• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Best Investment for Today?

Rumpelstiltskin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The world is changing and I need a little help from my friends, as I readily admit that I'm not the smartest investor.

What is the best investment for today's volatile world?

Stocks? They rise and fall like the tide. A somewhat educated throw of the dice in the best of times.

Bonds? Governments and corporations become over extended and the issuer fails to meet its obligations.

Fiat money? Banks fail, inflation, etc. then a wheelbarrow full might buy you a loaf a bread as it becomes worthless overnight. I look at Zimbabwe currency as a lose example.

Gold? Holds it's value, but hard to purchase items unless you buy in bulk and then how is the gold verified to be indeed real gold?

Property? Not very liquid, although you could barter crops you grow, livestock you raise, etc.

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
As much self reliance as possible. Inflation in food and probably daily used items is coming one way or another. Cheap things made in China might become hard to get and if production moves pretty much anywhere or back to the US prices will go up.

Also a great time to pick up deals on people that want to eat and sell stuff off.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
according to the recent pandemic, toilet paper, bullets, iodine,rubbing alcohol, disposable diapers, ramen noodles and face masks look to be great Investments.

Rumpelstiltskin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
according to the recent pandemic, toilet paper, bullets, iodine,rubbing alcohol, disposable diapers, ramen noodles and face masks look to be great Investments.
I get your point, but could I sell these items in one to five years for a profit?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Invest in yourself. Learn something that you can use to help yourself, your family or even to take advantage of any opportunities that come your way. I think the days of plunking down dollars on an investment and sitting back collecting revenue are are gone for a good while.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Invest in yourself. Learn something that you can use to help yourself, your family or even to take advantage of any opportunities that come your way. I think the days of plunking down dollars on an investment and sitting back collecting revenue are are gone for a good while.
Yeah my carpentry skills are proven valuable in all climates. Been working steady through this whole "thing".

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
I think the days of plunking down dollars on an investment and sitting back collecting revenue are are gone for a good while.
naww, there are always ops,

just stay away from 'greater fool theory', ie buy now and hope like hell to sell higher to some other sucker later. Capital gains is icing, not the cake.

think in terms of income, now and in to the future,
then look at things that produce income, and you have your answer
realizing that income can come in a few different forms

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I get your point, but could I sell these items in one to five years for a profit?
Maybe not but you can use them at a discount. Take consumables of most any kind. Soap and shampoo don't go bad, buy 2 instead of 1 when they are on sale not when you need them. Buying a few extra things every trip & you don't stand out looking like a hoarder, use sales and coupons to reduce cost and stock up.

You won't believe how good it feels when everyone around you is worried about TP & your looking to top a few things off just in case..... because you already have everything covered.

Besides what can you sell to people that will have no money? Will the money even be worth anything? I think the past month shows how important actors or stupidbowl tickets are vs a pack of toilet paper or a full freezer.

Maybe a sideline business or two to generate cash flow.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I'm less interested in making a profit and more interested in surviving the food shortages that may, or may not occur.

If they don't occur, all the better, but if they do (as in say a viral pandemic causes unprepared people to go bonkers and empty the store shelves) I want to be sure I'm not one of those types.

Beef and Pork processing plants are shutting down. I can't have a cow or a pig in my neighborhood, though chickens seem to be ok. One of the 'benefits' from all those illegals coming to the US to do jobs that Americans just won't do (at that wage anyways!)

It seems the illegal's lifestyle back in Ol' Mexico was to have chickens and goats running all over the yard, so it was so prevalent here in the US that they changed the codes to allow said barnyard activities in cities. We're such a kind and gentle host and definitely not xenophobic!

Then again there's Ponce famously saying: "If you don't hold it, you don't own it."

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Pile cash. Dry powder for future opportunities.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Maybe not but you can use them at a discount. Take consumables of most any kind. Soap and shampoo don't go bad, buy 2 instead of 1 when they are on sale not when you need them. Buying a few extra things every trip & you don't stand out looking like a hoarder, use sales and coupons to reduce cost and stock up.

You won't believe how good it feels when everyone around you is worried about TP & your looking to top a few things off just in case..... because you already have everything covered.

Besides what can you sell to people that will have no money? Will the money even be worth anything? I think the past month shows how important actors or stupidbowl tickets are vs a pack of toilet paper or a full freezer.

Maybe a sideline business or two to generate cash flow.
When items (motor oil, TP, clothes, etc.) that you use frequently use go on sale, stock up. Most chain stores have their ads online. Its just part of life to seek out the sales to stretch a penny. Learn when certain items go on sale. Before Father's Day, men's clothes and tools go on sale. You can take advantage of sales and keep the pantry and closets well stocked.

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
In Wiemar Germany, many bought furniture (kitchen tables & chairs), stacking them... "Tangibles" against monetary inflation. Try for items that won't "go out of style" or get "mass-produced cheaper" in the future... or "go bad"... Think basic items that POOR FOLK will always need, if the "middle class" gets wiped out.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
In Wiemar Germany, many bought furniture (kitchen tables & chairs), stacking them... "Tangibles" against monetary inflation. Try for items that won't "go out of style" or get "mass-produced cheaper" in the future... or "go bad"... Think basic items that POOR FOLK will always need, if the "middle class" gets wiped out.
Like gold coins perhaps?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
intrestingly enough.....the things i noticed being gone or depleted early in covid.........was mostly paper products....toilet paper....paper towels.....diapers...tampons.....etc......then .....bottled water...fresh foods meats, eggs,milk,bread,potatoes,veggies.....then flour and sugar.....but i didnt go to the store but a couple of times mostly outa curiosity..............from what i saw the supply chain held up pretty well overall......but a good test would be just dont go to the store for a month or two and see what you end up needing most...

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Liquor.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The world is changing and I need a little help from my friends, as I readily admit that I'm not the smartest investor.

Stocks? They rise and fall like the tide. A somewhat educated throw of the dice in the best of times.

Bonds? Governments and corporations become over extended and the issuer fails to meet its obligations.

Fiat money? Banks fail, inflation, etc. then a wheelbarrow full might buy you a loaf a bread as it becomes worthless overnight. I look at Zimbabwe currency as a lose example.

Gold? Holds it's value, but hard to purchase items unless you buy in bulk and then how is the gold verified to be indeed real gold?

Property? Not very liquid, although you could barter crops you grow, livestock you raise, etc.

Easypeasy: ONE thing covers all your problems --

JUNK SILVER <-- recognizable (eg: fungible/spendable) on every continent in the world. Counterfeiting is minimal to non-existent due to the difficulty of reproducing silver that is worn.

Go for it. Safe as your momma's arms.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
This is too easy. Guns and lots of them (ammo too of course.)

If I have more than you, I can take whatever it is you've hoarded. <--answer assumes a full out end of the world, shtf apocalypse.

Otherwise, all of the above depending on resources.

and Cigarlover's daughters coffee <--- shameless plug

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Easypeasy: ONE thing covers all your problems --

JUNK SILVER <-- recognizable (eg: fungible/spendable) on every continent in the world. Counterfeiting is minimal to non-existent due to the difficulty of reproducing silver that is worn.

Go for it. Safe as your momma's arms.
Might be heavy but it's easier to barter with than an ounce of gold..........

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I think maybe get 3 or 4 cars of the same year /make/ model and a few sets of tires and lots of parts for said car. Remember they rationed everything in the ww's if your tires went flat you were screwed. Also oils and grease and filters etc... If they are all the same color you might get away with one set of plates....

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have thought about stacking cases of Anderson AR lowers. However, if the BATF accuses you of buying them for the PURPOSE of selling them you are sunk.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
maybe its time to get out the old muscle cars/boat-anchors.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I have thought about stacking cases of Anderson AR lowers. However, if the BATF accuses you of buying them for the PURPOSE of selling them you are sunk.
Be sure to use all them so if ever questioned you bought them to use.

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker

In terms of financial markets and non-consummable type items (so not food, fuel, etc)... I'd consider Harry Browne's Permanent Portfolio and Harry's Rules of Financial Safety in general. It's by no means a get-rich-quick type of a deal. I won't hijack this thread but will PM you some stuff.

Last edited:

rbh110

invest in yourself to keep your skills relevant.
Invest in features in your house (if you own one) to lower your operating costs (energy efficient lighting, insulation, timers, sensors, etc) often those pay for themselves very quickly and reduce your everyday costs of running your house after the initial expense, often subsidized by utility companies.
Pay off your higher interest loans - if you pay off mortgage, your net 'risk free' after tax return may be 2-3% which is much better than you will get on deposit. Auto and credit card offer a bigger opportunity since rates are often higher.
Markets face a demographic time-bomb as the boomers start drawing money out and younger investors fail to backfill their outflows putting downward pressure on prices in the future.

FIVN

Just sayin'.

Up ten bucks since last Saturday.

MIavatar

Silver Miner
BTC is up 5% too bad I only have .1.
I'm pretty much all into XTZ (Tezos) right now. I have a stop loss at $2.67 with profit taking in the $2.85 - $3.09 range.

Got some of this too.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
BTC is up 5% too bad I only have .1.
I'm pretty much all into XTZ (Tezos) right now. I have a stop loss at $2.67 with profit taking in the $2.85 - $3.09 range.

Got some of this too.

I feel like I should have some bit coin....but I really dont understand it and dont know how to "hold" it.......

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
taz be teazin'...