• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Fine Swiss Wristwatches

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Perhaps there are better "investments", but it is the weekend, so let's have some fun.

Anyone here a big fan of fine watches? It isn't the status symbol appeal for me as much as the amazing engineering, craftsmanship and artistry.

My favorite contemporary Swiss watches are made by Oris (www.oris.ch). Here are my top picks (I'd have one of each... but way out of my league!).

Oris Altimeter Rega Limited Edition - Oris Big .jpg
Oris Artelier Calibre 113 - Oris Artelier - Cul.jpg
Oris Artelier Date Diamonds - Oris Artelier - Cu.jpg
Oris BC3 Advanced, Day Date - Oris BC3 - Aviation.jpg
Oris Chronoris Date - Oris Chronoris - Motor Sport.jpg
Oris Divers Sixty-Five - Oris Divers - Diving - .jpg
Oris BC4 Small Second, Pointer Day - Oris BC4 - .jpg

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here are some other Swiss brands that have caught my eye. Some of these are in the more "affordable" range. All of them are automatics (self-winding -- most based on ETA calibers).

Alpina Startimer Pilot Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch AL-725B4S6 - Startimer .jpg
Frederique Constant Classics Index Automatic Men's Watch 303S5B6 - Classics - Fr.jpg
Hamilton Khaki Field Silver Dial Men's Watch H70455553 - Khaki Field - Hamilton .jpg
Hublot Classic Fusion Automatic Black Carbon Fiber Dial Black Rubber Men's Watch.jpg
Omega Speedmaster Racing Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch 32630405002001 - Spee.jpg
Tissot Carson Chronograph Automatic Men's Watch T0854271101100 - Carson - T-Clas.jpg

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I do appreciate nice watches on the one condition that they efficiently serve their primary function. That is to reliably give me accurate time at a glance. My eyes aren't as good as they once were but it amazes me how many fine watches fail in that most basic simple function.

The Breitling on the left is a moderately expensive traditional automatic that I bought maybe 15 years ago on a whim. I rarely wear it except for fancier social functions because, since I don't store it in a winder, it always needs reset. That and with my active, physical type of work I would hate to beat it up. More importantly it is difficult to read at a glance. But shake it a couple of times, set it, and it's off and running. I do like the look, heavy feel and appreciate the craftsmanship.
The Luminox on the right cost about 10% of what the Breitling did. Even though it is Swiss made electric, watch aficionados would probably scoff. That's ok- I wear it all the time, only taking it off when I shower. I have replaced the leather band probably 3 or 4 times already but otherwise, no complaints. It is easily read in any light or no-light condition. It glows green in the dark with an orange tube on the 12 to indicate the top. It comes with my highest recommendation. I love it.

IMG_4460[1].JPG

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I do appreciate nice watches on the one condition that they efficiently serve their primary function. That is to reliably give me accurate time at a glance. My eyes aren't as good as they once were but it amazes me how many fine watches fail in that most basic simple function.
COMPLETELY agree. Too many high-end watches have cluttered dials. I don't want to wear a watch that I can't read at a glance.

I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field Silver Dial (shown above) for a daily watch. At the price ($350) I wouldn't be too concerned about wear. I think a black band would dress it up and look more appropriate in a professional setting.

As a mechanical engineer I love finely tuned machines (automobiles, cameras, firearms, etc.), and for this reason automatics interest me and quarts movements really don't.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
"New" on the scene (20 years), Anonimo. I like what I see! Crown at 12? Cool. Easy to read dial in a simple and rugged masculine case. Hard to find in stock anywhere. Price is $2,800 firm. Can't find it cheaper anywhere.

Anonimo Watches - militare - auto-militare-vintage - Internet Explorer.jpg

Last edited:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here's a nice, easy to read, automatic that is priced affordably. Include sapphire crystal and window-back:

Glycine KMU Black Dial Automatic Men's Leather Watch GL0131 - KMU 48 - Glycine -.jpg

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Corum Admirals Cup Limited Edition Chronograph Men's Watch 96110194F371-AN12 - A.jpg
Wish I was tough enough to wear this! Not sure what wardrobe choices would work with it, but it is one tough-looking watch.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
This is classy. I like the range-finder motif and high-vis second hand. Very easy to read Arabic numerals. Price is right, too.

Raymond Weil Freelancer Black Dial Automatic Men's Watch 2754-SR-05200 - Freelan.jpg

Last edited:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Another attractive Raymond Weil. I like the exposed clockworks in lieu of a second hand. Gives the rhythm of movement.

Raymond Weil Freelancer Silver Dial Automatic Men's Watch 2780-STC-65001 - Freel.jpg

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I dare you to try to read this monstrosity from Citizen!

Citizen Navihawk A-T Eco Drive Black Dial Men's Watch JY8035-04E - Nighthawk A-T.jpg

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Have a Raymond Weil I picked up during the gulf storm. Had a cute glass back that showed off the movement. Dropped the thing on a carpeted floor and the hasp snapped back, breaking the glass. That was in 95, maybe it’s time to get it fixed.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I stick to my regular reliable Bulova watch, fine US made wristwatch. (I believe Citizen is the parent company.)
upload_2018-2-7_16-19-44.png

AguA

Seeker
Seeker

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
This one. I'm saving my pennies until I have the $900 needed to bring it home.

Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono black with brown leather strap. Valjous 7750 derived caliber.

hamilton-jazzmaster-auto-chronograph-men_s-watch-h32616533.jpg

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I was looking to throw some money at some kind of a hard asset last month and I was on a Rolex hunt, I as certain I would buy a his and hers pair but the more I looked into it the more I realized that it might not have the preserving power I was expecting. the fact that they could or could not keep accurate time turned me off to never look back, I was under the assumption of the saying “runs like a Swiss watch”

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Just recently started wearing a watch again. Been using a very old simple Timex that was laying around. Two days ago a friend spontaneously gave me a simple faced Kenneth Cole that looks good for casual/dressed up.

My "Swiss Army Watch" I bought at an airport (I'm thinking Chicago) of all places some years ago for $100. It's got a nice heft to it with a rugged simplicity that wears well from casual to semi formal. I used to only wear it for less active functions but this thread has inspired me to transition it to everyday use.

Tick on!
20180224_170247.jpg