• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Chainsaw stories...

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Gravity

That's how these people find the floor in the morning

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Chainsaw story #1

I was in Big Box for new chainsaw, none of the model I wanted were on the floor but I saw a box up on the shelf. So, i fetched it down and went to check out, Checker had trouble getting it to scan so she just keyed in the the UPC. I arrived home and started to unbox my new saw and there were 2 saws in the carton. I took one back for a refund

Chainsaw Story #2. I had a tree hit by lightning, was cutting down what was left and had a nice cluttered work area with no avenue of escape, wielding my free husq saw like paul bunyon. Saw kicks back, glides right across the crown of my knee cap just enough to ruin my pants and scrap my knee and draw blood. LDG heard me come sneaking in to the batthroom, caught in the act.

Told me I was lucky. She said that if I had cut my leg off she was going to beat me to death with it then make a cane out of the bone.

the end

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
she said that if I had cut my leg off she was going to beat me to death with it then make a cane out of the bone.
you got a keeper!
:2 thumbs up:

the wife that is, LOL

and the leg, yeah, that too

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Neighbor laddered up and cut the end off a branch.

Probably weighed 350 lbs... bounced off the ground and into the ladder.

He fell 20 feet dislocating his shoulder. Wasn't tied up.

Saw a company in a bucket truck remove a very large tree.

Professional all the way. Had one of those 'jaw' grabbers to hold the pieces.

Cleanest job ever.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
wow sure is some fails there. some of that stuff was funny, and a few were not.
michael, how ya doin?

some of those lubar jacks look like they're gonna be better off with a drink in their hands rather than a chainsaw

Great Thread!:2 thumbs up:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've killed a lot of trees and a lot of them have had houses and equipment around them.....never touched a one...well, well there was that, them, two windows...….took the profit right out of every thing it did. Oh, snap! There was that 30 foot log I cut loose and it piledrived the side walk....hahahah
yeah blew up the driver sprocket on my saw so was using the ground guys saw and totally butcherd my cut.....man that took a lot of concrete that side walk did.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I conduct controlled burns as part of my job, and occasionally a dead/dying tree catches on fire that needs to be cut down before it escalates into a "chimney fire" that could cause secondary problems later or that would be called into 911 as a "forest fire" by uneducated neighbors or snowflakes with cell phones driving by. Cutting down a 100 year old oak or hickory that is hollow, burning inside, outside, and well up the trunk is not fun or safe, especially when darkness falls.

JMHO, but I find Stihl chainsaws to be the equivalent of the girl next door...safe, reliable and attractive. Conversely, Husqvarna saws are more like the super hot, high performance woman that requires high maintenance and a lot of spare parts. All other brands are junk.

Friendly reminder to wear your PPE: steel toe boots, chaps, helmet, face, eye and ear protection. No job is worth risking a serious injury...good luck out there folks.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I ran a tree and landscape business for a dozen or more years; I had a few accidents, but nothing without remedy.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I conduct controlled burns as part of my job, and occasionally a dead/dying tree catches on fire that needs to be cut down before it escalates into a "chimney fire" that could cause secondary problems later or that would be called into 911 as a "forest fire" by uneducated neighbors or snowflakes with cell phones driving by. Cutting down a 100 year old oak or hickory that is hollow, burning inside, outside, and well up the trunk is not fun or safe, especially when darkness falls.

JMHO, but I find Stihl chainsaws to be the equivalent of the girl next door...safe, reliable and attractive. Conversely, Husqvarna saws are more like the super hot, high performance woman that requires high maintenance and a lot of spare parts. All other brands are junk.

Friendly reminder to wear your PPE: steel toe boots, chaps, helmet, face, eye and ear protection. No job is worth risking a serious injury...good luck out there folks.
The last Husq I used was brand new and before start-up was already breaking parts. I own a Stihl ms250.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
We sold chain saws where I used to work. I often thought that most of the home owner type customers that came in had no business using a chainsaw. Fortunately, we never had anybody kill themselves.

I must fess up & say that I was in the above category many years ago cutting up a tree out back. I was cutting away and all of a sudden I realized my left foot was wet which was strange cause the ground was dry. Checking it out, I must have nicked my left knee enough for the blood to run down into my boot to make my foot wet. It must of happened so fast as I didn't even feel it. The better half wanted to take me to the hospital but I'm stubborn & just taped the cut together with duck tape. Healed up just fine. Lesson learned, as today I have great awareness for chainsaw safety.

Currently I own and use a Stihl MS261 & a Husqvarna 395XP

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We sold chain saws where I used to work. I often thought that most of the home owner type customers that came in had no business using a chainsaw. Fortunately, we never had anybody kill themselves.

I must fess up & say that I was in the above category many years ago cutting up a tree out back. I was cutting away and all of a sudden I realized my left foot was wet which was strange cause the ground was dry. Checking it out, I must have nicked my left knee enough for the blood to run down into my boot to make my foot wet. It must of happened so fast as I didn't even feel it. The better half wanted to take me to the hospital but I'm stubborn & just taped the cut together with duck tape. Healed up just fine. Lesson learned, as today I have great awareness for chainsaw safety.

Currently I own and use a Stihl MS261 & a Husqvarna 395XP
At least you had a sharp chain. :D

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
When I bought my first chainsaw, a Jonsored (sp?), I was given a video on safe saw operation. Keep leading arm locked was a good pointer. Also to watch out for widow makers. Those pesky limbs that fall on your noggin after they work lose from the rest of the tree. The vid showed the face of a guy that drop started his saw which ended up having the bar bouncing off a stump and, well, I think you can guess the rest.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have had a Stihl MS361 for ten (?) years now. Had it serviced once, replaced broken rings and a piston clean up. I got a deal on Woodland Pro semi-chisel chains years back, just over ten bucks each. These chains are wonderful. They throw chips so fast and hard, I feel them as pressure on my pants, and there is no effort on the cutting. Well, until the chain hits a lot of bullets or a few barbed wires embedded in the log. ALL of my logs have defects, that is how I get them for cheap. But I am probably getting more than a year of wood per chain. Can't complain.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I have one of these. For a saw needed at odd times for use on the rental properties it is great. It always starts on the spot, no gasoline and oil needed, no carburetor, spark plug, fuel filter or all the other things so common to two cycle motored chainsaws that , for my purposes, are a big pain in the a**
Best-Battery-Powered-Chainsaw-97-770x472.jpg

Dewalt recently released this pole saw too and it, like the saw above works great for me. Anyone looking for a part time chain saw should check them out. They cut surprisingly fast and for my type of jobs I can get the stuff cut faster than a trip to the gas station, mix with oil blah blah etc.
The men at t he company I have cut trees down were impressed at how fast they cut too.
Dewalt-Cordless-Pole-Chain-Saw.jpg

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Short saws are the most dangerous, they can kick back and get a plethora of body parts before you know it. A guy at work was found in the woods with a self inflicted saw cut to the neck.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Back in 2008 a tree fell on a fence in my ex-girlfriend's horse pasture so I went to cut it up before the horses got out. The branches were all covered up with grape vines and the large leaves made it impossible to see what I was doing. The dead tree had fallen on a smaller tree and bent it over, which I didn't see, When I cut the dead tree, the smaller tree sprang up and whacked me on the forehead leaving a nice big gash.
Here in Montana, Husqvarna and Stihl reign. Most problems with 2 cycle engines are caused by people putting ethanol gas in them, but ethanol-free gas is available here. My Husqvarna 455 has been good to me for 11 years so far, bought it used. Took it in one time to have the oiler replaced, did not have a puller for it. Other than that, a couple of spark plugs over the years. For firewood cutting I use "skip chain". It doesn't have as many teeth and is cheaper, seems to cut faster.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++