• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

How do you keep BEARS out of the CHICKEN coup?

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Mom's got black bears around.(tagged) One got into the chicken coop & killed three chickens last night... right now it's back there cleaning up a couple scraps that my Mom missed. She's hooting and hollering and nothing seems to be effective. My understanding is she put up an electric fence that was turned off at the time.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated

4143~2.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
4162~2.jpg

Not even phased by the hysterical barking dog standing next to the photographer

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Make it into a rug...

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Has she considered a claymore? "This side towards bear."

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
She had called Deep earlier Nd they sent out an officer.
"The Bear was just coming around the coop when the incon officer got here so he saw the bear next to the coop and tried to get him to leave by clapping his hands and yelling and of course Cody was inside barking his head off but the bear didn't move or acknowledge anything. The officer went to get his bean bag gun and when the bear saw him with the gun he started to move faster and went behind Lucy's pen and when the guy tried to get a good shot at him he took off into the woods so we'll have to see if he comes back again. he told me to get the electric fence up as soon as I can and to try the ammonia outside. I am going to put up a scarecrow made of fatigues since that's what this guy had and I think that scared him more than anything. Who knows maybe it will work if it does that means this has happened to him before."

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
High powered BB gun or pellet rifle. Aim for the bear's ass.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
High powered BB gun or pellet rifle. Aim for the bear's ass.
Fyi: I lit off bottle rockets to scare blue jays and had the chief of police on my front lawn and save my ass from the Game Warden. (Chief of police was super cool, woke) Those fuggers(game warden guy) I learned, have HUGE abilities to fark your life up far worse than the popo.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
that is probably because it was not organic or it was a gmo knockoff

the bear spray from the western hills of Arkansas is an epicurean delight
Oh great, CrAcKeR's got me thinkin about headin out to the kitchen again! :p

Who you got for tonight's main event? I'm rooting for Stipe.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We had a bear in the yard, I put up an electric fence and smeared some salmon oil on the wire. Bear licked the wire, haven't seen it since.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Mr Black bear came back early this am and was tearing the siding off the chicken coop.
4196.jpg

Left and came back a few hours later and Encon guy guy came back with his bean bag gun. Bear left but circled back guy was tracking it.

Echoing @Brio she followed dudes advice using peanut butter.

4211~2.jpg

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
the way you 2 leggahs talk, my goodness man

let's look at it from his perspective,
just woke up, nothing growing, not much happenin' and here 'ole grandmaw has some vittles all collected up and waiting,

but the poor bear is so hungry, he decides dirty bird might not be so bad after all,
decides to go ahead on, and eats the darn things raw,

then they is so small, a couple of bites sure isn't going to fix an appetite, so have another

clearly the bear should be left free, and grandmaw should be scolded for penning up dirty birds so as not to give them a fighting chance

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
She had called Deep earlier Nd they sent out an officer.
"The Bear was just coming around the coop when the incon officer got here so he saw the bear next to the coop and tried to get him to leave by clapping his hands and yelling and of course Cody was inside barking his head off but the bear didn't move or acknowledge anything. The officer went to get his bean bag gun and when the bear saw him with the gun he started to move faster and went behind Lucy's pen and when the guy tried to get a good shot at him he took off into the woods so we'll have to see if he comes back again. he told me to get the electric fence up as soon as I can and to try the ammonia outside. I am going to put up a scarecrow made of fatigues since that's what this guy had and I think that scared him more than anything. Who knows maybe it will work if it does that means this has happened to him before."

Mostly, I would bet that bear knows and remembers something about the gun firing bean bags.

Smarter than the average bear?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The one thing you cannot do is shoot it.

It is tagged <-- That means the tree-cops keep tabs on its location. If that location does not change (eg: dead bear), they know how to find it. A dude in Northrin Floriduh shot a tagged bear. It cost him his scoped rifle and $10,000 fine. TINS

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Rock salt delivered via shotgun on the rear flanks. That bear might never stop running. Maybe.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The one thing you cannot do is shoot it.

It is tagged <-- That means the tree-cops keep tabs on its location. If that location does not change (eg: dead bear), they know how to find it. A dude in Northrin Floriduh shot a tagged bear. It cost him his scoped rifle and $10,000 fine. TINS
Ding ding ding

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I coincidentally ran into pictures from a similar incident many moons ago.This was long before she got the chickens. It attacked the poor defenceless bird feeder! It never stood a chance.:p

Mom took the pics with a cheap point and shoot. Possibly on separate occasions.
bear2.jpg

bear3.JPG

bear4.JPG

bear scat & feeder.JPG

bear scat.JPG

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just shoot it?

It is obviously conditioned to finding food near humans. Bean bags and electric fences only delay a more serious problem someday.

Would make a nice coat for yer ma.
Once the bear caused property damage and loss of livestock. He is bought and pays for his crimes. No cubs, Must not be a sow. 12 ga. Deer slugs into the skull.
Bear meat for the rest of the year.
Nuisance bears are one thing. You have a bear causing damage and loss of livestock. Game Warden knows what yours are going through. He had his chance to trap it and move it across state, but failed to act.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just shoot it?

It is obviously conditioned to finding food near humans. Bean bags and electric fences only delay a more serious problem someday.

Would make a nice coat for yer ma.
Once the bear caused property damage and loss of livestock. He is bought and pays for his crimes. No cubs, Must not be a sow. 12 ga. Deer slugs into the skull.
Bear meat for the rest of the year.
Nuisance bears are one thing. You have a bear causing damage and loss of livestock. Game Warden knows what yours are going through. He had his chance to trap it and move it across state, but failed to act.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
the way you 2 leggahs talk, my goodness man

let's look at it from his perspective,
just woke up, nothing growing, not much happenin' and here 'ole grandmaw has some vittles all collected up and waiting,

but the poor bear is so hungry, he decides dirty bird might not be so bad after all,
decides to go ahead on, and eats the darn things raw,

then they is so small, a couple of bites sure isn't going to fix an appetite, so have another

clearly the bear should be left free, and grandmaw should be scolded for penning up dirty birds so as not to give them a fighting chance
It's their world, we just live in it.