• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Generic dewalt (etc) batteries.

TonyG

Formerly Agg
Reaction score
Looking for others experience on the various replacement batteries for particularly the DeWalt trade name which likely includes Black & Decker.

There are multitudes of these on Amazon and eBay and even some that have legitimate websites. Ovonic is one such battery maker who apparently specialize in RC car batteries.

The capacities are between 3.6 and maxing out at about 4.0 for nickel metal hydride.

Just wondering what others experiences are with these less expensive but higher capacity batteries, especially their strength and longevity.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
A little off topic, but not much
Well the idiot cannot even pronounce Bosch. There is NO R In Borsch !!!
I just bought the Makita dual 18 volt system for a chain saw, skill saw, sawzall, & 2 drills.
I am impressed. The batteries are PRICEY !!! So far they are great. Milwaukie is also great.
MAKITA BEST.png

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
battery adapters and 20v packs of lithium batteries, along with new chargers, fraction of the cost of replacement NiCads, they work awesome

you tube has videos and amazon and ebay have sellers hawking the stuff...

one guy adapted one battery pack to work on several different manufacturers equipment with these adapters and packs

i didn't have to toss out my old BD equipment, i use adapters and the new packs and will replace the equipment when it wears out (18v original toold work fine on 20v battery packs)

i've added two new tools since, one is a Porter grinder, to my group (i busted out one tang on the tool and the 20V battery (designed for the BD) fit very well (same manufacturer as BD, very similar battery compartment design)

i have some larger capacity batteries too, the grinder works better with the additional run time

i did some homework and dove in with a few pieces first, mostly to find a good supplier for the rest of the set i would needed - 5 battery packs, one 'quick charger' one overnight charger and 5 adapters

this should last longer than me...it's been over a year and there is no indication of any loss from any of the battery packs and the dealers are great to message with, read dealer reviews and buy from inside the US...a US located dealer will be best for this investment

GL if this is what you're looking for

if not

GL anyways

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Won't this work?

20180503_110233_resized (1).jpg

I've got a brother that loves to just tinker with stuff, particularly anything rescued from the trash . This drill is a good example. Not only did he cobble the battery pack onto the drill but he had already disassembled the battery pack and replaced the individual defective cells- all that for a pack that doesn't even fit... He will dick around, scavenging, rigging or making a widget all day long, but if he'd managed to save a buck he's good with that. Back in the day he used to take those old disposable cardboard cameras apart, process the film and refit them with a fresh roll to use again- even though he probably had a dozen high quality cameras. He's very clever, but geez... Hangs out at Instructables.com.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Golden Regards
Uncle

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I've had battery powered tools for decades... But a new replacement battery costs more than a "corded" tool!!!

So, since I don't use them often, I've got boxes of battery-powered power tools without batteries that work.

What I'd like is a supplier of "corded battery-shaped adapters for battery-powered tools"... Plug into the 110/220v outlet, problem solved.

That would bring my whole line of Ryobi back to life...

I bet that an enterprising individual could make a fortune (as long as he has lawyers against "patent infringement")....

TonyG

Formerly Agg
Reaction score
I've had battery powered tools for decades... But a new replacement battery costs more than a "corded" tool!!!

So, since I don't use them often, I've got boxes of battery-powered power tools without batteries that work.

What I'd like is a supplier of "corded battery-shaped adapters for battery-powered tools"... Plug into the 110/220v outlet, problem solved.

I bet that an enterprising individual could make a fortune (as long as he has lawyers against "patent infringement")....
Along the same lines I often thought that if I could clip my 14 volt dewalt onto a car/truck battery it would solve a lot of problems, especially if it would operate when the truck was running.

So a 12 volt to 12 volt and a 12 volt to 14 volt and a 12 volt to 18 volt converters would be desirable too. Imagine taking the car battery out to the job site where your cutting off the board ends with a 6 and 1/2 in battery powered saw.

TonyG

Formerly Agg
Reaction score
Here's an example of the upgraded generic replacement batteries for DeWalt in this case.

Anyone have experience in this type of thing?

TonyG

Formerly Agg
Reaction score
battery adapters and 20v packs of lithium batteries, along with new chargers, fraction of the cost of replacement NiCads, they work awesome

you tube has videos and amazon and ebay have sellers hawking the stuff...

one guy adapted one battery pack to work on several different manufacturers equipment with these adapters and packs

i didn't have to toss out my old BD equipment, i use adapters and the new packs and will replace the equipment when it wears out (18v original toold work fine on 20v battery packs)

i've added two new tools since, one is a Porter grinder, to my group (i busted out one tang on the tool and the 20V battery (designed for the BD) fit very well (same manufacturer as BD, very similar battery compartment design)

i have some larger capacity batteries too, the grinder works better with the additional run time

i did some homework and dove in with a few pieces first, mostly to find a good supplier for the rest of the set i would needed - 5 battery packs, one 'quick charger' one overnight charger and 5 adapters

this should last longer than me...it's been over a year and there is no indication of any loss from any of the battery packs and the dealers are great to message with, read dealer reviews and buy from inside the US...a US located dealer will be best for this investment

GL if this is what you're looking for

if not

GL anyways
This is what you're referring to.

