• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Backup for Firefox 5.0 - today only

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Giveaway of the day offers Backup for Firefox 5.0. As always, GOTD must be downloaded and installed on the same day before a new program is offered for free. I will try the portable version of Firefox (bottom two in the list below).

Highlighted Features:

- Fast, proven and reliable backup and recovery
- Advanced features like encryption, validation, splitting etc.
- Self-restoring backup files
- Unlimited backup reserve copies to local, network and cloud storage
- Backup to Dropbox and to any FTP server
- Scheduled backups on a regular basis
- Continuous data protection (CDP)
- Data migration between different computers
- Support for portable editions of Mozilla Firefox
- Create a portable edition of Mozilla Firefox

https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/backup-for-firefox-5-0/

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
This installed OK, and it seems to work, but there are a few notes to consider.

1) Always - ALWAYS - create a restore point before installing anything. Most programs will uninstall OK, but a few leave lots of trash behind after uninstall, and a rare app can do damage to your computer. A restore point is your first aid defense against problems caused by programs you install.

2) After downloading a GOTD zip file, unzip it and then read the Readme.txt file. Usually the Readme file will give the license, and possibly notes about installation. Several GOTD offers, including this one, however, give a link to the developer's web page to request a license. Input a name and an email address where you can receive messages. Then the developer will email the license code needed to register this program. People who complain about giving their email address away are missing a key point. Email addresses are free and easy to create. I have one email that I use only for software like this, and I treat any other messages to that address as SPAM, which is then easy to delete since there will not be anything sent there that I want to read.

3) Most of the free programs GOTD offers will do a normal install into their own footprint (so they are easy to uninstall), but a few like this Backup for Firefox 5.0 require additional installations to Windows. I did install the SQL Server to complete this installation, but often I will just cancel the installation when it tells me that it will change Windows. At least this software provides an advance notice about the addition to Windows. Others I have seen just do the extra install without notice or permission, and then I am very happy I created the restore point.

gotd.jpg

4) After installation and registration, a quick visit to the Tools menu provides a link to create a portable version of Firefox. I haven't done that yet, but I doubt there will be any problems.

Portable.jpg

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
LOL at installing Microsoft SQL Server just to back up a few files. You could write a batch file in 5 minutes to do the same thing. And if you use Firefox as a portable program, you would not even need a batch file, just copy the Firefox folder and you have everything you need. Portable programs include all the configuration files and libraries in one folder. I have switched many of my Windows programs to portable versions.

https://www.portablefreeware.com/
https://portableapps.com/