• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Anybody into Iris's?......

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
My wife and I have bought/sold and traded for Iris's over the past several years. Our favorites are the tall bearded variety but we do have several others. Here's a small sampling of some of my favorites

Teasing_Tiger.jpg

Aardvark_Lark.jpg

House_AFire.jpg

Waimea_Canyon_Sunrise.jpg

Draculas_Kiss.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Ours aren't doing so well right now!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Beautiful photos vichris, are they yours? (the photos, I mean).

Unh, but I always thought your avatar was a mushroom...
silly me

:D
BF

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
Beautiful photos vichris, are they yours? (the photos, I mean).

Unh, but I always thought your avatar was a mushroom...
silly me

:D
BF

No these pics are not mine. These are pics from the growers we buy some of our Iris from...... here are a few of my pics mostly taken with my phone camera....

2017-05-03 09.00.18.jpg

2017-05-07 03.27.46.jpg

2017-05-09 12.32.39.jpg

2017-05-07 03.30.27.jpg

2017-05-07 14.55.00.jpg

FB_IMG_1494598000154.jpg

Last edited:

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have a bunch at my house. They grow like weeds. Purple in color. Was told they are walking iris but they don't look like pictures on the internet. In fact, I assume they are somewhat common since they are quite hardy. I'll post some pictures when they bloom.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
didnt realize people were into those....we have some that come up where a old homestead used to be ...purples and yellows.....had visitors comment that they are a old variety (and will dig some up) because they are smaller ...but they are hardy we mow and horses graze the area during the summer but they come back every year...will hafta get pics this year

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
didnt realize people were into those....we have some that come up where a old homestead used to be ...purples and yellows.....had visitors comment that they are a old variety (and will dig some up) because they are smaller ...but they are hardy we mow and horses graze the area during the summer but they come back every year...will hafta get pics this year
They need to be dug up and separated every few years. They will bloom much better with more and bigger flowers . I separated mine about every 4 years and take the rizomes and trade them for different varieties.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice photos, vichris, they are at a higher resolution (300 dpi). Thanks for posting.

BF

Last edited:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I's didn't notice butt I see the spelling police have shown up.

popo.png

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
They need to be dug up and separated every few years. They will bloom much better with more and bigger flowers . I separated mine about every 4 years and take the rizomes and trade them for different varieties.
Have a friend that collects daylillies. And he has 100s of varieties. Some are so rare that when he posted a few blooms on Facebook, someone from the Botanical Garden in St. Louis was trying to talk him out of one of the varieties. Lol... Last fall he gave me a couple dozen, I hope they do well, they do kinda grow like weeds.

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Not an Iris and can't recall the name cause I'm 1/5 retarded. Blooms onto my back door(when it's open).

I've also got a couple of varieties of Iris(no pics) growing on the property and have some Italian Iris' in a pot that I'll transplant.

Attachments

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Do they flower up the stalk? Looks like a gladiolus....

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Tiger lilly from side yard

Attachments

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
That's it! Thank you Ms. BD. I kept thinking Geranium but knew it wasn't right. She's a beauty though eh'?

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
Do they flower up the stalk? Looks like a gladiolus....
Yup I concur gladiolus it is. I've grown them here in the past but they don' do as well as Iris. There's lots of varieties of them but no where near as many as Iris.

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
Have a friend that collects daylillies. And he has 100s of varieties. Some are so rare that when he posted a few blooms on Facebook, someone from the Botanical Garden in St. Louis was trying to talk him out of one of the varieties. Lol... Last fall he gave me a couple dozen, I hope they do well, they do kinda grow like weeds.
Day lilies have a strong following too. Not near as strong a Iris but I know several Iris enthusiast who also collect day lilies. I wish I had more room to collect a bigger variety of Iris. I do have a few day lilies too but we're both more attached to Iris. Both Iris and Day lilies have multiple Face book pages. I've started posting here more because I've about given up on fb.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
one of my many hobbies.
One of your hobbies collecting Amanita muscaria as well?
Somewhere in my photos I have a picture just about like the one you use for your avitar.
From my long time ago backpacking days.

BF

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Somewhere in my photos I have a picture just about like the one you use for your avitar.

BF
I have .... *Oh shut up Michael*

edit: I hate spell check when it goes unchecked....

vichris

Seeker
Seeker

BF
Actually NO. I just happened upon several of them one fall when I was out archery elk hunting (which IS one of my many hobbies). I always thought it would make a good avatar. I'm about 6 months shy of retiring. I often have people ask me why I'm retiring early (I'm 61), most of them asking what I'm gonna spend my time doing. These are a few of my favorite things.........

100_2546_edited.JPG

Last edited:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I'm retiring early (I'm 61), most of them asking what I'm gonna spend my time doing.
I'm 71 and the strange thing about being retired is, I'm having a hard time trying to remember how I found time to work. Work just always seemed to interfere with my hobbies.

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
Is that a HAND FULLA SNAKES?!

BF

Why yes.....yes it is. Lampropeltis mexicana thayeri or Variable kingsnakes, AND Lampropeltis alterna or Gray-Banded kingsnakes. I used to have a small business breeding and selling them. Unfortunately the BIG python and other large snake breeders DESTROYED our hobby. I keep a few as pets these days. I also keep box turtles and geckos as pets. Box turtles are by far my favorite. This time of year they are in brumation (hibernation). That's the cool thing about most reptiles they brumate for half the year. Gives me a nice break.