• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hey Scorp, about Jeep History

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Not everyone knows what J.E.E.P. Stood for back then. That’s how it got it’s Name today.
Just. Enough. Essential. Parts (JEEP).

FB_IMG_1570929721002.jpg

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Now get a lot of Christmas wrapping paper cause I need it under my tree....Please.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yeah and here is what they do with them

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have a few more pix that I found on the Jeep in a crate and these are at the factory

jeep in a crate on the assembly line 2 .jpg

jeep in a crate on the assembly line.jpg

Jeep in several crates.jpg

loading crates of jeeps at the dock.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Guess I slept through quite a few wars! :p

Man, those $50 bikes would be a total gold mine in box today!
“When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.”

My dad used to intrigue us children with stories of selling his Model T for $5, buying a new Indian for $50, and his uncle who bought a new Model A with $600 bag of silver dimes from selling eggs - 10 cents a dozen.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My father in law was a merchant marine during the war in the Pacific.

He almost cried when he saw the military dumping these boxes over board just to 'lighten the load' before we go home...

He felt those jeeps would have worked well on the family farm in S. Dakota.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
"Jeep" has a coupla meanings, but even tongue-in-cheek, "Just Enough Essential Parts" ain't one of them.

The vehicle type is General Purpose. And the new jeep is the new inexperienced replacement in the unit.

Now... "John Wayne" can be a proper noun, a noun, or an adverb. The actor, a folding can opener, or a gung-ho dude recklessly john wayne-ing.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"Jeep" has a coupla meanings, but even tongue-in-cheek, "Just Enough Essential Parts" ain't one of them.

The vehicle type is General Purpose. And the new jeep is the new inexperienced replacement in the unit.

Now... "John Wayne" can be a proper noun, a noun, or an adverb. The actor, a folding can opener, or a gung-ho dude recklessly john wayne-ing.
I thought John wane was when you don't use the bathroom so much.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
mtnman: Do you mean this is newly-made stuff? Aw shit. I was willing to bite that sandwich.
Yep, new production, here' a short video.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If ya want a brand new Willys, this one will be for sale in a couple of weeks. Just have to finish the windshield and reupholster the seats. Every piece has been renewed or replaced. It's brand new. It also has history. This 1950 CJ3A was purchased new in Nashville Tennessee by the country music star Eddy Arnold and used by him on his farm for 30+ years. I've got lots of documentation, Pictures, Letters and title.
P1100896.JPG

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Origin of the Term Jeep
Although the name Jeep® became the commercial trademark of the Daimler-Chrysler Corporation, its origin in the early 1940s is somewhat of a mystery. There are a number of explanations, but no one really knows exactly how the name began. This page reviews all the popular theories of how the little 4x4 1/4-ton truck became the world-renowned and popular jeep, now the most universally recognized automotive shape in the world.

A soldier standing next to a Bantam BRC-60 (also called MkII) prototype jeep. Probable date would be in early 1941.

Today in WW II: 17 Oct 1941 USS Kearny [DD-432] torpedoed but not sunk by German submarine U-568, near Iceland, killing 11 sailors, the first American military casualties of WW II. More ↓

Origin of the Term Jeep
The origin of the term or name "jeep" is not firmly established. There are several plausible explanations, but none that is fully supported by evidence that can be said to settle the matter. The most likely explanations come from one or more of the following based on historical facts about the period of the development of the jeep, in 1940 and 1941, just before the beginning of World War II.

The full story of the development of the original Army Jeep of World War II is on the linked page.

Sixteen jeeps loaded crosswise on railroad flatcars for cross-country shipment, Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, Newport News, VA, 10 July 1944.

Additional photos are found in the Military Jeeps section of the Military Vehicle Charts.

Find additional photos and hi-res versions of military jeeps at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup.

Jeep Origin Theory No. 1: GP
One popular idea is that the name jeep came from the military designation "GP" for "General Purpose." After all, the jeep was certainly general purpose, doing every task imaginable during the war, all over the world. And the WW II jeep prototype produced by Ford was indeed designated Ford Model GP.

While the Ford Model was the "GP" it did not mean "General Purpose" rather it came from Ford production codes: G for government, and P for the 80-inch-wheelbase of the vehicle. The Ford prototype was not selected for production, rather the Willys MB was. Ford then manufactured the Willys design under license, designated Ford GPW. The Willys MB and Ford GPW are the standard World War II jeep, with over 700,000 produced.

The early jeeps were called "Combat Car", "Reconnaissance Car", "Bantam", "Quad", "Peep", "Pygmy" and "Blitz Buggy", but not "General Purpose" a phrase which did not appear in any official nomenclature or designation of the jeep.

Jeep Origin Theory No. 2: Eugene the Jeep
Another explanation centers on the cartoon character Eugene the Jeep, who appeared in the Popeye comic strip during 1936. This mythical animal of African origin could only say one word: jeep. It has been speculated that this popular and affectionately thought of character who could go anywhere may have inspired the nickname for the nimble little military truck when it appeared.

Jeep Origin Theory No. 3: WW I Slang
Some reports indicate the use of "jeep" in military slang, dating to World War I, when the word meant a new recruit. The 1/4-ton jeep was a new idea in the U.S. military where previously larger trucks or motorcycles had been used, but never a jeep-sized four-wheel vehicle. Hence, the word may have been applied by soldiers to the unproven jeep vehicle when it was in the prototype testing phase.

Jeep Origin Theory No. 4: Other
Wikipedia reports that "Jeep" had been used as the name of a small tractor made by Modine. Other websites report that the term was "used in Oklahoma as early as 1934 to designate a truck equipped with special equipment for drilling oil wells." Other explanations have tried to link "jeep" to other products, slang, or events but no explanation has been definitely linked to the rapid and widespread adoption of the name in the early 1940s, attached to the military vehicle.

Jeep Origin Theory No. 5: Mixed
The most likely explanation is probably that the origin was mixed and converged on "jeep" from multiple directions. The mighty Ford Motor Company certainly pulled out all the stops in promoting its Ford GP to get the military contract, putting the term "GP" into use. The military people involved in the procurement and testing of the vehicle may have called it jeep from the WW I slang, merging with the Ford name. The civilian contractors, engineers, and testers may have related it to the Eugene the Jeep character in Popeye. Others may have come to the same name from other directions as one person heard it from another and put their own understanding and explanation on it.

Supporting these ideas, Irving "Red" Hausmann, a civilian Willys-Overland engineer, recalled that he picked up the name from the soldiers during testing at Camp Holabird, MD. The first media report using the term jeep was probably an article by Katherine Hillyer, writing for the Washington Daily News. In February 1941 she saw a demonstration of the Willys Quad prototype by Red Hausmann at the U.S. Capitol and published a report including a photo captioned, "Jeep Creeps Up Capitol Steps" (top photo on Willys Quad page). A few months later, the June 1941 issue of The Field Artillery Journal included an article on p413 titled, The Versatile Jeep, describing the Bantam and Ford prototypes that were field tested in early 1941.

Regardless of the origin, the result was the same. The "indestructible, go anywhere, do anything jeep", one of the innovations that won the war.

The name Jeep® is now the commercial trademark of the Daimler-Chrysler Corporation, the result of fifty years of mergers and acquisitions leading back to the Willys-Overland Co. of World War II who established the trademark for its civilian jeeps after the war.

Find More Information on the Internet
There are many fine websites that have additional information on this topic, too many to list here and too many to keep up with as they come and go. Use this Google web search form to get an up to date report of what's out there.

For good results, try entering this: jeep name origin. Then click the Search button.

https://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_www_jeeps_origin_term.php

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
That is interesting data regarding the GP designation from the Ford company. It does confirm the "spoken name" origin my fambly has known since they started making them back in the Olden Days when I wuz a little kid.

OMIGAWD, Scorp... Lookit this and think Deep State (contacts, publicity):

"The mighty Ford Motor Company certainly pulled out all the stops in promoting its Ford GP to get the military contract, putting the term "GP" into use."

But Willys got the contract... which went right over to Ford. By April: "Ford set its overall record of jeeps produced in a single month: 11,159 vehicles."

YIKES. What a missed opportunity for ole Henry :bang head:Ford.

I would like to shake the hand of the smart sonuvagun that told his boss at Willys to TRADEMARK the fargin name, "Jeep". He delivered to his boss an unbelievable windfall of worldwide promotion -- FREE!! All the Ford publicity went to Willys. ALL of it.

I hope he retired filthy rich.

Last edited:

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
yep, and if you think of it, GP sounds like jeep

then jeep became the name, as like you say, someone picked up on it

BB told me once that Mahindra out of India actually was the original developer, and that is why they have legal authority to create and market those 'jeep' all terrain vehicles

I haven't went lately and looked for further confirm of that

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
yep, and if you think of it, GP sounds like jeep

then jeep became the name, as like you say, someone picked up on it

BB told me once that Mahindra out of India actually was the original developer, and that is why they have legal authority to create and market those 'jeep' all terrain vehicles

I haven't went lately and looked for further confirm of that
Today, the original Jeep design lives on in the form of the Mahindra Roxor. The Roxor's underpinnings date back to just after World War II when the Indian company Mahindra was granted a license from Willys to build the CJ3B. Since then, Mahindra has offered a civilian vehicle called the Thar outside the U.S.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28675796/mahindra-roxor-4x4-drive/

Mahindra Roxor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_Roxor

Last edited:

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
That Roxor is a fine vehicle. Soon I'm going to own one.