• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Great free woodworking plan site

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I was looking for some free plans for a bed and ended up at the Ana White site. I didn't know most plans are not free and many are quite difficult from my standpoint. I really enjoyed looking through this site because plans are free there
http://www.ana-white.com

I am currently restoring a 1930ish craftsman style bungalow house and since I am replacing all the old painted woodwork with red oak this bed I found there will match the house design and woodwork as well. A simple enough project that will look great in my circumstances. They estimate the project will take 10 to 20 hours but I think it can be done closer to the 10 hour rather than the 20 hour because I already have a table saw etc set up to continue with the woodwork. For those that have children this might be a great project for a father/mother/son/daughter family project and the wood could be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes that give 3 free cuts per board at my location
The Simple Bed (Full-Size)
Submitted by JReed on Mon, 2013-01-21 14:17
PDF version

Additional Photos:

About This Project
We had been looking for a headboard for our son for the longest time, but could never find anything we liked in the shade we needed in the stores. Fell in love with this bed, thought it was one of the more "boyish" styles that I've seen which was what I wanted for my son. Asked my husband if he thought he'd be able to build it, he said he'd try and voila! We, however, modified the plans a bit and only made a headboard, but overall, I love it!
Built from Plan(s):
Simple Bed, Full Size
Estimated Time Investment:
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Required Skill Level:
Beginner
Tags:
headboard, simple bed
Simple Bed, Full Size
Think you need special tools to build a slatted mission style bed? Think again. This beautiful solid wood bed is made from standard 2x4s and other dimensional lumber and is cleverly put together without any specialized woodworking tools. This rustic design can work in both a girls or boys room, and can also be converted into a bunk and even a twin over full bunk.

Author Notes:

Shopping List:
2- 4x4 @ (8')
5- 1x4 @ (8')
2- 1x3 @ (8')
1- 1x2 @ (8')
7- 1x6 @ (8')
4- 2x4 @ (8')
15- 2x2 @ (8') Optional could use plywood for these
2 inch screws
3 inch screws
1-1/4" Pocket Hole Screws

2-1/2" Pocket Hole Screws

Elmer's Wood Glue
Elmer's Wood Filler
120 grit sandpaper
primer
wood conditioner
paint
paint brush
Tools:

General Instructions:
Because this plan is essentially the same as the twin sized simple bed, I am recommend reviewing the directions for the twin sized simple bed and following those directions. In this plan, I will give you modifided cut list and additional diagrams to help you successfully complete a full sized simple bed.
This bed will fit a mattress measuring 54″ x 75″
Dimensions:

66 1/2" x 82" x 32"
Cut List:
Cut List for the Headboard
2 – 4×4 Posts @ 41″ (Legs)
9 – 1×4 @ 31 1/2″ (Slats)
16 – 1×3 @ 5 1/2″ (Middle Spacers)
4 – 1×2 @ 5 1/2″ (End Spacers)
4 – 1×6 @ 54 1/2″ (Trim, cut to measurements)
1 – 2×4 @ 66 1/2″ (Header)
Cut List for the Footboard
2 – 4×4 Posts @ 31″ (Legs)
9 – 1×4 @ 21 1/2″ (Slats)
16 – 1×3 @ 5 1/2″ (Middle Spacers)
4 – 1×2 @ 5 1/2″ (End Spacers)
4 – 1×6 @ 54 1/2″ (Trim, cut to measurements)
1 – 2×4 @ 66 1/2″ (Header)
Cut List for Siderails and Slats
2 – 1×6 @ 75″ (Side Rails)
2 – 2×4 @ 76 1/4″ (Cleats)
25 – 2×2 @ 54 1/2″ (Bedroll Slats)

Step 1:
Headboard and Footboard. Build the headboard and footboard as directed in the twin sized plans, expect you will need to use the cut list and diagram above to change dimensions to the full size.

Step 2 Instructions:
Headers. The headers will be attached in the same manner as the headers for the twin sized.

Step 3 Instructions:
Side Rails and Cleats. Fasten the side rail to the cleat, as directed above. Use 2 1/2″ screws. Center the siderail on the cleat, with a 5/8″ overhang on either end. To attach the cleats to the footboard and headboard, predrill and use 3 1/2″ screws to screw into the legs through the ends of the cleats.

Step 4 Instructions:
Bedroll slats. If you do not have a boxspring, you can lay slats on top of the cleats as directed above. You will need to screw in place. If you do have a box spring, the boxspring will rest on top of the cleats.
Project Type:
Full, Beds
Estimated Cost:
$100-$150
Room:
Bedroom, Kids and Toys
Collections:
Simple Bedroom Collection
Skill Level:
Intermediate
Style:
Cottage Style Furniture Plans, Children's and Kid's Room Furniture and Toy Plans

Attachments

Last edited:

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Here is another site I found too. I think this bunk bed would have been a blast when my children were younger
http://woodgears.ca/bed/bunk_bed/tractor.html
Tractor bunk bed

Just want to thank you for your plans for bunk beds.
My 5 year old son loves John Deere tractors, so after searching the internet and looking at many different plans and bed designs from fire trucks to pirate ships, I thought why not build a tractor bed. Wanting to build him a bunk bed, I took your bunk bed plans and sat down in my easy chair with my graph paper, scale, pencil and imagination and came up with a tractor bunk bed. I must say it came out awesome. Everyone that sees it tells me I should make more and sell them.
The joy on my son's face will never be forgotten.
Thanks again for publishing your plans, they were an inspiration.

By putting the posts on the outside it allowed me to build the bed more modular. I was able to construct the bed frames and then put the frames in the posts. When I brought the bed in from the garage I had two bed frames, four posts, the cab assembly and the ladder assembly at the foot of the bed.
I built the ladder in the front so it kind of blended in with the concept of a grill on the front of a tractor. I was going to put it on the side and cut holes in the rear wheel, but I didn't want holes in the wheel.

More beds and bunk beds:
Twin over twin bunk bed

Bunk bed plans

Building a bed from 2x4's

Giorgos's bunk bed build