• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Doesn’t really matter what you invest in...

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
if you buy it right and have buyers you can make money on it. I’ve bought and sold (invested) in everything from real estate, stocks, gold and silver, guns and ammo, knives and all the way down to dollar store tiki torches and hummingbird feeders.

What spawned my thinking is all the crypto naysayers and how they are shortsighting the fact that A LOT of money can be made in this space.

Another theory of mine is that everything I own is money and goes to my bottom line which is essentially my retirement “fund”, everything I own, assets as well as consumables is my fund so making a 200% return on a dollar store tiki torch adds to my bottom line, I run my retirement fund like a business. If I had the same number of buyers for my tiki torches and hummingbird feeders that the stock market has I would be a billionaire

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I'm with ya,
But I don't get involved in something I can't understand.
You guys early into crypto gambled & won. Good for you.
Some things have a shelf life. Knowing when to get out is just as important as when to get in.
Tell me about those TIKI things.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The only 2 things that I made money in 2016, 2017 and 2018 are silver ('70's silver art bars and collectible silver coins) and cryptos. I did well with cryptos last year and the 1st week of 2018 (Jan 2 and Jan 4, 2018). I made it an ebay business selling '70's silver art bars and collectible coins/bars by buying them at generic .999 silver premiums and selling on ebay (and elsewhere online) for "collector" premiums. After fees and shipping factored in, I make a decent net profit doing this. Not enough to quit my full-time job but enough to create a part-time income if I put quality time into it and know what sells at what prices.

Last edited:

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Tell me about those TIKI things.

Oh they’re just dollar store table top tiki torches(party table lamps). I was selling packs of 4 of them on eBay for $18, minus the fees, product cost and shipping I would net $8. They weren’t flying off the shelf but if I were to get enoughvariety it could work. Best part is my dollar store is 1 mile away so they are my warehouse

EO 11110

He Hate Me
Mother Lode
family member does same - shopping at marshals/tj maxx type places

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
There have been times that I've worked my ass off day and night and not make any money. Then again, I've pissed gold too. Find a need and fill it.

James Taylor puts on a set of shows every July 4th locally. Traffic used to be backed up for miles. Cars barely moved and this lasted for hours. I wondered what these people would like and are up with selling iced tea. So the following year I bought a couple of water coolers, iced tea mix and set up a table right on the main drag. Me and Number One Son would go up to the cars and sell cups of cool, refreshing liquid. Although we could not fill the requests for scotch, we did quite well. This was a one shot deal because the following year and ever since the gates open early in the day to the venue to eliminate the congestion.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Sounds like the "Transmigrates" coming through the border - they are loaded down to gills with every used item that can be bought. The art colony of Marfa, Texas is going to have 130,000 to 160,000 transmigrates per year passing thru their little town on their way to the border. Good times :)

Mexico diverts transmigrant traffic through Presidio port
November 9th, 2017 under Top Stories
By JOHN DANIEL GARCIA

johndaniel@bigbendnow.com

PRESIDIO – City of Presidio Administrator Joe Portillo informed Presidio County commissioners last week of the Mexican government’s decision to direct transmigrants – usually South American salvagers – to the Presidio-Ojinaga port of entry.

If you live near the border, you may recognize the transmigrants and their cargo: salvaged vehicles (often from California) towing another vehicle and stuffed with used furniture, appliances, and other goods.

The transmigrants, Portillo explained, are mostly from Guatemala, but come from other South American countries such as Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica.

According to Portillo, Mexican Customs at ports currently used by the transmigrants, such as the Los Indios port in the Texas Lower Valley, have decided to divert transmigrant traffic to the Del Rio, Eagle Pass, and Presidio ports due to “problems with congestion, safety, and security,” Portillo said, within the next two months.

Presidio, he said, could see around 130,000 to 160,000 additional vehicles going through the city per year, though the increased traffic might not boost the city’s economy.

“I suspect they will probably sleep in their vehicles and they will probably feed themselves,” he said, speaking of his experience with transmigrants when he was a Texas Department of Public Safety state trooper.

For export/imports into Mexico, he added, Mexican Customs requires a 72-hour waiting period, which he says may cause some of the transmigrants to require a 4-5 day wait in the border community.

“It has overwhelmed [Los Indios’] police department,” Portillo said. “They recover an average of 10 stolen vehicles per week and have around 5–6 accidents per week,” he told count officials. “More traffic may equal more accidents and will tax our EMS and local law enforcement.”

The city could also see an uptick in crime, he said.

“They travel in convoys and many are good people, but some will be of the criminal element, have gang affiliations, and use aliases and have a criminal history or may even be wanted,” he told The Presidio International/Big Bend Sentinel.

Currently, Los Indios Police Department Chief Jose de la Rosa said, the small border city currently sees around 1,000-2,000 vehicles per day during the holiday season, waiting to go into Mexico.

“We have a lot of accidents because of the transmigrants, and sometimes they have no insurance. And sometimes we get drivers driving 18-wheelers without the proper commercial driver’s licenses,” de la Rosa said, adding that the city has hired an additional seven officers to keep up with the workload due to the transmigrants. “We have a lot of traffic with Customs, and we’ve found out that, out of the vehicles that they’re trying to get to Mexico, there’s a 20 percent chance they’re stolen.”

The City of Presidio Police Department, Chief Marco Baeza said, will initially increase patrols in the areas where the transmigrants congregate. In the meantime, Chief Baeza said, he will be looking into possible ordinances to recommend to the city council to cut down on any major issue that may occur as the transmigrants come through town.

“Right now, I’m researching ordinances we can pass to insure the safety of the people of Presidio,” Baeza said. “Our concern right now is with people wandering around town and sleeping in their cars.”

Presidio County Chief Deputy Sheriff Joel Nuñez said his department will closely monitor the issue.

“We don’t have the data right now,” he said. “There’s already plenty of traffic on Friday and Sunday, and we expect the possibility of having traffic like that throughout the week, but right now it doesn’t warrant any extreme measures.”

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
if you buy it right and have buyers you can make money on it. I’ve bought and sold (invested) in everything from real estate, stocks, gold and silver, guns and ammo, knives and all the way down to dollar store tiki torches and hummingbird feeders.

What spawned my thinking is all the crypto naysayers and how they are shortsighting the fact that A LOT of money can be made in this space.

Another theory of mine is that everything I own is money and goes to my bottom line which is essentially my retirement “fund”, everything I own, assets as well as consumables is my fund so making a 200% return on a dollar store tiki torch adds to my bottom line, I run my retirement fund like a business. If I had the same number of buyers for my tiki torches and hummingbird feeders that the stock market has I would be a billionaire
I agree money can be made on anything and it’s about understanding the market price and not overpaying (you make your money on the buy).

I’m usually with you, but will disagree on cryptos. Everything else has some value even if the market drops. Cryptos can and I suspect will become absolutely worthless at some point because they don’t exist and have no intrinsic value or worth or purpose. The question is when?

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I like what I do for a living, but don't want to do it the rest of my life. A long time ago the bartering and horse trading thread turned me onto buying and selling stuff. That's anything. I will buy anything I can sell for more. Throughout my life I have been laughed at allot for what I have done. Usually the times I have been laughed at I made the most money. Started selling on ebay a few years ago with junk I found at thrift stores. Still sell thrift store stuff, but also HVAC parts, which is now what I focus on. In 2017 I only had 2 problems with buyers on ebay. One was just a return, because they didn't want it and the other I had to refund the person some money, because they couldn't count. Both were very small transactions. I hear allot of horror stories about selling on ebay, but so far I have encountered none. I'm sure my time will come, but the gain has far made up for any potential problem.

I was also laughed at when I went all in at the beginning of the year on Canadian Marijuana stocks. I was 100 percent certain they would fly with legalization coming. They did. I will never have a year again like 2017. I've learned to always go with your gut and things you believe in. People will always be negative towards your gains. Someday I hope I will be sitting on a lake fishing while they are working the grind.

Started to buy into cryptos a little while back. My goal is to make enough to pay for my ebay buys for the year, then I will walk. Been buying the dips and so far its been working out nicely.

Next will be real estate, but so far just waiting. In no rush right now.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
My buddy has tripled his investment in weed stocks since the summer. He keeps telling me to buy. Thursday, after Jeff Sessions’ comments Aphira was down 13% , then opened down 5% yesterday so I bought 400 shares and sold a few hours later for a 9% gain. If I had bought last summer I would be holding too but I’m too scared of a broad market meltdown.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I’m not sure why but I got a hard on for a Rolex and I’m looking to throw some money at one, I see used ones going for around $2k, it would be a buy and hold investment

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I like what I do for a living, but don't want to do it the rest of my life. A long time ago the bartering and horse trading thread turned me onto buying and selling stuff. That's anything. I will buy anything I can sell for more. Throughout my life I have been laughed at allot for what I have done. Usually the times I have been laughed at I made the most money. Started selling on ebay a few years ago with junk I found at thrift stores. Still sell thrift store stuff, but also HVAC parts, which is now what I focus on. In 2017 I only had 2 problems with buyers on ebay. One was just a return, because they didn't want it and the other I had to refund the person some money, because they couldn't count. Both were very small transactions. I hear allot of horror stories about selling on ebay, but so far I have encountered none. I'm sure my time will come, but the gain has far made up for any potential problem.

I was also laughed at when I went all in at the beginning of the year on Canadian Marijuana stocks. I was 100 percent certain they would fly with legalization coming. They did. I will never have a year again like 2017. I've learned to always go with your gut and things you believe in. People will always be negative towards your gains. Someday I hope I will be sitting on a lake fishing while they are working the grind.

Started to buy into cryptos a little while back. My goal is to make enough to pay for my ebay buys for the year, then I will walk. Been buying the dips and so far its been working out nicely.

Next will be real estate, but so far just waiting. In no rush right now.

I have had my issues on ebay as well. When I used to do auction listings, I had a couple of buyers that did not pay for their auction win and had to file a non-payment case against them to get my final value fees credited back to me. I no longer do auction listings. I just do BIN and BIN with best offer listings. Late last year, I had one package that that never got to the buyer and I had to refund their money, however, the package was not lost but it came back to me as "undeliverable". So I told the buyer what happened and I relisted it on ebay and the same buyer bought that bar from me and I shipped it and, this time, the order arrived at the buyer's street address and I got a positive feedback. I also had a customer that was dissatisfied with this '70's silver art bar order and mentioned why he was dissatisfied. Since I accept returns (with 14 days), the buyer returned the bar to me and I refunded his money and since the customer had to ship the bar back to me, I also refunded his shipping costs. Even though he was dissatisfied with his bar purchase, I got a positive feedback from this customer and he wanted to do business with me if I list a bar that he is interested in at the right price. When it comes to running an ebay business (or any business for that matter), customer service is the big key.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I’m not sure why but I got a hard on for a Rolex and I’m looking to throw some money at one, I see used ones going for around $2k, it would be a buy and hold investment
A family friend during the depression worried about her money in the bank because banks all around, including hers, would not allow customers to simply withdraw cash. They'd honor checks if you bought something. So this smart lady wrote a check for a Steinway grand piano, a transaction which got her money out of the failing bank and transferred the value to a non-depreciating asset. Smart lady.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
My buddy has tripled his investment in weed stocks since the summer. He keeps telling me to buy. Thursday, after Jeff Sessions’ comments Aphira was down 13% , then opened down 5% yesterday so I bought 400 shares and sold a few hours later for a 9% gain. If I had bought last summer I would be holding too but I’m too scared of a broad market meltdown.
I think the play by Sessions will not stop the marijane trade. His taking away the cover to do something that was federally illegal will give a push to have our legislators act on making it legal.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I had the same thought last year. However at the end of the day I just don't wear a watch--my phone is my timepiece and i suspect most are the same today. So I wonder what the value of watches like a Rolex will be in the future? Although if I was going to use it, then by all means I'd jump on it--especially a nice used one at that price.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I had the same thought last year. However at the end of the day I just don't wear a watch--my phone is my timepiece and i suspect most are the same today. So I wonder what the value of watches like a Rolex will be in the future? Although if I was going to use it, then by all means I'd jump on it--especially a nice used one at that price.
This is what I refer to by investments having a shelf life.
To today's generation, the new iPhone has more status than the Rolex.
And with cars, the 32 highboy has been supplanted by the 69 Chevelle SS396.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I don't even invest unless you count my land and houses. I make $1600 to $5,000 a season picking up things people have lost.
Millions of people lose valuable things every single day. Times that by 200+ years and there is a lot of stuff to find in these United States.
Free for the taking.

2015 I was blessed with good research and I was working 2 extremely productive, very old lakes.
Here is a copy and paste from my MD forum and my totals for Pirate Year 2015. ;

OK enough babbling. Gold total for 2015 is 52 pieces @ 200.5 grams. That's 6.4462 Troy Oz, converted for Mr Smooth and any of you in Rio Linda.

That consisted of 15.8 grams of 18k, 98.2 grams of 14k and 86.5 grams of 10k.

If you folks who have been following along from the first couple pages of this thread remember I got that big 15 inch NEL coil for my AT Pro that promised to go deeper than any Garrett coil. It does by a long shot. My 14k and 18k finds are way up since getting that coil. I can go into beaches that other folks have run standard metal detectors over and they clear the modern coins out and I get the deep heavy Gold. THAT is cheating, totally not fair and not nice. Snif....it's beautiful!!!

Total Gold sales netted me $4757.

Total silver sales netted me $115.

Total clad clogging the local coinstar $ 204.

So getting tan and exercised while watching fit young women frolic wearing dental floss paid me $5076 for pirate year 2015.

Beats the living shit out of sitting on the couch folks.

.:2 thumbs up:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It doesn't have anything to do with time - it's piece of jewelry and a status symbol. I don't have one, but my wife does, a gold one with a diamond bezel - bling, bling. She wears it often, even to the grocery store. Womens be like that.