• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Google is Big Brother

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm admittedly a bit naïve sometimes but a Google incident happened yesterday that caught me totally off guard. Kind of a long story but I'll explain:

I heard a rumor that a casual acquaintance 75 miles away had possibly committed suicide in the last month or so. No name was involved but the description of him indicated that it may have been a guy I knew. On my Android phone I texted a mutual acquaintance to ask if he had heard anything about this guy's passing and that I wasn't sure of the guy's last name. He hadn't heard it either but texted me the last name of the guy. It was a huge shock to both of us but still only a rumor. Anyway, when I got home to the laptop that I use there I went to Google and started typing... All I typed in was the guy's first name, 'Bryan'... Auto-complete finished it from there with '(the guy's last name and city), Iowa obituary'. Yes, they had the last name and city right. I just redacted it here for the purpose of this thread.

Now, I knew of Google's shenanigans and in the past had marveled at the 'coincidences' of their auto-complete but this one astonished me. This was no coincidence- full stop.

I'm getting another phone and will never use Google again.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
i've had that happen, but, it appeared it was driven by things I said...since then, I turned off my mobile app on my phone so it's never 'on' until i turn it on...

I'm probably only fooling myself, but, so far, so good, it's never happened again...and it could have only been 'by chance', but it sure didn't seem to be at the time

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
So much for the Don't. Their moto is simply Be Evil. I guess the psycology that says the brain doesn't understand the negative qualifier is correct.

For instance, when golfing if you think to your self don't slice this shot then you subconsicously just told your self to do exactly that slice.

Bigfoot

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"A Google insider who anonymously leaked internal documents to Project Veritas made the decision to go public in an on-the-record video interview. The insider, Zachary Vorhies, decided to go public after receiving a letter from Google, and after he says Google allegedly called the police to perform a 'wellness check' on him."

"The Google whistleblower has come out of the shadows, this time releasing a large cache of confidential internal Google documents that expose Google’s political bias and a scary progressive social agenda.

Zachary Vorhies: And the reason why I printed these documents was because I saw something dark and nefarious going on with the company. I felt that our entire election system was going to be compromised forever by this company that told the American public that it was not going to do any evil and I saw that they were making really quick moves, not only in the documents but also in the internal speeches that the executives were giving to the company that they were intending to do that, that they were intending to scope the information landscape so that they could create their own version of what was objectively true."

https://mindmatters.ai/2019/08/whistleblower-google-told-cops-to-do-a-wellness-check-on-him/

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
So much for the Don't. Their moto is simply Be Evil. I guess the psycology that says the brain doesn't understand the negative qualifier is correct.

For instance, when golfing if you think to your self don't slice this shot then you subconsicously just told your self to do exactly that slice.
When I used to play golf with my dad, he would say things like watch out for that tree on the right, don't hit left, it's out of bounds, watch out for the water. It worked when I was learning, but after I was fairly decent, he was the one blowing up. I had never heard my dad say anything but damn and hell until I started beating him in golf, then out came the fuck, god damn, son of a bitch, and even throwing his clubs. Aw, the memories, lol.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I'm admittedly a bit naïve sometimes but a Google incident happened yesterday that caught me totally off guard. Kind of a long story but I'll explain:

I heard a rumor that a casual acquaintance 75 miles away had possibly committed suicide in the last month or so. No name was involved but the description of him indicated that it may have been a guy I knew. On my Android phone I texted a mutual acquaintance to ask if he had heard anything about this guy's passing and that I wasn't sure of the guy's last name. He hadn't heard it either but texted me the last name of the guy. It was a huge shock to both of us but still only a rumor. Anyway, when I got home to the laptop that I use there I went to Google and started typing... All I typed in was the guy's first name, 'Bryan'... Auto-complete finished it from there with '(the guy's last name and city), Iowa obituary'. Yes, they had the last name and city right. I just redacted it here for the purpose of this thread.

Now, I knew of Google's shenanigans and in the past had marveled at the 'coincidences' of their auto-complete but this one astonished me. This was no coincidence- full stop.

I'm getting another phone and will never use Google again.
Is your phone connected to your google account? ...and were you connected to the same google account when you typed a search on your laptop?

Not, defending google btw, they're absolutely spying on everyone, just like to understand how the spying posing as sharing works.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Is your phone connected to your google account? ...and were you connected to the same google account when you typed a search on your laptop?

Not, defending google btw, they're absolutely spying on everyone, just like to understand how the spying posing as sharing works.
No Google account (that I'm aware of) but the only apparent connection to me at least, is an Android phone tied to a non-Google e-mail address so I can access mail from either device. Maybe the e-mail tie is an account- I don't know. I'm not very good at this sort of thing but I do know that I don't like the snooping. No chrome browser or anything like that.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have not used google in AT LEAST ten years. I've been using Duck Duck Go since then. I'm considering going to Startpage. I use Firefox for now, considering going to Brave.

Started using a VPN early last year. I have not looked back. I am considering limiting my own access to the web.

While I understand most people think that can't live WITHOUT the web, but you can. It's taken them twenty years to addict you to it, breaking that habit won't be hard. You think the liberals were crying when Trump got elected. Wait until their phones no longer work.

Google may be bad, BUT THE INTERNET IS BIG BROTHER. Google is but one arm of that. EVERYTHING YOU TYPE ON THIS FORUM IS STORED BY GOOGLE. You knew that, right?

One day soon, the piper will want payment for all bills the world has racked up. It won't be fun. And it's coming a lot quicker than most people know.

You have less than eight months, perhaps less. Once the next election is over, things will look a lot different. It doesn't matter who wins and who loses, WE WILL ALL PAY THE PRICE.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Fenz, you are aware that android is owned by goggle, right?
BF
Yes, I did know that. Not crazy about Apple (and their prices) but I do admire their encryption/security and apparent refusal to compromise it. I am getting a new phone, probably an Apple of one type or other unless someone has any better ideas.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Apple is much worse IMO. Think long and hard about that decision. Every single male I know that gets apple crap regrets it and not just because they spy on you and intentionally obsolete your phone with their "firmware viruses"(ala microsloth), it's a closed platform that allows far less customization.
I have not used google in AT LEAST ten years. I've been using Duck Duck Go since then. I'm considering going to Startpage. I use Firefox for now, considering going to Brave.

Started using a VPN early last year. I have not looked back. I am considering limiting my own access to the web.

While I understand most people think that can't live WITHOUT the web, but you can. It's taken them twenty years to addict you to it, breaking that habit won't be hard. You think the liberals were crying when Trump got elected. Wait until their phones no longer work.

Google may be bad, BUT THE INTERNET IS BIG BROTHER. Google is but one arm of that. EVERYTHING YOU TYPE ON THIS FORUM IS STORED BY GOOGLE. You knew that, right?

One day soon, the piper will want payment for all bills the world has racked up. It won't be fun. And it's coming a lot quicker than most people know.

You have less than eight months, perhaps less. Once the next election is over, things will look a lot different. It doesn't matter who wins and who loses, WE WILL ALL PAY THE PRICE.
I'm a few six packs beyond caring at this point. Yeah everyone on this forum is surely on a "black list" ...and so is about half of all males that post on faceplant at this point. The "problem" is that huge numbers of men stubbornly refuse to suckle at the federal regime teat.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
On Android, Google is always listening. I rooted my tablet and removed the Google apps. My wife's tablet is not rooted, so it hears everything anyway. There's a big tomcat in the neighborhood, quite the badass but also friendly. We call him "Buddy". My wife went to do a search on her tablet and before she typed the first letter, the top suggested search option was "outside with Buddy".

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
My friends and I often notice similar "coincidences". Invariably it only happens when friends are over who have android phones.

the_shootist

Don't hate me because I'm right!
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I have an iPhone and the same thing happens to me. Like solarian, I'm way past caring. That Pandora's box has been open a long time

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
It's the same process Americans are exposed to again and again...binary choices where both suck. Apple vs Alphabet...Red vs Blue. So far both Apple and Google have been busted turning over user data to the federal regime...only Apple has been busted intentionally crippling older hardware to "encourage" people to buy newer expensive hardware. Doesn't mean alphabet isn't doing the same, they just haven't yet been caught if they are.

The lessor of those two evils(Apple vs Google) is the one that allows you the most ability to "root" out the evil tentacles. It is precisely as TBSE said in post #14. Get yourself an unlocked android, root it, and rip up the spyware...it's the best you're going to get as far as freedom of choice goes.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My phone is just an Android phone.

It does NOT go onto the internet. I understand that it can be a hot spot, but I doubt I'll even set that up.

And I RARELY call anyone.

I don't do text messages.

It's so my wife can get in touch with me.

that's it