• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Flooding Continues.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We are not seeing flooding in my area...but we got 3 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks of January, 4 inches in February, 5 inches in March, 7 in April, already 1 in 6 days into May with rain forecasted every day this week..couple that with cooler than normal temps....everything is soaked...there has yet to be a tractor in any field...most yards have not be mowed.

It's flooding down in Texas.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Have yet to see a tractor in field as of may 10th. Got 1/2 inch of rain yesterday on ground that is already to wet to plant.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wettest year on record for the United States.
How many millions of tons of good topsoil lost?
And how many tons of ferts, herbicides and pesticides washed into our rivers, lakes and estuaries?
Agroforestry would do a lot to protect against flooding and loss of soil fertility.
Carbon & fungus rich topsoils soak in water and hold it like a cellulose sponge.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We have more soil moisture in southern colorado then we have ever had. Luckily, we havent had any flooding, however there is talk that la Junta may have flooding this year during spring runoff. There is enough moisture in the ground to make a good wheat crop, and milo crop as well. Hasnt been this wet since the blizzard of 06-07. This wet winter weve had will be a boon for southern colorado. No more drought for now at least.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Very rare to get any rain in SoCal this time of year, but it's been raining about a couple of days a week since January.
Thunderstorms too.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
How do we create those?
The short answer is stop plowing.

The long answer is the subject of endless discussions on permaculture and regenerative agriculture.

On a backyard scale, one of the fastest ways is find an arborist willing to dump woodchips at your place and spread em a foot deep. You can knock em up with fungi, but with any rain at all the fungi will move in soon enough.

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The short answer is stop plowing.

The long answer is the subject of endless discussions on permaculture and regenerative agriculture.

On a backyard scale, one of the fastest ways is find an arborist willing to dump woodchips at your place and spread em a foot deep. You can knock em up with fungi, but with any rain at all the fungi will move in soon enough.
Woodchips will soak up the available nitrogen. You need a good dose of manure with that to break it down.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Hate to hear of floods or any other weather disaster. Where I am the farmers are seeding deep trying to find moisture to germinate the seeds. In BC where they had bad flooding last year they now have fires cause it is so dry[and I'm assuming an abundance of under growth due to the wet last year]. Wish you all the best.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Had 5 good days of decent weather with good temps and sun for drying...surface was doing pretty good....then we got over an inch of rain this weekend. Projected to be sunny and dry with temps in upper 70s for next week...but storms projected towards the end of the 10 day forcast....here's hoping the weather crews are wrong again!

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Woodchips will soak up the available nitrogen. You need a good dose of manure with that to break it down.
Good point. Manure will nudge it in the direction of bacterial culture.

As long as there's water and carbon, fungi will break that down, but not as fast as adding nitrogen.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
On a backyard scale, one of the fastest ways is find an arborist willing to dump woodchips at your place and spread em a foot deep.
How practical wood that be for most people?
...and woodn't that attract termites?

but not as fast as adding nitrogen.
Like ammonium nitrate?

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Its amazing all these endtimes prophesies start to come into focus...

Jesus did say that there would be famines in various places - along with earthquakes (shale drilling?), wars and rumors of wars, etc...

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Anybody have any reports of acreage planted so far? What sort of hit to farm production is expected for the year?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
A google search of 'planted acres 2019' will answer any questions you might have.

In all honesty, some areas will win, and some will lose. Its noone's fault, thats just how it is, with a large continental country, and continental weather. Whereas farmers in the wetter areas might fair poorly, those on the fringes will do very well with the increased moisture. There is much of last years grain, stockpiled,not damaged, ready to go to market. Last fall the USDA called the stockpile 'historic' in scale.

Of course speculaters will jump on bad ag news, its the nature of the game.

The cost of grain and meat will go up. Maybe we will have some price discovery. I hope so. Anybody who can grow a sizeable garden or finish a fat animal or two, or raise a bunch of meat chickens will more than offset the price gains, if they do the work.

We can help by providing food out here in ag country, but we cant come to your house and hold your hand or wipe your ass. I hope wheat goes to 7 frn a bushel again. Mine looks real fine, it ought to make 65 bu/a.

Noone is going to starve, thats just some mike schneider bullshit. Historically, the US consumer pays a relatively small amount for food compared to total income, as opposed to the rest of the world, I doubt that will change much on the grand scale of things.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The winter wheat fields look like a bumper crop with the consistent rain. The farmers growing summer corn/soy/oats/other are hurting. I've only seen a couple fields that have been plowed and seeded out of dozens more that are unplantable as of now. We've received a good amount of rain that has led to some flooding; but the consistent small rain events every 2-3 days have been the issue that keeps the soils saturated and too wet to get a tractor and disk/seeder into the fields. Good luck out there farmers.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Anybody have any reports of acreage planted so far? What sort of hit to farm production is expected for the year?
I was listening to a farm report on WOWO for Indiana corn earlier this week....it said right at 10% compared to +90% this time last year.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I just talked to my seed guy on the phone, I had to order some milo seed. We were discussing the wet weather. He told me the 90 day gmo corn can be planted up until june 20 and still make a crop. Cows gotta eat you know.........

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just talked to my seed guy on the phone, I had to order some milo seed. We were discussing the wet weather. He told me the 90 day gmo corn can be planted up until june 20 and still make a crop. Cows gotta eat you know.........
And I am seeing 50% chance of rain and storms over next 10 days

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
So, not to be crass, but how does one invest in this tragedy and make money?
I'm sure there will be farmers doing the same - if they haven't already.
Tickers?