• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

B&D Old School 18v to New Stuff 20V, includes 12v

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Years ago, I invested in a Nicad battery pack system after going through a few years of having this brand tool and having this brand other tool, each had their own battery pack, and charger...I started with Makita but between the iirc: 7.2 and 9.0 system, and there were ways to make one work with the other on some tools...again, iirc, anyways, a few hundred dollars later:
I've got the 18v Black and Decker Drill, (matched the name on the 12v drill i had...), the Blower, the Yard Trimmer, the Reciprocating Saw, the Circular Saw, the Mouse...idk, i may have left out one...anyways...the system worked great, with enough batteries and the 'new' quick charging chargers the entire system was 'exactly' what I wanted, but, it was Nicad, bateries, batteries, batteries...so, I had plenty

For years, I figured out how to ebay the tool and end up with two free batteries, etc, i worked the system, until it no longer worked

16 packs later, it was time to consider a change as the 12v system, along with the 18v system were down to one battery each...

hundreds of dollars in tools, suddenly obsolete because the cost of a 12 month batter became $25 or more each, just too much, time to see what else was available

Lo and Behold, I found this:
1584512284206.png

Image is from Amazon, shop around, you'll find it cheaper on ebay, but, shop around

this handy adapter along with this puppy:
1584512996164.png

saved my entire system

Shop till you drop, pay the actual least you need to, the manufacturer seems to be the same...the dealers, shop them next for speed of arrival

anywayssssssssss.....
They work fantastic, even on my 12v drills...I had to hot glue the adapter in place after grinding out the 'stopper' on the frame of the drill that interferes with the 'male tab' on the adapter, my Dremel did the job

and it works just fine, spins up quickly, and these new batteries work just fine
I suspect they will 'burn out' but, I'm done with Nicad

I hope this can do some good for someone else...

and, beware, there are individuals selling bad packs from their personal stash, buy in multiple sets from 'dealers', some will ship from inside US

I've got 4 adapters and 3 batteries along with an old school 18v and 12 v nicad pack that are still good

I figure I saved having to replace $500 - $600 worth of good tools with this near $100 set up (I also picked up one Quick Charger and one Regular Charger) and I now use top-line technology

BTW:
Thank You Black and Decker, and Porter, who use the same battery pack, for making this type technology backwards compatible

something tells me 'they' didn't choose this but it was the 'cheapest way' to 'come to market' with 'up to date' tools, to 'match their competitors' who are also supplied by the same country, not only as each other, but, that brings us 'secondary technology' and 'copies' by the millions

makes me happier to think B&D choose to do this for US, the consumer, but i've been called dirty names before for being a dreamer

LOL

Well, there you go, I hope this helps someone out there, my reviews on this 'Update'
:2 thumbs up:

Bottom Feeder

Useless Eater
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I have a couple of those L-I converters (DeWalt) and discovered that if you leave the pack in the converter it runs down overnight.
Just my experience — YMMV
BF

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have a couple of those L-I converters (DeWalt) and discovered that if you leave the pack in the converter it runs down overnight.
Just my experience — YMMV
BF

so far so good, I've left the batteries in for several days now, working just fine

and, looking at the tools themselves:

Comparing the quality of tools, based upon the overall size of them, the new 20v drills, out there, are fairly small, my old 18v is much heavier and 'heartier' than the new stuff...

I can be a gorilla with my stuff and it appears the older tools are better than the new tools...even the case plastic is different

I wonder if the new plastic will melt if I get some brake parts cleaner on it?

idk, i've been happy with this change-over and wanted to share

Thanks for the heads up on Dewalt...I nearly went with their product line, years ago, I just couldn't part with the extra money they were asking...and they don't have a homeowner landscape tool line

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
That's just like when the Professor made a telephone out of a coconut on Gilligan's Island.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
makes me wonder:
Was Mary-Ann into B&D like I am?

Studiopaul

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
rigid where offering super deals on sets..lifetime warranty (not had to claim yet) used on a few building sites and they have taken a beating!
Dont by the home project stuff,, buy the contractor packs... my 2c

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
from here: https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/generic-dewalt-etc-batteries.466814/

o.k., my latest purchases:

1656529705343.png

and
1656529716693.png

at the first part of June, they released a set of 5 'Maker' tools and i bought these two because it seems the other three aren't available anywhere near me and these two were difficult to locate near me...

but, i can't use either of them until my adapters, which will allow my BD batteries to power these tools, arrive directly from China

these looked too cool to leave on the shelf and i'll use 'em as much as i do my beloved Bauer glue gun that also runs off of my BD batteries, that's one of my favorite tools...

i've also made a smaller blow-off tool and a water pump that both use my battery set, i made those with a couple of 'hot wheels' (they're called) adapters i bought from on-line

right now, 20v is Great but i'm suspecting some chips or some coding will cause this cross-use to end someday...but for now, i'm setting up with enough crap that should get me through till i'm dead and long gone

all of it usable...

:summer:

. . . on a side note . . .

something's seriously wrong with our production / transportation supply

when new tools come out and the distributors run out before the initial thirty day window of promotion expires, and i've not seen any of these new tools being promoted...either they didn't produce enough or they couldn't ship enough of them ?

these aren't top level tools, and i don't know anyone in the hobby industry who even knows they exist except for the 'professional' tool guys who've done a review on at least the rotary tool (he wasn't that professional...)

(the one i saw was funny, the guy was trying it out for the first time and didn't have that rheostat turned up, he was drilling holes at slow speed, he even stalled the tool, yep, and when he figured it out and turned up that rheostate, the tool jumped out of his hand, he fumbled with it...funny...)

anyways, my suggestion, if you need something hard, like a tool or some home accessory, across the next 5 - 10 years, better get it today because there's no way in telling what's going to be made again, ever

Last edited:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
from here:

function over, (way over), form...but they all work

1656529758106.jpeg

this is from a jumper / tire inflator box, it had a dead 12v battery, and a replacement battery is over $50

i separated the two devices and stripped the jumper side, then redesigned the compressor side to make it work...that 'foot' in the front is a piece of a wooden wedge that i cut / glued / painted to match...not bad eh?

i plugged it into my 20v pack and the inflator portion works great for blowing out smaller stuff - i cut the tip off of a ball inflator needle and jammed it into my extended hose

i installed a fan on the back to help keep that tiny compressor cool, so far, 2 months of use and counting, it hangs on a shelf with a telephone-cord handle i made for it, and i use it all the time

(my hot glue gun from HF...is my best friend right now : ) i use a battery adapter, to fit my BD batteries, on that Bauer glue gun and it works just fine)

here's another, a water transfer pump i use to transfer water from a storage set i have in the distance, run it for 5 minutes per small battery pack, then put another in for another 5 minutes then let it rest for half an hour - it's a temporary work around until i put in something permanent, then i'll do something else with it all, idk

1656529775969.jpeg

again, function over form, but it works great and saved me some money simply by using stuff i have around my place...btw: that's a 12v pump and using 20v to light it off makes it hum really sweat - this also has my patented telephone-cord handle for hanging off of a shelf using recycled CD drive magnets and some old broken bungies i had, i took and use those s hooks through a drilled out hole in that magnet base

yes sir...

and here's something i saw from Milwaukee and now Craftsman offers one but mine had to be 'better'
300w run / 500w surge and it'll run some limited things, for a fairly long amount of time

1656529792250.jpeg

note: this i have running 12v from the adapters which have a 12v plug on them

i tried 20v on the inverter, but it wouldn't start and i didn't want to damage it

again, it's limited to 300w, which isn't much, but it'll run my old-school dremel, which has a bent shaft and the bit cuts oval circles for my oval hinges i'm installing on some rectangular doors (i had to type that... lol)

hence, the 'give it a try' of that battery powered version

and since this is actually my 7th or 8th small rotary tool, i've outlived all the rest, except for my Rotozip (that's more mid-sized) and my badass air tools, die grinders are so cool but when i don't have my air compressor on / ready to go, that's when i'll use my craftsman, in the long run, with all the rest, i feel i got my money's worth, this one will probably end up the same way but they're all basically similarly priced in this category ...they're small tools and i gorilla them / i use them

anyways,

but i did save something because i have the ability to make cheap tools such as these, and use cheap tools such as these, to make other things happen...and for that: I'm Grateful

that was easy
:summer:

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
makes me wonder:
Was Mary-Ann into B&D like I am?

I still love Marianne, since I was a little guy, about 9 or 10. RIP Dawn Wells. Would that all girls were as sweet and pretty as you.

70AA596D-508C-45E6-AF57-04BE79C8F820.jpeg
54735804-958A-48F7-98EA-434BC67CE164.png
86A17CE0-8251-4770-9F34-D74C13B903D9.png

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
:banana:

no, wait, wrong one...

here we are:

:blond:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
well, both tools I got were functional, the fan was so well received, i got an extra for the wife and an extra for the tool room, very good tool to have

the rotary tool is hobby-type based, it's not a HD Dremel, but it spins up nicely and works very well at cutting and shaping things but i've got to be 'easy' with it, but every use i've put it through, it's functioned very well, except:
the tools breather holes are right where my hands go and the tool overheated a few times before i noticed what was happening...now it's not as comfortable to use as i've had to adjust my grip and i've begin to eye those air holes as perhaps needing a good 'update' and i'll probably widen them a bit, for better air flow

worth the funds spent, imho

but, the other day, i was working with my angle grinders, in the sun and was there for a while with the tools exposed right alongside me and i noticed, one of them began to have trouble running, in particular, staying running...i changed the batteries several times and the tool still had the issue so i put it into my mini-fridge for a few minutes and it worked flawlessly, with all of the batteries i had tried before - conclusion:

working with cordless tools, in direct sunlight will definitely affect the tools operation

that temperature sensor can get hot from the sun shining directly on the tool case, causing the machine to think it's overheating when it's actually not been used

and led lights? i bought two from china, worth the money and time spent waiting for them to arrive, the usb had 'quick charge' installed and my next project is to build an electrical tester using a voltage controller, Buck Controller, they're called

there are lots of choices to pick from and as it's for my own test bench, i think i'll spend upwards of $20 for one with a fan and some cool looking plexiglass holder

i'll do some testing and see what i need to attach a 'lesser' version to my 'hot wheels' adapters so i can always 'dial in' whatever i will need it for

it's like being on a tool truck, playing with this crap, and as long as china is selling switches by the dozen and circuit breaker holders and smaller electronic equipment by the onesies and twosies, and they're all less than a few bucks a piece, why not?

battery power IS the wave of the future, but what comes after lithium? what will scale up to beat lithium as the battery of choice?