• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Fireworks go on sale here today

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This year I'm really in the mood to drop some coin and blast off some explosives. Tents are up and they can start legally selling today. Going to get some canister artillery shells, some rockets and a few cakes to blow off some steam. Anyone else?

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
they banned those when too many people began to set too many wildfires that burned too many expensive homes...quite a few years ago here in the southland...

i remember hammering on the ends of Piccolo Pete's and when the finished piccoloing they exploded

:bomb 1:

good times

i'm envious again...

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
You can buy fireworks 365 in Florida. Best products are still chinese and available at the east exit off I-95 in St. Augustine. Mostly big bangs and rockets. Not like a palace you would see in SC, but everything you need nonetheless.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Neighbors here at the lake are “testing” their setup and it sounded like random dynamite explosions today. I don’t think the plan has all the bugs worked out.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A year or two ago I was traveling by plane and as we were touching down in whatever City it was, looking out the plane window was an incredible amount of patches fireworks going off throughout the area
It was such a neat bird's eye view that I may never see again.

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
A year or two ago I was traveling by plane and as we were touching down in whatever City it was, looking out the plane window was an incredible amount of patches fireworks going off throughout the area
It was such a neat bird's eye view that I may never see again.
That sounds cool NM.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That sounds cool NM.
It was pretty surreal.... Being at the height at which we all look like ants or toys down there and it being at night, with the lights of the streets and buildings and seeing all of these little groups of silent colorful squirts and bursts popping up here and there and everywhere through the city and towns below. It was actually very satisfying and positive.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
In many of the cities in Kentucky, firing off the good fireworks is technically illegal. BUT that doesn't stop anything as far as I can tell. Sounds like small battles in some places. It's fun.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In many of the cities in Kentucky, firing off the good fireworks is technically illegal. BUT that doesn't stop anything as far as I can tell. Sounds like small battles in some places. It's fun.
Breaks up the monotony and lightens up the mood as people blow off steam.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Always been that way in the Midwest. Fireworks were outlawed in Ohio since I was a little kid...they've loosened the law up, somewhat, last 20 years. But back then there was a flat-ban - even Party Poppers were illegal.

Didn't stop our Cleveland West Side neighbors. One well-heeled family, two doors down, would put on a mini-display from the patio roof. Sounds professional, but one of their exhibits was a skyrocket with a cherry bomb tied to its side. It went straight up, 100 feet, the cherry bomb blew off, the rocket veered 90 degrees and then buried itself in another neighbor's garage roof - where the salute went off, under a row of shingles. Miracle it didn't catch the asphalt shingles on fire.

Plenty of our neighbors went on vacation in places like Nevada, or Georgia, or Florida - where fireworks, including some serious explosives, were sold like candy. My parents...went on vacation in Gnu Yuck Shitte. The only thing to be said, vice-wise, about Gnu Yuck, was, liquor was cheaper to buy. Not a ringing endorsement from a nine-year-old kid's point of view.

Yeah, the hills are alive with the sound of Black Cats...here, everywhere, every year. But working 20-plus years on the railroad...I get gun shy. Explosions usually mean something bad's going down. Second locomotive diesel blew? Ethanol tank car back twenty cars? Did something come off the track...? Or is someone SHOOTING at us? (it has happened to train crews).

Or, if home, I'd be trying to sleep. Frequently during the day - no shift work on the railroad. So I'm trying to sleep while the neighbor's kids are lighting off Lady Fingers. Not a good rest experience.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This one always makes me chuckle...

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
This one always makes me chuckle...
Calls to mind the story going around about 20 years ago.

A "Hold-My-Beer" moment. A guy with more money than sense, buys a new SUV. He decides, this being winter, it would be great to take it ice fishing. They arrive, drinking...and moving the fishing shack over onto the lake, is more work than they allowed for. So...use the SUV to pull it over.

No worries, the ice is thick. The SUV is safe.

They go to cutting the ice. Too much WORK. They packed some explosives...they chop a pocket in the ice, light off a stick...and hear a roaring crack. Uh-oh...they're drunk, they have dynamite, but they're not STUPID or anything. That ice is weak.

Well, damn. The beer is good out here, too. Shame to just go back in - and anyway, we need to sober up.

Well, there's more dynamite. How about...we fasten a blasting cap to a stick, and throw it like we used to throw firecrackers?

HEY! Great idea!

Meantime...the dog is watching. There's a lot of unusual stuff going on, and he's feeling insecure and alone. He wants his routine, anything normal...

Wait. His human is pulling a stick out of the back of the car. He's gonna THROW it! Time for FETCH!

The dog runs after that "stick" - even though it's hissing and smelling funny.

He gets it, easy enough...and like he'd been taught to do, he runs right to his human with the stick in his mouth.

His human is freaking out! Running and yelling and throwing things at him...

Poor dog. He just has to go someplace to figure this out.

He slinks under the new SUV with his stick, to hide from the crazy humans and all the fuss.

The running-out of fuse, pretty-much finished that saga of stupid...

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
july 4 and new year look/sound like iraq shock and awe in my area of houston. incredible the increase over last 5ish years. cops have no chance at policing it

i recommend the tube/ball projectiles. a lot of bang for the buck

1592720584819.png

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
After years in "No fun New York", Florida rocks, my neighbors go nuts with mortars type stuff.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Ahh yes, fond memories of M-80’s, silver salutes, cherry bombs, and Roman candle fights......

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It was pretty surreal.... Being at the height at which we all look like ants or toys down there and it being at night, with the lights of the streets and buildings and seeing all of these little groups of silent colorful squirts and bursts popping up here and there and everywhere through the city and towns below. It was actually very satisfying and positive.
I'm sure that was pretty neat

I landed in Lubbock about 8pm one night and to land we descended right through a lightening storm. What looks white from the ground were all sorts of pinks, yellows and even green one time from electricity jumping from cloud to cloud.

Most unusual landing I ever went through. I'll never forget it.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
use tracers.....they're patriotic!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Other countries get the good stuff.... This is an amazing cake

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I can't watch that... It's two gross!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've got a Jake's Fireworks near me...I called today and they have the new 5" Excalibur shells as well as others. $75 for 24 of the regular and $150 for 24 shell package of the Platinum shells. They come with 4 hdpe mortar tubes.
Here's a demo/comparison of the most popular shells on the market.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Picked up an arsenal the other day. Got GROWLER & Excalibur canister dhells, some rockets and a few cakes/fountains. I had downloaded some coupons and saved fifty bucks cuz the lady was cool and scanned all the ones she could.

My buddy bought a bunch too and we're going to blast them all off at the lake.

I get a kick out of the size of the boxes they sell/display.

Attachments

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
lmao! local pd parked one of those solar powered camera trailers at the end of my street. guess they think they are going to stop the fireworks orgy we have every 4th. going to be interesting

been here for decades, never seen it before. it looks like this:

1593749096963.png