• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Did people lose the contents of SDB in the great depression?

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Regarding the bank failures during the great depression and private safe deposit boxes.
Very very little info on this on the internet.
Bill Holter said on his recent Greg Hunter interview that the people lost the contents of their SDBs when the banks went out of business.
One ref on the internet says that they probably did lose, or, at least some of them.

Banks raid them now. You can find a article from just a few years ago where a man lost a lot of valuable items Want to say in the upper 6 figure range. He had rare pocket watches etc... in them. Think it was in New Jersey. So they do that now, they probably always have. I would trust them like I would trust Joe Biden baby sitting.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Edit: I think this is actually fake, but I'll leave it up. I hadn't looked into it previously, had seen it without question over the years.

By Executive Order Of The President of The United States, March 9, 1933.

By virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 5 (b) of the Act of October 6, 1917, as amended by Section 2 of the Act of March 9, 1933, in which Congress declared that a serious emergency exists, I as President, do declare that the national emergency still exists; that the continued private hoarding of gold and silver by subjects of the United States poses a grave threat to the peace, equal justice, and well-being of the United States; and that appropriate measures must be taken immediately to protect the interests of our people.

Therefore, pursuant to the above authority, I hereby proclaim that such gold and silver holdings are prohibited, and that all such coin, bullion or other possessions of gold and silver be tendered within fourteen days to agents of the Government of the United States for compensation at the official price, in the legal tender of the Government.

All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed, pending action in the due course of the law. All sales or purchases or movements of such gold and silver within the borders of the United States and its territories and all foreign exchange transactions or movements of such metals across the border are hereby prohibited.

Your possession of these proscribed metals and/or your maintenance of a safe deposit box to store them is known by the government from bank and insurance records. Therefore, be advised that your vault box must remain sealed, and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the Internal Revenue Service.

By lawful order given this day, the President of the United States.
Franklin Roosevelt – March 9, 1933

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
For which the left's "hero" FDR should have been summarily executed for treason against the American people. The man was a piece of shit.

RebelYell

Seeker
Seeker

By virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 5 (b) of the Act of October 6, 1917, as amended by Section 2 of the Act of March 9, 1933, in which Congress declared that a serious emergency exists, I as President, do declare that the national emergency still exists; that the continued private hoarding of gold and silver by subjects of the United States poses a grave threat to the peace, equal justice, and well-being of the United States; and that appropriate measures must be taken immediately to protect the interests of our people.

Therefore, pursuant to the above authority, I hereby proclaim that such gold and silver holdings are prohibited, and that all such coin, bullion or other possessions of gold and silver be tendered within fourteen days to agents of the Government of the United States for compensation at the official price, in the legal tender of the Government.

All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed, pending action in the due course of the law. All sales or purchases or movements of such gold and silver within the borders of the United States and its territories and all foreign exchange transactions or movements of such metals across the border are hereby prohibited.

Your possession of these proscribed metals and/or your maintenance of a safe deposit box to store them is known by the government from bank and insurance records. Therefore, be advised that your vault box must remain sealed, and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the Internal Revenue Service.

By lawful order given this day, the President of the United States.
Franklin Roosevelt – March 9, 1933
I don't think this is real. I tried searching down the source of this once and was unable to find any actual, executive order of FDR issued on this date or with this text.

Images of actual executive orders can be viewed here:

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/_resources/images/eo/eo0001.pdf

That link covers March 8, 1933 - April 10, 1933 and you can see that no such order exists.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
fdr.jpg

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/doc...ld-bullion-and-gold-certificates-be-delivered

Executive Order 6102—Requiring Gold Coin, Gold Bullion and Gold Certificates to Be Delivered to the Government

