• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How many weeks of food is this?

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
25 lbs biscuit mix
25 lbs maz torrtilla mix
25 Lbs dry pinto beans
1 large can sausage gravy
1 large can Enchilada sauce
3 packets of country gravy mix

How long you think this would last a family of four for example? I bought some other odds and ends that are not included in my preps and it was under 100 dollars. shtf food.JPG
shtf food.JPG

Last edited:

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Don't know how long, but everything on that list is junk food except the pinto beans. Wheat and corn are the grains to stay away from and the sauce and gravy mixes are full of chemicals.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Don't know how long, but everything on that list is junk food except the pinto beans. Wheat and corn are the grains to stay away from and the sauce and gravy mixes are full of chemicals.
I am not too worried about that. This is for SHTF and in that case it won't be a concern.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My guess would be around 30 days. It depends on your appetite.
But like hoarder says , it is junk food.
Look for freeze dried real food's that you add water to when you cook it on your "camp stove".

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
25 lbs biscuit mix
25 lbs maz torrtilla mix
25 Lbs dry pinto beans

How long you think this would last a family of four for example? I bought some other odds and ends that are not included in my preps and it was under 100 dollars. View attachment 142313 View attachment 142313
Depends on how much you eat per day.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Come on junk food? Mostly staples here and in un made form. The maz can't be junk. A bakery serves biscuits and gravy jack in the box has the junk food.

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
3veryone preps there own way. If you are OK making something out of that for several weeks you are ahead of people who plan for nothing. Me , I need more variety.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Come on junk food? Mostly staples here and in un made form. The maz can't be junk. A bakery serves biscuits and gravy jack in the box has the junk food.
Staples are generally better than processed foods, But wheat and corn are junk, especially if they are GMO and refined, heated, bleached and additives added. I would hoard organic dry beans and organic brown rice. White rice keeps longer but less nutrition. "Enriched" rice means it's laced with MSG (poison). Face it, most store bought foods are slow death. You have to eat defensibly.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Staples are generally better than processed foods, But wheat and corn are junk, especially if they are GMO and refined, heated, bleached and additives added. I would hoard organic dry beans and organic brown rice. White rice keeps longer but less nutrition. "Enriched" rice means it's laced with MSG (poison). Face it, most store bought foods are slow death. You have to eat defensibly.
100% agree. Our diet consists of fresh meats, fresh veggies and fresh grains (not the box stuff) It's harder to store foods like that long term but there have been many great recommendations like yours. Plan your long term food storage appropriately and make it through the tough times which are almost certainly ahead for us all.

Last edited:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The food in your pic would last maybe a couple of weeks for 4 people, my guess.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Throw in some oatmeal almonds and raisins. Cheap enough and good shelf life

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
one word. Spam.

Here is the scenario. 4 people to feed. We can have great nutrition but a cold tasteless. Or.......hot hearty bean soup.

Discussions on nutrition aren't worth squat when bellies aren't full.

Dry Socks. The Best Boots. Hot Chow.

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
25 lbs biscuit mix
25 lbs maz torrtilla mix
25 Lbs dry pinto beans

How long you think this would last a family of four for example? I bought some other odds and ends that are not included in my preps and it was under 100 dollars. View attachment 142313 View attachment 142313
I agree with Hoarder and Taezzar in regards to toxicity and time.
Great you are choosing to set aside a caloric safety buffer.
There are several considerations to make when storing emergency calories.
First: stock what you already consume and rotate stock.
If the SHTF, no need to learn new, eat sufferably, or expend more fuel/energy to prepare.
Best to have your own store in the basement, pantry, garage, or closet.
Second: truly consider nutritional value. When and if SHTF just stress will increase caloric needs. A brain churning burns a lot of food, never mind running, foraging, farming, hunting, being cold, etc etc.
In doing so the body will NEED sufficient vitamin and minerals, processed foods only deplete those.
Third: Research is needed and yourself is a study as well. Know what is food, store real food(not processed) and practice using emergency food you never have before.
Ok, I love camping, hiking, and fishing... combined. Nothing better than driving in to a backwoods camp site, then hiking in to an out of reach brook, lake, or pond and fishing. No rode, No trail, Nobody there except me, Sally the blk lab, and insane brook trout. So I bring in a cooler, daily usuals of eggs, meat, garlic, veggies, butter, etc same as fridge. In dry stock canned salmon & sardines, Pro Bar protein bars, pancake mix, rice chips, chocolate, cookies, canned soup, spices, and dog treats. Sally is fed raw foods no grain in iced cooler. Then in a box is the crap, freeze dried, vac bagged, and dehydrated... plus emergency med kit.
You know what, I never touch the freeze dried or vac bagged, even when hiking in. My dehydrated sure, salmon, deer, blueberries, veggies, etc.
Easy to hike in with filter, min stove, and dehydrated & Sally food and stay a day. The freeze dried may come with me, but with a shelf life of 25+ years... I'll see you then.
What you presented, to me is equivalent to low cost freeze dried. Great, but will you eat it or pay for it and let it spoil, although you can compost it for garden. Not the meaty gravy... racoons & friends.
I have beans and rice glass sealed with oxygen absorbers. Shelf life... infinity I think. Rice I opened after ten years cooked and tasted fresh.
Walnuts with books stating 18month max shelf life same storage tasted like fresh picked after 8 years. Beans, I do not even want to know.
Need to try but gonna wait for 15 years then try each kind; navy, black, and pinto beans. Mylar vac bagged and oxygen absorber packaged.
So much free info out there. I packaged a tiny amount for the tests you read, so I could quickly if need be. Not yet. Not rich or wealthy either.
But I love eating my garden fresh, frozen, or dehydrated, Scottish OG whole salmon fresh or teriyaki dehydrated(Sally goes insane for that), or OG chicken soup with dehydrated broccoli, onion, garlic, carrot, turmeric, kelp, cayenne, parsley, salt, and extra OG chicken sausage or OG hot dog tossed in. This helps rotate my stock of not fresh or fridge.
Check out https://www.vitacost.com for low cost food delivered. Free shipping above $49 ?, 20% first order, and frequently has 12 - 20% order total or sale items. Lots of organic available. Save up and put in a big first order. I did years ago, big enough to have then CEO call to see if I was a business looking to avoid distribution rackets. He did not say that.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I am not too worried about that. This is for SHTF and in that case it won't be a concern.
yeah, in that scenario, I wouldn't be too concerned with whether or not any of the food products were gluten free

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Beans, rice, spam, coffee, salt, sugar, seed vault, hard liquor (for barter/various purposes), canned veggies, and as much fresh water you can store. That should get you started. Make sure to vacuum pack your dry goods and use those de-oxygen packets (can't remember what they are called). Also a good idea to freeze your rice a couple days before subjecting it to your vacu-suck machine.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Also a good idea to freeze your rice a couple days before subjecting it to your vacu-suck machine.
Last week I bought Costco's vac packer ($600) and IT IS GOING BACK TODAY. I am looking at a Sammic SE206 for $1660. Does anyone here have a vac chamber machine?

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Last week I bought Costco's vac packer ($600) and IT IS GOING BACK TODAY. I am looking at a Sammic SE206 for $1660. Does anyone here have a vac chamber machine?
I use a cheap Foodsaver machine I bought second hand. I have a tendency to ruin them by accidentally sucking up blades of rice/coffee grounds/etc so I try not to spend much when the one I'm using eventually craps out.

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Beans, rice, spam, coffee, salt, sugar, seed vault, hard liquor (for barter/various purposes), canned veggies, and as much fresh water you can store. That should get you started. Make sure to vacuum pack your dry goods and use those de-oxygen packets (can't remember what they are called). Also a good idea to freeze your rice a couple days before subjecting it to your vacu-suck machine.

I would hesitate and study the oxygen absorbers construct and process, assuming you are seeking moisture reduction.
Of course that is if you utilize O2 absorbers, which are Fe.
Add H2O and you get Fe02, plain ol' rust locking in the O2.
Without O2 nothing relevant to humans lives.
There is a high temperature ceiling for the absorbers, which releases the oxygen.
Regardless, to be able to gluttonously eat 7 year old dehydrated at home teriyaki salmon...
I look at the broccoli in same qt glass containers and say, "Yep, maybe next... decade".
Vac bags even mylar triple layered with aluminum bags have greater risk of leaks.
Mostly due to transportation.
The couple I did and are my living experiment, went in 5 gallon bucket right after sealing them.

Vlad: I wouldn't be too concerned with whether or not any of the food products were gluten free
Perchance have you see the bloated intestines America recently ?
Such does impeded SHTF physical readiness.
Processed food + gluten = poison, to an extent Gen-X will readily show the long term effect$ thereof.
Being gluten intolerant and quitting gluten 20 years ago... what a difference.
If 'Muricans quit gluten, especially type O blood 'Muricans, we would not be so ugly f-ing fat with joint replacement hobby.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I use a cheap Foodsaver machine I bought second hand. I have a tendency to ruin them by accidentally sucking up blades of rice/coffee grounds/etc so I try not to spend much when the one I'm using eventually craps out.
With not being able to get fresh tuna last year, due to being laid-up with my knee replacement, I had the misfortune of having old tasting tuna, at only 6 months old, using my "FoodSaver" vac packer.
A friend has the high dollar Sammic SE206 & his TWO year old tuna is still quite good. This really taught me a lesson in vac packer quality. Chamber vac's are the only way to go, BUT what is a good/best one ?

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
With not being able to get fresh tuna last year, due to being laid-up with my knee replacement, I had the misfortune of having old tasting tuna, at only 6 months old, using my "FoodSaver" vac packer.
A friend has the high dollar Sammic SE206 & his TWO year old tuna is still quite good. This really taught me a lesson in vac packer quality. Chamber vac's are the only way to go, BUT what is a good/best one ?
Wish I could help you, But I only use the vacu-suck for longer term dry storage (preps). Surely, someone on here would know.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Is this something that's only critical when you're preserving fish, or is it that critical for red meats and vegetables too? I know it doesn't take much exposure for fish to get...fishy.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yeah, I have one. It was given to me by my FIL. I have enough bagging material to vac pac the state of New Hampshire. It works fine for what I use it for which is freezing meats and other foods subject to spoilage. I suppose it would work well for long term storage of dry goods as well. I'm not dropping $1600 shekels, even for a top of the line suck machine!:rage 1

If it's free it's for me!:2 thumbs up:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Add up the caloric content of your food and divide by 2000 calories per day per person.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yeah, I have one. It was given to me by my FIL. I have enough bagging material to vac pac the state of New Hampshire. It works fine for what I use it for which is freezing meats and other foods subject to spoilage. I suppose it would work well for long term storage of dry goods as well. I'm not dropping $1600 shekels, even for a top of the line suck machine!:rage 1

If it's free it's for me!:2 thumbs up:
Well, when you invest what I have in tuna fishing, you want that tuna to stay edible, enjoyably edible, for as long as possible ! $1600 shekels is cheap by comparison, as long as it works right.
BUT I do hate to spend it ! :2 thumbs up:

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
I use 1 1/4 cup of Maize to make 12 street taco size tortillas. A 25lb bag should make hundreds. The trick will be figuring out what you plan to put in them. FYI the large cans of sauces are a bad idea. You'll use 1/4 of them for a good size meal for 4 people and the rest would go bad without refrigeration.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Is this something that's only critical when you're preserving fish, or is it that critical for red meats and vegetables too? I know it doesn't take much exposure for fish to get...fishy.
It is more critical for any sea food & even more so for tuna. As for other meats, it will preserve them much longer & better too. That being said, it stands to reason that other foods will last longer too.
BTW, tuna, on my boat are bled immediately, then gutted & gilled & put on ice, all within 20 minutes of landing them. I will put the quality of my tuna up against anyone !

Tuna will "self bleed" LOLOLOL
1569890076498.png

Tuna tool being made
1569890154411.png

Cleaning tool in use.

tuna tool in use.png

Tuna on ice.
tuna on ice.png

The whole reason for all the work
shashimi.png

Eat yer heart out, Scorp ! :finished:

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
one word. Spam.

Here is the scenario. 4 people to feed. We can have great nutrition but a cold tasteless. Or.......hot hearty bean soup.

Discussions on nutrition aren't worth squat when bellies aren't full.

Dry Socks. The Best Boots. Hot Chow.
I can't eat spam...but I'm sure that after a couple months of near starvation, a can of spam mixed in with some beans in a soupy broth would be like a piece of heaven.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I can't eat spam...but I'm sure that after a couple months of near starvation, a can of spam mixed in with some beans in a soupy broth would be like a piece of heaven.
:spam::spamani:Try cutting it about 1/8 of an inch thick, or a little thicker. Then brown both sides in fry pan, on med/low heat. It is quite tasty this way. Dip it in an over easy egg yolk too. :finished::oriental:

Last edited: