• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

homestead, steaks

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Taezz, I had -38 last winter here

close enough,
Coldest that I can recall here was +12 AND THAT IS AS COLD AS I WANT!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GH, that is one beautiful bird.
The "poop training" was a process of patience & took about 2 years.
Now when we let him out of his cage, he first poops, then gets out.
But I do, occasionally, get the stripe down my back. :don't know:
My mom and I raised a guide dog for Guiding Eyes for the Blind and had to teach it to go to the bathroom on command as well. The phrase used was "get busy!".

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We've been enjoying Costco's USDA PRIME tenderloin. This is vastly superior to the USDA CHOICE filet mignon you will get in the grocery store and the price reflects that. Unlike most tenderloin, which has almost no fat, the PRIME features a fine network of marbling which greatly enhances the flavor. I sear the steaks in a very hot cast iron skillet for about 2 minutes per side, then bring the pan inside and finish in a 350-degree oven. My wife likes rare and I like medium-rare. The tenderness is equalled by the exquisite flavor. If the steaks are too thick I will butterfly them or just make 2 thinner "medallions of beef" out of one thick filet.

We also used some on a tenderloin pizza which was stellar. We used fresh dough, mushrooms, garlic, onions, sauteed tenderloin bits, taragon and sharp cheddar cheese. I thought we would need some kind of underlying sauce but it was plenty moist enough.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We've been enjoying Costco's USDA PRIME tenderloin. This is vastly superior to the USDA CHOICE filet mignon you will get in the grocery store and the price reflects that. Unlike most tenderloin, which has almost no fat, the PRIME features a fine network of marbling which greatly enhances the flavor. I sear the steaks in a very hot cast iron skillet for about 2 minutes per side, then bring the pan inside and finish in a 350-degree oven. My wife likes rare and I like medium-rare. The tenderness is equalled by the exquisite flavor. If the steaks are too thick I will butterfly them or just make 2 thinner "medallions of beef" out of one thick filet.

We also used some on a tenderloin pizza which was stellar. We used fresh dough, mushrooms, garlic, onions, sauteed tenderloin bits, taragon and sharp cheddar cheese. I thought we would need some kind of underlying sauce but it was plenty moist enough.
I just bought some COSTCO boneless ribeye, it is the best, now that Safeway discontinued their Rancher's Reserve. When they married with Albertson's, they lost RR & me !

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Randall's down here is part of the Safeway family and I had a butcher there that cut me what I wanted. I'd be there when the Ranchers Reserve went on sale. At Kroger, I look at the pre cut select in the meat section. You can find some nice marbling in the select section, at times. Found a nice 19 lb. prime rib roast that looked pretty darn good for select today. A little extra butter and a bit of horseradish with a nice slow roast and a good malliard sear can give you a nice 16 ounce steak for $4. I take it rare. No question though, boys, treat yourself to prime any time you feel the need. You cannot claim to make the best tasting steak ever using a select cut. Hit Costco up after the New Year. Sometimes they clear out the product at 50% off. I've gotten prime for $6 a pound, but that was 5 years ago. Houston.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
In Marketing beef in the USA "SELECT" is a grade of beef below PRIME and CHOICE.
Growing up in my grandfather's grocery store we NEVER sold beef cuts graded lower than CHOICE.
From USDA web page: "...Select beef is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.

Standard and Commercial grades of beef are frequently sold as ungraded or as store brand meat.
Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades of beef are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and processed products.

More here: https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013/01/28/whats-your-beef-prime-choice-or-select?page=1

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
We just finished putting the steer in the freezer on Sunday. 270lbs of burger and 250lbs of steaks and roasts. We should be set for a long while with that. We do the slaughter and butchering ourselves as its nearly impossible to get in at any of the custom processors around here. Most are out to late Jan early Feb.
I'm kinda shocked no one here seems to like the flat iron steak? It's a really flavorful cut off the arm and is usually cheaper than most other steaks. At the end of the day, I think the most overrated is the sirloin. I never understood the love affair with that cut.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We just finished putting the steer in the freezer on Sunday. 270lbs of burger and 250lbs of steaks and roasts. We should be set for a long while with that. We do the slaughter and butchering ourselves as its nearly impossible to get in at any of the custom processors around here. Most are out to late Jan early Feb.
I'm kinda shocked no one here seems to like the flat iron steak? It's a really flavorful cut off the arm and is usually cheaper than most other steaks. At the end of the day, I think the most overrated is the sirloin. I never understood the love affair with that cut.
1/4 ton of beef. Impressive.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
A few decades ago, between my 2 marriages, I took some girl out to a very nice steak house. I remember her berating the waiter about how well done her steak better be cooked, she actually stated it as a threat. A piece of charcoal showed up on her plate and she demanded Heinz 57 sauce. I remember her chewing and chewing----

Didn't waste anymore time with that one.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm kinda shocked no one here seems to like the flat iron steak?
Flat Irons are a more recent technical cut (2002) of what use to be sold as Shoulder Steak / Roast in the US.
Where I grew up we de-boned the shoulder and tied them into boneless Chuck Roast.
Cutting the membrane out to create the Flat Iron helps make the piece more tender but still not as tender as Rib Steaks, Clubs, T-Bones/Porterhouse cuts.
For us Urban Dwellers who shop instead of processing their beef.
A trick I still use is to look for Chuck Roasts where the cut was close to where Rib Steak starts. Those roasts show a distinct / bigger Eye of Rib muscle close to the middle than the early cuts of a chuck roast.
I buy them at roast prices, take them home, cut "the eye" out and butterfly the piece. Two boneless Rib eye steaks at 3-5 dollars per lbs compared to the 9-16 dollar a pound Rib Eye cut.
The remaining pieces of the roast can be cut up to make great stew or chunky chili pieces/chunks or tied into a smaller boneless chuck roast.
One roast turned into three meals for one, two meals for DINKs, or with kids that don't like eating steak ( Yes, I've seen those young family members)

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Flat Irons are a more recent technical cut (2002) of what use to be sold as Shoulder Steak / Roast in the US.
Where I grew up we de-boned the shoulder and tied them into boneless Chuck Roast.
Cutting the membrane out to create the Flat Iron helps make the piece more tender but still not as tender as Rib Steaks, Clubs, T-Bones/Porterhouse cuts.
For us Urban Dwellers who shop instead of processing their beef.
A trick I still use is to look for Chuck Roasts where the cut was close to where Rib Steak starts. Those roasts show a distinct / bigger Eye of Rib muscle close to the middle than the early cuts of a chuck roast.
I buy them at roast prices, take them home, cut "the eye" out and butterfly the piece. Two boneless Rib eye steaks at 3-5 dollars per lbs compared to the 9-16 dollar a pound Rib Eye cut.
The remaining pieces of the roast can be cut up to make great stew or chunky chili pieces/chunks or tied into a smaller boneless chuck roast.
One roast turned into three meals for one, two meals for DINKs, or with kids that don't like eating steak ( Yes, I've seen those young family members)
I took those home for bnls chuck prices when I got some nice ones with marbling.