• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Farm Tractor thread

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
It might be. You'd have to research the model tractor and find out whether there's real differences between that and the 175 you were looking at.

And if there really isn't, it's not necessarily a deal-buster. If it comes like that cheaper than you could have your own loader put on, you're still ahead.

You're still 2WD with that, though...one problem with a loader, when you don't have a backhoe on the other end, is lack of traction - at least partly from being nose-heavy.
As for nose-heavy, this particular MF-175 has wheel ballasts (weights) and I'd think that would help with stability. The other difference is an increase of 23-hp + remotes. I'm not sure that Industrial loader has remotes or not.

JustPassinThru

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I don't get the obsession with power steering. I've run Ford 8Ns without; Fords from the 1960s with the linkage power steering; and that David Brown, with a pure-hydraulic steering setup.

I'd take the manual steering over the non-mechanical hydraulic steering.

I've ALSO driven Peterbilts withOUT power steering...it's not so hard. Power steering, especially on cars, masks design flaws. Now it may well be that power steering is an aid in some circumstances with a loader - but I don't know that.

I think the bigger question is, is the buyer comfortable with how it steers with a load or while scraping up a load.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You can fill the rear tires with beet juice for ballast.

The problem with not having power steering is working in tight places as well as wear on steering components. You can steer just about anything without power steering by getting the machine rolling before turning the wheel, but that limits you to whatever direction the wheels are pointing before it rolls.

JustPassinThru

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You can fill the rear tires with beet juice for ballast.

The problem with not having power steering is working in tight places as well as wear on steering components. You can steer just about anything without power steering be getting the machine rolling before turning the wheel, but that limits you to whatever direction the wheels are pointing before it rolls.
Point taken on setting the wheels with the tractor stationary.

But...cocking the wheels with the tractor stationary, is hard on the steering components - with or without power. Easier for the operator; but the knuckles, linkage, ball joints...all are stressed tremendously.

Of course, you gotta do what you gotta do. Wear is part of use.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
But...cocking the wheels with the tractor stationary, is hard on the steering components - with or without power. Easier for the operator; but the knuckles, linkage, ball joints...all are stressed tremendously.
With power steering, there is no wear on the upper steering column bearings, and depending on the type of power steering, little wear on the box and pitman arm either.

rockriver

Seeker
Seeker
yahoo.
2 tractors...
it's like ammo... ya can't have too much... the floor isn't cracking yet..
so congrats on the diesel purchase...
let's just figure that the shtf.
folks have got to learn to "grow their own."
mr. midas down the road has a bucket full of gold.
mr. ardent has an extra tractor....
mr ardent is richer than mr. midas!!

rr

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
suggestions on some issues you have asked about

#1 digging with a loader in natural undisturbed soils will be a slow process at best.....and yes soils would need to be ripped ....and teeth on a loader would make a difference for digging

#2 if you look to buy a tractor with a loader .....always make sure the loader will pick up the frount of the tractor...its a good hydraulic check....also run the loader up and in a dump position ...(this position would have all the cylinders extended) and make sure it runs smooth...this verifiys fluid capacity etc.

#3 any loader is good but some are better than others...so look for welds...cracks..attachment points on the tractor...look for joint looseness...grease make a lot of difference.....joystick loaders i much prefer over multilever loaders...

#4 verify the loader actually raises to a good useable working height...

#5 i agree with Hoarder....it seems to always be more expensive to ADD items to a tractor than to buy one already the way you need it...

#6 another feature that is nice....is quick change buckets...I quick change between buckets and pallet forks...and hay spikes regularly..

#7 one of the first things i check when i get on a new tractor with a loader is......will it go high enough and bucket tilt back enough to dump back on ME the operator......always learn the limits and capacities in a non-critical situation

#8 I really much much prefer tractors with loaders to have either a shuttle F/R or be Hydrostatic....since i do a lot of field work i dont own a Hydrostatic tractor.....all my loader machines are Shuttle F/R ......

#9 frount tire condition and capacity and tractor ballasting are concerns..

#10 i cant speak to powersteering.....every loader tractor i have ever used had powersteering

#11 you will also find a use for a tractor with at least one remote

just some thoughts to think about........you will use that loader tractor a lot.....

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
As to power steering, you don't use tractors on smooth pavement. Hit an antbed at 3mph with a non PS tractor and you'd better not have your thumbs inside the steering wheel.

Once you break a thumb or two you'll learn to hold the wheel with your thumbs on the outside.:ahhhhh:

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Hoarder,
This pic is for you, showing my slip-clutch on the PTO as well as my 'rooster-comb' that I was talking about.........makes mowing a breeze. :thumbs_up:

Tractor 032.jpg

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hoarder,
This pic is for you, showing my slip-clutch on the PTO as well as my 'rooster-comb' that I was talking about.........makes mowing a breeze. :thumbs_up:
I've never seen a rooster comb before. Mine had a different arrangement. Looks good.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Jesus christ goto a farmer forum like combine world,and ask people who know what they are talking about.
i have been over there......they have twice as many opinions as we do.....i especially love the "which is the best tractor" type threads

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
never seen a "rooster comb" setup before.....everything i have you can set a stop on the 3pt control arm "rock shaft" for height

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
i have been over there......they have twice as many opinions as we do.....i especially love the "which is the best tractor" type threads
Ha ! ........that sounds much like the AR versus AK gun threads here and over at the gun sites. :clap2:

As for O-pinions, I remember the saying that it's like a-holes..........everyone has one !!!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
AD i think people forget what your trying to accomplish.....your wanting to do hobby stuff and general light maintenance.........farmers/contractors spend more$ on just a loader attachment than you will have in two tractors......and more on a tractor than most people have in their whole homes.....sure those guys have experience but its on a whole different scale......its like asking a quarry miner how to plow your garden...

northfarmer

Seeker
Seeker
Are you from space?Your logic?
Quarry Miner?

Tractors and farming are for farmers,who know what they are talking about.

Like any profession.

No less important than anything else.

Only here a plumber pretends to know more than a mechanic.

Substitute your trade for the later.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Last edited:

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
To help the illustration by Tazz,

It's like comparing a 'shade tree mechanic' to an 'industrial mechanic' working full time in a factory or dealership. For starters the equipment alone is night versus day and most 'shade tree mechanics' don't even have a lift but use hydraulic jacks and stands to get underneath the vehicle. However, shade-tree mechanics can save their household lots of money by performing general maintenance on their cars & trucks.

I guess you might call me a shade-tree farmer...........or someone mentioned to me a white-collar farmer but that might be drawing political lines.

northfarmer

Seeker
Seeker
Shade tree mechanic-your exactly right.

When i'm working on an implement and have a problem guess who i call?

The shop foreman.

The professional.

When i have an agronomic problem guess who i call?

The local agrologist.

The professional.

Maybe i missed it but you guys are discussing the in and outs of 50 year old tractors without even mentioning parts availability.

All the while dismissing the vast pool of knowledge on a website like combine world,where men have spent millions of hours on tractors.

And some of them have become white collar-because they worked their asses off.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Shade tree mechanic-your exactly right.

When i'm working on an implement and have a problem guess who i call?

The shop foreman.

The professional.

When i have an agronomic problem guess who i call?

The local agrologist.

The professional.
Hey, more power to ya but I'm only trying to manage 5-acres. Professional only means they make $$$-money at what they do and sometimes they do it well and sometimes they don't but get paid regardless. I frankly don't have the green to hire anyone to help me out nor do I care to try and compete on that level.

Maybe i missed it but you guys are discussing the in and outs of 50 year old tractors without even mentioning parts availability.
I've done some poking around on the net enough to know that parts for Ford 8N's and Ferguson TO-20's are plentiful and not too hard to come by with the proper searching techniques. The advantage of 50-year old tractors (the popular ones) is they have an established following kinda like a 1960's Ford Mustang if ya catch my drift or should I say dust ? << (insert proper farmer slang here)

All the while dismissing the vast pool of knowledge on a website like combine world,where men have spent millions of hours on tractors.
To be as coarse as in your styled approach to my thread, I didn't know real farmers had time for internet, let alone access to it ! :bear_laugh:

And some of them have become white collar-because they worked their asses off.
I bet they have and I don't wish to become a career farmer, but my hats off to them as great Americans that help make this country strong (and I won't even mention government subsidies.......oops, I guess I did).

mcmurph

Seeker
Seeker
It was a nice thread until...

2879775-internet_troll.jpg

Don't feed it!

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I wonder how many professional farmers pull a 2 bottom Dearborn plow with a Ford 8N.

I wonder how many professional farmers make a living with a $2,000 tractor.

I wonder how many professional farmers make their living with 60 year old equipment.

My guess is most of them don't even have a garden.

rockriver

Seeker
Seeker
tazz,
your 10-8 post is great... how do I give you some stars...
great practical advice for those of us that aren't graduates of the JD school of tractors!!!
rr

northfarmer

Seeker
Seeker
I was driving a massey 175 28 years ago when i was 10,still have the damn thing.

Farmers dont garden?

I grow 6,000,000 pounds of food every year.

I have spent 10's of thousands of hours on tractors.

My aggressiveness comes from the constant contempt people throw at our profession.Plus its raining and i cant combine,so i am sorry.

The man who raised me plowed behind horses,so dont start the "two bottom dear born plow s%%t".

You want to compare a 4020 jd against a ford 8n,like ogre suggested,thats your prerogative,but him and i(should not speak for him)know there is no comparison.

Subzidies?no brainer they are wrong,but everyone gets cheap food out of it.

Take a good listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUu615sYlsM

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

"Can't see the forest for the trees"

All professions are corrupt these days. That's why I take the advice of a professional with a grain of salt.

Sure, farming is a more honorable profession than car selling or law, but it's still corrupt. Look at corn. If you produce six million pounds of genetically modified, herbicide and pesticide sprayed corn a year, did you produce food or toxins?

(that should get him stirred up)

Last edited:

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
I was driving a massey 175 28 years ago when i was 10,still have the damn thing.
Ok now, we're getting somewhere. What's your opinion or advice on adding a front end loader to a MF-175 ? I found a guy in my area that has a ML-500 TAS loader (joystick control) and a bucket w/teeth off a Belarus for sale $2250. Of course, I'll need to find someone to weld on some mounting brackets but I think it might work out for my needs.

My aggressiveness comes from the constant contempt people throw at our profession.Plus its raining and i cant combine,so i am sorry.
Understood.......we're all friends here and I have the utmost respect for real farmers which is why I'm buying real tractors from them. The seller with the MF-175 was raised on a 400-acre peanut farm and has been farming for 60+ years. He's the reason why I sport a rooster comb top link on my little Ferguson. That thing runs like a champ and cuts like a charm. It also turns better than my Husqvarna riding mower when compared to its proportional size.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
my mood is a bit better......this last big cold frount that came through has left us with a full week of wonderful weather for harvesting not to wet 70deg weather..........we already chopped up all the corn earlier for silage....but the soybeans look pretty good.... good week to plant some winter rye and wheat...its wonderful to have nice pleasant weather to get some things caught up.....and i have been blessed with minimal minor breakdowns this year

northfarmer

Seeker
Seeker
So you want me to be a bio-chemist/stat analyis/medical professional on top of everything else?

Gm's are a tool in the the tool box,legislate they are harmful and BANG the farmers will switch.

Personally-and i would change this opinion if research showed different-the real culprit that we are doing wrong is pesticide(stuff that kills insects) and pre harvest use of glyphosate.

We are spraying glpho on the seeds that are about to be harvested,for reasons,i dont know but i dont think its good.

Pesticides are from the 7th ring of hell,we get bugs in our grain and we treat that grain with something called phostoxin(spelling).

The stuff we spray on crops kills every living thing in the field,near by me a custom applicattor dropped two surveyors when appling the stuff,not dead,but we are talking about a
different level of abuse compared to herbicides and fungicides.

Gmo"s im on the fence.

This all personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

As farmers i believe we could maintain a large level of production with max fertilizer use,no pesticides,some glypho,no gmo.

Animals and hormones,on the fence, worried about the toxins they end up storing in their fat,which with bio-magnifaction we end up with(personally a big believer in eating a lot of saturated fat-whole knew subject)

Get back to you on the tractor in a bit.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Meanwhile..........here's a few jokes to lighten this thread up a bit:

How do farmers make crop circles?
With a protractor.

Farming is :
Gardening for people with far too much land

I think the farmer next door is on drugs but getting evidence is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

What do you call a guy who used to like tractors?
An Extractor fan.

In a countryside field a sign reads....

"The Farmer allows walkers to cross this field for free, but the bull charges"

I couldn't get my tractor back home from work today.

I drove into a magnetic field.

I'm not trying to impress you but,...
I own a tractor.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
GUYS - I found it !!!!!!!

.....and it's only $2450 with a loader.........this will be awesome :party30:

[h=2]ANTIQUE FARMALL H WITH LOADER - $2450 (LAWTON, OK)[/h]

northfarmer

Seeker
Seeker
Ours has a front end loader,but it hasnt been used in years.

One attachment that works real slick is a front mount post pounder.

Another thing if you have a bucket is pallet forks that attach to the bucket,i use them more than the bucket itself.

I built a giant dump box(for garbage and lite stuff) by attaching 3 pallets together for the base and one on each side then a sheet of ply wood for a back,also
doubles as a work platform.

Make sure you read the local auction catalogues or put out want ad's in newspapers.

At a farm auction its easy to identify if the owner took care of stuff by the condition everything else is in.

On a side note saving your cash and making payments on a newer/maybe smaller jd yard tractor should be considered.
Their financing programs make it easier than buying a car.

If i told you how easy it is for farmers to buy 500,000 dollar pieces of equipment,you probably not believe me.
No finacial statements 20% down,good credit,signature drive it off the lot.

Another side note,why do farmers do this?Crazy?Look at the corporate income tax depreciation rate on machinery.
Payments are made because it makes sense.

I've never seen it written or talked about,but i believe this was a tool used to spur economic activity.
Constant roll over to keep factories moving.

Another side note(yes thats 3 or 4 i lost track),is the up coming japan debacle.
We have brought stuff over,its not to hard,but i believe alot of ag equipment will be liquidated.

Funny story,a biker blew by me doing 80-90 miles an hour when i was in a bmw we got from there so i descided to see what the thing could do
must have hit 140 or so when i tore past him.

RUSH2112

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I wonder how many professional farmers pull a 2 bottom Dearborn plow with a Ford 8N.

I wonder how many professional farmers make a living with a $2,000 tractor.

I wonder how many professional farmers make their living with 60 year old equipment.

My guess is most of them don't even have a garden.
My neighbor farmed and may still be farming with old, outdated equipment.

Not sure what a professional farmer is, but his crops put most in the neighborhood to shame.

And he always worked his ground untill it is just right for planting. Never rushed anything.

None of this no-till planting for Bob.

Always had a hoe in his hand, as well.

Actually one of the very few who always had a clean bean field.

Almost every summer day, you could see Bob out in the beanfield, with his hoe in hand.

I miss watching Bob farm, but the city is now my home.

RUSH2112

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Funny story,a biker blew by me doing 80-90 miles an hour when i was in a bmw we got from there so i descided to see what the thing could do
must have hit 140 or so when i tore past him.
Seriously, your a farmer and drive a BMW?

Not that I'm impressed, just find it a little odd.

Zilver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
So something along these lines might be better ?!?

40Horse Power Diesel Tractor Recent Overhaul , # point PTO , Loader Hydro Shuttle , Good Tires
I like it,
it looks like a late 60's era machine that was built to last
if it has a properly done Recent Overhaul on the diesel engine
the machine should make someone very happy.

I would say that it has to have power steering,
has anyone ever try to steer a tractor / loader / backhoe with 2 thousand pounds of dirt in the bucket?
good luck!

My 40hp AC diesel backhoe stripped the spline connector that runs the power steering pump last summer
and let me tell you,

you can not use/steer the machine with weight in the bucket unless the power steering is functioning

The little spline connector was about the size of a 3/8" socket but it cost me about $70 for a new one,
but the machine was useless without it.

Things to check on that tractor would be
do all gears work without popping out and does the shuttle work properly?
also check the brakes,
replacing brakes is a rather big chore,
my hoe needs brakes,they are internal so I have to pull a lot of heavy parts to replace them,.... not fun

northfarmer

Seeker
Seeker
Re-read the post,the japs where fire sailing prices they where easy to bring over for a few g's and resell at a profit.

I've driven so many models of high end stuff i can't keep or bother to know make and model numbers.

For some reason the air conditioning never worked when brought over.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
My neighbor farmed and may still be farming with old, outdated equipment.

Not sure what a professional farmer is, but his crops put most in the neighborhood to shame.
Yep, as long as you have the tools to git 'er done.

I have some tools in my box 50 and 60 years old and guess what ?........They still work. Whether it's a hammer, a screwdriver, or a pair of pliers I can still fix things with old tools. Yeah, I guess I could go to my local hardware and buy new shiny tools with improved grips that will wear-out in a few years but I don't. My granddaddy's tools do me just fine and I like it.

Now, I have the 'old' tractor bug and appreciate how much of a workhorse these old iron wheels are. It'll be an adventure if something breaks during usage but so are old classic cars when you drive them around and I'm used to that. Good news is that with a tractor, I won't have to tow her home and the garage is much closer.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's a Ford 4000 model (gas) with a loader in my area for $4k............a little rough and well used but it is what it is.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
looks like something that would fit your operation.......with those add on loaders its good to see how difficult it will be to get to engine service points

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
.......with those add on loaders its good to see how difficult it will be to get to engine service points
Hmmm........that definitely is something to look for - good point. :beerglass: