• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Fully self reliant in Thailand

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I’m in Thailand visiting in laws for 3 months and am getting a first hand look at their lifestyle. Their household is 3 people, the mother and father in law and brother in law with a monthly income of no more than $200 usd. They have a big farm and grow their own rice, fish, frogs, shrimp, crab, snails, mango, bananas, papaya, ginger, garlic, onions and a slew of other vegetables and herbs. They sell bananas and rice as part of their income and live very comfortably, my wife’s father bets on muai Thai boxing every weekend and chicken fights during the week and does really well, bringing home $10 on a good day. It’s good to know I have a self sufficient place to go If and when there’s anarchy in the states, couple of shots of my brother in law and step son fishing the rice patties and todays banana haul that yielded $8 usd.

We built this house for them that’s a 3/2 main house with a 1 bedroom in laws quarters that has its own bathroom and kitchen and a huge open air kitchen/living room for $80k usd, it got appraised for $125k

Id like to live here some day

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
What part of Thailand is this? My son's in-laws are in the Northern area, we all visited there a few years ago, fact is, I posted about it here on this forum. I did a search for my Thailand thread and it came back that I didn't have a way to access it anymore, so it's lost in the past somewhere.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I’m in the north too, phetchabun province, south of Chiangmai

Hystckndle

CONFORMADAPTKICKSOMEASS!!!
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Hey 97,
Haystack here.
Very, very, very cool information. Fantastic.
I have a neighbor across the street, just turned 66 he did,
He is due back anyday from visiting his mom and brother there.
He is wanting to move there.
But his wife, from here, is dragging feet.
Looks pretty nice to me.
Please post some more intel.
Regards,

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Thanks for the info; I'm getting tired of the Thai boy rescue story.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Father in law came back from the farm today with a bee hive full of honey and some baby snake head fish

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You never said if VC control the vill? Remember, Charlie don't surf!

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The father in law is anti government, he is a red shirt and the whole family participated in the riots in the early 2000’s, he’s been jailed for something but the great thing is that he a close friend of the Boss of the village who is the opposition, yellow shirt(government)

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There’s beef but it’s costly compared to other meats, they are big on fish and seafood, I’m a porkaholic and I’m in hog heaven, prices are cheap for pork, my favorite are pork cracklings

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Pork is a favorite for me too. The fruit is outrageous there as well im sure. I could do the shrimps and crabs as well, little fishes not so much. Please post pics of their gardens if you get a chance.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Pork is a favorite for me too. The fruit is outrageous there as well im sure. I could do the shrimps and crabs as well, little fishes not so much. Please post pics of their gardens if you get a chance.

I don’t eat those fish either but I’ve tried the full grown snake heads and they’re alright, not sure when I’ll get back to the farm, it’s really hot there and I got hammered by mosquitoes

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

My father in law gives food to monks every morning, they believe it brings good luck and that he will have food in his afterlife, thailand is one of the most superstitious countries I’ve ever visited

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My father in law gives food to monks every morning, they believe it brings good luck and that he will have food in his afterlife, thailand is one of the most superstitious countries I’ve ever visited
The idea of luck is silly, but maybe this is just a twisted idea of karma. Food in the "afterlife"? Well, if we come back here for another round, of course we will need food. In the spirit world, no. On a practical level, if I had a monk (or anyone) at my driveway asking for food daily, I would readily give him good leftovers. I might even cook extra rice just for the monks. Food is cheap, and I would be glad to cook more to give to someone who is hungry. Aside from the cheap rice, I recently bought chicken quarters for 65 cents a pound and ham for $1.21 / pound. Potatoes are often very cheap.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Some kind of chant/prayer/blessing I’m guessing

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Haven’t gotten to the farm for pics yet but FIL brought home these duck eggs, he bartered 2 bottles of honey for 30 eggs, gonna be my first time trying duck eggs

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Went to the farm this afternoon, a couple of the wife’s cousins set a fish net and caught a few small fish, I thought they would set it and draw it in to catch the fish but they just set it and let the fish swim into it, the haul wasn’t huge, the pond is around 60x60 and gets around 8 foot deep in the middle. Also some shots of my brother in laws banana grove, mango trees and rice field

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I’m guessing he has at least 1000 banana trees and a couple dozen mango and papaya trees, the kids were looking for food too

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We had those shad fish or whatever they were for dinner, the cousin fried them to a crisp and we ate the bones and all, they were really good. I’ve seen at least 6 different fish come of of that pond so far

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Awesome thread - thx for sharing

I wish I had the nerve and health to opt out of the insanity and go for the natural life

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Duck eggs are fine. Best to boil them though. They can get rubbery when you fry them. Interesting thread.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I had a fried duck egg, taste didn’t impress me but the yolk looked a lot oranger and richer than a chicken egg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks for the thread.
Ever get any beef type food there?

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I’ve eaten beef one time while here, prices are much higher than all other proteins

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
That farm is pretty impressive. I wish I had fruit like that on my place. How the heck would a guy control weeds in there? Id be afraid to walk thru it, get snake bit..........

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
On a side note... I brought my blood pressure machine with me and checked everyone’s blood pressure and they were all under 120/80, mom and dad are both in their mid/late 60’s and have never taken BP meds, I’m thinking their diet is keeping it in check, our American diets are a perfect storm for high blood pressure

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
my first time trying duck eggs
I had duck eggs once.

Super strong ‘egg’ taste - like chicken eggs on steroids.

Won’t be in a hurry to eat them again!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
People here like duck eggs for baking. For some reason they are better than chicken eggs. I dont know anything about it really.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I didn’t get that super eggy taste, my dad had always raved about duck eggs so I was pretty excited to try it but I’ll opt for chicken next time

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We eat eggs from pretty much all birds and enjoy them all.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Part of my FIL self reliance is betting on Thai boxing every weekend, around 20 or 30 village guys huddled around a tiny 15” tv, this is about all the entertainment they have

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Bump. Was looking to see if there was a thread for a topic I have not heard about recently even though I know it had been discussed before, and this caught my eye.

97, hope u had a great trip. Must had been great being with family. Did u come back stateside yet?

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yep, I’ve been back for 3 months now, the wife is already starting to accumulate stuff to take back when we go in 2020