• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Help on a potential project pls.

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got this picture of a old "plaque" from my company in Berlin. I would guess it could be pre-wall, say 1959. Instead of stealing it, I took a poloriod.

I would like to have it reproduced so the thing would look like it does in the picture, errors and all, but perhaps a little bit away from the edge.

Who could I get to do that? I am not trying to counterfeit it, but hang on my wall. Any ideas where I should look?

Why are you in Berlin.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Anyone with a saw and a paintbrush. Unless it's carved letters? Then you'd need someone with a pantograph.

But it sure looks hand lettered...

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Anyone with a saw and a paintbrush. Unless it's carved letters? Then you'd need someone with a pantograph.

But it sure looks hand lettered...
GH, this is not hand lettered. In my day, my hand lettering got a lot of attention. Look at the letter "E", for example. It is the same all through the plaque, as are all the letters. Hand lettering will have variations.

Who could I get to do that?
From what I see, this appears to be a "silkscreen" process, as I see no depth to the text. If so, the process is easy & not too expensive.

I would find a piece of wood, that you like, slightly larger than the plaque. Sand it to a very smooth consistency on the side to be silkscreend. Then have the wood silkscreened.
Then copy the outline & using a jig saw, carefully cut it to shape. A set of small, 1/2 inch to 1 inch diameter sanding drums chucked up into a drill or better, an air tool, to smooth the cut surface, as jig saws are a bit rough.
Use a polyurethane to seal the raw edge. Talk with the silkscreener about a prefinish or a post finish for preservation.

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I would use 3/4 luan plywood cut out the piece with a jigsaw paint the type by hand and have Will do it.
image.jpeg

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I imagine a sign shop wouldn’t charge much unless you demand hand lettering. Most print shops could cut vinyl letters very easy. Some could even do it precisely as it appears in the pic, leave the letters on the backing in a manner that you could stick it to the board as one piece allowing you to do it perfectly.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
GH, this is not hand lettered. In my day, my hand lettering got a lot of attention. Look at the letter "E", for example. It is the same all through the plaque, as are all the letters. Hand lettering will have variations.
Great! I knew this guy James Sporkio back in the 70's who was a sign painter. He drank a lot. I figured he died already several decades ago, but he sure knew how to paint a sign!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've met two professional old school sign makers since moving to Arkansas. The one isn't active anymore but the one who is is commissioned all over the place doing window painting for businesse and hand painting logos on the sides of buildings etc.

I bring that up because the Op made me think of them. That's something that someone would hire them to do.

That said I have made some signs for my Ex's business and used a pentagraph someone her mom had given me. It barely showed up on the surfaces but I traced the letters with pencil then defined and refined with paint. Just look for pictures but they're lost on dead computers.
me