• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hello, Is anyone interested in platinum?

Avalon

Lawn Protected by Guns Of Avalon
Platinum Bling
I was just checking and noticed how low platinum prices are. So far I have resisted the urge to buy. Im wondering if it might be time. Im just curious how others are feeling about it.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Asians prefer their wedding rings be made of platinum over gold.
Cheaper metals are used in cat. converters nowadays.
In a SHTF scenario it looks like silver so in liquidation I believe you'd get low-balled more so than any other "white" PMs.
There are reasons the DEMAND is down compared to its past highs.
The Nation Economy is doing good yet the metal is not.
Contrarian view - Now may be a good time to get in. ( Flip a coin)

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Here is a page claiming that production is 160 tons in 2018, but demand is 7.8 million ounces (267 tons).
https://www.statista.com/statistics/273645/global-mine-production-of-platinum/

The top producers were South Africa (110 tons), Russia (21), Zimbabwe (14), Canada (9.5), US (4.1), Other (6.1)

This implies that mine problems in South Africa could create huge ripples in the price, and the same for political manipulation from Russia. This might imply a very profitable upside for speculators, but this uncertainty might be scary enough for the carmakers and other consumers to stay away from platinum and rely on palladium instead. The price changes over the last few years would seem to agree with this hypothesis.

Now, the Russians do have their finger in the palladium game too, so that is a factor to consider too. The question I would ask myself is, "If I were planning the next five to ten years of catalytic devices, would I design for platinum with today's lower price, or palladium with less reliance on South Africa and more on Russia?" That's a tough question.

I bought a a 1oz Platinum Eagle a couple months ago. About the same price it is now. I was speculating on the catalytic converters going back to platinum. Don’t know what will happen and I could sit on it for awhile. No big deal as I like having one for a collection. I don’t think I will ever get the Palladium Eagle though as the premium is rediculous.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
i have been opportunistically buying below 1k .........all time highs 2k-ish.....lows400-ish so downside seems limited

very supply and demand driven metals (pt and pl)

PT/PL very industrial metals....(catalysts required mostly in engine exhaust cleaning)(demand is highly tied to vehicle production and emissions legislation)

PT and PL are very interchangeable and tend to price conversely to each other

as stated before i am buying low volumes opportunistically right now adding to my PT ....i am still holding PL and will sell it aggressively and buy PT aggressively when i see a pending reversal in the current converse relationship

i don't see a major downside to it right now but i don't see its reversal as eminent

I'm heavy in it, pplt (ETF).

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Silver may not be as historically underpriced to gold as platinum...but its pretty close. And its a much bigger market with smaller spreads.

Good to see you Avalon...

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member

Avalon

Lawn Protected by Guns Of Avalon
Platinum Bling
these are some interesting responses. I have been out of the loop. So the reason platinum is so low is because it is no longer used in catalytic converters? Its a way superior metal then gold for jewelry so demand must be done for fine jewelry too.

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
these are some interesting responses. I have been out of the loop. So the reason platinum is so low is because it is no longer used in catalytic converters? Its a way superior metal then gold for jewelry so demand must be done for fine jewelry too.
Here's an article that explains the goings on with palladium-platinum and emission systems. Pretty much boils down to palladium for gasoline engines and platinum for diesel engines. I've been buy platinum jewelry...the best place I've found is MENE. I've also been buying gold jewelry at MENE

Palladium/Platinum emission systems

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
PT and PL are pretty much interchangeable in catalytic converters ......it just requires minimal design changes and recertifications to make the change......for years PL was much less expensive so it got design and certification preferences now the pricing has swapped and at some point that will reverse itself ......right now it costs a lot to redesign/retool/retest/recertify....but the tipping point is coming its just a matter of when

be aware ...most of the worlds PT and PL comes from russia or south africa so there are also political considerations, i have posted earlier this year more specificly on the supply/demand relationship

I agree with RIPV ....that buying via ETF is a very reasonable method due to the huge premiums on the physical market

i currently own PGMFF for PT.....and USLV 3x for silver....beyond my physical holdings

pimples

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I was just checking and noticed how low platinum prices are. So far I have resisted the urge to buy. Im wondering if it might be time. Im just curious how others are feeling about it.
I don't not know if it's true but I was reading about how platinum is used for diesel mufflers and palladium is used for car mufflers. Diesel is out of favor is what the theory is.... I don't know, I've heard it all

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I don't not know if it's true but I was reading about how platinum is used for diesel mufflers and palladium is used for car mufflers. Diesel is out of favor is what the theory is.... I don't know, I've heard it all
technically speaking PT is a slightly better of a Diesel Exhaust catylist ....both are fairly equal for Gas engine exhausts ....so trends have been PT for diesel and PL for Gas because it was less expensive........and as a overall cost in a Truck or Car the PT/PL price is minimal so that is why its slow to change....but this slowness to change will keep forcing a wider margin between the two until it reaches a tipping point and reverses ....that is why i have not sold PL yet waiting for the tech swap wouldnt suprize me for PL to become very scarce and have a huge blow-off top in the multi-thousands like rhodium did a while back

keep in mind i am only discussing the demand side of things....on the supply side all it will take is Russia or SA to either cut supply or expand supply to move the market in a huge way either way

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
avalon, long time no see. good to see you posting again :dog:

i like some platinum coins. not so much for the metal, but for the numi potential

US mint put out some good options and the mexican mint put out a few that are highly sought

I have been watching Pt and Pd as well. One issue is that both of them are mined together, so when Pd is high, and miners want to increase production, they wind up with more Pt as well, for which demand is lagging. I do play the PPLT ETF some - to avoid the high premiums. Buy on the dips, sell on the rises.

I've been thinking the same thing but when I look at the price of silver, I think there's a greater potential for that PM to increase in percentage than Pt. So, I've been sticking with silver.