• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

homestead, steaks

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Never seen it too cold to start a fire scorp. In fact in the year 1991 it were 50 below 0 when me and my buds were slashing up at Bonneyville and we fired up the barbecue to cook some steaks. Then the Fire engine pulled in as some fooker called them about the smoke[steam]. They did laugh but asked us to call them if we were to do it again. Called them 3 times after that before the cold spell broke. Salt and pepper with good meat is all that is required for great food.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Cast iron skillet with salt in the bottom. Sear edges first then both sides fry to your liking.

PS. Remember the hand meat wellness test.

The Finger Test to Check the Doneness of Meat

MethodHide Photos

Open the palm of your hand. Relax the hand. Take the index finger of your other hand and push on the fleshy area between the thumb and the base of the palm. Make sure your hand is relaxed. This is what raw meat feels like. (Check this out the next time you have a raw steak to cook.)

Now gently press the tip of your pinky and your thumb together. Again feel the fleshy area below the thumb. It should feel quite firm. This is what well done meat feels like when you press on it. (Check this out the next time you overcook a piece of meat.)

Press the tip of your ring finger and your thumb together. The flesh beneath the thumb should give a little more. This is what meat cooked to a medium doneness feels like.

Gently press the tip of your middle finger to the tip of your thumb. This is medium rare.

Press the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb. The fleshy area below the thumb should give quite a bit. This is what meat cooked to rare feels like. Open up your palm again and compare raw to rare.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
^^ now that is useful!!

I like it rare.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My input
Best damned cuts to make a great steak:
  • Ribeye (often referred to as delmonico)
    • best overall flavor and one of the most forgiving cuts
    • you can make a mistake and overcook this steak and chances are it will still be tender and flavorful
    • (don't try that with a top round or shoulder steak)
  • Sirloin strip/porterhouse/tbone
    • the top section of the porterhouse/tbone steak is the exact same cut as sirloin strip. The bottom section is the tenderloin/filet mignon.
    • Porterhouse contain includes a larger tenderloin section but a narrower and slightly less tender sirloin strip section
    • As you go forward on the loin section of the animal towards the rib section, the tenderloin section shrinks in size while the sirloin strip section becomes fatter and more tender.
    • Rule of thumb is if you like the strip steak by tbone/if you like tenderloin but porterhouse
  • Tenderloin/filet mignon
    • IMHO over hyped and over priced
    • very tender cut but tends to have less flavor of any of the above
    • can easily be ruined by overcooking as their is minimal fat in this cut to retain the flavor
  • Sirloin tips
    • This cut used to be found as the 'tail' part of the porterhouse/tbone steak
    • on it's own it used to be used for grinding
    • back about 20 or so years ago the meat business began removing this cut from the beef loin and marketing it as it's own separate cut of beef
    • This cut can be very tasty and tender, or it can be very bland and eat like an old shoe. The difference is in the marbling
      • A light pink color with lots of 'fine and grainy' marbling is what you want when choosing sirloin tips. This cut is not for those who only look for 'lean meat'. Moreover larger pockets of fat running all through the meat is not what you want either. The grain should be fine and evenly distributed through the meat, like this:
    • 1572190032354.png
  • What's the secret for cooking a great steak?
    • salt, pepper and garlic power for seasonings (you want to taste the meat, not the sauce)
    • *important* Always initially sear the meat over high heat to seal in the juices for a couple of minutes on each side
      • Failure to do this will likely result in a lot of the juicy goodness and flavor to leach out of the steak as that grainy fat melts. You want to retain as much of that in the steak as you can. Searing the steak first creates a outer shell that tends to hold those juices inside
      • Once seared lower the temperature to medium and cook the steak slowly, flipping it multiple times to ensure even cooking
      • Once the meat is done to your liking (see Uglytruth's post above) remove and let it 'rest' for about 5 minutes. This process allows for the juices that were released inside the meat to be reabsorbed into the tissue rather then draining out into your plate when you cut into it
The last thing I'll add is beef steers are like humans. They're all different but if you know what to buy you'll always be satisfied with your steaks.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I do it a little different than shoot does his. I am a ribeye fan, it is the only steak that I really care for.
I understand that my process comes from Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, but who really knows.
Put a dry (no oil) cast iron skillet in the oven & set temp to 500 deg's, let them come up to temp. together.
Meanwhile salt & pepper your Ribeye ( 1 inch thick) to taste.
After the oven has come to 500 deg's, remove the skillet & place it on your largest cook top burner at full heat.
Do not turn oven off.
Place the ribeye in the skillet for 1 minute, then turn it over for 1 more minute. It will be nicely seared.
Back in the oven for 2 minutes & turn it over for the last 2 minutes. This will be a medium rare steak, adjust time to meet your taste.
Place ribeye on a plate & cover with alum. foil for 2 minutes.
ENJOY !
ribeye.png

1572194173669.png

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
How I do NY strip 1 inch thick

Pull from fridge poke all over with fork, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and rub in. Allow the steak to come to room temp. Put on very hot grill, 500 to 600 degrees. each side gets 4 minutes. More if the piece just came out of the fridge perhaps five minutes.

How to age beef in your own fridge.
https://www.wikihow.com/Age-Beef

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I grill my steaks year round on a webber smoky joe. After a snow storm I make sure I clear the area on my deck to it.
My honey has a client that makes a spice combo for steak thats the balls.
She gave me the recipe for a large batch she makes. I never made it myself . She gives me a small container every month or so.

1 cup course sea salt
1/2cup dried oregano
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup red pepper flakes
1/4cup garlic powder
1/2 cup dried onion

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My preferred steak is ribeye cut to 1 1/4". If I can get dry aged, 10x's the better. Salt (himalayan or real salt) and fresh ground black pepper. I use any fruit or nut hardwood I have available. Grill to desired doneness. A good meat thermometer takes a lot of the guess work out of the doneness.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Interested in what you guys have for red meat steaks, preps and seasonings to get the best steak possible, sometimes we cannot grill around here as it is far too cold, so other preps like broiling would also be great TIA
My gas grill is broke down and needs a complete rebuild of "innerds". So I've been broiling meats in the oven this summer.
Two Rubs I like are FAMOUS DAVE'S RIB RUB and KROGER - PRIVATE SELECTION- TEXAS *Inspired* SEASONING RUB - BOLD & SMOKY.( This can really be any rub with mesquite as one of the top four ingredients).
I use both for any pork or beef cut just depending on what I want as flavor.
Even when I get Prime Beef I put a patty or two of butter on the meat along with salt and pepper if you like ( Mrs like this way).
Mrs likes Well Done so her meats are broiled 6-7 minutes per side.
On the flip - I move the broiler plate to the side and dip the uncooked side into the drippings and place the already cooked side down.
The Mrs. likes to put another patty or two of butter and salt & pepper on the uncooked side as the meat goes in for the final time frame.
Mine, I like Med. Rare 5-6 minutes per side for cuts 1" -1 1/2" thick. Adjust time to thickness. Thinner less time, thicker more time.
I use the above rubs, salt and pepper before butter patties are put on the meat. Be generous unless you like just a hint of flavor.
#1 RULE; Under cooked can always go back into the oven. Overcooked - you are screwed -( Sauce the shit out of it. IMO).

Tenderloin/filet mignon
  • IMHO over hyped and over priced
  • very tender cut but tends to have less flavor of any of the above
  • can easily be ruined by overcooking as their is minimal fat in this cut to retain the flavor
Beef Tenderloin/ Filet Mignon are pulled from old Dairy Cows and Bulls as the rest of those meats are processed for hamburger grinds.
The tenderloin meat does the least amount of work in the entire body of the animal and why it is so tender. Most cooks /restaurants wrap these steaks with bacon strips or cook in butter/ garlic butter, and only for enough time to brown the exterior of the meat. Cooked Rare to Medium Rare is the best for this steak. The closer you like it to done / well done the tougher the steak will be due to the meat having no fat content to speak of.
Fats make steak tender and flavorful. Beef tenderloin/ Filet mignon relies on outside sources for flavor, Butter or Bacon.

One other trick I've used in the past but not lately is to marinate beef steaks with LEA & PERRINS WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE before broiling, about an hour before or overnight if you think about it. The longer the better.
Cooking hamburgers in Lea & Perrins is also a good flavor. Mix into the meat, let sit awhile then patty out and fry or broil.

Hope this give you some ideas.

Last edited:

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
when it is zero degrees out and snow everywhere, the grill has a hard time maintaining a high temp, even with all 4 burners crankin'

that is part of the why,

the other part is to be different from what I have always done, your typical seasoning and nothing else.

whereas traveling around, people are doing some real cool things with meats, and it is outstanding when you find someone that nails it. Figured for sure there would be guys here who have tried this and that.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A delmonico isnt a ribeye. Its cut from the end of a chuck roll. sometimes there will be 1-3 on the end of the roll, sometimes not.
true, delmonico was the name given to that cut which begins transitioning from the chuck to the rib. Over time people started calling ribeye steak demonico. They would call their favorite cut what ever the meat label said. As a meat cutter I would take those cuts from the chuck and take them home for stew meat price rather than ribeye price but quite frankly they were never quite as tasty and tender as a ribeye but the kids never knew the difference

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
A delmonico isnt a ribeye. Its cut from the end of a chuck roll. sometimes there will be 1-3 on the end of the roll, sometimes not.
On BEEF anatomy they are cuts next to each other.
Delmonicos are at the start of the beef loin, Clubs and Ribeyes are just before the loin in the ribs.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I actually prefer the delmonico cut, it seems to have a bit more fat. Like you, I like the price, as compared to what comes off a ribeye roll. Aside from tritip, it is my favorite cut.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
On BEEF anatomy they are cuts next to each other.
Delmonicos are at the start of the beef loin, Clubs and Ribeyes are just before the loin in the ribs.
Right I get all that. I used to cut meat.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
YUP, a ribeye is a steak, cut from a prime rib roast, with or without the bone.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As a meat cutter I would take those cuts from the chuck and take them home
A good sharp knife and one can pull boneless ribeye steak at prices less than rib steak prices. Thick enough roast two steaks and like t_s sez stew meat for one cheaper price.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
YUP, a ribeye is a steak, cut from a prime rib roast, with or without the bone.
Which brings up a point, bone in, or boneless?

I prefer boneless, simply because i hate the idea of buying something by weight (the bone) that I cant eat..........

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Breaking down a beef carcass is becoming a lost art in this industrial age of meat processing.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I prefer boneless, simply because i hate the idea of buying something by weight (the bone) that I cant eat..........
If ya got a dog he gets a treat. Just sayin'

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
what species of cow did you work with? I started back in '75 working strictly with hanging beef. I was in the business until 1998 when I went into the IT business. There wasn't much hanging beef left in the northeast markets by the time I got out. We were working with all cryovac, boxed beef primals. Delmonico steaks were originally the cut between the chuck and the large end of the rib

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I can do it both ways, rolls or in the round. We butchered a steer a few weeks ago. Indeed, most cant pull it off, and dont know how to run a meat hook. He (it) was a black angus.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Which brings up a point, bone in, or boneless?

Ya, BUT, I have a family member that loves a prime rib/ribeye bone, rare to med. rare. :secret:

GENIE W  PRIME RIB BONE.jpg

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Breaking down a beef carcass is becoming a lost art in this industrial age of meat processing.
I can still do it with my eyes closed, except that I could only do one hanging round a day now! :rage 1

It sucks to get old

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
MMMM, nice
I can do it both ways, rolls or in the round. We butchered a steer a few weeks ago. Indeed, most cant pull it off, and dont know how to run a meat hook. He (it) was a black angus.
MMMM, nice!

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I can still do it with my eyes closed, except that I could only do one hanging round a day now! :rage 1

It sucks to get old
I don't know if I could do it with my eyes closed. I might lose a finger. But Yeah, I can relate.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't know if I could do it with my eyes closed. I might lose a finger. But Yeah, I can relate.
If I left my eyes opened I could do the whole hind quarter, retailed out, wrapped and into the freezer including shipping the bones to Taezzer's 'dog' :dduck:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Thats the beauty of cutting your own meat, then its not a race. in retail i could run thru rolls faster than anyone I ever cut meat with. In the barn we just take our time, drink some beer, smoke some weed, and always have the grill going.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Thats the beauty of cutting your own meat, then its not a race. in retail i could run thru rolls faster than anyone I ever cut meat with. In the barn we just take our time, drink some beer, smoke some weed, and always have the grill going.
I'm always stuck carving the turkey every year because my family is convinced it takes 20 years experience cutting up dead cows to properly disassemble a freakin turkey

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I'm always stuck carving the turkey every year because my family is convinced it takes 20 years experience cutting up dead cows to properly disassemble a freakin turkey
Yup me too.......

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Whatever you do, don’t buy aged steaks...unless you like that rotten taste/smell that is.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
@Scorp, what about one of those big green egg type grills. Seems like it would hold in the heat better if it’s too cold.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Whatever you do, don’t buy aged steaks...unless you like that rotten taste/smell that is.
There's a huge difference between aged beef and an old smelly steak. I agree old smelly steaks taste like sewerage and can smell like an old waste dumpster. Properly aged beef doesn't taste or smell old at all.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
There's a huge difference between aged beef and an old smelly steak. I agree old smelly steaks taste like sewerage and can smell like an old waste dumpster. Properly aged beef doesn't taste or smell old at all.
To my tongue, there’s not much difference.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My late MIL asked me to carve the Thanksgiving day turkey the first year I was in the family. A few years later she asked if I'd cook the turkey ( the entire family cooks til the breast is dry). I like moist white meat so I fixed the bird.
Thirty plus years later I cook the bird and carve the bird for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
It is so ingrained into the family now that my BIL buys the bird and sends it home with the Mrs. if I don't happen to go to the family house with her in the weeks leading into the holiday.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
salt, pepper well done A1

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling