• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Anyone know a good place to buy unsearched rolls of Morgans?

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
There seem to be lots of Morgan dollar rolls available, but how can you be sure you’re actually getting one?
Any recommendations for best places to find them? Whst’s considered a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance,
R.

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
You'd probably be paying a heavy premium for coins that were already searched anyway, I always stay away from "unsearched" rolls. Almost everyone on Ebay using that term is hoping to take advantage of people who are hoping for a jackpot find when in reality its almost a guarantee that roll has been searched at some point (usually by the seller themselves as well).

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
There's no better time to store some wealth in silver than now. I've got a couple of rolls of Morgans but don't buy a ton of them because of the typical high premiums.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What are you looking for?
Most Morgans have been searched for the obvious errors but VAM's create a whole nother level of collecting

You said unsearched, not uncirculated so condition doesn't appear to matter

I've met people who collect coins with holes in them and lots of Morgans were used for jewelry and are drilled out
some of the more intriguing pieces are the ones where the field is cut away leaving only the design, really neat

There are better things to do than look for 'unsearched' Morgan Rolls, because you won't find any unless someone pulls one out of a safe, but, after the 70's and 80's when the last of the silver dollars were sold to dealers, and as VAM's weren't really on many collectors minds, grade of coin was hoarded, major errors were hoarded, key dates were hoarded, etc, but, i'd suggest that very few Morgans missed out on those 'inspections' and because of that 'unsearched' really doesn't apply to very much in the Morgan world, except to separate those with little experience and lots of money, from their money

anyway, 'nough 'bout me,
What are you searching for? but I repeat myself...hmmm maybe time to go get a beer

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Morgan dollars were stored in bags of 1000, not rolls. Any roll out there will have been, by definition, already ‘searched’. Still, as alluded to, there are many ways to search, or collect Morgan dollars. From culls to graded gems, in bulk, or by year, mint mark or variety. It is a great series, with a little something for almost anybody.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
DFA61E4B-3A25-4FC1-A93A-75B71C0D9167.jpeg
What are you looking for?
Most Morgans have been searched for the obvious errors but VAM's create a whole nother level of collecting

You said unsearched, not uncirculated so condition doesn't appear to matter

What are you searching for? but I repeat myself...hmmm maybe time to go get a beer
Thank you for the informative reply.

While I am generally not really interested in numismatics (what is VAM?), awhile back I picked up some miscellaneous sfuff for a reasonable amount from a local dealer. Among the items was this Morgan “set”.

Most of the coins are in VF/AU condition (and there’s several “O” mint coins (no CC’s though)). Among the many missing coins the set does not contain the rarer 1893,-4,-5 nor the 1901,-2, -4 coins though, and I would like to complete the set, this is the reason for my asking about unsearched rolls

R.

Last edited:

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Among the items was this Morgan “set”.
and I would like to complete the set,
Excellent, Excellent, making sets is fun, at first, then it gets old, then you find another 'hole filler' and it's fun again

what I've done in the past, for my 'hole filling' projects, I've shopped several local coin shows, as they come around BUT, as my hunt for the 'hole fillers' was initially my reason for going to the local shows, it quickly turned into a dud. I later equated that to watching a pot of water begin to boil, it seems to take forever but when you forget about it and come back later, it's always boiling, amazing, I know, so, what I did was put more focus on my hobby on my Top 1 priority and as filling the holes in my numerous unfilled coin folders was so old, I wanted to eat dirt, but as I went along filling my Top 1 priority, I soon discovered, by not even trying, I'd run across guys who had some of the 'hole fillers' I was looking for, even in past shows i attended, these coins were never on the table because they weren't the higher quality coins that they usually displayed and so, they thought it made their display look tacky, but, if you ask...

Point is, make your hunt for these coins have a purpose, but, make it a fun purpose, make it a purpose where you meet people instead of their coins, perhaps you'll strike up a conversation that follows into other aspects of, well, of anything and soon you're 'networking'...it makes filling the needs of your Top 1 priority all that much easier when you got other people looking for some of the things for you, like a purpose within a purpose

That's how poor people get the most out of their time
:2 thumbs up:

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I'm a sucker for displays, that's a nice couple pages you've got right there. and the one's that rotate, lol, how does that happen?
LOL
I don't own many 'sets' like this where they're displayed, they take up too much room, which is relative, basically I don't have the room otherwise, I'd probably have displays all across one wall, just because I could. It would cover the entire wall, I can see it now

and THAT'S why I don't have any displays...my wife would shoot me from across the house if she knew i was pasting another wall with something else
LOL

it's all relative, and now that i'm chuckling, my relative is my wife and i can't get shot because i stole your idea, eh ???

lol

:dog:

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
VAM is an an acronym for Leroy Van Allen and George Mallis. They got together in the 60s when the mint was releasing bags of 1000 Morgan’s for $1000 cash and documented all the different die varieties in the series. The encyclopedia they published is incredibly informative and will enrich any Morgan dollar collector’s experience.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
VAM is an an acronym for Leroy Van Allen and George Mallis...
Thanks for that, will look it up...

Yikes, I just visited a coin collecting forum where they were talking about some of these myriad VAM varieties! I have NO interest in collecting those LOL. I’d be happy to just complete a date set, and MAYBE after that, a date set of all mints.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Thanks for that, will look it up...

Yikes, I just visited a coin collecting forum where they were talking about some of these myriad VAM varieties! I have NO interest in collecting those LOL. I’d be happy to just complete a date set, and MAYBE after that, a date set of all mints.
That's cool. That's the way it starts - a few dates first, and later on every known VAM.;)

Seriously, though, if you come across the book fairly cheap it is a great read. The second part features the varieties, but the first part chronicles how the coins were made, and the political backdrop in the US that led to their manufacture. Very cool stuff.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Maybe coin shows or shops, ask a lot of questions. I do know dealers who buy them with many coins later grading gem or better. Good luck getting their PQ coins in rolls.