• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Baseball player etiquette

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just watched Milwaukee humiliate the Cubs, which seems somehow like payback for yesterday's game. But I couldn't help noticing, as I've seen many times before, the way baseball players scratch and grope themselves inappropriately, chew gum or whatever with their mouths wide open, and spit constantly. And it's not just one player or one team -- it's the whole bunch of them. What's going on here? My parents worked hard to teach me that those behaviors are bad manners in public. What about being a professional ballplayer makes it ok? Oh, and a fair number of them are mouth breathers too -- even pitchers fresh to the mound who aren't winded yet. Anyone have an opinion on this very important topic?

the_shootist

The war is here on our doorstep!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
H
Just watched Milwaukee humiliate the Cubs, which seems somehow like payback for yesterday's game. But I couldn't help noticing, as I've seen many times before, the way baseball players scratch and grope themselves inappropriately, chew gum or whatever with their mouths wide open, and spit constantly. And it's not just one player or one team -- it's the whole bunch of them. What's going on here? My parents worked hard to teach me that those behaviors are bad manners in public. What about being a professional ballplayer makes it ok? Oh, and a fair number of them are mouth breathers too -- even pitchers fresh to the mound who aren't winded yet. Anyone have an opinion on this very important topic?
Have you ever played ball for money? It's a job and they spit and grope while they're doing their job. You have to walk a mile in their shoes to understand....that's all I can say

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
They are all foreigners now-a-days, without formal skoolin.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, not all of them. My personal view is that there is a cultural, historical component to the phenomenon. At one time there was a lot of tobacco chewing (which of course led to a lot of spitting.) Tobacco has been largely replaced by bubblegum and, of course, the spitting continues. As for the scratching and groping, I'd bet the jock straps are stimulating, unlike cotton boxers; and they're all young guys, so playing with themselves is expected. The mouth breathing I cannot explain. But I'd be willing to bet money that these guys don't act this way when they're walking down city streets. They do these things because they're baseball players. Shootist may be close to the truth.

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
What's a baseball game up to these days, 6 hours in length? Don't think I've ever gone that long without spitting or groping myself. Sometimes I go outside at work just so I can spit.