• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Home electrical question, LED drop ceiling

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'm putting a drop ceiling into my laundry/utility room to add 100 sq finished feet to my hovel. I tried some faux can lighting but it isn't bright enough and I hate florescent lights. I was looking for solutions and came up with 2'x2' LED panels. The ceiling is in the basement and drops about 12" from the floor joists. I want the install to be to code. Must I armor the romax to be legal or can I just run it along the joist with the proper romax staples and use these (in the picture) at the appliance?

1528689075939.png

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Depends on your locality. Most places are ok with romex, others (coincides a lot with heavy union presence) require armor or conduit. You can ask the building inspector for the sure answer.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I want the install to be to code.
What is totally legal here for me might not be for your location. So, even checking what the national electrical code book recommends, might not meet your local code. Want to be safe, do as tigerwillow1 suggests and contact your local building inspector, if you have one, we do not where I live, but I still try to keep any electrical work up to residential code. So, most I might suggest is put a junction box on the joist and run some flex down to your lights. A few bucks more but should satisfy the code.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
In most cases you can do the work as a homeowner yourself with proper permits, romex is normally ok , only uses ive seen recently in bx are the runs to hot water heaters that are exposed, exceptions to every rule though, to be safe get the permit for insurance reasons most places should follow the national electric code.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
BX only needed here when you are running through steel studs or joists. Running romex in coduit is no good must be wire without a jacket i think that is everywhere.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Generally I drill holes in the joists at least 1 1/2 inches from their edge to pull the wires , or attach running boards to the joist edges and sometimes install cable trays. I often use these LED lights
1528740045720.png

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-So...e-LED-Flush-Mount-Light-ENERGY-STAR/999918952

WHen running wire parallel to the joists I staple the wires to the joists 1 1/2 inch from the edge that mount directly to a ceiling box with no need for a can. Without seeing a photo it is difficult to totally understand the question.

For what it is worth though
1528747782682.png

about $9.00 at various stores that carry electrical stuff...ie Home Depot, Lowes etc

Something interesting I found last summer on a house I bought from the Government to rehab was that pretty much the whole place was wired with those 16 gauge stranded extension cords that are for sale everywhere. Sure surprised me but there is a lot of stuff like that out there that seemingly works just fine...go figure

Last edited: