• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How to replace 'Google' in your life.

I use 'DuckDuckgo' as my default search engine and Mozilla over Chrome now.

What are good replacements for Google Docs and Gmail? GSuite? Does anyone not use Google at all?

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
It's hard to not use them at all and pretty much impossible to stay totally away from hard left progressive companies when using tech. I use DuckDuckGo too but isn't Mozilla as hard left as Google?

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Even if you avoid all Google products on the internet, Google has such a reach into many sites, software and organizations that you just can't avoid them. They have front companies that buy data for them from other companies. They subscribe to nearly every data source if they can't collect it themselves. Your state and local governments gladly sell your data to them. Never mind how much you give up unwittingly or unknowingly.

The US DoJ is expected to file an anti-trust lawsuit against Google in the next few weeks. Word is that they want to break Google into several parts: data collection, search engine, spin off sites like YouTube, etc. and force the components to disclose what information they have on the consumer much like the credit reporting agencies were forced to do.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
i tried living without google for a month or so...it sucked

i couldn't find half of what I was looking for...go and use google, there it all is

Google has it's game wrapped up, too bad they're evil

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I use the duck too, at times, and even with them I get pop up ads of things I've looked at. Nowhere is safe...VPN helps along with TOR.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Even if you avoid all Google products on the internet, Google has such a reach into many sites, software and organizations that you just can't avoid them. They have front companies that buy data for them from other companies. They subscribe to nearly every data source if they can't collect it themselves. Your state and local governments gladly sell your data to them. Never mind how much you give up unwittingly or unknowingly.

The US DoJ is expected to file an anti-trust lawsuit against Google in the next few weeks. Word is that they want to break Google into several parts: data collection, search engine, spin off sites like YouTube, etc. and force the components to disclose what information they have on the consumer much like the credit reporting agencies were forced to do.
I couldn't believe how many times they called my office to "verify" our business data. You'd think they would get the message after hanging up. But computers dont care, no big deal to have a phone slammed on them.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The biggest problem is the base phone. If you have an android or chromebook then you have no chance. And there are no decent options.

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Presearch. Great search engine, no tracking. And you can earn some crypto.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
IF YOU ARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA, you are giving all your info away from being on social media. SO THE FIRST THING YOU HAVE TO DO IS GET OFF SOCIAL MEDIA, because if you do not, NONE OF THESE SUGGESTIONS MATTER. You do remember BEFORE 2007 when the first iPhone was released. That is when it all started.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's what I have been doing...

DUCK DUCK GO - since 2011 when it was introduced...

BRAVE instead of Firefox (quicker and your data is not exposed or sold) for the past six months (first of the year) - do I have to say STAY AWAY FROM CHROME (GOOGLE) AND FROM Internet Explorer (Microsoft). And damn near all the other browsers even Firefox because they are vacuuming up all the data they can get their hands on?

MAILBIRD is the email handler I switched to but it does have a one time fee (less than $100) - the days of FREE browers and email handlers is rapidly coming to a close IF you want as much privacy as you can get - IF you don't care about your privacy, then never mind. What is your privacy worth to you?

VPN - yes with this caveat - I basically only visit two forums. BOTH of them sell the search in the forums TO GOOGLE

YES THIS SITE IS ONE OF THE TWO - the other site is HKPRO. Limit the sites you visit and the time you spend ON those sites.

I stopped shopping on Ebay and I NEVER USE PAYPAL ANYMORE and just pay with USPS money orders when I buy things online (not often these days), IF at all possible. Generally means a trip to the post office where I get the MO and priority ship it out all at the same time.

I stopped shopping on Amazon - interestingly you can find what you are looking for with Amazon or Ebay on REAL COMPANIES and then contact them DIRECTLY and cut Ebay and Amazon OUT of the equation entirely. Cuts them out of the transaction and the company does NOT have to pay them a small cut of the fee you paid them - they keep it all and they appreciate it. It does mean that SOMETIMES I don't buy something from a seller on those two sites (Ebay & Amazon). It's worth the trade offs.

Just did that recently and found a NEW company selling parts for a couple of my Storm im3300 gun cases (made by Pelican). Got wheels and interior foam for two cases (wheels were shot). Called the company, paid with my CC and NO EBAY (NO PAYPAL) and NO AMAZON. And I posted that company AND a secondary company on a thread I created HERE on GIM2.

https://goldismoney2.com/threads/new-guy-on-the-gunfoam-block.378115/

You can actually shop online and NOT give any of the big guys your money. It just means YOU HAVE TO EXPEND some energy to find them and then contact.

The reason companies like Ebay and Amazon exist is online shoppers are LAZY. Couple of clicks while you give away your shopping patterns to people who you don't want them to know.

AND I'M CONSIDERING GOING TO TOR... just have not pulled the trigger on it. YET.

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

What are good replacements for Google Docs and Gmail? GSuite? Does anyone not use Google at all?
StartPage.com search engine.

Proton Mail.

Proton VPN.

OpenOffice office suite.

Yeah, stuck with an Android phone, but I do nothing with it owned or operated by Google. Location is never turned on. And I'd rather throw the phone in the lake than use Google Assistant or Google Voice. (Yes I know, Google still tracks my phone, but if not them, Apple will do it.)

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My recommendations:

I use Duckduckgo. I have a dumbphone that I actively use only. I switched from Google Maps to a Garmin GPS. I use LibreOffice and if for some reason I can't get a file to open properly, I have Office 2016 isolated in a Virtual Machine. I use Windows in a Virtual Machine for "higher risk" activities. Protonmail is very good and I have an account, but I use a private hosted account I have had for more than a decade. If I did ever go to an Android phone again, I would figure out how to open up the phone and remove the GPS antenna.

I think VPNs are pretty much worthless nowadays, despite how they are being promoted by the prepper/patriot crowd, that is unless you are in a country that censors like Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, etc. The information is being collected and sold on the back-end. From that perspective, it doesn't really matter if your data is end-to-end encrypted or not, because it is still being mined on the server side.

Just to illustrate how all-pervasive Google is, I registered an address for my rural property last year. After the paperwork was accepted by the county office, Google had me on the map the very next morning. They can't do a drive-by on the houses because all of the adjoining roads are private, but I can see the progress I have made on the property year over year on the satellite views. They can't however see what I am doing underneath the thick tree canopy that surrounds most of the property.

bb

Last edited:
StartPage.com search engine.

Proton Mail.

Proton VPN.

OpenOffice office suite.

Yeah, stuck with an Android phone, but I do nothing with it owned or operated by Google. Location is never turned on. And I'd rather throw the phone in the lake than use Google Assistant or Google Voice. (Yes I know, Google still tracks my phone, but if not them, Apple will do it.)
This is really great information. Ideally I want to get my whole business away from this stuff so when 'they come for me' it will be harder than just terminating their services for us. Maybe a burner phone then? I have a smartphone but it has only 2G data.

My recommendations:

I use Duckduckgo. I have a dumbphone that I actively use only. I switched from Google Maps to a Garmin GPS. I use LibreOffice and if for some reason I can't get a file to open properly, I have Office 2016 isolated in a Virtual Machine. I use Windows in a Virtual Machine for "higher risk" activities. Protonmail is very good and I have an account, but I use a private hosted account I have had for more than a decade. If I did ever go to an Android phone again, I would figure out how to open up the phone and remove the GPS antenna.

I think VPNs are pretty much worthless nowadays, despite how they are being promoted by the prepper/patriot crowd, that is unless you are in a country that censors like Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, etc. The information is being collected and sold on the back-end. From that perspective, it doesn't really matter if your data is end-to-end encrypted or not, because it is still being mined on the server side.

Just to illustrate how all-pervasive Google is, I registered an address for my rural property last year. After the paperwork was accepted by the county office, Google had me on the map the very next morning. They can't do a drive-by on the houses because all of the adjoining roads are private, but I can see the progress I have made on the property year over year on the satellite views. They can't however see what I am doing underneath the thick tree canopy that surrounds most of the property.

bb

Encyclopedia set

Typewriter and usps

Tracfone

Public library

Landline with rotary phone

Pay with cash at Goodwill and thrift stores

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

DDG and Brave browser along with IPVanish VPN while running Linux Mint OS here. I do my best to stay away from the corporate platforms as much as possible.