• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Conversation with the bank today.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Went to 2 banks today. Checks from logging my land. First bank. No issue. Walk in, Show my ID and cash the check. No charge. TY have a nice day..

2nd bank was a very different story. I go through the drive through this time. Send my ID and the signed check in and teller asks if I am depositing the whole amount.
Me: No Just cashing the check.
Teller: Do you have an account with us.
Me: No
Teller: Ok, Hold on a minute

Tell: I'm sending you a post it note so I can get some information from you.
Me: Ok. What kind of info do you need?
Teller: Your address, number, telephone number and what your occupation is.
Me: Are you serious? What possible reason could you have for wanting all of that information?
Teller: We have a new system and it requires it before you can cash a check with us.
Me: What law requires me to give you this info?
Teller: We have a new system and it requires it.
Me: Are your customers aware of this fact? Because you are about to cost your customer thousands of dollars and I am fairly certain they won't be very happy about it. Your also the only bank I have ever heard of that is doing this.

Just then a manager or someone chimes in and asks why I changed the name on the check. I said all I did was add an E at the end because they left it off when they wrote it.. They then told me I needed a new check from the company that is 35 minutes away. So tomorrow or whenever I go over there I will go to the local branch and try to cash it there and see how that goes. I will also have a conversation with the company and let them know what their bank is up to.

Oh and she said the system needs to have a profile on me. I told her I am not doing business with your bank so there is no need to have a profile on me.

Hell of an ordeal just to go cash a check for less than 3k.

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm sure when I return to the bank the conversation above will be similar at the new location closer to the business. Because of the issue with the check I didn't get to educate them on the fact that a check is nothing mo0re than a piece of paper issued to me in place of currency. Its safer for the business to not keep thousands of dollars on hand and is the reason the business uses a bank in the first place. However the check is in lieu of currency and is the same as currency. I should be able to walk into this customers bank and cash this check for the full face value on the check.
My personal information is private and I prefer to keep it that way. There is no law requiring me to give you that information and there is no reason other than marketing for you to be creating anything on me. Your customer already has all the information they need to write me this check and you have my state issued ID to verify that it is me.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"The system needs"..... Bank employees live in a world of policies and procedures. Trying to reason with them is an exercise in futility.

Just wait until the banksters get cash outlawed. They'll really be able to walk all over us with impunity.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
A few years ago I went to a chase bank branch to deposit cash and checks from the business I work at.
All the business accounts are with chase. I had a clipped together wad of cash and checks all totaled up with chase banks deposit slip all filled out.

I hand it to the teller lady and she asks for my ID. She wants to slide it through the scanner. I politely tell her this is not my bank and it's not my deposit, it is for XXX Medical. See my shirt says XXX Medical right here.

She says bank policy says my ID needs to be scanned along with the deposit and now she has her hand out. I told her to give me the deposit back and my boss can bring it in. You're not scanning my ID into your bank which I don't belong to for an account I have nothing to do with.

Now she's pissed because I didn't obey. She says it's no big deal and standard procedure. I politely tell her to return the deposit and do not remove the clip from it or I will have to count it in front of her and her manager before I leave. She gave it back.

I absolutely 100% fucking hate banks.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't think banks have our best interests in mind when we do business with them. BoA almost shut my business down when they flagged my account for depositing multiple transactions in the same amount. I told them I charge a flat fee for daily work and they could not comprehend the concept.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't think banks have our best interests in mind when we do business with them. BoA almost shut my business down when they flagged my account for depositing multiple transactions in the same amount. I told them I charge a flat fee for daily work and they could not comprehend the concept.
I fecking hate BoA. They are not at all shy about claiming your money is their money. But that in all actuality is true with any bank. Once you hand it over to them, it is no longer yours.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
There is a law that requires them to do this and they are not allowed to tell you about it.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I did go to another bank today with a 10 dollar check from the county auditors office for 1 day of jury duty I did back in March. She said she couldn't cash the check there and I needed to go to the main branch another 5 miles away. I said for 10 bucks my time is worth more. I was just passing by and thought I would stop in and cash this.

Ever since they closed my account 10 years ago i haven't bothered to do business with them again. For those who might have missed that story. I moved to Boston and left an account open in CT with some money in it. It wasn't much but maybe 100 bucks or a little more.. Well, it didn't meet their minimum requirements to have an account so they charged my 24.95 a month. Once the money was gone they kept charging me along with overdraft fees. LOL.
Well I had moved down south after a year and then moved agin to where I am now. I went to open an account and then found all that out about the bank in CT.. I had forgotten all about the account and just wrote it off in my mind I guess. So the bank used up all the money in the account and rather than just close it they decided to run up a bill to 175 bucks then close it. Because of banking laws your not allowed to open an account if you owe another bank money so I couldn't open an account for 7 years because I refused to give in to their extortion.
After 7 years you realize there really is no reason to have a bank account so now I avoid banks at all costs.. Much freer that way. :).

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
There is a law that requires them to do this and they are not allowed to tell you about it.
Any law that I am not allowed to know about can not possibly apply to me. How can you comply with a law that you don't even know exists. IMO it should be a law that any check drawn on a bank should have to be cashed. No questions asked. All a check is is a draft on another persons cash being held by the bank

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I just looked it up and under the federal customer identification program rules this is true. However
An account does not include: • Products or services for which a formal banking relationship is not established with a person, such as check cashing, funds transfer, or the sale of a check or money order.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
It also applies to the post office and car dealers.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It also applies to the post office and car dealers.
Far as I know the PO is 3k in cash transactions that need to be reported if within a 24 hr period. Car dealers are 10k but in both instances you are [purchasing something. Either money orders or cars. Not cashing a check.
With banks it used to be 10k in cash deposits and they had to report. I only know because I did 10k exactly one time and the girl said if you deposit one dollar less I don't have to do the paperwork.. I told her to go ahead and do the paperwork. Nothing to hide. :).

I can't find a banking law or reg anywhere that requires me to give that information for the simple act of cashing a check. Only requirement is for opening an account.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I can't find a banking law or reg anywhere that requires me to give that information for the simple act of cashing a check. Only requirement is for opening an account.
Could they be operating under their own policy and not necessarily a law?

mayhem

My name is Perrin. Who are you?
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Since they quit working for the people, and work only for the FED ( a Corp) they can make up any "policy" they choose .Even my Credit Union, that I have been a member for eons has instituted some of these policy's. They will still cash a check written to others by me with no hassle though.

mayhem

My name is Perrin. Who are you?
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Could they be operating under their own policy and not necessarily a law?
Yeah, Corporate Policy is going into effect big time now. They are the new government, and they are also people.
Thanks SCOTUS!

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Yeah, Corporate Policy is going into effect big time now. They are the new government, and they are also people.
Thanks SCOTUS!
Corporate code, aka statutes.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If someone answered that they were planning on using the funds (a/k/a their own money) for hookers and blow when asked by the banksters why they making a cash withdrawal in excess of 10 large, would the custodian of said money still oblige the customers request?

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If someone answered that they were planning on using the funds (a/k/a their own money) for hookers and blow when asked by the banksters why they making a cash withdrawal in excess of 10 large, would the custodian of said money still oblige the customers request?
Took out over $10k, they asked what for? I said strip club and race track. Thanks and see ya.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
^^ When I withdraw a large amount or close a CD, I'm always asked that question. I just say "I'm going to remodel the kitchen". That makes them happy. I remodel that kitchen probably 5 times a year. No one has caught on yet.

Hey, message 999 :)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Christ onna crutch.

I cannot believe how banks have deteriorated as community citizens.

HERE IS HOW IT USED TO BE:

One day, I walked into my local bank to cash a check. The teller said,

"Walt, you were overdrawn this week by $10. I put it in for you so your last check did not bounce." <-- Stone fact, Pilgrims. That's the way it WAS.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^ When I withdraw a large amount or close a CD, I'm always asked that question. I just say "I'm going to remodel the kitchen". That makes them happy. I remodel that kitchen probably 5 times a year. No one has caught on yet.

Well you are gonna remodel the kitchen....someday.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have signing authority on an account held by a fellow from Europe at a local bank. I went in one day and was being hassled by the lady manager about a withdrawal over 10K when she asked what I was going to do with it. I asked rather loudly in front of the growing number of customers what she does with her dirty panties and how did they get that way anyway. I was left alone with the teller who quietly did my business for me and I left.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Went back to the company this morning to get a new check with my correct name on it. She said they rejected the check for that? I said yep. So she wrote me a new one and I said the bank wouldn't cash it for me unless they create a profile on me but I would try..

Went to the bank and it was a very quick trip.
Asked me if I had an account I said no.
Asked me for my SS number I said there is no requirement that I give it to you.
He said thats the banks policy.
I said I am pretty sure your violating some banking laws by not honoring this demand for cash on your bank. He just shrugged. I told him I would take it back to the company and they can deal with it.

When I walked back in and told 2 people that work in the office the story they couldn't believe it. They called the bank themselves and asked what was going on. The bank told them I refused to give them my phone number, SS number and occupation. I told them it is my private information and unless I am opening an account they have no reason to have that information. For telemarketing purposes or otherwise. That information belongs to me and in 2006 congress passed laws maki9ng it harder for companies to require that information for anything. The feds can still require it on some thing but both the state and feds have to tell you if it is required and what that information will be used for.
Also Dodd Frank passed in 08 I think and within that was the rehypothecation clause which allows banks to take money from your account if they have another problem like they did in 2007.

