together these art bar price guides, it must have been a lot of legwork involved to get mintage information, name of the private mint that minted a certain art bar, as well as how many were initially minted. You have to consider that there were hundreds of private mints that produced silver art bars as well as thousands of different art bars that came out especially during the 1970's decade. Archie Kidd did a good job IMO to put these guidebooks together when while he was alive and if it was not for those books, then I would not have gained the knowledge to help me find the silver art bars that I want to add to my collection.

The same also goes with the Tom Mock Coca-Cola guidebook. That took a lot of legwork on his part as well as help from other advanced collectors and other people who were involved with minting the Coca-Cola bars during the '70's and early '80's.

I applaud what Archie Kidd, Tom Mock, and others have done (via producing art bar guidebooks) to educate people like me who are still learning about various silver art bars. Even though I have been collecting silver art bars for just over 3 years, I still consider myself a "student" of the silver art bar hobby because I am constantly trying to learn and observe certain things pertaining to the silver art bar hobby.
I can absolutely appreciate the amount of work that the guides took to produce. It is just a shame that these reference documents did not appear to have wide distribution and are so hard to find. I do feel that it makes it difficult for the true collectors to be educated about the art bars. In effect, if the general rarity of these bars were known, I would expect that the pricing would be more reflective.

As it is, many buyers are not basing their pricing on rarity as much as 'looks nice' or 'fits my themes'. Until buyers and sellers have a genuine understanding of the art bars themselves, pricing on ebay (and other markets) can be somewhat random. I have picked up some 'low mintage' coca cola bars - as well as some low serial number bars - but some have been from sellers that were listing the bars as almost generic 999 silver. While that is good for my wallet - it does make one question whether a $70 or $80 price for such a rare bar is reasonable when an accidental purchase for around $40 can be made here and there.

It would also be nice to share photos/scans of these bars to link them to a reference system. it could provide details for variations and help document the diagnostics involved. It would help make the hunt clear.

ccBIR-gen - sm.jpg

So again - thanks for the info - would-be collectors appreciate any information we can get.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

I can absolutely appreciate the amount of work that the guides took to produce. It is just a shame that these reference documents did not appear to have wide distribution and are so hard to find. I do feel that it makes it difficult for the true collectors to be educated about the art bars. In effect, if the general rarity of these bars were known, I would expect that the pricing would be more reflective.

As it is, many buyers are not basing their pricing on rarity as much as 'looks nice' or 'fits my themes'. Until buyers and sellers have a genuine understanding of the art bars themselves, pricing on ebay (and other markets) can be somewhat random. I have picked up some 'low mintage' coca cola bars - as well as some low serial number bars - but some have been from sellers that were listing the bars as almost generic 999 silver. While that is good for my wallet - it does make one question whether a $70 or $80 price for such a rare bar is reasonable when an accidental purchase for around $40 can be made here and there.

It would also be nice to share photos/scans of these bars to link them to a reference system. it could provide details for variations and help document the diagnostics involved. It would help make the hunt clear.

View attachment 12313

So again - thanks for the info - would-be collectors appreciate any information we can get.
Yeah I understand what you mean when there were not many art bar guidebooks that were distributed. When I started out collecting silver art bars in 2008, I had no idea about the rarity value of certain ones but I just liked the artwork on it. Before buying my first silver art bar guidebook on ebay, I used google and have been looking at silver art bars on ebay to see what they are. That was very difficult and sometimes the ebay seller did not know what he/she had. When I bought my guidebook, it helped me tremendously to gain knowledge and to have some understanding about how rare certain art bars were. Without those guidebooks, it did make it hard for me in the beginning to understand the true value of art bars and it also made it somewhat hard for me to understand why certain ones would fetch large winning bids.

To this day, I still use and will continue to use those guidebooks to help me learn more about art bars. I still look on ebay but most of the time, I just observe winning bids.

When it comes to buyers not pricing on rarity values, there are many reasons. As stated, lack of information plays a large part in this. As you mentioned, it can very difficult and very expensive at times to find the Archie Kidd guidebooks. A lot of those sellers are usually regular bullion dealers who either a.) do not know or b.) or may not care about rarity value and just want to move metal. Some dealers at coin shows are also silver art bar collectors and they have guidebook information to get an idea of what to price their bars. I have bought a lot of silver art bars at local dealers and from regular bullion dealers at coin shows and have found some rare and semi-rare art bars there for .999 generic silver premium. There will always be some high rarity art bars that will "fall through the cracks" and end up in the .999 generic silver bin at a local dealers store for $2.00 over spot.

For example, Finding and buying an $80 rare art bar for $2.00 over spot can and does happen but you have to consider that those bars are usually hard to find and it will not be everyday that you will find that you will find an $80 rare bar again for $2.00 over spot. Mintage numbers for particular silver art bars will play an important role in this. It can be a random thing and as long as local dealers treat silver art bars as .999 generic silver, then finding rare silver art bars for generic silver premiums will continue to happen and you will be rewarded.

If you buy a silver art bar from a local dealer, then more than likely you will pay .999 generic premiums unless it is a Coca-Cola bar and if that is the case, then some local dealers will charge a higher premium for them but under what they usually fetch on ebay. If you buy silver art bars on ebay, then you will pay "full retail" for that art bar since you have other silver art bar collectors that are bidding on them.

It would be nice to have a reference system for silver art bars but I suspect that may not happen in the near future. That would take a lot of work from several art bar collectors IMO. I am just one art bar collector and there are times that I have been wrong on certain things but I was able to learn from other silver art bar collectors. After all, I am always learning and observing. It is good to share information about a particular hobby to others because you never know how useful the information will be to others who share the same hobby and want to learn more. I am just glad to be of some help to you and others and that makes me very happy because I enjoy what I do and I do not mind taking the time to help whenever I can. After all, GIM2 is all about sharing information on different topics to help others achieve whatever goals that one wants to achieve pertaining to gold and silver and prepping.

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Here's two I know of that may be of help.

http://about.ag/Engelhard-1oz.htm

http://users.skynet.be/bs137951/

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

WOW!!!!! I do not know how I forgot about this second link. :thumb.aspx:

I communicated with IASAC member # 762 on another collector-oriented forum in the past and he is very knowledgeable about silver art bars. I think that he is on GIM2 and goes by the screen name of Orpheus72. His website was very helpful when I started out collecting silver art bars. Thanks for posting that. I feel bad for not remembering his silver art bar website because he has been helpful to me in the past on silver art bars.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here's a site that sells art bars, normally no info on them but a good value guide to see what the dealers sellf for.

http://www.rivercitycoins.com/silverartbars/silverartbar.html
I have heard of rivercity coins but I never ordered from them but I have looked on the rivercity coins link in the past and I will have to agree with you on this. Between Orpheus72's art bar site and the rivercitycoins site, that can give a fairly good idea of rarity value of certain silver art bars and can be a good reference without an Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook. It is a start for someone who does not have any silver art bar price guides.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
A couple of silver art bars that I bought at the coin show today..................................

This is a 1-oz "Old Barbary Coast" silver art bar (USSC-198A). It was minted in 1973 by United States Silver Corporation. I paid $45 for it today at the show (spot finished at $34.13/oz).

The next one is not a '70's silver art bar but it is an ok pickup.......................

It is a 1-oz "Good Luck" silver art bar (TM-30). It was minted in 1982 by The Mint. I paid $36.00 for it today at the show (spot finished at $34.13/oz). Only 250 of these were minted according to the the 4th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar book.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Winning is not always cheap..................................

It is a "Vince Lombardi" 1-oz silver art bar. It was minted in 1973 by Colonial Mint. I bought this today from a dealer and I paid $38.39 for it (11-25-2011 spot was $30.98/oz). Serial # 611. The TN sales tax of 9.25% pushed the final price to $38.39. I bought it since I have a love for sports-themed silver art bars and I did not mind paying that price to get it. The latest silver art bar price guide does not list a mintage for this particular silver art bar but, as far as I know, most Colonial Mint silver art bars are fairly common. What I like most about it is that the reverse side has a football-shaped indention.

~BS

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Art bars are a hard sale nowadays. Seems like after the economy imploded in 2008, there's less people willing to pay premiums for them.

I own/owned quite a bit of bars and have tried selling on ebay before without too much luck. They normally seem to sell for a few $ over spot, but because of ebay fees, you end up only getting spot. You'd have to sell at $10 above spot for it to even be worth selling there versus selling at normal bullion prices elsewhere. And a lot of the bars I was selling was R-3 or listed as $10-20 over spot on the rarity scale.

For example? Silvertowne bars 8 -16 in archie kidd's guide.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Art bars are a hard sale nowadays. Seems like after the economy imploded in 2008, there's less people willing to pay premiums for them.

I own/owned quite a bit of bars and have tried selling on ebay before without too much luck. They normally seem to sell for a few $ over spot, but because of ebay fees, you end up only getting spot. You'd have to sell at $10 above spot for it to even be worth selling there versus selling at normal bullion prices elsewhere. And a lot of the bars I was selling was R-3 or listed as $10-20 over spot on the rarity scale.

For example? Silvertowne bars 8 -16 in archie kidd's guide.
It depends on the silver art bar and what you are trying to sell it for. There will always be a demand for silver art bars but it might not be at $10 or more over spot. It might be just $5 over spot. It all depends on the rarity value and the demand for a particular one.

I also want to state that the Archie Kidd guidebook is just that........a guidebook. The "real world" values of silver art bars is on ebay. Ebay IMO is as close to a real world market place as you can get. R-2 and R-3 art bars will more than likely sell for less than $10 over spot with the given current spot silver price of about $31. R-2 and R-3 silver art bars will be much more sensitive to the spot silver price movement than R-4 or greater bars IMO. The prices for some of the silver art bars in the 2009 art bar guide book tend to be way off based on what I have seen on ebay.

Based on my past observations of ebay auction winning bids, Here are some silver art bars where the prices tend to react (up or down) to what spot silver is doing:

1.) Most Madison Mint art bars (some exceptions).

2.) Most Holiday-themed art bars.

3. Silvertowne (Mona Lisa Visits Japan is the exception because it is a rare bar)

4. Most Mother-Lode Mint.

5. The most common Coca-Cola art bars (ex: Chattanooga, Nashville, Atlanta) but the premiums move slowly on these.

6. Most Hamilton Mint art bars

7. Most Mother's Day, Father's Day, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary art bars

8. Colonial Mint art bars (Nude Marilyn Monroe and Vince Lombardi might be a couple of exceptions)

9. The most common-minted USSC (United States Silver Corp) art bars

Here are some types of silver art bars in that the prices are not nearly as sensitive to the movement of spot silver:

1. Most semi-rare Coca-Cola art bars (Shelbyville, Bristol TN/VA, Huntsville Cola Clan, Los Angeles, etc.)

2. All rare Coca-Cola art bars (Youngstown, Amarillo, Cornith, etc.). Spot does not matter for these.

3. Greathouse art bars (Dove of Peace, Lovebirds, and Bluebirds of Nature are the Greathouse exceptions)

4. The rarest International Silver Ingot Corporation (ISIC) art bars.

5. Green Country Mint art bars

6. Enameled versions of sports-themed art bars that were minted by The Mint as well as a few select late '70's The Mint bars.

7. Adult-themed silver art bars (Dr. Peepers, Crown Mint Beauties, etc.)

8. Most "Cancelled" versions of certain art bars.

9. Rare USSC art bars.

That above list is not nearly as perfect because there will be some exceptions to what I just listed above. It all depends on the type of silver art bar that you are trying to sell and the demand for that particular art bar. I spoke to a dealer that used to sell on ebay and I think that he also said that the premium would have to be at least $10 over spot to make it worthwhile. What is also happening is that the poor economy is also affecting rare and semi-rare silver art bar sales since those can be considered "luxury items" since those tend to sell at a high premium over spot than most other forms of silver. People (such as myself) who also collect silver art bars will also go to local dealers and coin shows to try to find the same silver art bar for a .999 generic silver premium.

EDIT: I will also have to be honest in that most of the Coca-Cola silver art bar prices that I have recently seen on ebay are holding up very well despite spot silver price falling to $30.98/oz. For example, with spot silver currently at $30.98/oz, most of the Chattanooga Coca-Cola art bars still fetch winning bids of between $47 to $55 on ebay. Some Atlanta bars are fetching around $45-$50 (and sometimes more) on ebay and Nashville Coca-Cola are selling anywhere between $39 and $55 on ebay. The Coca-Cola silver art bars are some of the art bars that are doing well on ebay right now based on what I have seen. However, Coca-Cola art bars, even the most common ones are hard to find at local dealers and even if you find some at some local dealers, then they will probably charge you a higher premium for them since those are some of the most popular silver art bars that were ever minted.

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Dont forget two of my favorites, the old JPM and Engelhard one ouncers, Pamp and Credit Sussie also command a preium.

~BS

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
yeah, it's crazy. Seems like people buy what's cool looking moreso than what's really rare. People go nuts over JM & engelhard, but the truth is, almost all of the bullion they produced isn't rare at all when compared to some other issues with much smaller mintage. Same with pamp suisse & credit suisse, both of them are still in production, but the weird size bars like 100grams, 3 ounces, silver pendant, 10 gram etc. command crazy premiums.

Hey, guys (Silver Art in particular). I picked up an interesting Johnson Matthey silver bar yesterday, and I was hoping to find out some info on it here. It has the Statue of Liberty on the front and CENTERRE on the back. It is stamped .999 Fine, has a serial number, a small JM with pickaxes logo and the date 1982 on it. I found a picture of one here (about the 15th bar down the page):

http://about.ag/JohnsonMattheySilverBars.htm

I honestly picked this up hoping to flip it if it was special. If not, no biggie. I'll just hold it for the silver value. Any info is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hey, guys (Silver Art in particular). I picked up an interesting Johnson Matthey silver bar yesterday, and I was hoping to find out some info on it here. It has the Statue of Liberty on the front and CENTERRE on the back. It is stamped .999 Fine, has a serial number, a small JM with pickaxes logo and the date 1982 on it. I found a picture of one here (about the 15th bar down the page): http://about.ag/JohnsonMattheySilverBars.htm I honestly picked this up hoping to flip it if it was special. If not, no biggie. I'll just hold it for the silver value. Any info is much appreciated.
Honestly, I do not know. :bear_unsure:

When I looked in the 4th edition Archie Silver art bar price guide, I did not see that particular bar. However, I did see that "Liberty-Centre" bar listed in the 2009 silver art bar price guide but there is no information listed except that it is serial numbered. I have seen a "Statue of Liberty" art bar on ebay in the past but the reverse was an MTB reverse. This is the first time that I have seen a "Liberty-Centre" bar. I am sorry for not being much help here and I have not seen a past winning bid on this particular bar.

EDIT: If anyone on GIM2 knows anything about this bar, then feel free to post on this thread because I do not know anything about this bar. I am curious too as to how rare it is.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Honestly, I do not know if it is rare or not. However, I can speak for the ebay seller because I have bought a silver art bar from this seller in the past and I had no problems with this seller. I will have to admit the fact that this ebay seller knows a lot more about this silver art bar than I do. I sorry that I am not much help here. :bear_cry:

~BS

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
jm and other larger refiners often make special bars for companies. They;ll often have the company's designs on front and rear, but in small print have the JM or other company logo to show that they minted the bar. Back then, i guess the POS and POG was lower, so they gave them away as awards or mementos or something.

Think I had a gold round from JPM (jp morgan) or something that was made by JM.

These things are probably rare with low mintage, but not sure how valuable as far as collectibility as they probably weren't created for normal circulation. Such as that JM refinery bar I posted a while back. They probably sold/gave those to employees to commemorate the opening of the refinery. They're not in the guide books because they weren't created for circulation and the mintage is too low.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I decided to list the bar on eBay in hopes of turning it into more silver. I am a fan of bars in particular, but do not consider myself a collector. So, any chance to add to the stack...;)

Anyway, it already has 2 bids and 7 watchers in less than a day, and I am already above my basis. If anyone here wants to see my listing, just search for Matthey Centerre in eBay. Mine is the toned one. I would consider ending my auction early as "no longer for sale" if any of my GIM friends want to entice me :).