• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Chock Your Wheels

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210502_132929_resized_1.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That's gonna leave a dent...

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Hope the John Deere's OK

sandblaster

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
He's just measuring for the new carport.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hope the John Deere's OK
The Deere is fine. Even the truck is not much worse for the wear- a dent on the bumper, torn exhaust and it will need aligned. Me not so much. And well, you see the house.

I was getting ready to till a garden plot for a friend, had the truck parked in the street, shut off and in gear. Noticed the truck 'chugging' down the street and I took off after it. The strain from me bolting ripped the hamstring in my right leg and I just faceplanted it right there on the asphalt. Got up just in time to see the truck sailing over the retaining walls and smash into his neighbor's house. And friggin' blood everywhere. My face took the brunt of it and I will probably be dragging my leg around for a month or more.

But hey, it sure made for some top shelf entertainment for the neighborhood on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
i did that once...the rig jack-knifed and the tractor, which was running, from me beginning to unload it from a tilt-bed trailer...came driving nearly off of the trailer as i jumped back on and turned the ignition off...Yea, saved that one

i originally jumped off the tractor / trailer to 'save' the rig as it was going down a hill, it jack-knifed right in front of me...the parking brake didn't hold and being in first gear didn't help either, that engine compression was just no match for that load it was 'holding'

anyways...
hate to say it, it was awesome to watch, then i'm back into action to 'save' that tractor...

lmao....i was there, like a liberal i created it and then became it's 'hero'...and the bumper buffed out...after a bit of straightening against a loading dock

yep

young and dumb...i have empathy for the newbies, yep

:summer:

we'll just leave anything else alone...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
i congratulate you for having the tractor tied down enough to keep it on the trailer.....good advice(prob something i needed to hear) it suprizes me being in gear (hopefully low or reverse) didnt hold it fine as thats not that big of load.....the hammy n faceplant is like iceing on the cake and brings to mind that no good deed goes unpunished

but it coulda been worse, glad your able to tell the story sir

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
agree!
no doubt in my mind...that could have gone much worse

the stuff that don't kill ya allows you to get better

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Deere is fine. Even the truck is not much worse for the wear- a dent on the bumper, torn exhaust and it will need aligned. Me not so much. And well, you see the house.

I was getting ready to till a garden plot for a friend, had the truck parked in the street, shut off and in gear. Noticed the truck 'chugging' down the street and I took off after it. The strain from me bolting ripped the hamstring in my right leg and I just faceplanted it right there on the asphalt. Got up just in time to see the truck sailing over the retaining walls and smash into his neighbor's house. And friggin' blood everywhere. My face took the brunt of it and I will probably be dragging my leg around for a month or more.

But hey, it sure made for some top shelf entertainment for the neighborhood on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
Cheer up, the YouTube video will be great...

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Did you let smooth borrow your truck?

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
clearly the guy owning the garage is at fault,

how he could not have anticipated this and prevented the massive damage to your truck,
so many ways to add cushioning bumpers to the property, and nada, not a thing
then to add, this purdy little retaining wall is a community hazard, tearing off exhaust and all,

how rude

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
rotflmao

yep

:dduck:

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
i congratulate you for having the tractor tied down enough to keep it on the trailer.....good advice(prob something i needed to hear) it suprizes me being in gear (hopefully low or reverse) didnt hold it fine as thats not that big of load.....the hammy n faceplant is like iceing on the cake and brings to mind that no good deed goes unpunished

but it coulda been worse, glad your able to tell the story sir
Just about everyone that saw it, from the sheriff on down, commented on the tractor tie-down job. But the loader bucket was just down against the bulkhead rail, the brakes were set and a single ratchet strap was over the floorboard. No way it was going anywhere.

I was in too much of a tizzy when I got in the truck afterwards to check what gear it was in but I am certain it was in reverse or low. In either case, the engine had to be redlining, as fast as the truck was moving when it hit. The hill was steeper than it looks.

Anyone got video lol?
That would be a good one. I've got a high-res video in my mind that's been on a playback loop since Sunday. Just need to figure out how to download it.

how he could not have anticipated this and prevented the massive damage to your truck,
then to add, this purdy little retaining wall is a community hazard, tearing off exhaust and all,

how rude
I like the way you think.

...the hammy n faceplant...

I must really be a sight to behold, dragging my leg around with third degree road rash on my face. Been actually thinking about wearing a mask... Nah.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Dude........
Just glad no one's kid was out on their bike in the way.
The truck looks nice.
Is that the one you put a fresh 7.3 in some time back?

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Dude........
Just glad no one's kid was out on their bike in the way.
The truck looks nice.
Is that the one you put a fresh 7.3 in some time back?
Thanks. Yep, that's the same truck.

GOLDBRIX

'SUSH, MY NEW SAFE HOUSE"
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Slightly "off topic" but PARAMOUNT imho... and not mentioned often..

When you're stopped in the left lane, with your blinker on, waiting for a space in oncoming traffic to turn left, DO NOT TURN YOUR STEERING WHEEL, in the "off chance" that you get rear-ended and projected into oncoming traffic...

It happens more often than you'd imagine...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
but NOT in "reverse", I imagine... (manual tranny)
had the truck parked in the street, shut off and in gear
oh, -automatic tranny - can't trust those as far as you can spit... as a "brake"... just manuals... (imho)

I am certain it was in reverse or low

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score

how rude
You laugh.

I actually saw such a case, in Lake County, Ohio...just outside Cleveland/Cuyahoga County. This was 35 years ago...with the boom in Eastern Suburban development, a state route that ended in a T intersection became a major traffic connection. Twenty years earlier, someone had built a modest ranch home, opposite the place where the highway T intersected. Since they were about a thousand feet from the Lake Erie shore, there was no way the road would ever be carried further north.

All was well, until it was made a state route, widened to five lanes, and with about fifty stoplights. A garbage truck ran into the front yard, damaging the front steps and nearly hitting the house, so the owner got some barricades from a local construction company. Those portable Jersey fence sections, poured concrete. Set back behind the sidewalk (unused, now) he had them set up, with yellow arrows showing right-or-left. Like a traffic-control device.

The state came in and demanded he remove the Jersey barrier. An unauthorized traffic-control device. Violation of zoning codes. No permit for a fence.

Well, he did comply...and then another large truck ran the intersection and destroyed the center of his house, the front room. About the time that happened, I left the area...but I doubt he rebuilt.

Obviously, it was all his fault, though...just ask his insurance adjuster...

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You laugh.

I actually saw such a case, in Lake County, Ohio...just outside Cleveland/Cuyahoga County. This was 35 years ago...with the boom in Eastern Suburban development, a state route that ended in a T intersection became a major traffic connection. Twenty years earlier, someone had built a modest ranch home, opposite the place where the highway T intersected. Since they were about a thousand feet from the Lake Erie shore, there was no way the road would ever be carried further north.

All was well, until it was made a state route, widened to five lanes, and with about fifty stoplights. A garbage truck ran into the front yard, damaging the front steps and nearly hitting the house, so the owner got some barricades from a local construction company. Those portable Jersey fence sections, poured concrete. Set back behind the sidewalk (unused, now) he had them set up, with yellow arrows showing right-or-left. Like a traffic-control device.

The state came in and demanded he remove the Jersey barrier. An unauthorized traffic-control device. Violation of zoning codes. No permit for a fence.

Well, he did comply...and then another large truck ran the intersection and destroyed the center of his house, the front room. About the time that happened, I left the area...but I doubt he rebuilt.

Bolders! Non permanent.

Or you can go with those ten foot diameter flower pots a lot of office buildings have for security purposes.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Slightly "off topic" but PARAMOUNT imho... and not mentioned often..

When you're stopped in the left lane, with your blinker on, waiting for a space in oncoming traffic to turn left, DO NOT TURN YOUR STEERING WHEEL, in the "off chance" that you get rear-ended and projected into oncoming traffic...

It happens more often than you'd imagine...
I know a gal this happened to. She was N bound and the S bound was waiting to turn left on a curve.

3 cars in line and the 3rd had wheels turned.

Young kid in a PUP truck (texting no doubt) rear-ended 3rd car which pushed it into N bound right in front of her going 55mph.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
My first reaction to the pic was D crashed but then I thought nah, he wouldn't had done that. What did it take to get the truck and trailer out of there?

Had a three speed shift on the column pickem up truck. F150 I believe. Parked it in a clients driveway and went into the house to do some work. Came out and the truck was gone. Walked down the driveway and saw my truck's front bumper resting on a guy wire for a telephone pole.

Here's what happened. Truck slides backwards down the drive and into the road. Some how ends up heading straight and then down the road towards a t intersection with the high school straight ahead. Manages to turn left at the intersection and traveled about 75 feet before it hit the wire.

Same truck I attached a rented wood chipper to the back and proceeded out of the driveway turning right going down hill towards a red light. Brakes on all the way down the hill with tires sliding. Luckily was able to stop before I got into the intersection.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You laugh.

We had a Fire Station at a "T" intersection, got hit more than once by drunks, we moved the station. We have a few houses near curves that are routinely hit.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
You laugh.

uh... with a good "ambulance chaser lawyer" he might have got the Town to pay....???

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
What did it take to get the truck and trailer out of there?
Seven hundred forty two dollars...

A ripoff but it's not very practical to get bids in that situation and they know it. They can charge whatever they want. But they did bring 2 tow trucks. One pulled back on the trailer to hold it while unhitching it then the other one held up the front of the trailer as they eased it back off of the retaining walls. I drove the truck out.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
You laugh.

He should not have put the arrows on the barriers, but hid the barriers behind a row of bushes. All on his property of course. Out of sight, out of mind.