• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Field Improvised shower?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Shower? In the woods? I can smell that pretty soap a mile away. Are you really sure you want me to know where you are?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
With some modification to the spray end so it does not cut into flesh,
C'mon man! Don't be a wimp about it, use that thing at full power. It'll toughen ya up.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Back before bathrooms and showers people bathed in the river. Why can't we just do that?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Back before bathrooms and showers people bathed in the river. Why can't we just do that?
Who has a river in down town New Yuk, or Joysey ??

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Edited to add: ^^^^ best idea yet, right there.

Who has a river in down town New Yuk, or Joysey ??
Last I checked, there's rivers on both sides of NYC and Jersey has their shore. IMHO that's good enough for 'em.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Shower bag would be my second choice, but it's slow on overcast days. The best way by far is a 12 quart stock pot on your coleman propane camp stove. Use a laser temp gun to check temperature. 95 to 102 degrees F is good. Or just put your wrist in to feel the temp. then scoop
shower 001.JPG
it out with a cup and pour it on. 12 quarts is enough for anyone to shampoo their hair and wash their body unless they have long hair or weigh several hundred pounds.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I got it because of how efficiently it can create hot water without fire or power. It's only a few bucks, easy to store and use. Can you see the potential?
YES, I see the potential, for those that have a lot of sunshine, I live in a rain forest, free water, free shower . :beer:

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Take cold water showers. In other words, when it rains, get naked and go outside with your bar of soap.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Keep it simple - solar shower bag will do the trick. I used one when I camped in the mountains for a full summer - never lacked for hot water.

View attachment 106073
I had to go a week or so with out a shower once when the bathroom was being remodeled. I found that the hose and or things like this shower bag just did not cut it. It helped but I am looking for something that gets a little closer to a real shower for longer term service outages.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Take cold water showers. In other words, when it rains, get naked and go outside with your bar of soap.
O GOOD LORD!!!! :dog:

That is SO early 1940's!!! Us kids lived under a Commandment that beat the other Ten:

When it rained, we were out in the front with soap, bathing. Period. Drop all clothing and scrub. Nearest neighbors were four miles away, and we never met them.

If the rain stopped too soon, we just had one kid cranking the pump handle while the others rinsed off. Oh... and when we went a mile down the road to the Roeleff Jannsen Kill sp? (its a big creek) to go swimming... we always had soap with us.

Being a pedant, I could not let the spelling of "The Creek" be in limbo... so I looked it up. Roeliff Jansen Kill. So what? Well, by accident, I found a fargin picture of our swimming hole!!!! Himself learned to swim there during the War. Look close -- the water is crystal. Lotsa fishies.

And THEN, GOOD LORD!!! I found a picture of the CNE Railway cut. When my mother was a child, she used to walk the mile from the farm to the "station" -- which was just a small lean-to -- so she could get to watch the steam locomotive come chugging through.

Ignore the trees in the pic. They weren't there even when I was a kid. The train stopped running about 1925 or so, and the rails were all pulled up.

Jackson Corners had a state-issued cast iron sign that said, "Population 23". Miz Gaddis' general store and post office had a clear-glass gas pump across the road. The store had been a stagecoach stop back in the early 1700's.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got it because of how efficiently it can create hot water without fire or power. It's only a few bucks, easy to store and use. Can you see the potential?
Just be prepared to wash them out with baking soda and water before use as per their instructions.
I presume its to get rid of the Durian and shrimp flavor.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

That is SO early 1940's!!! Us kids lived under a Commandment that beat the other Ten:

When it rained, we were out in the front with soap, bathing. Period. Drop all clothing and scrub. Nearest neighbors were four miles away, and we never met them.

If the rain stopped too soon, we just had one kid cranking the pump handle while the others rinsed off. Oh... and when we went a mile down the road to the Roeleff Jannsen Kill sp? (its a big creek) to go swimming... we always had soap with us.

Being a pedant, I could not let the spelling of "The Creek" be in limbo... so I looked it up. Roeliff Jansen Kill. So what? Well, by accident, I found a fargin picture of our swimming hole!!!! Himself learned to swim there during the War. Look close -- the water is crystal. Lotsa fishies.

And THEN, GOOD LORD!!! I found a picture of the CNE Railway cut. When my mother was a child, she used to walk the mile from the farm to the "station" -- which was just a small lean-to -- so she could get to watch the steam locomotive come chugging through.

Ignore the trees in the pic. They weren't there even when I was a kid. The train stopped running about 1925 or so, and the rails were all pulled up.

Jackson Corners had a state-issued cast iron sign that said, "Population 23". Miz Gaddis' general store and post office had a clear-glass gas pump across the road. The store had been a stagecoach stop back in the early 1700's.
Copake Falls and Lake Taconic , good fishing up that way. Dutchess county was south....rain storm showers in the summer.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Keep it simple - solar shower bag will do the trick. I used one when I camped in the mountains for a full summer - never lacked for hot water.

View attachment 106073
Those things, and I made a shower enclosure with a pallet and some 2x4's and a tarp. My original cabin had a hand pump well and no electricity for the first 4 years we had it. We used these things every day and if it wasn't sunny we just heated water on the propane stove and poured it in.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling

Loved your post Unca Walt. Thanks so much for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what state is this?

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I would just use my harems tongues.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Loved your post Unca Walt. Thanks so much for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what state is this?
It is mid-Hudson Valley in New York. VERY country. The road past our farm is now paved... when I was a kid, it was a double-rut trail.

To me, the memories spell Heaven. As kids, besides bringing soap to the creek, we would also bring pails to put the blackberries in. Aside from gorging on all the berries we wanted, we used them to make jam. All jam was in ordinary drinking glasses with wax poured on top of the jam to seal it.

Oh, shit. You got me started, JP.

We could effortlessly fill our buckets with blackberries in the mile-each-way walk. But I want to tell you about Miz Gaddis' General Store --

Miz Gaddis was huge and fat and very "country mommy" looking. She had one tooth on the bottom like Sgt Snorkel. Her store was about the size of a living room. We each got a nickel once a week... You could get a Rocky Road ice cream cone, or a Sarsaparilla soda. Your choice. The Sarsaparilla (root beer) soda came in conical-top cans. They looked like this (couldn't find a Sarsaparilla can pic):

I've been told by "knowledgeable" pedants that I must be in error: That type of can is an antique. Well, too fuckin' bad. So, apparently, am I... because I was the ONLY kid that loved sarsaparilla (pronounced "sassparilla". And I remember how I could hold the top of the can in my teeth and drink from it.

We useta make our own by pulling up young sassafras trees, washing the roots, then cutting them up and boiling them. Add some molasses, and bingo! Root Beer! The grownups would add some yeast from a yeast cake (common in those days) to make honest-to-Pete Root BEER. We were never allowed even to taste it.

Anyway, Miz Gaddis was something... umm... supernatural is my best description. When I took my wifelet to Jackson Corners (a "town" with ONE building) thirty years later... Miz Gaddis was still there, un-fucking-changed.

And the other thing I was able to show my darling: The telephone lines. They were strung from TREES. With Coke bottles. TINS. When Herself saw them, they were no longer in use, but were still there. We are talkin' country, Pilgrims.

Rocky Road ice cream was... ice cream to us. We did not know of other flavors at that time. Our farm was in our family for a coupla hunnert years. There was a sekrit hidey-hole to the right of the main room to hide from the Indians (TINS, pilgrims). It was at the base of a 1-foot wide staircase that led up to the grown-ups bedroom. A regular 3-foot wide staircase led to the upstairs in general.

Us kids had endless hours of fun talking in whispers to each other (upstairs to downstairs) through the original air-vents. The outhouse always had evil-looking wasps in it that stared at you. Montgomery Ward catalogue was the toilet paper. I hated that outhouse. If you sat down, the mosquitoes would come roaring up out of the hole you sat on. GAAAAHHH.

Way back in the woods, we had a balancing rock. It was a tad larger than a car, and we could easily rock it. Also, we found a 1920 Hupmobile skeleton (wooden-spoke wheels) that great grampa had left to join the earth again. Played all over it.

Each day, we would pick cucumbers, peppers, peas, onions, squash, and on lucky days -- corn -- from the garden. After dinner, on rotation for fairness, one kid would have the ohboy ohboy chore of feeding the hogs and the sheep. It was FUN. Hogs will eat absolutely anything. Corn cobs, watermelon rinds, whatever. And the sheep... lordy, that was fun! We were supposed to put a couple of grain-scoops of feed into the trough inside the barn... but the fun part was -- as you stepped in, the dumb-ass animated pillows would come racing through the narrow door to escape you.

And you could be stuck between two fluffy beasties trying to get past you on either side to escape being trapped inside. Good for a giggle every single time.

(*sigh*)

It was a time that can never come again. The farm was sold by my cousins. <-- I would have bought it, but there is no fargin way I could possibly have gotten even a down payment for the 360 acres and buildings.

One more thang (actually, I have about a thousand more thangs, but that has to be for another time):

Tiger lilies.

There were jillions of tiger lilies growing along the road. Us kids would be sent out to pick about two buckets full of tiger lily buds. They are drop-dead delicious when fried.

And we made our own soap.

Last edited:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just be prepared to wash them out with baking soda and water before use as per their instructions.
I presume its to get rid of the Durian and shrimp flavor.
I wasn't thinking much about drinking it but that seems to be a good suggestion

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Saul Mine

Seeker
Seeker
Improvised shower:

Ivory.jpg

My mother always carried a bar of Ivory soap when we travelled so anytime we crossed a canal we could stop and swim. Ivory soap floats, you know.

She also carried a collapsing cup and a set of colored plastic measuring spoons (in case she met a baby).