• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Car wires/hoses and rodents...

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Just threw a bar of Irish Spring soap under the hood of a car I don't drive much, I went to see why the windshield washer wasn't working and found rats or mice chewed the hoses. Any other ideas?

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I don't know but I'm looking to get a cat or two. I just had some nasty critter chew up a bunch of things. Vacumm hoses, neg battery cable, ABS brake wire, and some freaking plug that was hard to find. Car was in the shop for a week.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Just threw a bar of Irish Spring soap under the hood of a car I don't drive much, I went to see why the windshield washer wasn't working and found rats or mice chewed the hoses. Any other ideas?
I have the same problem & it was really bad. Car, truck, motorhome & radio control servos. After a lot of damage I bought the small green pellets & it makes them bleed to death. I am near rodent free (you NEVER get rid of them) by keeping that stuff in the garage, barn & near the house, where the parrot won't get into them.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Oooh, I just remembered. Many years ago, my buddy got pissed about some rats that had invaded his place. He put a sheet metal plate down where they traveled & some wires hanging within an inch of the plate. He then hooked up 220 volts to each side & could hear the rats being electrocuted at night. Yeah he was a bit bizarre. BUT it worked !!!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
i have tried about everything in tractor cabs.....the best so far has been bait bars ...tomcat...victor...ramnik ...etc...

barn cats and black snakes also keep em down..

tried ...dryer sheets...peppermint oil.....traps....ammonia...cant remember it all

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have the same problem & it was really bad. Car, truck, motorhome & radio control servos. After a lot of damage I bought the small green pellets & it makes them bleed to death. I am near rodent free (you NEVER get rid of them) by keeping that stuff in the garage, barn & near the house, where the parrot won't get into them.
just so everyone knows...anything that dies from eating that stuff, cyanide, it's in their body when your pet eats it, and it can kill 'em

:dog:

just have to be dilligent and look for the carcasses...

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Cayenne pepper and/or peppermint oil are old timer's remedies. Don't know for sure how well they work.
The cayenne pepper did not work for me. Nor any sort of stinky essential oil type things.
RatX poison seemed to work this winter.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Oooh, I just remembered. Many years ago, my buddy got pissed about some rats that had invaded his place. He put a sheet metal plate down where they traveled & some wires hanging within an inch of the plate. He then hooked up 220 volts to each side & could hear the rats being electrocuted at night. Yeah he was a bit bizarre. BUT it worked !!!
I've definitely considered electric barriers.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They seem to love soy-based wiring. They chewed up the wire to my speed sensor.
When I took it to the mechanic he said he had same car, same model same speed sensor chewed out by rats.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Never had any luck with those aromatic type pepper sprays or whatnot. Poisons disturb me but they do seem to work the best.

I had a 1 ton dump truck a few years ago. Never got used much so it was crawling with mice. And it stunk like mouse piss making it less likely to get used. They even built a nest inside of a plastic owl I put in there to control them. One day I got in the truck and the mice seemed to be gone, nothing in the traps but there were spots around that looked like bird shit. Figured it must be snake shit because I found 3 or 4 molted snake skins under the hood and dash.

Mice are one thing, but if I'm driving down the road and a snake slithers up alongside of me- we're going in the ditch. Never drove that truck again. Pressure washed it in and out and sold it on Craigslist. Then bought a dump trailer. Best thing I ever did. Now if I can just keep the mice from chewing through the trailer wiring. Stainless steel wool helps but they always seem to get at the wires somewhere.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
There's a big difference between mice and rats. Packrats, also called Norway rats are much smarter than mice. I never had any luck getting packrats to eat poison bait. They quickly learn what traps are. They are so clever they use a stick to disarm the trap and then eat the bait. You might get one in a trap, then one in a live trap. I had several of them a year ago. Dog finally killed most of them after they disabled my truck by chewing wires.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Like all of you, I've had issues with this... remember back in HS my buddies dad worked on oil furnaecs and always had ignition transformers around, which made for a whole variety of mischief applications. My sister decided to let her rabbit run free, helped her move that darn thing chewed lamp cord, speaker wire, legs of tables, chairs..

So just what is the attraction to them, especially live conductors?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Like all of you, I've had issues with this... remember back in HS my buddies dad worked on oil furnaecs and always had ignition transformers around, which made for a whole variety of mischief applications. My sister decided to let her rabbit run free, helped her move that darn thing chewed lamp cord, speaker wire, legs of tables, chairs..

So just what is the attraction to them, especially live conductors?
Rodents chew all kinds of plastic besides wires.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Pack rats arent norway rats, they are wood rats. I find them easy to catch in live traps.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I have fixed much damage by rodencia in my day.

Cat damage as well. I have removed several dead cats from a serpentine belt entanglement.

Mercedes and other have begun using a soy based wiring insulation loved by mice and many species of air-fowl.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I've definitely considered electric barriers.
I have 2 of these. Works quite well. But you have to keep the metal surfaces clean.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
They seem to love soy-based wiring. They chewed up the wire to my speed sensor.
When I took it to the mechanic he said he had same car, same model same speed sensor chewed out by rats.
THIS.

Thank the eco-weenies for that. Manufacturers are pressured to use non-petroleum-based wiring-insulation and hoses. Soy-based compounds were a fast answer and made the Greens feel good.

They make owners feel miserable - miserable and poorer.

European manufacturers are the worst. On a hobby board, owners of new BMW motorcycles, who park their new, $28,000 toys in their sheds or barns over the off-season...have come out to find rodents feasting. Mouse infestations on motorcycles, goes with the territory - every owner/rider has a story about finding mice, alive or dead, nesting in the airbox of a Honda CB750. That happens, and cleanup is tedious, but not hard (aside from the hantivirus risk...hey, wear your old underwear on your face! Prevents virus spread...)

But, with the new non-petroleum-based polymers...the rodents JUST FEAST. And a wiring harness for a new BMW R1250GS, is not like that of a Honda Dream 305. You have digital gauges; drive-by-wire throttle; EFT closed-loop, with all the sensors; an electric fuel pump. You have traction controls. You have lights...headlights, auxiliary lights. You have power windshields that raise and lower on command. You have GPS and fuel-economy trackers.

You have **THE CANBUS** which makes all that wiring inaccessible, and off-limits, and impossible to bypass. What a mouse or rat or squirrel can do to a BMW's wiring, is more than an insurance company will pay for repairs.

What you have, come spring, is a pile of nearly-new parts, unrepairable for all that crap and all of it damaged.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
HEY !!! This is good for the economy, more jobs to sell parts & install them !!! NOT !!!! :totally steamed::totally steamed::totally steamed:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Cost me $1k to replace power steering hoses/cables on my RAM.
"Ram" = FIAT.

Euro-weenies, worried about "fossil-fuel" content in the wiring insulation, or in the hoses.

The Fiat clowns made them nice and tasty for vermin.

There's a reason why Fiat failed in North America...a SECOND time...and why Fiat, which was gonna be the brand to save Chrysler, sold 215 cars in 2020 so far. That's right...215.

Rams and Jeeps are selling, because the slack-jaws with penis-size issues, gotta have them some Biiiiig....TRUCK!...but, trucks engineered by Fiat, built in Detroit or Toledo, are no better than econo-shitboxes engineered by Fiat and built in the former Yugo plant in Serbia.

(It's true, look it up)

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
WHAT ????? DIY , :2 thumbs up::finished::oriental: much cheaper !
Are you cracked? HAVE you been under the hood of one of these new Gubbermint-compliant vehicles? It's a miracle the dealers' service departments can service them, much less some guy with a Craftsman hand-tool set.

On top of that, there's warranty considerations.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I got the RAM from my step-father as he can no longer drive. I would rather have a large SUV, but it has been very handy transporting building materials.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I got the RAM from my step-father as he can no longer drive. I would rather have a large SUV, but it has been very handy transporting building materials.
I wasn't attacking you, or suggesting you had adequacy issues. I'm speaking in the general - and I see it here, all the time, constantly. Government desk-jockey functionaries, who live in apartments (yes, apartment housing is a Thing in modern Montana cities) and drive lifted, diesel, four-door short-bed Bro-Dozers.

The beds remain unscratched. The sides of the truck, less so - because these dazed cretins have troubles driving a vehicle that long and large. Watching one of these clowns try to park one...it's epic stuff.

And someone who buys a Ram...either he got a helluva deal and plans to trade in a year or so, or else he's STOO...PIDD. Big, lifted Fiats with Cummins diesel engines, are no-better engineered than any other type of Fiat.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Lots of guys here use 1 ton rams w flatbeds as farm trucks. They seem to stand up pretty well to the abuse.

I prefer a chevy myself, but think your thought process re rams is skewed.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Lots of guys here use 1 ton rams w flatbeds as farm trucks. They seem to stand up pretty well to the abuse.

I prefer a chevy myself, but think your thought process re rams is skewed.
I could post vids of these Kewel Peeps trying to park their hulking Cummins-Rams...but it's more work than the momentary giggles it would give.

Look, the original concept behind those trucks was, of course, work. Some are still used that way - only not new, since a contractor isn't going to be able to justify the mucho dinero required to buy one. But yes...there's some work to be had.

You can make a VW Rabbit pickup work - or a Chevette with the roof cut off with a Sawzall. That's not the proof of value.

How well they hold up, vis-a-vis a Ford, GM or Toyota truck, is the test. I don't have the stats in front of me...but, given the appalling reputation of Fiat-Dodge cars, and of Fiat 500s...and of New Jeep reliability reports...I'm betting, they don't measure up.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Are you cracked? HAVE you been under the hood of one of these new Gubbermint-compliant vehicles? It's a miracle the dealers' service departments can service them, much less some guy with a Craftsman hand-tool set.

