• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Giant New York rats overtaking Central Park and the UWS

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Giant New York rats overtaking Central Park and the UWS

By Melanie Gray and Dean Balsamini

November 21, 2020 | 1:18pm| Updated

A rat on an Upper West Side sidewalk.
Connie Sanchez

Rat school is in session as fed-up New Yorkers try to learn how to deal with a surging rodent population.
Rats as big as bunnies are roaming the streets in broad daylight, nesting in trees and chewing through car engine wires that can cost thousands to fix. And there are so many that residents are kvetching about them every chance they get — 311 hotline complaints about rats have totaled 12,632 so far this year — a third more than the 9,042 for all of 2019.
With the Upper West Side teeming with the hungry critters, Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal and the city Health Department sponsored the latest incarnation of “Rat Academy,” two hours of rat prevention training livestreamed Tuesday to nearly four dozen supers, tenants and homeowners. The city began such training sessions about 10 years ago.
Gail Dubov, president of the West 83rd Street Block Association, has a “Ph.D in Rat Academy” from sitting in on a couple of sessions, including Tuesday’s. “Rats are devious,” she pronounced with authority, “and they’re smart.”
Dozens who belong to Upper West Siders for Safer Streets have posted their gargantuan vermin sightings on Facebook, including Melanie Sloan, whose daughter is Scarlett Johansson.
“Central Park is overrun with huge fat rats,” Sloan wrote. “I saw a man on a bench in the rambles swatting them unsuccessfully with a rake.”
Not a day goes by that Amanda Levine doesn’t see at least one rat. She sprays her Jeep Grand Cherokee with a cocktail of cinnamon and mint oils and water — under the hood and on all four wheel bearings — to ward off the critters. In her apartment complex, at 107th Street between Amsterdam and Broadway, her neighbors tell her they hear scratching behind the walls.
Levine ticks off four reasons why she thinks rats have invaded the UWS: outdoor dining, more homeless New Yorkers, shoddy street cleaning and the biggest — trash not being picked up often enough, both from the cans on sidewalk corners and the stacks of bags hauled to the curb by building supers.
The Department of Sanitation is responsible for both street cleaning and garbage collection. Spokesman Joshua Goodman told The Post that DSNY is committed to keeping the city clean and reducing the rat population.
“Only when residents, businesses, and the City work together can we address a problem that is as old and as persistent as the City of New York itself,” Goodman said.
As far as Levine is concerned, the only one to blame is Mayor de Blasio. Not in the 20 years she has lived on the block have rats been so thick.
She is convinced that Hizzoner wants to do away with the Sanitation Department: “He’s a f–king waste. He’s turned this city into a s—hole.”
Enlarge ImageAmanda Levine with her anti-rat spray.J.C.Rice
City Hall denied the notion. “The mayor clearly does not want to ‘get rid’ of the sanitation department,” de Blasio spokesman Mitch Schwartz told The Post. “I can’t imagine where anyone would get that impression.”
Dalia Schwalb was traumatized by a gang of 10 to 15 rats outside the 96th Street subway stop last Sunday night.
“You used to see the rats … on the tracks,” she said. “Now they are literally part of the neighborhood. They should pay rent.”
She compared her encounter to the invasion scene from the movie “Ratatouille.”
“We need the Guardian Angels for the rats. I need them to be gone. “

https://nypost.com/2020/11/21/new-yorkers-take-charge-against-citys-surging-rat-population/

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
I'll take the rats for 100 Alex

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Bring in the doggies.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 9.31.37 AM.png

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

I like it when they kick

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
you can't be serious

those rats would eat that half a dog and spit out the bones,

there are pocket dogs, 1/2 a dogs, and dogs,

and that isn't a dog...................
I'd put them in a ring... see who wins.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If anyone remembers the prisoner of war movie King Rat the rat population solution was to sell them to the military officers to eat

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Protein is protein, any squirrel recipe should work.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Protein is protein, any squirrel recipe should work.
Given your handle, I'm guessing you could be speaking from experience.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
My "Friends" have shared deer, possum, coon, and turtle with me, rat not yet, but in every depression rats and pigeons disappears. I like Asian food so I figure cat and dog are covered.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My "Friends" have shared deer, possum, coon, and turtle with me, rat not yet, but in every depression rats and pigeons disappears. I like Asian food so I figure cat and dog are covered.
Thats when sauce is our beat friend.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Doesn't an almost identical article like this come out every 1-2 years?

In related news :

These Are America's 50 Most Rat-Infested Cities
"This is the fourth year in a row that Chicago has been named the country’s rattiest city. "

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/561029/most-rat-infested-cities-in-america
Lots of big rats in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I used to see the feckers roaming the streets and sidewalks in the middle of the night after concerts down there. They are pretty much fearless too.

brosil

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
There's a restaurant in Beijing that specializes in rats. They have to track their customers so that the customers don't eat rat more than twice a week. More than that and the blood thins to dangerous levels. You folks on blood thinners might take note of that if there is an interruption in supply.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You be right about that. I have seen both dog and rat sold on a stick -- whole or in chunks.

1606138155890.png

This kinda turned me off my appetite a bit, since the guts were cooked inside:

1606138307666.png

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Roasted rat and scrape off the hair with a dull knife. Yum yum welcome to American-Asian fusion cooking.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
This is what comes of anarchy...chaos...permitting bums to live on the street, eat on the street, litter the street.

Intoxicated vagrants and crazy people, cannot be made to pick up behind themselves, of course. Which means chow's out for rodents. Moar chaos and disorder...just the way Circle Ds like it...means, RATS.

As well as other vermin. But DumbocRats are animals, anyway. They represent the Dark Side of the Bell Curve. They support chaos and Third-World-izing of our public spaces.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
The rats are getting so big in NYC the Democrats are trying to register them to vote.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Rats will generally not go above the fifth story in a building. Something instinctive that researchers are still trying to figure out. So get an apartment on the sixth or higher floor. The downside is that the tallest ladder and tower truck in the FDNY arsenal only reach the fifth floor.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I'd question that.

First, how do rats KNOW?

Second, they'll go where there's a food source. And there's ALWAYS a food source in crowded apartments. One in ten people are just-plain dirty, slovenly. Garbage piles up. Floors are unswept, including floors where there's crumbs and drops of food.

It's the downside of living in crowded close quarters - something we were not instinctually designed for. If you have a cabin or hovel...no matter how lowly, keeping it rodent free is easy. Tedious but easy.

Less easy, is making the dirty pigs, live cleanly.

So...I can see rats moving into the lower floors...and as things crowd up, the population is pushed ever upwards. No reason for the rats to ever go outside, if they have access to water.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
i'm a murder hornet keeper. i've got a bid in to nyc homeland security section 3 vector 8 for this job

had to pay off half of izzy just to submit the bid

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Something instinctive that researchers are still trying to figure out.
yeah, they get all worked up trying to prove something when the answer is right in front of them

The downside is that the tallest ladder and tower truck in the FDNY arsenal only reach the fifth floor.
the rats totally know this and only reside in 5 and below due to safety reasons