• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How many weeks of food is this?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
For a hundred dollars you could have got a dehydrator and starting drying veggies for stew, maybe can some meat as well. I see carbs, and sauce that will burn my ass when I am trying to shit dough logs.

The only thing there worth a fuck is the beans.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I bought some other odds and ends that are not included in my preps
Great you are choosing to set aside a caloric safety buffer.
There are several considerations to make when storing emergency calories.
First: stock what you already consume and rotate stock.
If the SHTF, no need to learn new, eat sufferably, or expend more fuel/energy to prepare.
Best to have your own store in the basement, pantry, garage, or closet.
Second: truly consider nutritional value. When and if SHTF just stress will increase caloric needs. A brain churning burns a lot of food, never mind running, foraging, farming, hunting, being cold, etc etc.
In doing so the body will NEED sufficient vitamin and minerals, processed foods only deplete those.
Third: Research is needed and yourself is a study as well. Know what is food, store real food(not processed) and practice using emergency food you never have before.
stAGgering has some great info here.
Also mushrooms, nuts & seeds are easily vacuum packed & will last a few years, just rotate them in your diet to keep them fresher.
Dehydrate mushrooms (wild that I pick, see attach. photos) , your favorite veggies & fruits, then vacuum pack them, no need to refrigerate.
I use an Excalibur Food Dehydrator.
mush dehyd.png

In the Excalibur for about 8 hours
mush in dehyd.png

These are saved for a mushroom sauce to put over grilled tuna.
mush for sauce.png

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
stAGgering has some great info here.
Also mushrooms, nuts & seeds are easily vacuum packed & will last a few years, just rotate them in your diet to keep them fresher.
Dehydrate mushrooms (wild that I pick, see attach. photos) , your favorite veggies & fruits, then vacuum pack them, no need to refrigerate.
I use an Excalibur Food Dehydrator.
View attachment 142469

In the Excalibur for about 8 hours
View attachment 142470

These are saved for a mushroom sauce to put over grilled tuna.
View attachment 142471
That's what I need, a food dehydrator. Can anyone here recommend a good one? I'd like to buy one before I buy my next ounce of silver!!~

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That's what I need, a food dehydrator. Can anyone here recommend a good one? I'd like to buy one before I buy my next ounce of silver!!~
I really like my 9 tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator, AND they are Made in the USA !
A bit pricey at $200

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I really like my 9 tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator, AND they are Made in the USA !
A bit pricey at $200
I see that. I don't mind investing capital in something that will produce a valued return. The 9 tray looks like the one to snag. Is this brand considered one of the best for the money?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Cheapos at harbor freight work ok, Cabela's/Bass pro have decent ones.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Cheapos at harbor freight work ok, Cabela's/Bass pro have decent ones.
Cabela's/Bass pro are pricey !
Harbor freight SUCKS, buy something good that will last !
JMHO

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I think this best sums up the solution without trying to alter the individual's eating habits:

If the SHTF, no need to learn new, eat sufferably, or expend more fuel/energy to prepare.
Bottom line:

Stock up on what you already like to eat.

Consume the current stocks and re-supply accordingly.

This is what I do with water.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I would love to do a "Survival Challenge", 4 teams (of 4) in the woods. You can pack in what you can carry in one trip.

Last ones left "alive" win a free weekend at home.

You have 2 hours to get a fire going or you "die" (spark or friction started only. bonus points for any controlled fire started by lightning!)

If you get wet you have 20 minutes to dry or you die

Any broken bones and you die, any cut that gets infected and you die

if we do this in Irons woods, at some point you have to assault his tree house.

extra points if you steal Walt's cannon.

- 6 if you still think "taking over a walmart" is a viable option!

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I would love to do a "Survival Challenge", 4 teams (of 4) in the woods. You can pack in what you can carry in one trip.

You have 2 hours to get a fire going or you "die" (spark or friction started only. bonus points for any controlled fire started by lightning!)

I get to sleep in the van.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

I sir, am focused on capturing Sir Walt's cannon! That will be quite a challenge!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I agree with Hoarder and Taezzar in regards to toxicity and time.
Great you are choosing to set aside a caloric safety buffer.
Second: truly consider nutritional value. When and if SHTF just stress will increase caloric needs. A brain churning burns a lot of food, never mind running, foraging, farming, hunting, being cold, etc etc.
In doing so the body will NEED sufficient vitamin and minerals, processed foods only deplete those.
Third: Research is needed and yourself is a study as well. Know what is food, store real food(not processed) and practice using emergency food you never have before.
Ok, I love camping, hiking, and fishing... combined. Nothing better than driving in to a backwoods camp site, then hiking in to an out of reach brook, lake, or pond and fishing. No rode, No trail, Nobody there except me, Sally the blk lab, and insane brook trout. So I bring in a cooler, daily usuals of eggs, meat, garlic, veggies, butter, etc same as fridge. In dry stock canned salmon & sardines, Pro Bar protein bars, pancake mix, rice chips, chocolate, cookies, canned soup, spices, and dog treats. Sally is fed raw foods no grain in iced cooler. Then in a box is the crap, freeze dried, vac bagged, and dehydrated... plus emergency med kit.
You know what, I never touch the freeze dried or vac bagged, even when hiking in. My dehydrated sure, salmon, deer, blueberries, veggies, etc.
Easy to hike in with filter, min stove, and dehydrated & Sally food and stay a day. The freeze dried may come with me, but with a shelf life of 25+ years... I'll see you then.
What you presented, to me is equivalent to low cost freeze dried. Great, but will you eat it or pay for it and let it spoil, although you can compost it for garden. Not the meaty gravy... racoons & friends.
I have beans and rice glass sealed with oxygen absorbers. Shelf life... infinity I think. Rice I opened after ten years cooked and tasted fresh.
Walnuts with books stating 18month max shelf life same storage tasted like fresh picked after 8 years. Beans, I do not even want to know.
Need to try but gonna wait for 15 years then try each kind; navy, black, and pinto beans. Mylar vac bagged and oxygen absorber packaged.
So much free info out there. I packaged a tiny amount for the tests you read, so I could quickly if need be. Not yet. Not rich or wealthy either.
But I love eating my garden fresh, frozen, or dehydrated, Scottish OG whole salmon fresh or teriyaki dehydrated(Sally goes insane for that), or OG chicken soup with dehydrated broccoli, onion, garlic, carrot, turmeric, kelp, cayenne, parsley, salt, and extra OG chicken sausage or OG hot dog tossed in. This helps rotate my stock of not fresh or fridge.
Check out https://www.vitacost.com for low cost food delivered. Free shipping above $49 ?, 20% first order, and frequently has 12 - 20% order total or sale items. Lots of organic available. Save up and put in a big first order. I did years ago, big enough to have then CEO call to see if I was a business looking to avoid distribution rackets. He did not say that.
Now Im hungry.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Last edited:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'll betcha Taezzar will some you some dried tuna
Hmmm, I freeze it, can it, smoke it, grill it, and make Shashimi. But dry it ? I guess I should try that too, but just a little in case it ain't no f'g good !!!
Just dried a bunch of Chanterelles, they taste like mushroom potato chips.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
that meme is perfectly apropo of how uncouth you 2 leggahs are,

if that were me speaking it would have went like this............

young lady, while that salmon looks very nice, I do believe it was seal on the menu this evening,

Thank you

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
that meme is perfectly apropo of how uncouth you 2 leggahs are,

if that were me speaking it would have went like this............

young lady, while that salmon looks very nice, I do believe it was seal on the menu this evening,

Thank you
Our resident diplomat !!

:oriental::belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh::dduck::dduck::dduck::gracious:

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Note to self....lube exhaust fan in bathroom with graphite.
At that point, you will be digging cat holes in the yard, until you cobble together an outhouse...

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
No matter how much food you stock up on, be sure to stock twice as much TP.... You're :welcome:!

Oh, and do not stock up on rice and beans unless you already normally eat them. (Voice of experience and Y2K)

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
First off, everything you list are SIDE DISHES. No big deal, but you don't list any proteins (meat, eggs, dairy). The amount you showed us?

It might feed four adults for three to four weeks. IF you HAD to eat great steaks for every meal for a month (30 days +) you would be really tired of eating a great steak for every meal for a month (90 meals x four adults?) yeah, not so much fun after about the second or third week.

And if don't already know how to make the two meals you mentioned, you should practice MAKING biscuits and tortillas. It's not hard, AFTER you have practiced and made each of them successfully. The last thing you need is to try and make either of these meals for the first time when you and the other three adults are very hungry waiting on you to make it for them. Not a time to do it incorrectly, trying to fix it (and watching the first or second batch get thrown out).

While you could make a meal out of biscuits and gravy OR tortillas and beans (I have many times), given no refrigeration, you will be making larger portions and you will eat them for three meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) or until your 4 adults have eaten it all.

You can get canned meat in all sorts of fashions. Ham, spam, tuna, chicken. And I concur that this is something that is NOT the way to go, unless you already eat both biscuits and gravy or beans and tortillas, etc

Otherwise, consider starting your pantry now. Store WHAT YOU EAT NOW. See those blue tubs on the floor? Full of beans, rice, flour, sugar. That we go through regularly. See the far left set of shelves? Bottom left shelf of those shows where we store matches. Gotta be able to have fire when ever you want it or need it.

Pantry Pix 2a.jpg

In case you have not done tortillas, they are easy to make, but having a tortilla press makes it way easier to make. Again, if you have not made biscuits or tortillas from scratch, learn how to now. And make sure you stock what you need to do so. We've taken baking classes to make croissants (mmm CHOCOLATE CROISSANTS). Nothing like hot fresh croissants to serve with the meat of your choice (you can freeze dry lots of meats)...

Good luck.

I feel we have to the end of 2020 to get it all together. Because a lot of people I respect and have listened to have all said that 2021 will be a year of 'great change'...

8 minutes with Glenn Beck - worth listening to. Harry Dent recently sold his home this year (2019). We sold BOTH our homes in 2016. Still trying to find that 'last home'... got the money in the bank, but have not found what we are looking for yet.

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
What kind of place are you looking for wallew, I got some stuff for sale..........might be to your liking.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
One more item - I don't have one yet but it's on my short list. I've got most everything else.

https://harvestright.com/

Now about that survival challenge. I arrive in my deuce and a half pulling my Kitchen trailer and if I'm really ambition, attach my 10kw generator to the back of the kitchen trailer.

And that is how I travel. I'm seriously considering a M109 rear box to replace the bed.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/38111/dried-beans.html
Here you can get bulk beans for about a buck a pound. For a family of 4 thats 365 bucks for a years supply at a lb of beans per day. That should keep you alive.
The store I got this all from sells a bag of beans for 20 bucks and you get 50 lbs. I only bough the smaller bag as I was not prepared to store 50 lbs that time. I have more of the same as seen in the photo and other foods too. But I stay with the basics and only add a can of fruit or something. Will we get board with the food? Sure but food in an emergency does not even have to taste good. The fact you have it should be enough.

Last edited:

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Vlad,

See those large blue rubber maid containers? They are each full of beans, rice, flour - two tubs each. As long as they are stored in a cool dry place, they keep a really long time. But I live in an arid climate (Denver and right now in W. Texas).

As I've been saying for a couple of decades (since BEFORE Y2K)... stack it wide and deep. DON'T FORGET TO STORE WATER... clean, disease free, water will be worth more than GOLD.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Vlad,

See those large blue rubber maid containers? They are each full of beans, rice, flour - two tubs each. As long as they are stored in a cool dry place, they keep a really long time. But I live in an arid climate (Denver and right now in W. Texas).

As I've been saying for a couple of decades (since BEFORE Y2K)... stack it wide and deep. DON'T FORGET TO STORE WATER... clean, disease free, water will be worth more than GOLD.
Got water here and at bug out location. I'd like to have more but got all I can store at this time. I love biscuits and gravy and have eaten the Tortilla mix and tho I have a tortilla press I can't seem to press them out like the store. Fact is I plan to serve it as a maz biscuit with beans, rice and some sauce so long as I have some to put out.

Have canned meats but the meat will be a sparse addition to the dishes. Saving this stuff to keep my family alive we don't have to like it we just have to eat it and see about gathering what we can from the land. I am at a point now where I don't have any more space for any more stuff to store. I don't think I have enough but no further space to store more.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Got water here and at bug out location. I'd like to have more but got all I can store at this time. I love biscuits and gravy and have eaten the Tortilla mix and tho I have a tortilla press I can't seem to press them out like the store. Fact is I plan to serve it as a maz biscuit with beans, rice and some sauce so long as I have some to put out.

Have canned meats but the meat will be a sparse addition to the dishes. Saving this stuff to keep my family alive we don't have to like it we just have to eat it and see about gathering what we can from the land. I am at a point now where I don't have any more space for any more stuff to store. I don't think I have enough but no further space to store more.
Vlad,

Sounds like you are on the right track. And having a pantry will put you head and shoulders above most others.

Just a bit of practice and you should be good to go...