• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Dollar General

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Have any of you noticed a rash of Dollar Generals going up in your area? They seem to be building a new one every 5 miles or so near me unless there's an existing one in town.

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
been going on for a while. they put one up several years ago in my home town, which was population 600 people at the time.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
First, we got a poorly constructed poorly maintained Family Dollar, then they built a Dollar General about a block away, a little better constructed and better maintained and cleaned. Now a big gas station with the same stuff. All price their food and drink items about 30% higher than a supermarket. The two privately owned [local people] gas stations that carried groceries and drink both were sold to Indians, not the red variety.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yes, and they often deceptively sell inferior merchandise, at least Family Dollar does. I don't buy much there, but when they first opened I was tricked a couple of times. One example was dishwasher detergent. Bought name brand that I was using at the time, for a significant discount. Did a terrible job of cleaning dishes. Turns out this was the stuff made for the Pacific Northwest greenies that took out the ingredient that actually worked. They couldn't sell it there, so they [I guess] sold it to Family Dollar to get rid of it and unload on the suckers. Even the milk there is dodgy. Good price for local, name brand {Dean's} but a couple of issues - does not get delivered by Deans, and if you look closely, you will see that the container is dented or has visual issues and \ or is dirty. Price right now goes from $2 - $2.50. So you can buy this name brand seconds that the supermarket chains rejected [I am guessing] at Family Dollar or go to Aldi's a couple of miles away and get non-name brand milk for $1.08 or go across the street to Walmart for the same price, if you are kewl with the united nations of Walmart customers. I had no idea how many illegals we had in the area until I went to Walmart. They were all there.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
There must be a good rate of return on the items sold. Probably bought for pennies. If there is a gas station or a motel, chances are it is Indian people owned. Profits are diverted back to country of origin. Kids schooled here.

Fatrat

Silver Miner
At Dollar General and other dollar, you need to be careful what you buy, some of it is knockoff stuff, but there are bargains too.

Fatrat

Silver Miner
My church likes rice and beans for the food pantry, Dollar General is price competitive with Walmart on those items, DG offers a $5 off of $25 or $30 coupon almost every other week, DG also has good cheap canned goods. I stock up on prepper items and donate to the pantry. As to this type of store showing up everywhere, my area is getting flooded too.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
They’ve built two in my area this year. They’ve added coolers for dairy, meat and FF and also have a small produce section. Trying to be a poor mans AlDI but still basically a High Fructose Corn Syrup distribution center.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^^^^^
Exactly what they "transformed" ours into. However, they didn't repair the cheap broken front door and it remains broken. Weird.
Also they must have purchased the bottom end of freezers and coolers, seems they are malfunctioning a lot, esp. the "fresh produce" one.
Very difficult to find a drink item of any kind that does not have HFCS or fake poison sugar. A couple of the house brand juices use sugar. Sometimes, you have to check.

As for fresh food, canned goods, HFCS drinks, frozen goods or snack items I have never seen a price I can't beat elsewhere on the exact equivalent product 2 miles down the road at the regular suspects [Walmart, to a lesser extent Aldi, not much name brand stuff, for sure Kroger is cheaper but a longer drive]. Now they do give out coupons on the receipt for money off a purchase over $25 say for the next Saturday, so perhaps you can get something cheaper by using that. Milk was cheaper before the "transformation" but they abandoned the cheap milk strategy, however, it is low cost, see my previous post.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
They have cheap bandaids and other first aid stuff. They likely make the bulk of their cash on coffin nails.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
We have a Family Dollar in town, the only corporate business in town. When they were planning the build, the contractor went to the County to get a Building Permit. They were told that 'we are a small rural county and don't have an office for Building Permits'. They started on the project and went back to see about the need for an Electrical Permit - they were told the same thing. After completion, they inquired about a Certificate of Occupancy, as the County employee started to repeat the line, the contractor finished the sentence and chuckled (as told to me by a County Commissioner).

Family Dollar has low quality everything - my wife buys cat food there. And they poorly maintain the grounds, overgrown and crappy.

Fatrat

Silver Miner
We have a Family Dollar in town, the only corporate business in town. When they were planning the build, the contractor went to the County to get a Building Permit. They were told that 'we are a small rural county and don't have an office for Building Permits'. They started on the project and went back to see about the need for an Electrical Permit - they were told the same thing. After completion, they inquired about a Certificate of Occupancy, as the County employee started to repeat the line, the contractor finished the sentence and chuckled (as told to me by a County Commissioner).

Family Dollar has low quality everything - my wife buys cat food there. And they poorly maintain the grounds, overgrown and crappy.
I don't expect an answer, but, where the heck do you live? This sounds about as small town as it gets...

EO 11110

He Hate Me
Mother Lode
been dealing with them for over a decade....lots of them in/around houston. use them all the time -- for a dozen eggs/gallon of milk/salt shaker, pet food, pack of underwear, water sprinkler, desk fan. all low quality crap -- but pop in grab and go type shopping

i looked at investing in them years ago -- was about to pull the trigger, and a private equity group bought the whole thing. they leveraged it up with debt, paid themselves huge bonuses and went public with an ipo a couple of years later. i wouldnt touch it now

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
any inside info on that judge that was killed out there?
You mean Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia? At first I thought it was just an 80 year old guy having a heart attack, now, I don't know, fishy.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
any inside info on that judge that was killed out there?
Many claim it's a "Boys Ranch" where pedo's can diddle little boys. Some sources say that he was diddling a 13yo boy who killed AS. Official story is that he was found with a pillow over his face and was pronounced dead....OVER THE PHONE! His family quickly cremated the body with no autopsy which gives some credence to the pedophile theory.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
DG has been on steroids in my region. Buildings going up in many cities.

Talked to a property tax assessor about DG. She had interesting things to say! Also from one of the construction workers.

They want to build stores every 30 miles (in my region anyway). Each store cost $1.2 million to build (more or less). Crappy construction.

Cement crew that came in to setup and pour the cement slab (store and parking lot), told engineer that the slab would be too low. Engineer told cement crew not to haul in more fill to raise where store/parking lot will be built. Cement slab was poured with no rebar in it either. So the parking lot is lower than the ditch along the highway that fills with water. Water will be running in the front door of this store someday, too.

Store and two others were sold to an out of state investor (across country that probably never saw the place) for $1.5 million each. So they must have built the store for $1.2 million and sold it for $1.5 million? Profit of $300,000 and original cost to build ($1.2 million) to go and build another store.

Purchaser of store leases the store back to DG for 15 year lease. Now the purchaser has to maintain property for 15 years. Anything goes wrong (parking lot cement cracks and/or, heaves, store floods, etc.), DG will be forcing purchaser to fix the shoddy construction, flood damage, etc.

Some gas station/convenience store chain is also looking at coming into the same communities that build a DG.

Stores (Wally World, etc.) sell products (laundry detergent, etc.) in large containers. Seems the Dollar stores sell same product in smaller quantities and make more cash when selling at these smaller quantity packages? Also, not may employees. Someone at cashier retail counter and stocking shelves. Probably save on labor costs, too.

Any former DG employees on here? Curious to know more about their operation.