• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Buying PM with a Third Party Check

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I got a fat insurance check. Anyone know of any dealers that will take it for PMs?

Called around today, all said no. Only personal checks.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
NOPE. Why do want to send a Third Party Check ? Hell, Banks will place a HOLD period on big third party checks just to make sure they're good.
Deposit the check. Make your purchase.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If you just called around, of course they all said no. If you have properly cultivated a relationship with a local coin dealer it should be easy if you're not in a hurry. Just wait for the check to clear to pick up the goods.

Question: Why do you need to do it that way?

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
If you just called around, of course they all said no. If you have properly cultivated a relationship with a local coin dealer it should be easy if you're not in a hurry. Just wait for the check to clear to pick up the goods.

Question: Why do you need to do it that way?
You nailed it. This would scream red flag to me if I were a dealer. They work with small margins to begin with and having to wait for a 3rd party check to clear from someone they may not even know is probably not worth it.

And your question was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title before even reading the thread. I am curious about this as well.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
In 2003 I sold some land, the bank that was financing the purchase asked me how I wanted the check made out - I asked for two cashiers checks made out to pm dealers( I had two purchases queued up in advance) and the balance in cash. That is no longer permitted by the feds - you have to deposit the check in your account and have the cashiers checks deducted from your account, so they have a paper trail to stop terrorism financing.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
In 2003 I sold some land, the bank that was financing the purchase asked me how I wanted the check made out - I asked for two cashiers checks made out to pm dealers( I had two purchases queued up in advance) and the balance in cash. That is no longer permitted by the feds - you have to deposit the check in your account and have the cashiers checks deducted from your account, so they have a paper trail to stop terrorism financing.
Clever way of divining up proceeds.