• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Big kitty

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
So i was just out standing on the deck drinking coffee.. Just to the south of me is another 10 acre property and deer hang out over there all the time. So as I'm standing there I hear the deer snorting like they do when they are spooked.. I know it wasn't me because it's to far away. The snorting just keep continuing for a couple minutes.. I have 2 outdoor cats that hang out on the deck and even they were up and looking around wondering what was going on.. So then I look to the west towards my driveway and something is walking up the driveway. Looks like a big brown dog at first. I'm thinking maybe its coming to raid the cat food. I'm watching it come about 1/2 way up the driveway and when it got close enough I saw it was a cat. Like 90-100 lb cat.. I went in the door on the south side of my house, grabbed my 45 and a camera and out the west side door where the cat was.. I looked all around and nothing. No prints, nada.

Just checked online. Definitely not a bobcat and definitely looks like a mountain lion. And no I haven't smoked any weed this morning.

the_shootist

Old White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It actually looked like Unca walts pic. Just a huge brown cat.. Didn't see it's tail, it was walking up my driveway towards me. Something got my neighbors 10 chickens in the last week. I told her I think I know what it was.. She then tells me that she thought she saw a huge cat last year going down her driveway but her BF told her she was crazy. LOL. Hopefully it's living in the area. Setting up my 4 trail cams today so if it comes back I can get a photo of it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The tail is a dead giveaway.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We saw Mtn Lions in SW Missouri quite often, the DNR said there weren't any...

the_shootist

Old White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
It actually looked like Unca walts pic. Just a huge brown cat.. Didn't see it's tail, it was walking up my driveway towards me. Something got my neighbors 10 chickens in the last week. I told her I think I know what it was.. She then tells me that she thought she saw a huge cat last year going down her driveway but her BF told her she was crazy. LOL. Hopefully it's living in the area. Setting up my 4 trail cams today so if it comes back I can get a photo of it.
Congrats on the new neighbor bro

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Thanks. I hear they are nocturnal too. Maybe they can be out when the meth heads come around and take them down as well. Not much meat on them though.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
So i was just out standing on the deck drinking coffee.. Just to the south of me is another 10 acre property and deer hang out over there all the time. So as I'm standing there I hear the deer snorting like they do when they are spooked.. I know it wasn't me because it's to far away. The snorting just keep continuing for a couple minutes.. I have 2 outdoor cats that hang out on the deck and even they were up and looking around wondering what was going on.. So then I look to the west towards my driveway and something is walking up the driveway. Looks like a big brown dog at first. I'm thinking maybe its coming to raid the cat food. I'm watching it come about 1/2 way up the driveway and when it got close enough I saw it was a cat. Like 90-100 lb cat.. I went in the door on the south side of my house, grabbed my 45 and a camera and out the west side door where the cat was.. I looked all around and nothing. No prints, nada.

Just checked online. Definitely not a bobcat and definitely looks like a mountain lion. And no I haven't smoked any weed this morning.
You don't list where you are; but in my city in "Urban Montana" the mountain lions are quite fearless. There's plenty of hiking trails through University and NFS land, surrounding the city...and you don't want to be out there after dark. Grizzlies are the lesser hazard - they just don't like to be disturbed.

A mountain lion, which is, genetically, 99 percent the same as Fluffy back home...that big cat keeps all the stealth skills, and all the cussedness, of a housecat. But NONE of the reasonable fears of a human - because, of course, he's about the size of a human, better equipped in a showdown, and he's learned how tasty are those self-delivering meat snacks, when he finds one on the trails.

The logical thing to do, of course, is to go out on the trails, armed. But that gives the University liberals, here, the vapors.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
the DNR said there weren't any...
Don't report this to the ODNR, they'll label you a nut.

Worked with a lady back some years ago, lived down toward Wellston, Ohio, she told me about driving home one night, we both worked at the same place, same hours, second shift. Anyway, long story short, she said she saw a large cat cross the road in front of her close enough there was no mistake that it was a cat, just large. I'd been to her house, lots of forest land in her area. She had tried to report it and was told there were no such "Mountain Lions" in Ohio.

They also say that about bobcats, but if you should happen to catch a bobcat in a trap, you are to release it. Go figure. If it ain't in their data base we don't have it and anyone who reports one is a nut job.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Don't report this to the ODNR, they'll label you a nut.

Worked with a lady back some years ago, lived down toward Wellston, Ohio, she told me about driving home one night, we both worked at the same place, same hours, second shift. Anyway, long story short, she said she saw a large cat cross the road in front of her close enough there was no mistake that it was a cat, just large. I'd been to her house, lots of forest land in her area. She had tried to report it and was told there were no such "Mountain Lions" in Ohio.

They also say that about bobcats, but if you should happen to catch a bobcat in a trap, you are to release it. Go figure. If it ain't in their data base we don't have it and anyone who reports one is a nut job.
With all the mobility we have, and all the "White Flight" out of Rust Belt regions like Ohoho (I can say that because I'm a native of the Mistake On The Lake)...

...with all that movement out, I'm surprised no clown has trapped a couple of mountain lions and stealth-transported them to OH and PA.

The cool forests...and all those cows to eat...oh, my...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mountain lions don't respect surveys of where they're supposed to reside...

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Maybe they can be out when the meth heads come around and take them down as well.
if that cat eats a meth head who's 'high', what happens to the cat, will it gets 'high'?

Edibles???

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
With all the mobility we have, and all the "White Flight" out of Rust Belt regions like Ohoho (I can say that because I'm a native of the Mistake On The Lake)...

...with all that movement out, I'm surprised no clown has trapped a couple of mountain lions and stealth-transported them to OH and PA.

The cool forests...and all those cows to eat...oh, my...
I lived in PA growing up, one of my uncles lived near us, I worked for him on his farm when he needed an extra hand. He actually saw mountain lions on his farm a few times. This was back in the 1960's, so yes, other people also reported seeing them. I saw tracks in the snow that could have been mt. lion, one time. Scary thing is, the tracks followed my older tracks in the snow except where mine ended the cat tracks continued.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I definitely wont call ODNR.. Not interested in anyone walking around my property. If I get photos I'll post them here for you guys though. :)..
So if there aren't any big cats in Ohio is it ok to make a rug out of one? Although I probably just leave it alone. I'm sure it'll kill the rattlers they released all over the place. The deer population could use a natural predator other than cars and SUV's.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
--snip-- She then tells me that she thought she saw a huge cat last year going down her driveway but her BF told her she was crazy. LOL. Hopefully it's living in the area.
A couple years ago, I saw bear tracks in our neighborhood, coming out of a stream, crossing the road and going back up the stream into the "woods". DW and everybody told me I was crazy, "there are no bears anywhere around here" I heard that for 2 months, they laughed. Then it hit the news that wildlife police captured a big black bear that had been travelling up and down that very stream for awhile. Wildlife can surprise you.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We have lions in the swamp. Some locals like to set up cameras and post the videos on youtube.

Just thought of it now... I am about a mile from a place that has had? a couple (Wildlife Refuge)

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I definitely wont call ODNR.. Not interested in anyone walking around my property. If I get photos I'll post them here for you guys though. :)..
So if there aren't any big cats in Ohio is it ok to make a rug out of one? Although I probably just leave it alone. I'm sure it'll kill the rattlers they released all over the place. The deer population could use a natural predator other than cars and SUV's.
Think you'd rather have the big cats, than the wolves the non-outdoorsmen "Environmentalists" insist on releasing out here in the open range.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A couple years ago, I saw bear tracks in our neighborhood, coming out of a stream, crossing the road and going back up the stream into the "woods". DW and everybody told me I was crazy, "there are no bears anywhere around here" I heard that for 2 months, they laughed. Then it hit the news that wildlife police captured a big black bear that had been travelling up and down that very stream for awhile. Wildlife can surprise you.
We had a black bear right over the hill from me a couple few years ago.. Haven't heard about it since.

They intentionally released rattlers?
Yes a few hills away from me I guess. They have tracking devices in them too so if you kill one DNR comes right out and knows exactly where it is.. By now their offspring are probably untraceable though...... They dropped them from helicopters a dozen or more years ago i hear... Guy at the end of the road had a 6 ft timber rattler that he killed and gave it to the lady I bought my house from. She cooked it up, said it tasted like chicken.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Guy at the end of the road had a 6 ft timber rattler that he killed and gave it to the lady I bought my house from. She cooked it up, said it tasted like chicken.
I have heard they taste like chicken.... what did she do with the skin? 6' would make a nice belt and a hat band!

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have heard they taste like chicken.... what did she do with the skin? 6' would make a nice belt and a hat band!
no idea, i never asked.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
There have been numerous reports of big cat sightings in Ohio. Mountain lions, for certain and some people have even claimed to have watched big black cats, from not too far a distance. Big black cat suggests panther. It shouldn’t be too surprising, Ohio and Pennsylvania, at least, used to be very prominent stomping grounds for the mountain lion. Penn State sports teams are called the Nittany Lions. I grew up in central Pennsylvania and our high school teams were the Altoona Area High School Mountain Lions. We had a very cool bronze mountain lion in front of the school.
247E3DDB-FEF4-436B-BC94-59BA341E7DE2.jpeg

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Talked to a friend in galia county today. He said they been seeing them down that way at least the last 15 years.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
As more and more people pile into the bush, some animals with big ranges have a hard time avoiding humans. Here in SE Co, a mt lion will range over a 20 x 40 mile area (more in breeding season, which is just ending), coming thru a given area on its 'loop' about once every 2-3weeks.

They are hard to hunt, they outrun lion dogs usually. They can supposedly jump 30 ft at a dead run.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
74597602_widepreview400.jpg
5421362059_b7cd92da2b_b.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Akin to what Cooper was describing

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
They are hard to hunt, they outrun lion dogs usually. They can supposedly jump 30 ft at a dead run.
Do you think you could train them to race on a track? :)
That would be fun to watch.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have heard stories of packs of lion dogs who couldnt shut it down, when they came to a side canyon, when chasing a lion, they go off the edge. have to climb down and shoot em, they are done.

Crazy stuff man............
Do they make nice rugs? I wouldn't shoot it anyway unless it was messing with me or my cats. If it comes back in 2-3 weeks I'll have the cams ready for sure.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Watching the training would be fun.
Cats tame fairly easy if starting with a kitten.
Training them to do tricks? They're not dogs.
Maybe could be done - not gonna try.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Cats tame fairly easy if starting with a kitten.
Training them to do tricks? They're not dogs.
Maybe could be done - not gonna try.
I’ve never tried to teach my cat any tricks, but I have retrained her behavior by just making it worth her while. They’re smart enough to “get it.”

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
9c744ed7dd90e63ce1951f32ea46e5b3.jpg

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
There have been numerous reports of big cat sightings in Ohio. Mountain lions, for certain and some people have even claimed to have watched big black cats, from not too far a distance. Big black cat suggests panther. It shouldn’t be too surprising, Ohio and Pennsylvania, at least, used to be very prominent stomping grounds for the mountain lion. Penn State sports teams are called the Nittany Lions. I grew up in central Pennsylvania and our high school teams were the Altoona Area High School Mountain Lions. We had a very cool bronze mountain lion in front of the school.
View attachment 167870
Anywhere there's deer or caribou, there'll be predators. And bobcats and cougars (mountain lions) are two prime predators for deer.

And they don't like people. Individually, they'll attack, if cornered or hungry...but mostly, they want to be far from man, from streets and noise and night-time lights.

In upstate New York, it's been a hundred-year problem with the deer population. Without bobcats to cull the herds, they grow, until limited by food supplies...and they become stunted and malnourished and diseased.

Before we got so terrified of guns, states used to deal with this by issuing more deer permits, or just allowing open hunting without permits. Now, hunting, like other manly pursuits, is on the wane. It's SUVs that are culling deer herds now; and that won't last.

I remember in Cleveland, 25 years ago. There was a bumper-crop of deer in the Metroparks - a greenbelt that encompassed the area on three sides. Interstates and the Turnpike were close enough that traffic was affected by all these hungry deer, who'd out-reproduced their greenbelt pastures.

Various city and suburban police marksmen were recruited, to cull the herds. These were expert shooters. The deer harvested were to be butchered immediately and the meat sent to the County Jail and the Warrensville Workhouse, a long-term county lockup.

And the snowflakes of the era, just about lost it. They DEMANDED that park rangers feed the deer birth-control pills, and demanded twenty-foot fences around the freeways. Accused the park rangers of mismanagement.

Well...something or someone has to control the population.

That could have been an opportunity, for a suburbanite living not far from the park (plenty do) who wanted to keep a pet mountain lion. Imagine! Raise it from birth...and it'll be fine with you.

But it'll still be an obligate carnivore. Gonna need some FLESH!...so, just turn it loose when you go to bed, like Fred Flintstone did.

It can go do its thing in the park, which is closed at sundown...

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I bet it saw you though.

Guaranteed!

They keep an eye on us humans.

How long was its tail?
I've seen a few cougars up close and personal, and thankfully they were not the least bit interested in me.

They prefer to eat deer, sheep and cattle, and thankfully we still have plenty of deer and herd critters around here.

Their fur has an oil which provides an amazing, reflective camoflage; like the alien hunter from the movie Predator.

My nearest sighting of about 30 feet, the feline was literally the same green as the bushes before it jumped into the sunlight while chasing a doe.