• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Experiences with counterfit gold coins

I know the tungsten filled gold bars have been in circulation but I was wondering if anyone has encountered well made tungsten filled gold coins with gold plating
that had weight and size measurements of the real thing . I know tungsten is very close in weight/ density to gold .

I figured the tungsten gold bars are sometimes easier to counterfeit because the bars may have a bit more variances in size/ weight compared
to the strict variances of a 1 oz gold eagle or 1 oz kruggerand.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
I never even heard of a counterfeit AGE, let alone a high quality counterfeit AGE.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
The problems making a fake gold-plated coin from tungsten stem from its extreme hardness, which makes it impossible to just stamp out a coin from a blank, and extremely high melting point. One would have to to resort to complicated and expensive powder metallurgy techniques, which would very likely not result in a good surface appearance in the finished product. It may be possible to "sandwich press" pure gold around a tungsten disc, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it. Some coins (and bars) are thick enough that they could be drilled into the edge and tungsten "wire" pressed in with restoration of the edge surface, again time-intensive and probably really not worth doing at the current gold price.

If gold is revalued to something like $50K in an international reset, it's Katie bar the door and I predict there would be all kinds of attempts to counterfeit at that price, and not just by individuals.

2c,
R.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
That fake Krug is an example of the crappy surface quality that I mentioned earlier. Ugg-ly! Not even the right color either, as it looks to be plated with pure gold, whereas K-rands have a decidedly copperish tinge). :thumbs_up:

R.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
That fake Krug is an example of the crappy surface quality that I mentioned earlier. Ugg-ly! Not even the right color either, as it looks to be plated with pure gold, whereas K-rands have a decidedly copperish tinge). :thumbs_up:

R.
I agree Ragnarok. Just wanted to provide some examples to the OP about fake coins that are out there. Even the beloved Sovereign and Krugerrand are at risk. Just need to know what to look for.

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
I agree Ragnarok. Just wanted to provide some examples to the OP about fake coins that are out there. Even the beloved Sovereign and Krugerrand are at risk. Just need to know what to look for.

Seems a lot of trouble to make a lousy looking fake.
I wonder why anyone would do it?
No coin dealer is gonna be fooled.

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
Where is that thread that talks about how hard it is to create fake gold coins using rounds?
Irons pointed out that it would be near impossible to do this, or the cost of doing so would be much much greater than the current price of gold.

He even shot down the whole idea of coating tungsten blanks with real gold.

Someone find that thread and put a stickey on it please

this is great info to know

I think it validates that well known gold coinage would be more desireable to own , then gold bars/ ingots
in a sceanrio of total currency collapse , where precious metals are used for bartering/ goods.

Gold coins seem nearly impossible to counterfeit because their proper weight/ dimensions are well known by people in this game and even if they
get those stats close , the look of the coin is very phony.

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Fake Krugs in Minnesota a couple of years ago being passed off to pawn shops. Lady got caught, saw some of them personally they weren't bad knock offs.

Gotta be careful.:afraid:

with the examples of the counterfeit gold coins, it looks like the outer thin layer of real gold, does not adhere well to the inner tungsten
core , giving the outside appearance a very fake bubbly , rough look or almost like a spray painted look.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
    • Its getting scary out here folks.

Opens image gallery

Have one to sell? Sell now- Have one to sell?

Shop with confidence

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more- opens in new window or tab
Seller information
nale8494 (22 )
100% Positive feedback

Save this Seller

Contact seller

See other items

Gold plate piece 10 dollar indian head 1911 eagle replica (Hercule semeuse)- show original title

Condition:
--

Quantity:
3 available

Price:
EUR 11.49
Approximately US $12.64
Buy It Now-

Add to cart-

Best Offer:

Make Offer-

Add to Watchlist

No returns
100% positive feedback

You'll earn approximately US $0.13 in eBay Bucks. See conditions

Shipping:
EUR 8.00 (approx. US $8.80) La Poste - Lettre Suivie Internationale | See details
See details about international shipping here.

Item location:
Ailhon, France

Ships to:
Worldwide

Delivery:
Estimated between Thu. Sep. 19 and Tue. Sep. 24
Seller ships within 2 days after receiving cleared payment- opens in a new window or tab.

Payments: