• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How would you fix this?

Toxa

Seeker
Seeker
How would you guys go about fixing this mess? I have a shovel and a wheelbarrow, what the best way to go about repairing my yard?

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think that I could "fix" it, so I would fill in the ruts and plant new seed. If you had to fix it quickly, maybe you could buy some sod and do some cutting and fitting.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
When I was a kid I remember my dad using a Roller. An overgrown barrel half filled with water, both ends attached to a pulling bar:

OR If ya got a lawn tractor:

Smooth it out as mush as possible then do what S.E. or BF said.

Either one should be RENTABLE .

Just my two cents.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Tox,

To me that is just soil compaction. The only way to fix it long term is to rent a roto tiller, grind it all out, then level it again.

I have tried patching ruts and it just never seems to work out.

JMO for sure, as I don't know squat about landscaping

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Tox,

To me that is just soil compaction. The only way to fix it long term is to rent a roto tiller, grind it all out, then level it again.

I have tried patching ruts and it just never seems to work out.

JMO for sure, as I don't know squat about landscaping
That's the only way to do it right, unless you want to pay someone to bring in a load of gravel and then pave a drive to the shed. Of course, if you don't want to rent or buy a tiller, you could use the shovel, dig it all up and then rake it out, reseed it. A roller might take out small ruts, but you have major problem with those ruts.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Fill the ruts with a sandy dirt, level and compact with a roller of something similar and overseed.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I just leave them and they kinda/sorta even out after the life span of the yard.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Dirt got compacted, un-compact it.

Hmmm, not using a cement pad? Maybe the shed placement does not look final yet?

Some thoughts . . .

Some kits do not come with a treated wood base, they come with pressure treated skids which may not be enough to keep wood rot in check, especially if you are not placing the shed on a cement pad.

When I stick-built (not kit) my shed for Michigan weather I used treated 2x10 framed base (floor joists with 16” centers), placed on a concrete pad. This shed should last forever as long as I paint it once in a while.

Best - Treated framed base on concrete pad
Better - Treated framed base on gravel
Good - Treated framed base on ground
Okay - Untreated base with treated skids on concrete pad
/
other variations not as good
/
Worst - of course untreated wood on ground​

Not as good a concrete pad but a possible okay substitute pad could be large pavers on gravel.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
really needs to dry out before you fix it....looks like he cut ruts loaded and unloaded...messing with mud just gets you more mud....dry i would just hire someone with a tractor to grade it out and reseed it

if you decide to put in gravel your base layer needs to be a MINIMUM size of 1.5"clean or a geotek fabric under your gravel

^^see crocketts post above ...you will need to level and support the building somehow and in that kind of soil just a couple of runners with leveling blocks under them is not going to cut it.

Toxa

Seeker
Seeker
Probably will call around and get a quote. Definitely will have to dry out some. But forcast is nothing but rain for a while. Also thanks for recommendations on getting a tiller and a roller. That's definitely an option. Not sure on the gravel yet. Have to think on it.
Spinal cracker that looks great man. But that kinda of drive way is out of reach for me brother.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Hey Tox,

If it is going to keep on raining, you might be able to use a potato fork like 'Fools' put a pic up,

Try to lift those areas up and then rake it and let the rain do the rest for now,

See how it comes out then patch and roll it after it dries out.

As ttaz stated, mud begets mud

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Dirt got compacted, un-compact it.

I use one of those a lot around the garden work. That one has too short of a handle though. I found one with a longer handle, not full but not short. Works better for someone taller. However, like others have said, ya gotta let that dry out some before you can do anything to fix it.

I have a building something like that, it was dry when it was delivered, I put in a crushed stone path to mine. I use the building as a wood shop. I can back the truck up near it to unload lumber or ply-board. If it is wet a lot you may find it necessary to do something, like gravel, cement, or blacktop, just for walking out to it.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If you have some trading gold laying around , I will bring a crew over there and we will remove the asphalt driveway and re-pour decorative stamped colored concrete all the way to the new barn.
In exchange for gold.
Unh, you anywhere close to me, cracker?

BF

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I bet it is tough keeping a train on those tracks. :2 thumbs up:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

No one can sneak up on me out here on the prairie.
And looking down Main Street not so crowded this evening.
And a huge Mother Lode strike in Squaw Valley just outside of CC.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Bottom feeder you called it man, that side stays swampy.
Why only that one side? Sounds like a drainage issue.

Is there a ditch along your road or anywhere else you could run a French drain to so that side can dry out, thereby becoming more usable to you?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What's the sales contract say? Does it say delivery and set up? Either way I'd be in the delivery service's face. They did that they fix that. Small claims court is fun.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
mtnman has a point. Take more photos and IF you paid for delivery and set-up. I'd go talk to the department manager and if no satisfaction there see the store manager. Get the Regional Manager's name if it's a big box store brand.

FYI, Some states the State Attorney General's office have an Ombudsman Division. If your does, and you get no satisfaction from the store. File a complaint via that office.
It consists of filling out a form and if asked send the photographs.

Even the big boy box store DO NOT like seeing letters with a state logo in the letterhead.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A few years ago I had the same issue with a shed delivered in the wet season. I ended up adding a bit of soil / sand and rototilling, then reseeding. No big deal.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
What's the sales contract say? Does it say delivery and set up? Either way I'd be in the delivery service's face. They did that they fix that. Small claims court is fun.
You may have a point if the shed was dropped off while the Toxa was away. But if as I suspect Toxa was there to direct traffic, there is no sense in clogging the courts with this. After the rear wheels were 2 feet off of the hard surface, a bit of simple pattern recognition would have predicted the outcome. The courts are already clogged with frivolity.

First thing I would do is step down the high spots while the ground is still mushy. In a few days it will look much better and give a better handle on how much fine tuning / filling is needed after it's dried up.

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Use the potato fork to aerate the ruts. Hydrology pressure will raise the ruts then rake it level... in time it will naturally smooth out. A small tractor with a box blade will also do the trick.

Flight2gold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
In the ruts where you can peel back the grass fill those with a mix of soil and sand and replace grass.
Here in Florida white sand with quartz works to fill and build up the grass. Also, it allows the water to drain better.
In the ruts where the grass is over compacted just fill with soil/sand and cover with new sod or plugs.
Then place a new sign at the edge of driveway.

Tinygrass.jpg just-say-no-ruts.jpg

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
[QUOTE="Toxa, post: 1186084, member: 587"I'm gona haul some gravel in [/QUOTE]

Looks like a plan. Be sure to truck in enough to build it up about 8 to 12 inches. Maybe lay down some larger stuff for a base.

BF

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Lookin' Good Toxa.

How about a distant photo like the first photo in #1 ?

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Good work, Tox. Looks like you're on the way. Are you going to lay down any type of pad (gravel or concrete) for the shed?

BF

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
some ole contractor wisdom....looks like your using 1/2-3/4 gravel....it will work fine to grade out and for foot traffic smaller sizes are much easier to handle ............for vehicle traffic in mushy stuff the bottom layer will have to be a minimum of 1-1/2 size and yes its a pain to shovel and grade but its about the smallest size that will firm up soft ground

Toxa

Seeker
Seeker

Here is what it looks like now. Done with gravel for now, if I want to extend it out in the future it shouldn't be that much trouble. Will be tilling up, racking up, seeding the tore up part. Again, will update after its done.
And its nice to have good neighbors! Would have been a lot more expansive/more time consuming with out good people around.