• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First Aid Kit

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I know this topic had been discussed before. Just using the search tool on my phone may have limited capabilities as the only keyword that appeared was the word first. Aid and kit we're disqualified. If anyone has a link to a thread, please share it or we can start a new one.

I got 52 stitches on my forehead last week from having a cancer cell removed using a process called Mohs surgery. Once the cancer was cut out, skin was pulled to close up the wound. Looks better than the big red dot that was right above my eyes that I was sporting for a year and a little longer. I had to go out and buy tape and nonstick pads to cover the docs work because even though I have two plastic boxes that are labeled First Aid, there isn't much but some gauze, tweezers, a few Band-Aids and some antibiotic cream.

What do ya keep around?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Damn, he really cut you. Mohs is a good way to go.
I had a 2 1/2 inch X 1/8 cut on my face, doc gave me polysporin, some gauze & tape, said to change it once a day. I went a step further & left it wide open after 5 days, covering it only at night, to keep from bumping it in my sleep. it healed perfect, with almost no scar. My personal thinking is that too much moisture can lead to slow healing & sometimes problems. Biggest thing is to keep it clean. BTW I had a total knee & a total hip replacement & I did just what I mentioned to you & I healed great. Just keep it dry & clean. Good luck.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Only thing I want to know is, when you had Moh’s surgery, did Larry and Curly assist?...

Sorry man, I just had to ask. Glad you got that taken care of.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Damn, he really cut you. Mohs is a good way to go.
I had a 2 1/2 inch X 1/8 cut on my face, doc gave me polysporin, some gauze & tape, said to change it once a day. I went a step further & left it wide open after 5 days, covering it only at night, to keep from bumping it in my sleep. it healed perfect, with almost no scar. My personal thinking is that too much moisture can lead to slow healing & sometimes problems. Biggest thing is to keep it clean. BTW I had a total knee & a total hip replacement & I did just what I mentioned to you & I healed great. Just keep it dry & clean. Good luck.
Like you, I keep it covered for a few days. And I left it open after that but was told to not let it dry so I've been putting vaseline on it until i get the stitches out. Other than black eyes in the morning from sleeping on my stomach, no issues.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
There was a serious question in the OP.

I keep a real First Aid kit. It has GI-compresses, stitching equipment, the usual gauze squares and stuff, ampoules (these will awaken the fargin dead), tourniquets, antibiotics, alcohol swabs and splint stuff.

Folks... I really, REALLY recommend each and every one of you to go out and gather up the things you will need RIGHT NOW if you have a serious helmet ding.

You will spend less than fifty bucks, and have a life-saving kit.

Can I ask y'all to do this?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
There was a serious question in the OP. ....Can I ask y'all to do this?
Good point. Sorry for the silliness. I am a fairly well prepped individual. I have all the bases covered pretty good, actually and feel somewhat content in my preparations. This is one area I am lacking in, though and just recently was reminded of that fact. I have a bit of medical/ first aid stuff stored up, as well as some decent manuals, but really do need to fill in all the gaps. Thanks to HH and UW for the nudge.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have a bit of medical/ first aid stuff stored up, as well as some decent manuals, but really do need to fill in all the gaps. Thanks to HH and UW for the nudge.
That's about where I am at. Here is a list of my books/manuals. Everyone kick in & add theirs to the list & we should have a nice medical/survival library.

PDR (Physicians Desk Ref.)
Grant's Method of Anatomy - Grant
Anatomy in Surgery - Thorek
Bunnell's Surgery of THE HAND - Boyes
DITCH MEDICINE - Coffee
Synopsis of PATHOLOGY - Anderson
Treatment of Burns - Artz/Reiss
Emergency Room Care - Eckert
SURVIVAL - Janowsky
Survival - FM 21-76 DEPT. of the Army

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Like you, I keep it covered for a few days. And I left it open after that but was told to not let it dry so I've been putting vaseline on it until i get the stitches out. Other than black eyes in the morning from sleeping on my stomach, no issues.
I'm a big fan of neosporin. Has good stuff your healing skins craves.

My mom is constantly getting medical supplies donated for her Licensed Rehab-ing and I'll occasionally get some stacks of large gauze bandages and high end bandaids. My lifestyle tends to rips me open on the regular.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
That's about where I am at. Here is a list of my books/manuals. Everyone kick in & add theirs to the list & we should have a nice medical/survival library.

PDR (Physicians Desk Ref.)
Grant's Method of Anatomy - Grant
Anatomy in Surgery - Thorek
Bunnell's Surgery of THE HAND - Boyes
DITCH MEDICINE - Coffee
Synopsis of PATHOLOGY - Anderson
Treatment of Burns - Artz/Reiss
Emergency Room Care - Eckert
SURVIVAL - Janowsky
Survival - FM 21-76 DEPT. of the Army
Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks TAEZZAR. Supplies will not do much good with out knowing how and where to use them.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of neosporin. Has good stuff your healing skins craves.

My mom is constantly getting medical supplies donated for her Licensed Rehab-ing and I'll occasionally get some stacks of large gauze bandages and high end bandaids. My lifestyle tends to rips me open on the regular.
Neosporin is usually with me. That and icathol (sp) ointment for when you can't get the piece dislodged.

I usually hurt myself. Got stung on the hand, went to swat the bee, while holding an open razor knife. Sliced my index finger. Seeing as how I had just pulled out a kitchen window frame above a flat roof, there was no waiting til another day. Home owner gave me a band aid. By the time the new window was installed, my hand was like a balloon. Lady I was doing work for said, "You are tough". I told her it is either that or I'm stoopid.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Neosporin is usually with me. That and icathol (sp) ointment for when you can't get the piece dislodged.

I usually hurt myself. Got stung on the hand, went to swat the bee, while holding an open razor knife. Sliced my index finger. Seeing as how I had just pulled out a kitchen window frame above a flat roof, there was no waiting til another day. Home owner gave me a band aid. By the time the new window was installed, my hand was like a balloon. Lady I was doing work for said, "You are tough". I told her it is either that or I'm stoopid.
When I was digging the holes to pour the crete piers I posted in the WMT I was scooping out dirt from the hole with my bare hand and hit a piece of flint that tore my finger open pretty good to the point of dripping. I usually use a few bandaids and some form of tape while on the job else it just comes right off from sweat or use.

The utility knife is by FAR the most dangerous tool in my arsenal. I'd stupidly sliced deeply into my fingers several times last year. Second most dangerous tool would be my hammer. Those two have done more damage to me than all my other tools combined.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The utility knife is by FAR the most dangerous tool in my arsenal. I'd stupidly sliced deeply into my fingers several times last year. Second most dangerous tool would be my hammer. Those two have done more damage to me than all my other tools combined.
Misty, have you looked into your brain function & co-ordination ?
I remember, many years ago, the gov., in all their collective wisdom, put a warning label on hammers. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was on the order of " This striking tool is dangerous, read the cautions before using" !
:gracious:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The many uses of duct tape.
Useful for almost anything... except taping ducts!

One of the best tapes I've found which is basically thick flexible skin on a roll is this: https://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Flex...HOV0?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&psc=1

It's pricey but I've had a couple injuries where this was the only thing that worked at keeing things covered while remaining flexible. It's really nice stuff. The Dollar General has the best price around here.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Misty, have you looked into your brain function & co-ordination ?
I remember, many years ago, the gov., in all their collective wisdom, put a warning label on hammers. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was on the order of " This striking tool is dangerous, read the cautions before using" !
:gracious:
Boy have I! :p Being a drummer I have pretty darn good co-ordination but sometimes the brain that drives it gets in a rush and reminds me to SLOW DOWN!