• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

homestead, steaks

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My late MIL asked me to carve the Thanksgiving day turkey the first year I was in the family. A few years later she asked if I'd cook the turkey ( the entire family cooks til the breast is dry). I like moist white meat so I fixed the bird.
Thirty plus years later I cook the bird and carve the bird for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
It is so ingrained into the family now that my BIL buys the bird and sends it home with the Mrs. if I don't happen to go to the family house with her in the weeks leading into the holiday.
Me too, I smoke mine in our Weber. The meat is juicy & the skin is well browned.
turkey BBQ.png

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Anyone ever try smoking steaks?

I have never heard of it - but, I figure if you can smoke a brisket - why not a steak?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Anyone ever try smoking steaks?

I have never heard of it - but, I figure if you can smoke a brisket - why not a steak?
I smoke pork & fowl, but beef steak, IDK.
How would you keep it rare?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I smoke pork & fowl, but beef steak, IDK.
How would you keep it rare?
I don't think you can keep it rare. The smoking is cooking .
The best I can think of is using mesquite or your favorite smoking wood and just grill it.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That is a great looking bird Taezz.
Thanks. We rescued him 15 years ago & he is around 45/47 ish years old. He has become "family" & is seldom in a cage.
JEANNIE AT THE WHEEL  21 MAY 08 013 (Small).jpg

GENIE & DUCKS.jpg

TOUGH GUY.jpg

JEANNIE  NEW HOME  7 MAY 2007 002 - Copy.png

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Last edited:

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I just use garlic on steaks & grill med-rare for me & med-well for Mrs.
Just finished 1" thick hand cut loin pork chops. Olive oil brushed & Tony Chachare's (sp) Cajun spice. Fantastic, tender & juicy.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
What about bombs / droppings in the house ?
I know you will believe this, with my attitude here,
We have taught him to poop on command, really. The command is "Pay Your Taxes". People all love it when I tell them.
OK, so he sits with us watching TV & when necessary, he goes over to the edge & pays his taxes & comes back to us.
He travels well with us wherever we go.

PHOTO'S 054 - Copy.jpg

Asleep in the motorhome, somewhere in Kansas
2015 APRIL THRU MAY 065 - Copy.jpg

Touring my friend's junkyard in Kansas

genie in junkyard - Copy.png

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know you will believe this, with my attitude here,
We have taught him to poop on command, really. The command is "Pay Your Taxes". People all love it when I tell them.
OK, so he sits with us watching TV & when necessary, he goes over to the edge & pays his taxes & comes back to us.
He travels well with us wherever we go.

View attachment 144616

Asleep in the motorhome, somewhere in Kansas
View attachment 144617

Touring my friend's junkyard in Kansas

View attachment 144618
He's a handsome boy for sure!!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
like I said, figured ya'll would know your red meats!

:beer:
We are a well spectrumed lot. Carpentry, IT, numi's, truckers, butchers and one guy even claims to be a mechanic!

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
38 cents at our local HEB. Probably heavily processed but just a little bit on the side (not drenched) adds a nice flavor. My heavily budgeted parents in the 60's would splurge on it when they got steaks. We would each get one bite with our 2 hot dogs. This does bring back memories so it's probably not as tasty to most people.

1572226199340.png

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
boy, that is a list that can go on for pages,
which is part of the fun of this place, the experiences and the skills all have makes one helluva group
Cripes, we even have one poster that's a Spanish speaking bear with a Russian accent! That alone is worth the price of admission.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
38 cents at our local HEB. Probably heavily processed but just a little bit on the side (not drenched) adds a nice flavor. My heavily budgeted parents in the 60's would splurge on it when they got steaks. We would each get one bite with our 2 hot dogs. This does bring back memories so it's probably not as tasty to most people.

View attachment 144628
Chanterelles sauteed in butter & garlic, to the point that the garlic starts to brown, are a million % better than any canned shit. And healthier too ! :gracious:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Chanterelles sauteed in butter & garlic, to the point that the garlic starts to brown, are a million % better than any canned shit. And healthier too ! :gracious:
Agreed 100%. We never buy or eat any processed foods. Who knows what they put in that shit?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
And portabella's soaked in balsamic vinegar tastes like the most tender steak in the world.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
I agree and I sometimes go there or button because they go on sale often. I don't buy morels but I will accept them as gifts. It's just easy to pour my childhood flavor in a bowl and heat power level 5 for 30 seconds.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I agree and I sometimes go there or button because they go on sale often. I don't buy morels but I will accept them as gifts.
I quit picking Morels, I think they are overrated.
MORELS 15 APR 2016..  1.png

I much prefer chanterells
4 Nov 18 Chanties.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Thick cut bone in ribeye on my AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill. I can hit 650-700 degrees with lump charcoal.
When the temp is maxing out after 40 minutes or so I throw these on and blast them 5 minutes per side, then remove and let sit for 5 minutes.
You dress up your baked potato and cut a slab of garlic bread while you let the steaks rest.
Like most here I keep it simple. I let the steaks warm to room temp wrapped in a towel and for seasoning I use lowrays seasoned salt, black pepper and granulated garlic that I mix with dried parsley.

Indoor pan fried steaks in winter I use boneless regular cut ribeyes or sirloin with the same seasoning. To cook them I have one of those grill pans and a rectangle cast iron meat press. I get the pan hot, throw the steaks on and press with the weight to sear and let it sit on the steaks, moving it every minute so the steaks get pressed evenly. Cook for 5 minutes per side. When doing this it's loud and smoky and makes a mess of the stove but damn the steaks are good! I put the stove vent fan on high and put a fan in the window blowing out and that dissipates the smell pretty good.

Now I'm hungry.

RS4.jpg
RS2.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I put the stove vent fan on high and put a fan in the window blowing out and that dissipates the smell pretty good.
Yeah & now yer neighbors are hungry ! :2 thumbs up::oriental:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I throw these on and blast them 5 minutes per side, then remove and let sit for 5 minutes.
VERY IMPORTANT PART RIGHT THERE. Let the meat rest for about 5 minutes before eating.
It allows the interior juices to cool and meat fiber to relax, some juice will ease out as it cools and gives the meat another moment of self tenderizing. Plus creates a little Au Jou for dipping into.

Treetop

Seeker
Seeker
Peanut oil is what we use in our deep fryer for Speckled Trout {Weakfish, on the East coast) and shrimp or anything else that needs deep frying! Treetop.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Peanut oil is what we use in our deep fryer for Speckled Trout {Weakfish, on the East coast) and shrimp or anything else that needs deep frying! Treetop.
no shit? tx coast most of my life, never heard that. where do/did you fish for trout? galveston bay here

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I smoked some chuck roasts a few weeks ago on the weber smoker. I can run that thing anytime of the year and once you set your temp it will hold 250-275 for hours. If you opened all the vents you could probably get it hot enough to grill a steak although I have never done it. Usually just faster to fire up the grill. If it's -50 outside I wont be out there cooking steaks. Thats chili season there.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Look up reverse sear on da net. Smoke slowly in pellet grill till 140 degrees in center, pull off, turn grill up to 500 degrees, sear both sides, and YUM! Works great with ribeye or NY strips.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
What about bombs / droppings in the house ?
If you're a bird brain... you get used to it. They sit on your shoulder and it's on the back of your shirt, or on your head.

We have taught him to poop on command,
Now THAT is one trained bird!!

I had an Australian Rosella for 8 years - that's about all you get. They're about the 2x size of a parakeet. Head is about the size of a quarter... @10in long tip to tail. they're like pigeons in Australia. Fly in groups etc.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.54.36 AM.png

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
GH, that is one beautiful bird.
The "poop training" was a process of patience & took about 2 years.
Now when we let him out of his cage, he first poops, then gets out.
But I do, occasionally, get the stripe down my back. :don't know:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Usually just faster to fire up the grill. If it's -50 outside I wont be out there cooking steaks. Thats chili season there.
Where the hell is it -50 ??? :don't know: