• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

An exercise question for fitness buffs

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't do push-ups every day. But I've been doing a lot of push-ups and chins since the beginning of the year. I've noticed something that I cannot explain; but I know there is someone here who can. On push-up days I usually do 4 or 5 sets spread throughout the day and evening. In the starting sets, I'm barely able to pump out 71 or 72 (which is really the best I've ever been and pretty darn good for an old fart.) But by far my best set comes at the end of the day, when you'd think my arms should be wilting. On July 21 my set counts were 71, 71,71, 83. And yesterday I did 72, 72, 72, 72, 90. I'm stunned really and don't understand the biological explanation for why my last set should be my best. Someone on the forum has the answer.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't do push-ups every day. But I've been doing a lot of push-ups and chins since the beginning of the year. I've noticed something that I cannot explain; but I know there is someone here who can. On push-up days I usually do 4 or 5 sets spread throughout the day and evening. In the starting sets, I'm barely able to pump out 71 or 72 (which is really the best I've ever been and pretty darn good for an old fart.) But by far my best set comes at the end of the day, when you'd think my arms should be wilting. On July 21 my set counts were 71, 71,71, 83. And yesterday I did 72, 72, 72, 72, 90. I'm stunned really and don't understand the biological explanation for why my last set should be my best. Someone on the forum has the answer.
That's a lot of push-ups. Sounds like you have a lot of slow twitch muscle fibers as opposed to fast twitch. To me it basically sounds like your first sets are warming you up. What are your goals for doing them? Strength? Muscle development? Calorie burning?

FWIW A wide hand position with your hands turned out will target your chest more, narrow and closer to your headline will target triceps.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Maybe it’s psychological. I mean, knowing it’s your last set of the day helps you to blast out an extra 10% or so. Just a guess. FWIW, I’d be thrilled if I were able to do 71 for the whole day!

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Merlin is bragging again. I'm impressed. That's a lot of pushups.
I have always been a subcontracting kind of guy. Its usually better to hire an expert to do the important stuff...

When it comes to physical exertion of any kind - I prefer to subcontract out those activities...

Plus - a lot of "healthy" people die young. Look at Patrick Swayze as an example.

I would be more interested if they had a pill I could take that would make me buff in like 30 days or something...

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have always been a subcontracting kind of guy. Its usually better to hire an expert to do the important stuff...

When it comes to physical exertion of any kind - I prefer to subcontract out those activities...

Plus - a lot of "healthy" people die young. Look at Patrick Swayze as an example.

I would be more interested if they had a pill I could take that would make me buff in like 30 days or something...
I've never gotten over 155# and have been in the building trade most of my working career. Lugged AC units up three flights of stairs with out tiring. Still doubt I could have done 25 pushups at one time.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
most folks, when presented with that 'pill', refuse to swallow it...

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
because you are warming up your muscles with the early sets. As you progress you are looser and able to do more before tiring.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Mama mia that’s a lot of push ups!...

Just curious Brother Merlin , just how big a feller are you?......

In my mind I picture you as avg height and slim , 5’10” and 173....

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We were drinking in the barn awhile back, and had a little pushup contest. I can do about 40 then im done. My shoulder is fucked or I could do more.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
...well we know who would win our annual GIM push-up contest. Wonder who the pull-up champ would be.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
On July 21 my set counts were 71, 71,71, 83. And yesterday I did 72, 72, 72, 72, 90. I'm stunned really and don't understand the biological explanation for why my last set should be my best
Could there be a psychological aspect to it also?
I'm thinking you got more in the tank than you think, on the earlier sets. What's the odds that you'd max out at the exact same number 3 or 4 times in a row, then be able to do a drastically higher number? If it were a matter of being warmed up, I'd think that you'd see improvement throughout the day, not just in the last set.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Here is an article on strength and endurance muscles:
Generally, it is differentiated between two types of muscle, depending on the type of fibers they are made of: There are the slow-twitch fibers for endurance muscles, which are formed mainly during endurance sports. Marathon runners primarily exercise this type of muscle. A great deal less well studied is the second form of muscle consisting of fast-twitch fibers. These strength muscles gain in volume during strength training and provide particularly great muscular power.
https://www.sott.net/article/417408-Strength-training-might-come-at-the-expense-of-endurance-muscles

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Merlin is bragging again. I'm impressed. That's a lot of pushups.
When I was wrestling AAU 20s-30s. I would only do 3 sets of 100 per day 3 or 4 days of the week. Any more and your muscle stay in a constant state of fatigue.
The mind can always do more than the muscles can.
Work other parts of the body Legs or Abds on off days or do sprints 40yds Xs 10. Sprint 40@ 50%, walk 10yds, sprint 40 @ 70%, walk 10,yds, Sprint 40 @ 80% walk 10yds, then Sprint full go(100%) ...until remainder of ten sprints done.
FYI - Take a full week break away from all upper body work and then come back. My bet is you'll see a pop in all your numbers.
Those muscles had time to fully recover/repair.
I was stuck with a 300lb max bench for months. Some work changed where I missed two weeks of work outs. 1st day back I busted 320 for the first time after warming up.

Muscles need time to repair. Power and weight lifters only work very, very light weight or bare bars to improving technique the week before a contest. - NO HEAVIES til "show time"

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can do the same thing hexagonal dumb bells. Real studs will do regular round/circular weight dumb bells, Improves your grip.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, my left shoulder joint is a little f'd, so maybe there is a little cheat built in. I know that if I do my push-ups naked, my pecker touches the ground (there I go bragging again :) I'm not a big guy. Only 5'6" and 147 pounds. But I've lost 27 pounds during the past year. So, to some extent I'm not stronger, just lifting less. I started recording my push-ups back on January 26, when I could only do 36 push-ups. Since then, I have done 18,583 push-ups. That probably has an awful lot to do with my success. And thank you all for your comments. I appreciated them one and all!

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Is your form good? Or are you rushing it?

I use dumbbells and I go all the way down until my chest almost hits the floor and I come all the way up, and I go slow. I do a set with my arms wide, my arms closer in normal position, and what I would call a diamond push ups but I’m using a dumbbell.

I can only do about 45-50 a set, and I do 3 sets a day morning afternoon and night, 4 or 5 days a week. And I do my pushups after I do my curls with the dumbbell so maybe that’s why I can’t do so many.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My goal in all of this was to help preserve lean muscle mass -- something that is nearly impossible for older folks to do. I do push-ups one day, chin-ups the following day, and then a day of rest. My arms, shoulders, and lats are now very well defined, but not really bigger. Go figure. Oh, and on my day off I go for a bike ride (weather permitting.) Yesterday that was 8 miles. Not a long way on a bike. But far enough to get some fresh air and sunshine. I told my doctor during my last visit that I had seen some of his patients, staggering around the waiting room if they were able to walk at all. I don't want to be that way. Told doctor that I want to be healthy until the day I die. Like Jack LaLanne. He died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia at his home on January 23, 2011. He was 96. According to his family, he had been sick for a week, but refused to see a doctor. They added that he had been performing his daily workout routine the day before his death.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
From the numbers your doing it sounds like you don’t need it, but have you considered testosterone enhancement?

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
My goal in all of this was to help preserve lean muscle mass -- something that is nearly impossible for older folks to do. I do push-ups one day, chin-ups the following day, and then a day of rest. My arms, shoulders, and lats are now very well defined, but not really bigger. Go figure. Oh, and on my day off I go for a bike ride (weather permitting.) Yesterday that was 8 miles. Not a long way on a bike. But far enough to get some fresh air and sunshine. I told my doctor during my last visit that I had seen some of his patients, staggering around the waiting room if they were able to walk at all. I don't want to be that way. Told doctor that I want to be healthy until the day I die. Like Jack LaLanne. He died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia at his home on January 23, 2011. He was 96. According to his family, he had been sick for a week, but refused to see a doctor. They added that he had been performing his daily workout routine the day before his death.
I let myself get entirely out of condition. No, let’s face it, horribly out of condition, to be honest. I was as porky as the character in my avatar, Gimli. I am turning that around, though, mostly through dietary changes, at least at first. Eventually, I am going to get back to a strenuous conditioning program with the iron-pile, bands and road work.

I am like you, in the sense that I don’t want to be that old guy in adult diapers who can hardly get out of his chair to go across a room. Or like my father in law, who doesn’t know where he is, most of the time. I don’t want to live longer, but I want to be like Jack LaLanne, pushing and pulling at barbells the day before I die. Hell, it would be OK with me if they have to lift the damn barbell off me to put me in the body bag.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Go out like a man!

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
From the numbers your doing it sounds like you don’t need it, but have you considered testosterone enhancement?
I lost my left testicle to a torsion episode when I was 18 years old. My right nut was always substandard and 74 years haven't helped it any. I am already using a testosterone gel, without which my T readings drop off the bottom of the chart. I am now at the middle of the normal range, which for a man my age may in fact be above average?

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I am now at the middle of the normal range, which for a man my age may in fact be above average?
I’m not a doctor but it sounds like it.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I let myself get entirely out of condition. No, let’s face it, horribly out of condition, to be honest. I was as porky as the character in my avatar, Gimli. I am turning that around, though, mostly through dietary changes, at least at first. Eventually, I am going to get back to a strenuous conditioning program with the iron-pile, bands and road work.
If you have pounds to lose, dietary changes are required. If we are to believe the marketers of exercise equipment, which always present fit and trim 20-somethings, exercise is necessary. But I am here to tell you that what passes your lips has a lot more to do with it. The low-carb diet enabled me to lose the 27 pounds. The physical exercise produces the toned body muscles.

I have often argued that there are only 3 things we can use to effect positive health (excluding car accidents and self-poisoning with drugs and cigs.) We have the medical doctors to help us if we get sick. And, we have diet and exercise. Is there anything else?

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
And, we have diet and exercise. Is there anything else?
I believe your psychology can effect your health to a degree.

I know of a few old couples whom after one of them died, the other died shortly after... and the whole placebo effect. Staying in good spirits and having something to live for has got to be healthier than not.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

I am like you, in the sense that I don’t want to be that old guy in adult diapers who can hardly get out of his chair to go across a room. Or like my father in law, who doesn’t know where he is, most of the time. I don’t want to live longer, but I want to be like Jack LaLanne, pushing and pulling at barbells the day before I die. Hell, it would be OK with me if they have to lift the damn barbell off me to put me in the body bag.
I've lost 30 lbs over the past few months. Several years ago I lost 40. It's kinda fun to get careless & porky and then lose it all. :) If you want any tips I'll be happy to share what works for me.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I believe your psychology can effect your health to a degree.

I know of a few old couples whom after one of them died, the other died shortly after... and the whole placebo effect. Staying in good spirits and having something to live for has got to be healthier than not.
Mindset is everything imo.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I've lost 30 lbs over the past few months. Several years ago I lost 40. It's kinda fun to get careless & porky and then lose it all. :) If you want any tips I'll be happy to share what works for me.
I’m on a one meal a day, ketogenic diet. After about a month of it, I can say it’s been effective, but I haven’t gotten the results I had hoped for. I have lost fat, definitely and my blood sugars and blood pressure readings have improved. I was just at the doctor the other day and I had blood work and a urinalysis done. My triglycerides were phenomenal! The graph was a joy to look at, seeing the plunge in value there. Also, VLDL dropped.

My problems, so far have been that aches and fatigue have improved, but not totally gone. I want more energy! Also, my allergies are better, but still there. Digestion is better, but still giving me issues. Sleep is better, but not as good as I want. Am I asking too much, too soon? I don’t know, but if Merlin doesn’t mind, I would like to hear anything you care to add. I don’t want to hijack his thread.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I lost my left testicle to a torsion episode when I was 18 years old. ...
I’m sure there’s a helluva story there, but I totally understand if you don’t want to talk about it. It just sounds, ... intriguing.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I’m on a one meal a day, ketogenic diet. After about a month of it, I can say it’s been effective, but I haven’t gotten the results I had hoped for. I have lost fat, definitely and my blood sugars and blood pressure readings have improved. I was just at the doctor the other day and I had blood work and a urinalysis done. My triglycerides were phenomenal! The graph was a joy to look at, seeing the plunge in value there. Also, VLDL dropped.

My problems, so far have been that aches and fatigue have improved, but not totally gone. I want more energy! Also, my allergies are better, but still there. Digestion is better, but still giving me issues. Sleep is better, but not as good as I want. Am I asking too much, too soon? I don’t know, but if Merlin doesn’t mind, I would like to hear anything you care to add. I don’t want to hijack his thread.
I'd recommend several smaller meals to help speed up the metabolism and supply nutrients when you need them with intermittent fasting thrown in. What are you eating for your one meal?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I’m sure there’s a helluva story there, but I totally understand if you don’t want to talk about it. It just sounds, ... intriguing.
He was one of those unlucky guys that said, "I'd give my left nut for one of those." and happened to get taken up on his offer. :p

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'd recommend several smaller meals to help speed up the metabolism and supply nutrients when you need them with intermittent fasting thrown in. What are you eating for your one meal?
I’m eating meat and eggs, mostly, with cruciferous vegetables. No sugar, very small amounts of starches, like carrots, no bread, etc. The whole idea behind one meal a day is the fasting part of the program, with the approximately 23 hours of no food creating, actually, a faster metabolism and giving your whole digestive complex a long break from work. It’s surprisingly easy to maintain a once a day eating program, because it’s mostly protein and fat. What I’m thinking of doing is going lighter on the vegetables and leaning more on the animal proteins, like a carnivore diet. Many folks are reporting great results from it.