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
exactly, my BD adapter looked like this:

i don't use my BD battery tools for anything but light to moderate home use, i've got corded tools to use when i've neglected a hedge for too long, but the battery stuff works great and the after market lithium battery packs work so much better than the original NiCads ever did...

again, i wasn't a 'firm believer' so i bought a few pieces, low budget charger, one adapter and one battery pack...after one use, i was hooked and bought enough batteries to last longer than the tools will...but i'll just replace them as they break, update them to the newer models, maybe even go shopping on ebay to buy some good used 18v tools (they're built a lot heavier duty than the newest crap)

lol, i'm even running my 12v drills on the 20v packs...talk about torque (the motor gets a bit hot but, i have to burn them out somehow)

for those who don't want to replace your entire NiCad-battery-powered-tool-inventory, look into an adapter and new school batteries

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
o.k., my latest purchases:

1655874312902.png

and
1655874354442.png

at the first part of June, they released a set of 5 'Maker' tools and i bought these two because it seems the other three aren't available anywhere near me and these two were difficult to locate near me...

but, i can't use either of them until my adapters, which will allow my BD batteries to power these tools, arrive directly from China

these looked too cool to leave on the shelf and i'll use 'em as much as i do my beloved Bauer glue gun that also runs off of my BD batteries, that's one of my favorite tools...

i've also made a smaller blow-off tool and a water pump that both use my battery set, i made those with a couple of 'hot wheels' (they're called) adapters i bought from on-line

right now, 20v is Great but i'm suspecting some chips or some coding will cause this cross-use to end someday...but for now, i'm setting up with enough crap that should get me through till i'm dead and long gone

all of it usable...

:summer:

. . . on a side note . . .

something's seriously wrong with our production / transportation supply

when new tools come out and the distributors run out before the initial thirty day window of promotion expires, and i've not seen any of these new tools being promoted...either they didn't produce enough or they couldn't ship enough of them ?

these aren't top level tools, and i don't know anyone in the hobby industry who even knows they exist except for the 'professional' tool guys who've done a review on at least the rotary tool (he wasn't that professional...)

(the one i saw was funny, the guy was trying it out for the first time and didn't have that rheostat turned up, he was drilling holes at slow speed, he even stalled the tool, yep, and when he figured it out and turned up that rheostate, the tool jumped out of his hand, he fumbled with it...funny...)

anyways, my suggestion, if you need something hard, like a tool or some home accessory, across the next 5 - 10 years, better get it today because there's no way in telling what's going to be made again, ever

moved here:

Last edited:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Penny wise, pound foolish. I don't want to work on my tools; I want to work with my tools. Better yet, I expect my tools to work for me.

I have zero patience for junk tools. Good tools are worth the investment.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I still would like a wired AC adapter for all my Ryobi One tools.
The batteries are so costly and I only use them infrequently, so they're always dead.
I'd just like to plug my tools into an extension cord for use.

Somebody could make a fortune selling those...

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Penny wise, pound foolish. I don't want to work on my tools; I want to work with my tools. Better yet, I expect my tools to work for me.

I learned, very early, in business, that a cheap, inadequate tool is very expensive & a first class tool, that will be there for you every time, is an inexpensive tool. :gracious::2 thumbs up::finished:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

i've got a box full of 'good tools', used once for one project.......stupidest purchases i've ever made

i learned this along time ago...if i can go to HF, spend a few dollars on a wrench, come back to the shop, heat it and bend it to fit, i've saved over $50

tools can be a money pit if you're not selective enough and overspending is no bargain either...if a person is wise enough, they can keep their dinero in their pocket and still get the job done professionally

what this is, that you're referencing, that's only being a smart consumer but that also entails that requirement about Not Over Spending, don't give those companies your 'hard earned' money...unless that's no longer an issue and in that case, why not just piss it all away with that point of view?

you'd have a lot more fun...

and don't knock others who Can make stuff out of a bunch of components or who buy trinketry shit to use, trust me, these items will be used regularly, that's exactly why i bought them in the first place...

:green tea:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Some Harbor Freight is good enough (like sockets). But just because something is shaped like Vice Grips doesn't mean it is Vice Grips.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Some Harbor Freight is good enough (like sockets). But just because something is shaped like Vice Grips doesn't mean it is Vice Grips.
Gotta try those kinky vice grips.

I've only ever had just vise grips....

;)

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Radio Shack sold a replacement brand of GOLD. I bought one for my Porter Cable drill. Been using it for years without problems. Outlasted the original.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
moved here:

Last edited: