• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

anybody ever run one of these?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Im looking at possibly buying/running one of these on the back of the trapping rig. I have had problems in the past with getting blood everywhere hauling dead critters, getting yote blood on my 'clean' coyote gear. I am a caveman, just shoot em in the forehead and go, as you might imagine, the gore can be a bit much when youve got 10-15 song dogs in the back of the rig.

I figure at least one of you old farts uses one of these to haul around your powered wheel chair..........

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200511417_200511417

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Im looking at possibly buying/running one of these on the back of the trapping rig. I have had problems in the past with getting blood everywhere hauling dead critters, getting yote blood on my 'clean' coyote gear. I am a caveman, just shoot em in the forehead and go, as you might imagine, the gore can be a bit much when youve got 10-15 song dogs in the back of the rig.

I figure at least one of you old farts uses one of these to haul around your powered wheel chair..........

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200511417_200511417
Nope, but the reviews say it's tough and rugged. I think its a great idear.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Thanks for the reply dood, as I look at it I think its a go. Im going to get into skunks this year too, kind of serious like, I think it might be the ticket, just looking for some feedback.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks for the reply dood, as I look at it I think its a go. Im going to get into skunks this year too, kind of serious like, I think it might be the ticket, just looking for some feedback.
I've eyeballed similar for years. It's a brilliant temporary extra cargo hold. In your case I can't see any downside long as you have a spot to store it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
10 or 15 id guess, they go from 30-40 lb generally. They stack up nice and tight, since they are limp. I could beef it up in the shop and make the sides higher if need be. newmisty, ive got a 40 x 120 roundtop I think I can find a spot for it. maybe set it on some 30 gallon barrels.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
10 or 15 id guess, they go from 30-40 lb generally. They stack up nice and tight, since they are limp. I could beef it up in the shop and make the sides higher if need be. newmisty, ive got a 40 x 120 roundtop I think I can find a spot for it. maybe set it on some 30 gallon barrels.
40x120!? Dang, my dream "stuff" coverer.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It would take 3 men and a boy a year to clean all the shit out of it, you know the saying, fill er up.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
you know the saying, fill er up.
All too well! Recently threw out 2700 pounds of crap myself. I'd get into trouble with that much space.

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I've got the tray without the fencing. It's rated at 250 lbs but I've put close to 500 or more on it. Square tubing angle iron and expanded metal. It'll be fine. Maybe not for highway use lol

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What about license plate laws? You gonna just cover the plate with that basket and do as you damn well please?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
What about license plate laws? You gonna just cover the plate with that basket and do as you damn well please?
Yup pretty much, the only blacktop roads ill be on is when I cross em on the dirt. Im doing a community service. Noone will fuck with me here.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yup pretty much, the only blacktop roads ill be on is when I cross em on the dirt. Im doing a community service. Noone will fuck with me here.
Civic-minded individuals like you deserve respect. I wish someone would come here and fill a basket with wolves.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I know some guys up your way...........and I aint kiddin'.

:robber:

Pm me your general location, im up to a trapping thing in wyo in 2 weeks, all the montana boys will be there.

Theres gold in them their hills. Heck, go get em yerself. They are worth $500 apiece. All you need is a good thermal scope, a 22-250 that can shoot, and a bait pile. You can put the bait pile where you want.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
. Im going to get into skunks this year too, kind of serious like.
Now I know you are friggin nuts.
Never used a rig like that but had a trailer I pulled. That one would spook me in muddier conditions.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I know some guys up your way...........and I aint kiddin'.

:robber:

Pm me your general location, im up to a trapping thing in wyo in 2 weeks, all the montana boys will be there.

Theres gold in them their hills. Heck, go get em yerself. They are worth $500 apiece. All you need is a good thermal scope, a 22-250 that can shoot, and a bait pile. You can put the bait pile where you want.
I thought the wolves were protected?

Who would pay the bounty of $500 a piece?

And how much is one dead coyote going for these days?

Hystckndle

GETWHAT'SYOURS
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Lotta up north headed south here to Floriduh vacationers use them. And also a lot of weekend warriors.
Seem to work well.
Heavy back shocks are a plus.
Only hangup for me is side by side doors on the van and access.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I'd get or make one on these. Just ordered a hitch. Friend has the HF basket I am going to borrow before I buy anything.
Uhaul has small trailers for $15 a day.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Hitch+Stabilizer

Use this hitch immobilizer to keep your ball mount or hitch-mounted accessory from rattling and shifting in your receiver. Great for tow bars, high-low adapters, bike racks, cargo carriers, and more. preventable. By adding the Quiet Hitch to your setup, you can stabilize your hitch-mounted accessory as it sits in the receiver to eliminate rattle, sway, and all that extra play. Just slip the Quiet Hitch over

Fits 2 Inch Hitch

Standard Anti-Rattle

Accessory Anti-Rattle

Towing Anti-Rattle

Roadmaster

Universal

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I had a friend that hauled his dogs in a box built just like that;, as goes into the receiver. If I remember correctly he had a chev blazer and also had brackets and straps to keep the box from twisting on the reach of the platform.

U know what? don't ask as I am very tired. friken grass harvest has me swimming in days.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I've got the tray without the fencing. It's rated at 250 lbs but I've put close to 500 or more on it. Square tubing angle iron and expanded metal. It'll be fine. Maybe not for highway use lol
LOL

?!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Now I know you are friggin nuts.
Never used a rig like that but had a trailer I pulled. That one would spook me in muddier conditions.
There are some problems with these. I had one.

Physics says you are altering your vehicle's center of gravity. Not by much... but your rear will go down a bit when the thing is loaded. Has to, when ya thinks onnit.

This can cause some real surprises: Your vehicle is happily driving along, and the REAR hits something you drove over. This is very bad for your vehicle, no error.

Or... you need to back up, and the slightly tilted thing digs in to the dirt, stump, etc. behind you. Ditto on the very bad. <-- this one causes serious damage.

Lastly: Fully loaded (as the OP intends to be) with a new weight hanging from the center beam (out of spec for the vehicle, BTW), the ride gets goosey -- at the same time it deforms your vehicle frame. Tritto on the very bad.

I eventually gave mine away and got a dinky-but-handy trailer. YMMV.

LATE EDIT ADD: The wobbly tongue is a pain. The tube is loose as it gets. You will need a anti-wobble pin or some shims to quiet it down on your trip otherwise you are going to feel and hear every bump in the road. Oh. And mine bent (down).

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Put one on the front and one on the back and balance the load?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Trucks are made to have weight in the back.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I nearly knocked one off the ass end of an SUV that had the thing hanging out in the middle of the road while parked.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Trucks are made to have weight in the back.
Yeah. And when you put a heavy steel cage three feet off the end... and put 300 pounds of stuff in the heavy steel cage supported by one loosely stuck-bar-in-a-hole up the ass of the truck... the fucking truck ass dips DOWN.

Driving changes. Problems arise. Believe it, bro. Read my specifics above.

BTDT.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I think ill use my little trailer. I have had a yuuge load on the back end before, 40' gooseneck full full of cattle on a 1 ton dodge. Couldnt steer, it went like shit. Im pretty sure I dont need the drama.

I have plumb went out in the field before, because I couldnt get her shut down.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yeah. And when you put a heavy steel cage three feet off the end... and put 300 pounds of stuff in the heavy steel cage supported by one loosely stuck-bar-in-a-hole up the ass of the truck... the fucking truck ass dips DOWN.

Driving changes. Problems arise. Believe it, bro. Read my specifics above.

BTDT.
But it makes offloading so much easier!

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Looks nice. I have a "Hitch Haul" made for a 2in receiver. No walls on it. I have used it several times to transport deer for registration on the back of a minivan. I also picked up two plastic trunks at Walmart that fit perfectly and tie them on with ratchet straps. Works great when we go camping and need extra storage room (trunks have to be removed to open the lift gate, though).

Mine stuck out too far behind the vehicle, so I I pushed it farther into the receiver and drilled new holes for the pin. Now it sits close to the bumper.

One more thing... try to remember it is back there. If you walk around the vehicle at night you will end up with scars on your shins. Trust me.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Was over to a buddy's last eve and he has one for moving a powered wheel chair. He had a ramp up to it and was changing his lawn mower blades with it. Said it worked better for that than carrying anything else.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Also, mine fit loose in the receiver and was prone to rattling. I cut a piece of plumbing gasket to put under it to dampen the noise.