• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hunting for Morel mushrooms

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Today, my buddy & I went out hunting Morel mushrooms. It was a stellar beautiful day. Our weather in the PNW has been very wet this year & for the last week we have had cold days followed by 2 hot days, followed by 2 cold days & now 2 hot days with rain coming Thurs. The temperature variation has been 25 degrees overnight.
So, we thought the Morels would be out by now, as Late April to late May is our season here.
Our best area is in a burned forest, the first & second years. This is the second year & we should have gotten a dozen or more each.
We walked for 3 hours & about 3 miles, according to my buddy's ped-o-meter.
I got one Morel & my buddy zipped out !
7 INCH MOREL...jpg MAY 07 MOREL HUNT 1 (Medium).JPG MAY 07 MOREL HUNT 2 (Medium).JPG MAY 07 MOREL HUNT 4 (Medium).JPG MAY 07 MOREL HUNT 5 (Medium).JPG MAY 07 MOREL HUNT 9 (Medium).JPG

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I hunted morels a lot in HS, sure are tasty. Around here you'll come back with more ticks then shrooms

mtnclimberjim

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sorry boys. I just cleaned up. Wife and I just came home with 4 gallons in about 3 hrs. Started way early, even picked a few that were frozen. real fresh and blond growing out of an old burn area. I love the smoky flavor.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I went looking last year by the Canadian border. I got about 5 pounds and the other people in my group got a little more. I heard people several days earlier were hauling 15-20+ pounds each.

bb

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
the one thing we are known for in our family is morel mushrooms...

our season usually starts last week of march and runs about 3 wks total thru mid april.......season coincides with the ticks and poision ivy (LOL) first week of picking no ticks....by the end you gotta spray down and watch for posion ivy

this year we picked over 500 ......we supply all we want...plus provide them for a charity feed

if we end up with extras after all we give away we have learned how to preserve them .....we always split them in half and wash them with clean water then lay them out on towels and pat them dry then we toss them in dry flour/season salt mix and lay them out on cookie sheets on wax paper individually.....and pop them in the deep freeze....basicly flash freeze them ...few hours later we take them out when they are hard and then bag them quickly before they start to thaw and put the bags in the deep freezer........then to prepare just remove from freezer and deep fry just like you would any frozen food you would buy from the store........done correctly you can store the mushrooms up to 2 years that way

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It's nice to get them yourself, I'm always shocked at how much they sell for...

bb
around (southern missouri) here craigslist usually has them during season for 40-60$ a #....what do they bring in your area??

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...done correctly you can store the mushrooms up to 2 years that way
I've always been impressed with those who prep through food storage. Great post, ttazzman.

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Found some by accident, never on purpose. Love 'em...

But just remember that ALL mushrooms are sponges for toxins. They absorb the worst kinds. (So no picking near Chernobyl or Fukushima - or old "dumps"...)

... and always keep different sorts of picked mushrooms in separate containers/bags - because the spores of a poisonous one can spread on the good ones...