On top of that, there's warranty considerations.
Know who you are addressing before you throw around insults and/or pointed questions.

I have a 2017 Ford Edge that I removed the ENTIRE front clip, at 300 miles on the car. I then installed a complete tow bar, electrical & air brakes actuator. All at home, in my Garage. Without worrying about a warranty.
I am at the coast so I don't have my photos with me, and I can't find my post here at GIM2, but I did a search for a post of my new 2015 Subaru that I did the same thing at 2nd day of ownership. Again without warrant concerns.
Some people can do more than others.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/thread...s-the-entire-front-end-off.76289/#post-834916

I also designed & help fabricate an engine bracket on my old Skipjack 25, on which we mounted 2 @ 200HP Yamaha outboards.
I did ALL the electronics (Radar, GPS, Auto pilot & 2 depth finders with individual transducers. installation & wiring. I did have a bit of a time with the auto pilot.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/thread...a-fishing-at-almost-60-mph.66829/#post-835204
https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/tuna-fishing-at-charleston-oregon.152242/#post-1229108

and pictures of my garage, & chicken coup, a bit more than sears best !
https://www.goldismoney2.com/thread...ry-by-taezzar.56183/#lg=thread-56183&slide=13

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
taezzar, you're a bad-ass, he meant nothing personal....

:2 thumbs up:
I was in a pissy mood last night & it showed !!! :finished 2::oriental::blew up::blond::blond::blond::blond::shit happens:

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
been there, done that

i found my glasses quickly this am...that's from me going 'dry' last night

LOL

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have a 2017 Ford Edge that I removed the ENTIRE front clip, at 300 miles on the car. I then installed a complete tow bar, electrical & air brakes actuator. All at home, in my Garage.
Same thing with a week old Honda Fit.
FitBaseplate_09 (Medium).JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Too cool !
Fun, isn't it ?! :holding hands:

I found some of my Edge photos:

edge 1.JPG

edge 2.JPG
edge 3.JPG

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Know who you are addressing before you throw around insults and/or pointed questions.

I have a 2017 Ford Edge that I removed the ENTIRE front clip, at 300 miles on the car. I then installed a complete tow bar, electrical & air brakes actuator. All at home, in my Garage. Without worrying about a warranty.
I am at the coast so I don't have my photos with me, and I can't find my post here at GIM2, but I did a search for a post of my new 2015 Subaru that I did the same thing at 2nd day of ownership. Again without warrant concerns.
Some people can do more than others.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/thread...s-the-entire-front-end-off.76289/#post-834916

I also designed & help fabricate an engine bracket on my old Skipjack 25, on which we mounted 2 @ 200HP Yamaha outboards.
I did ALL the electronics (Radar, GPS, Auto pilot & 2 depth finders with individual transducers. installation & wiring. I did have a bit of a time with the auto pilot.

https://www.goldismoney2.com/thread...a-fishing-at-almost-60-mph.66829/#post-835204
https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/tuna-fishing-at-charleston-oregon.152242/#post-1229108

and pictures of my garage, & chicken coup, a bit more than sears best !
https://www.goldismoney2.com/thread...ry-by-taezzar.56183/#lg=thread-56183&slide=13
No insult intended.

What skills you have, I have no idea. Obviously you're trained in repair on these things. With tools and space.

The original remark was, to deal with DIY as a natural choice, that only a fool would not avail himself of. I would counter that only a fool would take apart a $28K new automobile without having knowledge and experience.

I've done DIY work, years past. SImple stuff - failed starters; a steering rack out of a Pinto. Stereo installation. Replaced a door and fender, years ago.

But as I've gotten older cars have become FAR more complicated - and so I now leave it to the pros, or simply don't get into that situation.

Two things you have that not everyone has: An array of tools, and a workspace.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Monkeys are trained. men figure them out.
I don't know how someone would "figure out" the location and designs of all the plastic snaps...as well as the weight of each part coming off, and the steps, in order, of removing each fastener and bracing the object to be removed. What sensors, or gel-packets are in the bumpers, and how to get them off easily.

Long ago I rebodied a Jeep CJ...start to finish. Stripped it all out, tagged the wiring harness; cut the twelve bolts (Midwest rust belt) and lifted the body off (with impressed help). Drilled and mounted the fiberglass replacement; drilled all body fastenings. Had to fabricate a seat bracket for the fiberglass. Replaced the wiring harness.

THAT was just commonsense. Compare to changing out a tail-light bulb in my new Kia. I had to go on Ewe Toob to be sure I was pulling on it in the right direction, and all hidden hooks and screws out. Misjudging was a $300-plus mistake. Since I couldn't see the plastic tangs or know which way they were angled, only a book, manual, video or experienced person would get me able to get the housings out.