• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

FBI director on Apple fight: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
FBI director on Apple fight: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’

By Victor Reklaitis
Published: Feb 22, 2016 5:41 a.m. ET

Protesters worldwide plan to blast the FBI for trying to break into a terror suspect’s iPhone, and the general public looks like it’s mostly on Apple’s side in this fight.

Meanwhile, the FBI’s director says everyone should essentially chill out.

“We simply want the chance, with a search warrant, to try to guess the terrorist’s passcode without the phone essentially self-destructing and without it taking a decade to guess correctly. That’s it,” said James Comey in a letter released Sunday.

“We don’t want to break anyone’s encryption or set a master key loose on the land.”

His letter also calls for more discussion about balancing privacy and safety: “I hope folks will take deep breath and stop saying the world is ending, but instead use that breath to talk to each other.”

Comey’s comments come as the controversy continues around Apple’s AAPL, -0.23% refusal to comply with a court order to provide a backdoor into the iPhone used by San Bernardino, Calif., shooting suspect Syed Rizwan Farook.

Protesters are expected to gather Tuesday in more than 30 cities around the globe, including in Washington, D.C. — outside the FBI’s headquarters. A MarketWatch poll has found readers mostly in favor of Apple CEO Tim Cook’s defiant move, and newspaper editorials typically agree with Apple.

But the FBI’s top cop maintains that people should stop making such a big deal out of all this.

“The San Bernardino litigation isn’t about trying to set a precedent or send any kind of message. It is about the victims and justice,” Comey wrote in the letter. He argued the legal issue is “actually quite narrow,” and the FBI’s request is limited and its “value increasingly obsolete because the technology continues to evolve.”

Vote: Should Apple comply with the order to unlock the San Bernardino iPhone?

His letter includes an appeal for a national conversation about “how to both embrace the technology we love and get the safety we need.” Comey, who became the FBI’s director in 2013, said there is “a serious tension between two values we all treasure — privacy and safety.”

“That tension should not be resolved by corporations that sell stuff for a living. It also should not be resolved by the FBI, which investigates for a living,” wrote Comey, whose prior gigs include serving as deputy attorney general and working as general counsel for defense giant Lockheed Martin LMT, -0.27% and Ray Dalio’s hedge fund, Bridgewater Associates.

“It should be resolved by the American people deciding how we want to govern ourselves in a world we have never seen before. We shouldn’t drift to a place — or be pushed to a place by the loudest voices,” Comey said.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fb...he-world-is-ending-2016-02-22?dist=beforebell

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
“We simply want the chance, with a search warrant, to try to guess the terrorist’s passcode without the phone essentially self-destructing and without it taking a decade to guess correctly. That’s it,” said James Comey in a letter released Sunday.
That's exactly what the Court Order says. All they want is the ability to run a brute force attack via data port connection.
The more I think about this, the more I wonder if the main reason Apple does not want to provide the ability to do that is because the encryption algorithm itself may not be all that good? Is it possible that the only thing that does keep it secure is the limit of 10 passcode attempts combined with data wiping capability?
...and having to manually enter the code?

I really doubt they would come out and say that, but if it were the case it could explain why they say doing what the Court Order asks amounts to creating a "backdoor" on all iphones.
Especially so considering the average person uses relatively short, easy to remember passwords. How many people actually use passwords like, dThwIea26$kyTB(imM_u5? that would take a while even for a super computer to get to in a brute force attack.

Also, is Apples stonewalling an attempt to regain face with the public after years of behind the scenes bending-over-backwards for gov requests that only have come out after the fact or via leaks? As has been stated, they've previously not had an issue helping big bro G get into phones.
Per my understanding, after 9/11 most if not all the telecoms and computer companies did anything asked of them, with or with warrants. We only learned of stuff like that after the fact via whistle blower people.
This could be Apples way of being able to say they did everything they could do, before being forced to do it by Appeals Court and/or Supreme Court.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
but if you rewrite the code to do a brute force attack, that is a back door, and it is access, and it is .gov telling a private corporation how to run their business,

fail

and now stories are coming out all across silicon valley about others and their 'govt requests' received, twitter, microsoft, faceplant, etc.

the_shootist

I identify as vaccinated, bitches!
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Screw you Mr. FBI director

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Screw you Mr. FBI director
Yeah! What you said!

Like the FBI has such a stellar reputation for ethical behavior...

FBI is a tool of the Executive Branch and the agenda to dominate the hearts and minds of We the People through intimidation and yes, BRUTE FORCE.

If the alphabets were of any practical use, they would have been following the SB shooters BEFORE the attack, or better yet, they would have properly vetted the wife, or better yet, for the sake of public safety, erred on the side of caution and disallowed either shooter to emigrate to the U.S.

But of course, the agenda calls for integration and tolerance of our Muslim next-door neighbors.

To their credit however, FBI has proven quite adept at coercing witnesses and false confessions, the wide-spread use of scumbag crooks as informants, losing witness statements which state the truth, and shooting unarmed Patriots.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The fbi should simply hire someone willing to do the job.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
We simply want the chance, with a search warrant, to try to guess the terrorist’s passcode without the phone essentially self-destructing and without it taking a decade to guess correctly. That’s it,” said James Comey in a letter released Sunday.

“We don’t want to break anyone’s encryption or set a master key loose on the land.”
Once this code is made and in the fbi's hands, there is no telling if it will get leaked or misused.

This will seriously harm apples reputation as a software maker if it makes secret bypass codes and gives it to government agencies who are known for abusing power.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Not only does the FBI want to force Apple to crack the encryption they want to tell us what our opinion is about it

I'm with Shootist, F off FBI

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Maybe AAPL could hack it and then give the FBI the cracked phone?

It's a bitter pill I'm not in favor of and I'd like to point it out AGAIN that the NSA spying and recording EVERY electronic transmission (or so we are told...hmmm). Shouldn't they should already have that data? Perhaps they be lying...?

I happened to be surfing the radio dial today and even Rush is against it!
Said something about his already having all his private info splashed all over for the world to see.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
the war channel is pounding the drums over this yet again,

saying there are 'surveys' done that a overwhelming number of Americans choose to side with the .gov,

yet, there is no reference to what surveys, done by whom, and what the questions were,
which of course will never be verified,

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
^^ that's because they're lying...

AgBar

Commodore
Gold Chaser
U.S. sought data from 15 Apple iPhones in last four months

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-encryption-idUSKCN0VW0BM

...and it looks to me like this is more about setting a precedent than anything else. 175 cases waiting for a ruling in Manhattan alone:

To that point, the New York City police commissioner, William J. Bratton, and the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., criticized Apple after it refused to comply with the court order and said that they currently possessed 175 iPhones that they could not unlock.

Charlie Rose recently interviewed Mr. Vance and asked if he would want access to all phones that were part of a criminal proceeding should the government prevail in the San Bernardino case.

Mr. Vance responded: “Absolutely right.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/technology/apple-unlock-iphone-san-bernardino.html?_r=2

(quote is about 1/2 way down the article)

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
...and it looks to me like this is more about setting a precedent than anything else. 175 cases waiting for a ruling in Manhattan alone:
nice find, as it proves this is far more than 1 phone

it sounds like apple finally has had enough of their bs and now going to stand up and put an end to it one way or another

175 in Manhattan alone?

tell me all those are terrorism related also,

tell that to all the naysayers that said we were full of shit, beating the drum about this abuse of .gov power

ohhh what do you have to hide?
ohhh it is just one phone

here on this forum we have heard persons spouting the company line,

to them, I refer them to the BF quote and say travel off to your life of bondage

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The fbi should simply hire someone willing to do the job.
IMHO, that would be the worst outcome for everyone.

Maybe AAPL could hack it and then give the FBI the cracked phone?
While I can understand Apples reluctance to do so, if there is any chance the job could be hired out to a 3rd party, Apple should certainly do as you suggest. If the job is hired out, chances are the gov will get the code and possibly even learn how to turn off the 10 passcode failures, limitation on any phone. If Apple does it, at least they have the possibility of controlling the code.
...and again I ask, why could they not update everyone else's iphone OS so that the code used on this one phone will not run on any other phone? If there is one thing Apple excels at, it is building/programming in obsolescence to their products and software.

It's a bitter pill I'm not in favor of and I'd like to point it out AGAIN that the NSA spying and recording EVERY electronic transmission (or so we are told...hmmm). Shouldn't they should already have that data? Perhaps they be lying...?
Possibly, but wouldn't it still be encrypted? I thought the whole point of Apples security was that it is what's known as "end to end" encryption?

I happened to be surfing the radio dial today and even Rush is against it!
Said something about his already having all his private info splashed all over for the world to see.
With all the security leaks and data breaches and wholesale collecting of the bits and bytes of everyones lives, I can certainly understand peoples sentiment on the issue.