• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Fort Worth police officer kills woman inside her own home, officials say

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
A Fort Worth police officer shot and killed a woman inside her own home early Saturday while responding to a call, officials said.

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article...iNeJzZiDqIjLED0wOa_nZdBWQ98XJQu5swF2bgXv8bZVI

Video at the webpage

Body-camera footage shows the officer standing outside the front door of the home before walking around the side of the house and opening a gate to the backyard. The officer was in the backyard when he turned toward the window and shouted.

"Put your hands up. Show me your hands!" the officer yelled before firing once through the window, the bodycam footage shows.

Officials said the officer shot through the window "perceiving a threat."

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, was killed in a bedroom, according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office.

Jefferson was black. Fort Worth police officials have not released the officer's name but say he is white.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave. He has been on the Fort Worth Police Department since April 2018, officials said.

James Smith said he called the non-emergency police number to request a welfare check at his neighbor's house. He said he saw the lights on and the front door open.

Bodycam footage shows a screen door closed but the front door open at the house. The lights were on inside. The officer did not appear to knock and could not be heard announcing himself at the doorway.

Smith said he didn't understand the officer's response.

"I called my police department for a welfare check. No domestic violence, no arguing, nothing that they should have been concerned about as far as them coming with guns drawn to my neighbor’s house," Smith said.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Sure is something about cops in Texas shooting people in their own homes? Trigger happy, I would guess.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Sure is something about cops in Texas shooting people in their own homes? Trigger happy, I would guess.
The video makes me sick.

Freeze! POW! No time to react, shot dead in your own home instead of the cop just knocking on the door.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Officials said the officer shot through the window "perceiving a threat."
The whole thing comes down to this vague statement. A threat to whom? By whom? What sort of threat? Clearly there was no gun found, or the cops would've been falling all over themselves to point that out. Did she have scissors? ...a kitchen knife? WHY FIRE? Where was the urgency?

The violent costumed thug, couldn't be bothered to knock or behave as though he was at someone else's home, but instead begins casing the joint? Then murders someone by firing through a window? What is going through this guy's head? The neighbor said he was just worried about his neighbor's welfare, there was no implied criminal activity, but this cop goes in like he's walking into a bank hold-up. Weird.

Edit: So in the video allegedly from the murderer's...er I mean the cop's body cam, they added a couple stills allegedly of weapons found in the victim's er...I mean the perp's home. I've seen no allegation that said weapons were actually being wielded at the time however. Not much could be discerned from the video at the point the shot(s) were fired...at least by my eyes. Here's a single frame captured around the time people started dying.
1570920500167.png

Forced to speculate, I'd say it looks like a woman in a yellow dress. Who knows what the cop thinks he saw though. Shining flashlights into people's windows at night isn't much of a plan...and can obviously end badly.
Freeze! POW! No time to react, shot dead in your own home instead of the cop just knocking on the door.
That's really the problem. Dude was standing RIGHT at the door and had backup. Why not simply knock and see if/who responds and how? Why the need to sneak around like a common crook?

According to this, the deceased was playing video games with her 8yo nephew, heard a noise in the backyard and went to investigate.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/10/atatiana-jefferson/
According to her Facebook page (which was last updated publicly in 2018), Atatiana Jefferson worked at Xavier University of Louisiana, where she also studio biology and majored in chemistry.

In 2014, she shared a petition on her page and wrote: “When you do the crime you do the time. Crimes cannot go unpunished no matter what they are. It makes a mockery of the U.S justice system if people feel comfortable enough to commit crimes. Whether this was his normal behavior or not, he should still be dealt with like any other person in that situation. If I speed I will get a ticket. I may not normally speed but that doesn’t change the fact that I have a ticket. Unless this man has a mental illness or a massive brain tumor that impaired his judgement he needs to be properly dealt with.”
Sure would've been nice if the cops would've just acted like cops instead of cat burglers.

Last edited:

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here in Massachusetts, if I shoot an intruder who has not yet entered my home I can be charged with murder. But a cop can shoot someone in their own home from the outside if they perceive a threat. Seems fair...
No no...he's on administrative leave, so obviously he's being punished...with a paid vacation.

I suspect this particular pig will eventually be fired, but is unlikely to face charges. Would love to be wrong. If/when he is eventually fired, it'll be for failing to follow procedure, not for being a trigger happy murderous dirtbag.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
No no...he's on administrative leave, so obviously he's being punished...with a paid vacation.

I suspect this particular pig will eventually be fired, but is unlikely to face charges. Would love to be wrong. If/when he is eventually fired, it'll be for failing to follow procedure, not for being a trigger happy murderous dirtbag.
Then he'll get another job as a LEO somewhere else.

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
There is something different in the mindset of the cops these days, I'm sure it's a result of their training, it seems they all come out of it terrified of your average citizen, convinced that we are all out to get them.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
There is something different in the mindset of the cops these days, I'm sure it's a result of their training, it seems they all come out of it terrified of your average citizen, convinced that we are all out to get them.
Soon we may be.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
It's an us vs them mindset. Hey, it's a warzone out there!

This is also the difference between a peace officer and a LEO. If the intent was to ensure peace in the neighborhood, then knock on the damn door and make sure the woman is alright. If the intent is to enforce some dubious "laws" then yeah...sneak around on the property like a criminal and hope to catch people doing something they're not supposed to be doing.

If dummy had put himself in the homeowner's shoes for 2 seconds, it'd likely have occurred to him that sneaking around and peaking in windows at night could be misconstrued as a threat. No doubt if this cop, whose name is still unknown, were at home and saw someone sneaking around in his own back yard he'd be making a beeline for a weapon.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I blame the asshat that called the police. If he was so concerned, why didn't he just knock on the door.
I don't. I blame a trigger happy idiot cop.

Here's an interview with the neighbor. No, he doesn't sound like a genius, but it also sounds like he didn't do anything wrong. He dialed a non-emergency number and just asked some, so called public servants, to check on the woman. He seemingly had no idea why they showed up looking for trouble, though I get a sense it wasn't the safest neighborhood in America.

https://twitter.com/cgreeneWFAA

I'm sure in retrospect he wishes he'd just checked in on her himself, but he's an older guy and who knows what was going on at that particular time. The cops should've just knocked on the door and then determined how best to proceed, but for some reason that didn't happen.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The cops should've just knocked on the door and then determined how best to proceed, but for some reason that didn't happen.
welfare checks happen thousands of times a year and this doesn't happen, sometimes, odds would give, they saved a life, other times they found a cold body before it began to rot - yuck

It Happens Once, Twice, Three Times A Problem, yes, I'd agree, but, how many Mexican Babies die in 5 gallon tubs?

992 people were shot and killed by the police in 2018...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/police-shootings-2018/
Easy to use site

How many shooting victims could possibly be innocent? WE know of at least two, from the latest news, one just found guilty, this one should be too...how many will see this as a learning moment?...this one city probably will

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I blame a trigger happy idiot cop.

He should get the same punishment that the female cop, who shot the man in his own apt. got.
Murder !

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If a non-emergency phone call to the police is a valid way to bump off your neighbor, then we need some politicians to protect us from "phone violence". Blaming the guy that called the police, or the phone he used is silly. Even had he illegally phoned in a fictitious crime on an emergency number, still I wouldn't blame him for the death of Jefferson, though I would be fine with him facing charges for the phone call itself.

Blaming Smith(the neighbor) for the shooting is akin to absolving the cops 100% of their own actions. He didn't tell officer no-name to yank his service pistol and fire into a closed window at an unarmed woman. Neither did he tell the cops to sneak around the back of the house and fail to announce themselves. She's dead because of how they responded to the call. The cop in question was apparently hired by the Fort Worth police in 2018. Whether that means he's not very experienced or that he was a castaway from another department, they haven't said, but to my mind the fault lies with his poor decision making.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I don't. I blame a trigger happy idiot cop.

Here's an interview with the neighbor. No, he doesn't sound like a genius, but it also sounds like he didn't do anything wrong. He dialed a non-emergency number and just asked some, so called public servants, to check on the woman. He seemingly had no idea why they showed up looking for trouble, though I get a sense it wasn't the safest neighborhood in America.

https://twitter.com/cgreeneWFAA

I'm sure in retrospect he wishes he'd just checked in on her himself, but he's an older guy and who knows what was going on at that particular time. The cops should've just knocked on the door and then determined how best to proceed, but for some reason that didn't happen.

After reading this and watching the video I retract my post. I was the asshat to blame this guy.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
This has been this way (cops and prosecutors out of control) for a second decade now, where I live.

If you have a medical emergency, you call your neighbor to take you to the hospital. If you have a fire, you hope you can put it out. If someone is committing a crime, cops don't bother if it is a misdemeanor. You don't want to call 911.

Only way that sort of works around here, is some MSM exposure to expose what the cops are doing. Helps somewhat.

Cops where I live have an attitude.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Cops where I live in America have an attitude.
Fixed.

They're LEOs and not peace officers. Probably a whole lot of them join "the force" with noble intentions. They think they'll be helping people, only to find out they're essentially alternative taxation officers and their real employers are effectively big insurance.

Derp derp...yer not wearing your seatbelt sir...gonna have to ticket you.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Pretty much all the official sources have said about the murderous cop is that he's white and that he's not been with the Fort Worth police for long. Seemed real important that everyone knew his race quickly, though as I recall you could see him a bit in the released bodycam footage.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
He is charged with murder.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fort-w...ng-atatiana-jefferson-in-her-home-2019-10-14/

At a news conference on Monday, police chief Edwin Kraus announced that Dean had resigned and apologized for Jefferson's death. Kraus said he intended to fire the officer Monday for violations of the department's use of force and de-escalation policies.

"Nobody looked at that video and said there's any doubt this officer acted inappropriately," Kraus said. "I get it. We're trying to train our officers better, we're trying to shore up our policies, trying to ensure they act and react the way the citizens intend them to - that they act and react with a servant's heart, instead of a warrior's heart."

Hopefully something good comes of this but I think that our archaic laws and the fact that the police are used as revenue collectors naturally puts the poor against the police.

Last edited: