• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Considering Colorado for Retirement

shipwreck

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have found mention on the web that cities in Colorado, like Pueblo and others, are a good place for retirees. If anyone who lives in Colorado can provide pros and cons related to this, I would appreciate it. I am 69 years old and single. I am hoping for a place where rent is low, crime is low (hopefully), with lots of quiet so I can rest. Flat terrain with roads with little traffic for bicycling would be ideal. I have read that places in Colorado are tiny house friendly.

I have looked at other towns that are similar to this, only to find out that the crime level is high. Lakeport, CA is a good example.

Any advice would be appreciated, perhaps other states, other countries, etc.

Last edited:

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have found mention on the web that cities in Colorado, like Pueblo and others, are a good place for retirees. If anyone who lives in Colorado can provide pros and cons related to this, I would appreciate it. I am 69 years old and single. I am hoping for a place where rent is low, crime is low (hopefully), with lots of quiet so I can rest. Flat terrain with roads with little traffic for bicycling would be ideal. I have read that places in Colorado are tiny house friendly.

I have looked at other towns that are similar to this, only to find out that the crime level is high. Lakeport, CA is a good example.

Any advice would be appreciated, perhaps other states, other countries, etc.
Look into North West Arkansas. It's everything you're looking for. There's a new bike trail spanning many miles linking the town's/cities that is worth a gander too.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Look into North West Arkansas. It's everything you're looking for. There's a new bike trail spanning many miles linking the town's/cities that is worth a gander too.
Yep....nw arkansas....sw missouri.........bella vista is a very nice nw ark area.....the difference in taxes/cost of living alone would pay for your retirement

shallow_explorer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Not Colorado. Left for Idaho 5 yrs ago and have never regretted it. Southern ID has west slope of Colorado climate and less people.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I live in Colorado Springs.

It's a conservative town with 5 military bases.

Air Force Academy
Shriever AFB
Ft. Carson
Peterson Air field
Cheyenne Mtn AF station

There are the usual outliers gays, fags, trannies, etc. but they're mostly around Manitou.

Is it cheap? Not really.

What kind of expenses are you considering?

Pueblo... meh... If it were me and you wanted to 'get away' I'd look at Penrose, or Florence, maybe Canyon City.

Close enough to get to the city, but just quaint enough to fade away.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What is your interpretation of low rent?......even small rural towns are charging $750-1000 a month , I don’t know if that fits your budget.......it’s probably cheaper to buy a place.

your budget will determine a lot about where you can relocate to......

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Far West Texas has no major hospitals ($40,000 helicopter ride to the nearest trauma hospital), expensive, hot, dry, cold, dusty, windy, no bike trails, rattlesnakes, everything has a thorn or bites, almost in Mexico, lots of assholes, few services, and the last best place.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Far West Texas has no major hospitals ($40,000 helicopter ride to the nearest trauma hospital), expensive, hot, dry, cold, dusty, windy, no bike trails, rattlesnakes, everything has a thorn or bites, almost in Mexico, lots of assholes, few services, and the last best place.
And CHIGGERS!!!!

Gawd how I hate chiggers!!!

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Goat heads pop bike tires and if you look at Pueblo’s climate you’ll probably find it too cool for bike riding anyway. There’s some beautiful country to the west and it is supposedly one of the safest basins to reside in during nuke flinging but I don’t think it is what you seem to be looking for.

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
You may want to rethink that Colorado thing. The state has been queer blue since around 04. Pueblo has exceedingly high crime and the springs has also been named the murder capital of America in the past (per capita of course). Colorado has rolled out the welcome mat for illegal's and Denver is a sanctuary city. I'd think twice about moving there. btw, denver will be approving government sanctioned heroin injection sites so there's that too.

So, I'd have to say 20 years ago, hell yeah, Colorado would be great. Today, Colorado is the new california. The legislature is extremely tax hungry. when the conservatives ran the state they put in place a tax payer bill of rights. The current trifecta of democrats will be taking that back too.

Maybe consider Florida or Arizona. Montana may even be a reasonably good place to retire but colorado = not good.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If you decide on Floriduh, there are some things to know to give you your best shot at super-success:

1. East Coast only, south of Canaveral.
2. Stay the hell away from near-beach property.
3. At the 10-20 miles distance from the ocean, weather is temperate year-round, with sea-breezes.
4. Avoid gated communismties.
5. No further south than Boca Raton.
6. Avoid any house built before 2015.
7. Find acreage -- stay away from Levittown(s) South.

I found all these things with dumb fargin luck as my guide. Fell into it. As I type, I can see Fancy Pants (wild peacock) right outside my window. In back, my firing range waits for spinner practice. The tame animals hang out and play in the late afternoon while we are at dinner.

Now an explanation of the list:

1. North is pretty Chicago. West Coast is swamp or off-limits or off-limits swamp. The "ambience" of that side reeks of retirement... for miles and miles of quilt shops and fast food.

2. It divides sharply between Mega$ and slums. It is mostly macadam.

3. Sharp difference at this point. At about 13 miles by map from the ocean, the area is rural. As in acre+ lots.

4. Your car needs washing. Second Notice!

5. The entire area is paved. No habla Englais, puta! "Scarface" was a documentary.

6. I thought the Chateau was built tough! And it was. But houses built in South Floriduh today are fargin marvelous for strength against any weather. So pay attention to the year.

7. Rural neighborhoods make for friendly neighborhoods. Safe neighborhoods. And fun wildlife.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
A few more pluses about Colorado

Bugs... damn few of them... no chiggers, no fleas - dogs don't have them , no squitoes - unless you live by water. Few flies - unless you live by a stockyard... Ticks if you live in the mountains and deer pass through.

Why? It's dryer than a popcorn fart! Climate is arid. Upper desert. 5K ft elevation and up. More humid to the eastern plains and Kansas

When it snows it leaves in a few days. Roads clear usually in one day if the Sun comes out.

'Other' locations to consider are on the "Western Slope"....
Paonia, Hotchiss, Montrose, Delta - smaller towns - lots of fruit - grapes, wine, oranges, orchards etc.

Negatives...
Expensive. Highest prices are Vail
More expensive further north in Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins
Real estate boom since 2008 bottom
Blue state - Californicated over the last 30 years. Population centers rule.
You might run into a rattlesnake, or a mountain lion out hiking. I've seen rattlers, no lions.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Spent one night in an RV park in Colorado Springs. Opened the motorhome door after dark and had over 100 moths inside in less than 5 seconds. Found dead moths inside for a few years after that. My greatest memory of Colorado Springs.
LOL Miller Moths... yeah they do 'arrive', but the dang things are harmless... Dusty Millers... like a moth to a flame... they "go to the light" (Luke). They also come in waves. If we have a really hard winter -20 below (only seen that twice in 45 years) it kills them off. The 'trick' is to turn off inside lights before opening the door.

What's fun is watching Starlings ('intersection birds' we call them) at intersections swooping and diving after them. Apparently, the moths hide ('sleep') during the day in every crevice (cars too) and when cars stop at intersections they come out and provide Starlings a source of food. The entertainment value alone supersedes any discomfort....

If they do get inside, a vacuum will suck them right up.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Pueblo is a pit. Avoid the Denver area. Try Grand Junction or Durango. But if you go a little further south (Farmington, NM) you will get better weather and a lower cost of living.

Personally, I want to retire (during winter) to Scottsdale, AZ. This is assuming that I have a big pile of cash by then.

I saw a ton of well-to-do retirees in Sioux Falls, SD last week. Weather is terrible in the winter, but the taxes are good. Lots of health services there. And just down the road you have the much more interesting Sioux City, Iowa.

For culture I prefer the Midwest, so a good balance of weather, culture, and cost of living might be found in the Ozark region of Missouri.

Last March I travelled past Knoxville, TN, and thought the weather and the Smoky Mountains were pretty nice. I would be tempted to look for a cozy place a half hour outside of Knoxville in the mountains.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
38°50'59.5"N 104°33'40.2"W
38.849846, -104.561177