• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hats off to you landscape guys,

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Been doing some of my own and don't like it at all,

Certainly appreciate those that do theirs, and maintain it.
All the respect to you out there,

Those that create rock walls, the proper plantings, then the weeding and nurturing, all the above.

It looks fantastic, and you can sure tell the persons who like it and put in the effort vs those like me.

For me, I just want to mow the damn grass, and don't really want to do that...........

:beer:

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
When I paid good money to have my front planters redone, I got cheap and wouldn't let them put weed barrier underneath the mulch. Stupid f**k! Now every year the weeds grow like crazy. Here I am barely a week into summer and some of those weeds are nearly as tall as I am. I'm with you Scorp. Maybe I should pull it all out and carry the lawn all the way up to the front of the house.

Speaking of grass, I just mowed the front. And the back is waiting for me. Maybe another cup of coffee first :)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
There is a break-point for this kind of thing.

I had been mowing my lawn... and like Scorp, it was a drag and a half. Not only that, but my $1600 longmotor kept requiring repairs and maintenance, and finally gave up the ghost.

I checked through my Consumer Reports to find the best-for-the-buck lawnmower. Got out my slide rule and did a cost-analysis. The glorious numbers showed me a way back to fargin sanity:

It is cheaper to hire a team of dudes to mow your lawn if it is over an acre than it is to mow it yourself. And that includes you doing it for free while they get paid.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I say let your lawn look like shit, you are less of a target when all the other houses in the neighborhood look nicer. Lol.......

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Bought a new cheap push mower last year and left it out all winter (didn't have a shed), can't get it to start this summer - drained the fuel (even used that expensive no ethenal canned fuel), took out the carb and sprayed it carp cleaner and compressed air, changed the spark plug, even put a little gasket seal on the intake gasket. Ready to put a stick a dynamite in the thing. Going with the natural look for now (overgrown).

On the commercial prop, went with an almost no maintenance little strip on the street - laid down left over roofing material and underlayment as a weed block, planted thornless cactus from cuttings, gathered up rocks from the property (former rock shop) and used hog panels to hold them (called gabions), and bought two Italian cypresses and 4 rosemary plants. Cheap and easy (weeds and grass still make it through the weed block).

landscape.jpg

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yard work keeps me healthy, I like it. Our pet honker even enjoys it !

1562701663611.png

1562702013761.png

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
so I did get some done before lunch,

then decided it was break time,

then it started to look like rain, so figured I should get back out there again,

yet, then I thought, you know, I have some stuff that needs to be burned.
Might be a right fine time before the rain,

So I got my fire started, then of course you have to babysit the fire,
so the landscape awaits further activity

got a feeling this is a gonna take awhile

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
1562706602349.png

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
When I paid good money to have my front planters redone, I got cheap and wouldn't let them put weed barrier underneath the mulch. Stupid f**k! Now every year the weeds grow like crazy. Here I am barely a week into summer and some of those weeds are nearly as tall as I am. I'm with you Scorp. Maybe I should pull it all out and carry the lawn all the way up to the front of the house.

Speaking of grass, I just mowed the front. And the back is waiting for me. Maybe another cup of coffee first :)
You need to put some Treflan on your flower beds before the weeds emerge . Do it early spring next year.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
did I say glo plug?

meant to say 'go' plug

now if'n you were thinking I said glow plug like on a diesel, no, not true

glo plug is highly specialized and probably not applicable in your situation, yet it most certainly would have a 'go' plug, and maybe shorted out on ya

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
did I say glo plug?

meant to say 'go' plug

now if'n you were thinking I said glow plug like on a diesel, no, not true

glo plug is highly specialized and probably not applicable in your situation, yet it most certainly would have a 'go' plug, and maybe shorted out on ya
You mean the Go Fish plug? The only thing I can think it might be is the coil thingy by the flywheel, could be a bad connection from sitting out. Need to check for spark - that is my last effort before the violence starts.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I mow 3 acres w a 42" deck. It takes alot of beer and weed to get it done, common citizens would be suprised and/or disgusted. I am glad its dry here, I hate mowing, most mindless activity ive been lucky to partake in.

It sure looks nice when you get done though............:beer:

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I mow 3 acres w a 42" deck. It takes alot of beer and weed to get it done, common citizens would be suprised and/or disgusted. I am glad its dry here, I hate mowing, most mindless activity ive been lucky to partake in.

It sure looks nice when you get done though............:beer:
I mow about 2 acres with a 48 " deck. Don't drink beer or smoke weed.
But i like the mindless activity of mowing grass. I find it to be therapeutic going back and forth and forth and back....

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
1. Check compression
2. Check for spark
3. Make sure it has fresh gas.
4. If it won't start pull air cleaner & hit it with easy start. If it starts & then dies it's fuel related. Clean carb.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Best rock wall I've ever seen built was by Scotsmen... Those boys knew how to build a wall!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I don't remember the last time I mowed...my wife always does it before it gets to my mowing height.
Mine too. That's why I bought her a lawn mower!

Same as dust... I never see it.

I tell her: "from dust you came, to dust you shall return" how do you know you're not wiping up a relative??

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I mow about 2 acres with a 48 " deck. Don't drink beer or smoke weed.
But i like the mindless activity of mowing grass. I find it to be therapeutic going back and forth and forth and back....
Its too much like farming for me, which is also a mindless activity, and requires lots of beer...........

Going back and forth and back and forth. I need some kind of inebreation to get it to work properly.

:winking:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have 1.7 acre triangle shaped, mostly wide open with some woods. I let one half of the lawn grow and flower before mowing the other side. There is a lot of clover and various other flowers.

Long term, I would like to expand some garden areas and add perennials. Do a little more weeding but a little less of this :mow lawn:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Oh, and I could go on and on about steep areas and places that have eroded that could really use some retaining walls added but my post got super wordy so I chopped it down. I might have to take some pictures and pick some brains of those of you with much more property management experience. whistle:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I too think mowing is therapeutic. That’s why I let my son do it.

I really did kind of enjoy yard work until the last divorce. Now IDGAF. It’s odd how priorities change.

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I prefer to sub-contract out any sort of physical activity.

I am still hopeful someone will figure out a way to sub out shit like yoga, jogging, etc...you know - all that healthy stuff...

Or maybe they will invent a pill...

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Simply wish I had more time to work around the place. I dont mind mowing or weeding when I feel like I have time for it. It's the other horse shit in life that bothers me.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
wouldn't let them put weed barrier underneath the mulch. Stupid f**k! Now every year the weeds grow like crazy.
exactly what I was working on, as stuff had come on thru the old barrier that was in for far too long,

digging it out with the roots attached to that fabric barrier is oodles of fun.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You mean the Go Fish plug? The only thing I can think it might be is the coil thingy by the flywheel, could be a bad connection from sitting out. Need to check for spark - that is my last effort before the violence starts.
Back in the Olden Days (fifty years ago), I would start my longmotor by unscrewing the plug, pouring in a little gasoline, screw the plug back in, and yank the cord.

It would start right up.

BUT.

There came a time when I did this trick about fifteen times... I was spittin' cotton, and out of breath. The fargin sumbitch would start, run ten seconds... and die.

I had enough it its intransigence; I went in the house, picked up my shotgun and loaded a punkin ball in it. Went outside and shot the traitorous bastage. Blew it all to hell.

Scooter got up in Show And Tell and recounted the episode. He was sent home with a note from the teacher for fanciful falsehoods. His momma went directly to said teacher and reduced her to quaking rubble.

When Scooter next time got up and told the class how Daddy shot the Worry Car*** with his Luger, the teacher never said a word.

***Valiant. To Scooter, the taillight arrangement looked like the car had a worried face.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
My lawnmower is 15 years old. I don't do a damn thing to it. Does it have oil? I don't know.

It has gas in it. Starts 1st pull everytime.

Some years it it put away half tank, sometimes full, most of the time empty.

This year I ain't touched it. Down here you don't mow sand.

mayhem

Since 2006
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
OK, I'll confess. Like Walt I'm on a acre and a quarter and I hire two brown guys to mow, trim and blow the c-ment driveway. Every other Monday they show up at 08:00 sharp and are gone by 08:45 done. A C-note a month, would be more but I did away with all (135) stick pines and all the non native palm stuff because they just make a real mess after a big blow. I look over at my neighbor who hasn't been in a big blow here yet and actually feel sorry for him, as all his pretty landscape will be shreds after a storm.
Haven't had a BB since 2005 so we are due. I'm ready, nuttin to blow down in my yard.

And @Unca Walt, You had class. Nice pic of that Valiant in post #36

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I just use a cheap push mower, abuse the hell out of it and buy another in 7-8 years.

2019-06-07 @08-32-44_front yard with kitty.jpg

My latest adventure is with professional-quality weed block. Not the junk found at Home Depot but the kind nurseries use. I used a 5-mil fabric in the citrus garden on the left and it is working well. Amazon was out of the 5-mil when I reordered, so I got some 4-mil and used it in the vegetable garden. It does not work that well; weeds started coming through the fabric. But it's still way better than no weed block. I have enough left of the 4-mil to redo the veg garden this winter, but anything I buy going forward will be 5-mil.

Believe it or not, that is only 4 tomato plants on the right.

2019-06-07 @08-32-09_back yard garden.jpg

Cherokee Purple heirloom tomatoes. We got 300-400 of these and about 200 small patio variety.

2019-06-21 @11-56-41_cherokee purple heirloom tomatoes.jpg