• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Best tactical flashlights

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have lately identified this as a hole in my preps. I have some good LED lamps for emergency lighting, but nothing for identifying potential threats. I don't expect Soros' rioters on my little country lane, but anarchy has a way of spreading. Then you also have the economic zombies and drug addicts.

So I want your recommendations for:
1. Duty flashlight (like security guard size) for casting a beam out of the house and across a large field
2. Pocket flashlight
3. Weapon mounted flashlight (don't like springy wires and clumsy contact pads -- just something with a switch on the back
-- Bonus points for recommending a good quality flashlight mount for M-LOK.

I prefer rechargeables with lithium batteries and docking station. Must be shock resistant and waterproof. Polymer OK, but no cheap junk -- just real high quality hardware.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Alright... no feedback here. Let me share what I learned.

So I talked to my friend who is an LEO. He said that his issued weapon lights (at County, then Federal level) are Streamlight, and he is a fan. So I have decided to add a couple.

For a weapon light the Remington 870 TL-Racker integrated forend ($120): https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tl-racker

1591044568960.png

For a handheld, the Streamlight HL5-X ($105): https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-hl-5-x

1591044635620.png

The forend is 1,000 lumens, and the handheld is a blistering 3,500 lumens. The handheld uses the USB rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I decided to put the light on the shotgun (18.5in barrel) because I keep it behind the bedroom door for "bump in the night". Seemed like a shotgun was a better choice for night-time encounters than the .300 blackout or the .38 special. Especially if I need to defend my chicken coop from night-time raiders.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I want a flashlight that has a switch that's easy to find in the dark, that only does two things: on and off. I don't want to have to follow and "special procedures" to turn the damn thing off when someone is shooting at me. The switch should be on the business end like the Streamlight above, not on the back where my thumb is not.

TRYNEIN

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have lately identified this as a hole in my preps. I have some good LED lamps for emergency lighting, but nothing for identifying potential threats. I don't expect Soros' rioters on my little country lane, but anarchy has a way of spreading. Then you also have the economic zombies and drug addicts.

So I want your recommendations for:
1. Duty flashlight (like security guard size) for casting a beam out of the house and across a large field
2. Pocket flashlight
3. Weapon mounted flashlight (don't like springy wires and clumsy contact pads -- just something with a switch on the back
-- Bonus points for recommending a good quality flashlight mount for M-LOK.

I prefer rechargeables with lithium batteries and docking station. Must be shock resistant and waterproof. Polymer OK, but no cheap junk -- just real high quality hardware.

I have one of these and I can spot someone down at the boat with it

https://www.powertac.com/Item/E20

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
reco replacing pocket light with, or adding a headlight. big BIG difference having both hands free when doing stuff

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I like headlights too. Problems I encounter with them is the spandex fails too soon, they take AAA batteries and the switches have too many modes.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I like headlights too. Problems I encounter with them is the spandex fails too soon, they take AAA batteries and the switches have too many modes.
I have a Stanley headlamp that is LED (400 lumen) with USB rechargeable battery pack on the back. Adjustable beam width. Three modes: bright, strobe, dim. I use it a lot for work. Eventually the elastic will dry rot and break, but I've had it a couple years with no issues.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stanley-400lm-rechargble-headlight-65437b

Out of stock and appears to be discontinued. Too bad because I love mine.

1591100374592.png

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
https://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.c...en-XM-L-1200-Lumen-option-on-checkout-007.htm

M3-2I flash light.jpeg

Yes the rubber on/off button is on the rear, but if you carry it in your 'off hand' with your pistol in your strong hand, no problem. Exactly as most LEO are trained to do.

I've had two of these for more than ten years and have never had a problem with them and we use them all the time. With four batteries, one each batteries in the flashlight with the other set either charged OR in the charger getting charged.

I paid a little extra ($10) for the 1200 lumens choice. Total of $82 and the charger is $60 WITH four Li-ion batteries included.

So for two flashlights and the charger $224 plus s&h - which is what I have. And like I said, for more than ten years. Love them and Greg McGee is a great guy and he stands behind his products that he imports from China himself, no middle man. And he's a one man show. No huge organization behind him. It's just Greg. He is in Denver, Co which is where I met him all those years ago.

But to be honest, my night vision is excellent and I regularly 'walk the property' with no light and only a firearm in my hand (down low at my side) and have never needed a flashlight when I do that. As I said above, when I do carry a flash light, it is in my off hand that I use to steady my pistol hand on top of my off hand. But that is so rare, but I do want to mention it.

Last edited:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
A hand held flashlight should not have a round bezel. You set them on the hood of your truck and the next thing you know the damn thing is on the ground. Hexagonal bezel is so much smarter.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Actually, take a CLOSE LOOK. It won't do that. Because it has four square sides at the rear and five square sides at the front.

It literally can be set down and it doesn't roll ANYWHERE.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I got the Remington 870 Express forend today... appears to be defective. I put the batteries in and the light comes on. Switch does not turn it off.

Disappointed. $120 flashlight from a company that is used by law enforcement. What ever happened to quality? I went out of my way to buy my flashlights from a company with a good reputation, and I was willing to pay premium prices for quality.

Their customer service is closed for today. I am going to call them tomorrow.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There's a flashlight reviewer guy on YouTube you may want to check out. I think this is his channel, though there are several out there...

I was watching a video of urban explorers who are giving a flashlight by what company in the thing was unbelievably impressive but I don't recall what it was unfortunately. .

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I got the Remington 870 Express forend today... appears to be defective. I put the batteries in and the light comes on. Switch does not turn it off.

Disappointed. $120 flashlight from a company that is used by law enforcement. What ever happened to quality? I went out of my way to buy my flashlights from a company with a good reputation, and I was willing to pay premium prices for quality.

Their customer service is closed for today. I am going to call them tomorrow.
Almost nonexistent customer service. Got passed around to 4 or 5 people before I hung up. Very unprofessional employees who don't know how to work their own phones.

Flashlight was returned to the retailer.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
O Light makes impressive, powerful hand held tactical lights but damn they ain't cheap!
I want one of those ultra bright blind a zombie lights that doesn't cost an entire cow. Still lookin.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got a USB-charged syslight. It works so well, I bought my wife one.

It has 4 brightness levels -- from 800-1300 lumens, with a super bright strobe available if rapidly double-clicked. Waterproof, about 5" long. No batteries.

Had it for two years, use it absolutely every day.