April 05, 1933

By virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 5 (b) of the Act of October 6, 1917, as amended by Section 2 of the Act of March 9, 1933, entitled "An Act to provide relief in the existing national emergency in banking, and for other purposes," in which amendatory Act Congress declared that a serious emergency exists, I, Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America, do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and pursuant to said section do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States by individuals, partnerships, associations and corporations and hereby prescribe the following regulations for carrying out the purposes of this order:
Section 1. For the purposes of this regulation, the term "hoarding" means the withdrawal and withholding of gold coin, gold bullion or gold certificates from the recognized and customary channels of trade. The term "person" means any individual, partnership, association or corporation.
Section 2. All persons are hereby required to deliver on or before May 1, 1933, to a Federal Reserve Bank or a branch or agency thereof or to any member bank of the Federal Reserve System all gold coin, gold bullion and gold certificates now owned by them or coming into their ownership on or before April 28, 1933, except the following:
(a) Such amount of gold as may be required for legitimate and customary use in industry, profession or art within a reasonable time, including gold prior to refining and stocks of gold in reasonable amounts for the usual trade requirements of owners mining and refining such gold.
(b) Gold coin and gold certificates in an amount not exceeding in the aggregate $100 belonging to any one person; and gold coins having a recognized special value to collectors of rare and unusual coins.
(c) Gold coin and bullion earmarked or held in trust for a recognized foreign Government or foreign central bank or the Bank for International Settlements.
(d) Gold coin and bullion licensed for other proper transactions (not involving hoarding) including gold coin and bullion imported for reexport or held pending action on applications for export licenses.
Section 3. Until otherwise ordered any person becoming the owner of any gold coin, gold bullion, or gold certificates after April 28, 1933, shall, within three days after receipt thereof, deliver the same in the manner prescribed in Section 2; unless such gold coin, gold bullion or gold certificates are held for any of the purposes specified in paragraphs (a), (b), or (c) of Section 2; or unless such gold coin or gold bullion is held for purposes specified in paragraph (d) of Section 2 and the person holding it is, with respect to such gold coin or bullion, a licensee or applicant for license pending action thereon.
Section 4. Upon receipt of gold coin, gold bullion or gold certificates delivered to it in accordance with Sections 2 or 3, the Federal Reserve Bank or member bank will pay therefor an equivalent amount of any other form of coin or currency coined or issued under the laws of the United States.
Section 5. Member banks shall deliver all gold coin, gold bullion and gold certificates owned or received by them (other than as exempted under the provisions of Section 2) to the Federal Reserve Banks of their respective districts and receive credit or payment therefor.
Section 6. The Secretary of the Treasury, out of the sum made available to the President by Section 501 of the Act of March 9, 1933, will in all proper cases pay the reasonable costs of transportation of gold coin, gold bullion or gold certificates delivered to a member bank or Federal Reserve Bank in accordance with Section 2, 3, or 5 hereof, including the cost of insurance, protection, and such other incidental costs as may be necessary, upon production of satisfactory evidence of such costs. Voucher forms for this purpose may be procured from Federal Reserve Banks.
Section 7. In cases where the delivery of gold coin, gold bullion or gold certificates by the owners thereof within the time set forth above will involve extraordinary hardship or difficulty, the Secretary of the Treasury may, in his discretion, extend the time within which such delivery must be made. Applications for such extensions must be made in writing under oath, addressed to the Secretary of the Treasury and filed with a Federal Reserve Bank. Each application must state the date to which the extension is desired, the amount and location of the gold coin, gold bullion and gold certificates in respect of which such application is made and the facts showing extension to be necessary to avoid extraordinary hardship or difficulty.
Section 8. The Secretary of the Treasury is hereby authorized and empowered to issue such further regulations as he may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this order and to issue licenses thereunder, through such officers or agencies as he may designate, including licenses permitting the Federal Reserve Banks and member banks of the Federal Reserve System, in return for an equivalent amount of other coin, currency or credit, to deliver, earmark or hold in trust gold coin and bullion to or for persons showing the need for the same for any of the purposes specified in paragraphs (a), (c) and (d) of Section 2 of these regulations.
Section 9. Whoever willfully violates any provision of this Executive Order or of these regulations or of any rule, regulation or license issued thereunder may be fined not more than $10,000, or, if a natural person, may be imprisoned for not more than ten years, or both; and any officer, director, or agent of any corporation who knowingly participates in any such violation may be punished by a like fine, imprisonment, or both.
This order and these regulations may be modified or revoked at any time.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
For which the left's "hero" FDR should have been summarily executed for treason against the American people. The man was a piece of shit.
And every President that came after him for not reversing his edict...amazing how none will even consider it to this day.

RebelYell

Seeker
Seeker

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes - this one is real. And there was one on March 10th as well which also covers this topic.

But neither of them was issued on March 9th, nor did they specifically mention safe deposit boxes, nor proscribe the opening of them except in the presence of an IRS agent.
EO 6102 was in your pdf link, but my post about SDB's is not, so, it could be fake or something else.

http://reformation.org/roosevelt_confiscates_gold.html

Here's another reference to Roosevelt claiming SDB will be sealed.

Old thread:

https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/executive-order-6102-gold-confiscation.32864/

Last edited:

RebelYell

Seeker
Seeker
Here's wikipedia's take:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Obviously wikipedia should be taken with a grain of salt, but the talk section doesn't reveal the usual trail of edits, re-edits, arguments and general BS that shows up when the government editors are engaged in propaganda.

Hoax of safe deposit box seizures
According to a hoax, Roosevelt ordered all the safe deposit boxes in the country seized and searched for gold by an official of the Internal Revenue Service. A typical example of the text of the alleged order reads:

Therefore ... I hereby proclaim that such gold and silver holdings are prohibited, and that all such coin, bullion or other possessions of gold and silver be tendered within fourteen days to agents of the Government ... for compensation at the official price, in the legal tender of the Government.
All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed ... All sales or purchases or movements of such gold and silver ... are hereby prohibited.
Your possession ... and/or safe deposit box to store them is known by the government from bank and insurance records. Therefore ... your vault box must remain sealed, and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the Internal Revenue Service.
By lawful order ..., the President of the United States.​

The first known reference to this hoax was in the book After the Crash: Life In the New Great Depression.[26] The fake text refers only to gold, not to silver, which was added by 1998 to Internet references. It claims to be an Executive Order, yet whoever wrote the text wrote it to apply to specific individuals (e.g. "Your possession"), so if the text did originate from the government, it would have been sent to individuals, not published as an Executive Order. The first paragraph starts with the actual text of Executive Order 6102, then edits it slightly (e.g. changing "said national emergency" to "a national emergency" and "still continues to exist" to "still exists"), and then adds apparently made-up text. Due to the minor edits and how the real text and fake text are combined mid-sentence, it is almost certainly an intentionally designed hoax rather than an accident.
Most of this text does not appear in the actual Executive Order.[27] In fact, safe deposit boxes held by individuals were not forcibly searched or seized under the order and the few prosecutions that occurred in the 1930s for gold "hoarding" were executed under different statutes. One of the few such cases occurred in 1936, when a safe deposit box containing over 10,000 troy ounces (310 kg) of gold belonging to Zelik Josefowitz, who was not a U.S. citizen, was seized with a search warrant as part of a tax evasion prosecution.[28]
The U.S. Treasury also came into possession of a large number of safe deposit boxes due to bank failures. During the 1930s, over 3,000 banks failed and the contents of their safe deposit boxes were remanded to the custody of the Treasury. If no one claimed the box, it remained in the possession of the Treasury. In October 1981, there were 1,605 cardboard cartons in the basement of the Treasury, each carton containing the contents of one unclaimed safe deposit box.[29]

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
The U.S. Treasury also came into possession of a large number of safe deposit boxes due to bank failures. During the 1930s, over 3,000 banks failed and the contents of their safe deposit boxes were remanded to the custody of the Treasury. If no one claimed the box, it remained in the possession of the Treasury. In October 1981, there were 1,605 cardboard cartons in the basement of the Treasury, each carton containing the contents of one unclaimed safe deposit box.[29]
It has been almost 90 years.
I suspect that none of them are alive.
Have they tried to track down the families?
I hope that the boxes have not been opened by "unauthorized" persons in the last 90 years...

Last edited:

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Allowing, then trusting, the government to keep your valuables safe is probably one of the stupidest decisions a person could make

Last edited:

RebelYell

Seeker
Seeker
It has been almost 90 years.
Have they tried to track down the families?
I suspect that non of them are alive.
I hope that the boxes have not been opened by "unauthorized" persons in the last 90 years...
Allowing then trusting the government to keep your valuables safe is probably one of the stupidest decisions a person could make
Agree with both of these points. My argument was very specifically about the claim that FDR didn't allow the opening of safe depost boxes except in the presence of an IRS agent - which I don't believe is true.

However many states now have laws which allow the government to seize "unused" safe deposit boxes after a very small number of years without a visit from the owner - even in cases where payments for the box are still being made, and in some cases where associated bank accounts are still clearly active. The details vary from state to state. Typically the government sells the contents, often at well below actual value, and you might be able to get the proceeds back if you make a claim.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Existing laws, or even precedent have little to do with it. Anyone who believes that a law or precedent will protect their deposits- or anything else for that matter- from future actions by the government, need their head examined. Just look around.

FDR did it in spite of laws and with no precedent for crying out loud. Why would anyone think that it would make any difference now?

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
FDR did it in spite of laws and with no precedent for crying out loud. Why would anyone think that it would make any difference now?
especially considering the Supreme Court ruling on DACA. Apparently now Executive Orders have the same force as properly enacted legislation.

arminius

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Anything, money or otherwise, in any bank is not safe, these days, period.

You expect the biggest crooks, banks, in the history of the world to be fair with your property. Get real. If you put it in a bank, you gave it to them, and they owe you a liability, which can easily be eradicated...

Not sure how that works with SDBs, but be assured, if it's in a bank they're no longer safe.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Maybe, maybe not ... but they sure will during this one.