They both nodded in agreement like they understood but I knew I was way over their pay grade with info. But both also agreed that a check is nothing more than a demand for cash on their account. A banks refusal to cash that check is a problem for the company writing those checks.. The owner of the company will be back on monday and he will personally deal with it. :). I told them I would take Cash gold or silver, the choice is theirs. :).

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You have done a good job of drawing the battle lines. The bank and depositor are now in an adversarial situation. They only get by with these "policies" if everyone goes along with it. Now the bank is under the scrutiny of the depositor.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Congrats on 1000 wherever that may be.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You have done a good job of drawing the battle lines. The bank and depositor are now in an adversarial situation. They only get by with these "policies" if everyone goes along with it. Now the bank is under the scrutiny of the depositor.
Exactly. If it isn't resolved on Monday the i will approach the state banking commission.
Every definition of a check is similar that I can find.

A negotiable instrument drawn against deposited funds, to pay a specified amount of money to a specific person upon demand.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Exactly. If it isn't resolved on Monday the i will approach the state banking commission.
Every definition of a check is similar that I can find.
I will make a prediction beforehand. If there were any bank regulators who were not in cahoots with the banks, they would understand how the banking system works and make noises about it. That just seems highly unlikely.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Christ onna crutch.

I cannot believe how banks have deteriorated as community citizens.

HERE IS HOW IT USED TO BE:

One day, I walked into my local bank to cash a check. The teller said,

"Walt, you were overdrawn this week by $10. I put it in for you so your last check did not bounce." <-- Stone fact, Pilgrims. That's the way it WAS.
Yeah but back then they were using pebbles so it really dun't count. whistle:

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just read through the Ohio banking regs. There's nothing in there on cashing a check.. I'll call the banking commission tomorrow and see what they say.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last time I tried to cash a check at another bank they wanted to charge me 10% or some gawd awful;y high percentage. I kindly told them no thanks.

How bout the banks who want a thumb print? Whenever I've had to do that I press my thumb down and twist it 1/2 a turn to smudge the fugger nice and good.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Last time I tried to cash a check at another bank they wanted to charge me 10% or some gawd awful;y high percentage. I kindly told them no thanks.
Yea as I was reading through the banking regs I ran across a passage that said if they charge a fee to cash a check it's a 4th degree felony here in Ohio. Probably why no one has asked me to do that yet LOL.
(A) No regulated person shall, except as provided by law, stipulate for or receive any fee, commission, gift, or thing of value from any person for procuring or endeavoring to procure for that person, or for any other person, any loan, extension or renewal of a loan, or substitution of security from any bank or trust company, or the purchase, discount, or acceptance of any paper, note, draft, check, or bill of exchange by any bank or trust company.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yea as I was reading through the banking regs I ran across a passage that said if they charge a fee to cash a check it's a 4th degree felony here in Ohio. Probably why no one has asked me to do that yet LOL.
Good to know...I'll have to check on regs in Ar, it was CrankofOmerica BTW FWIW.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
They are one of the worst for sure. I see all kinds of complaints about them online.

I figure if worst case scenario is they refuse to cash the check and owner refuses to get me cash. Then I go in and open an account, wait for the check to clear then close the account LOL. Make them do all that work for nothing. :finished 2:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
They are one of the worst for sure. I see all kinds of complaints about them online.

I figure if worst case scenario is they refuse to cash the check and owner refuses to get me cash. Then I go in and open an account, wait for the check to clear then close the account LOL. Make them do all that work for nothing. :finished 2:
I was getting my $.50 boxes from them by giving them the name of "company to be" that never became long after the wife had closed her account with them.

I figured them helping me snag free silver was the least they could do for all their fukkery throughout the years.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Had to go to peoples today with 3 checks. They wanted a fingerprint and 5 bucks to cash them. First time I have been asked for a fee to cash them. I guess I have to put the sheriff on them now. :).
I did ask for a receipt for the 5 bucks though. Teller looked at me like I was crazy and said she can't print out anything because I'm not a customer. She then had to go check with her manager who then came and explained the same thing to me but said she could hand write one. I said that would be fine.
All the time I was waiting for this to happen cars are backing up in the drive through behind me at 4 pm on a friday afternoon. :). I explained to them that bank fees are tax deductible and thats why I needed the receipt. :).
They did only charge me 5 bucks to cash all 3 checks though so no complaints overall and they were nice about it the whole time even though I got that look at the end like I was really wasting their time. :). Which were my exact intentions. Make them earn that 5 bucks. The teller had to stand there and twiddle her thumbs while her manager went and wrote it out. :). Wasted 2 peoples time and probably cost them more than 5 bucks.

Looking forward to Monday. :)